Author Topic: Daredevil  (Read 6604 times)

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
Daredevil
« on: April 02, 2015, 07:03:20 AM »
Am I right in thinking that Netflix are airing all the Daredevil episodes on Friday 10th April or have I been April fooled by a colleague at work? ???

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Daredevil
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:10:55 AM »
You're right. But if they also told you that google had no such info that was an April fool's joke :P

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 06:19:02 PM »
Awesome and well put-together show.  I inhaled it.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 03:36:10 AM »
We were all street level heroes once.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 05:15:23 AM »
Not seen it as yet, intending to watch over the weekend ;)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 01:40:41 PM »
Wow.  Extreme violence with a car door.  Other than the generic black outfit, I'm digging this series.  I wasn't sold on Fisk at first, but I am now.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 02:31:54 AM »
i'm 2 episodes in and it's quite good. and i rarely like anything.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 03:14:25 AM »
My hubby is fangirling so hard right now. (Yes, fangirling. The amount of squee transcends fanboyism.)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 05:29:20 PM »
I think we might finally have a telling of Daredevil that even most of the die-hard comic fans can get behind.  Personally, I like it a lot, but I have a friend who was more of a Daredevil fan than he was Batman (and he LOVES Batman), so when I hear his verbal stamp of approval, I will know it is a hit for all levels of fandom.
What was no more, is now reborn!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 08:40:52 PM »
Wow.  Extreme violence with a car door.
This.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 11:34:17 PM »
Had I still been even remotely on the fence about the series, Stick would have sold me on it.  My favorite episode so far.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 12:43:42 AM »
I wasn't sure about this series, but based on the notes here I've started watching it. The violence is pretty high; more than I normally would watch tbh, but the series works. ^_^

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 12:55:36 AM »
Agreed!  While the violence is more than one would expect, it is totally in context for the story being told, and therefore does not seem gratuitous.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 10:08:41 AM »
Wow.  I completely wasn't expecting that outcome with Wesley.  As I near the end of season 1, I'm really hoping for a season 2.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 10:55:41 AM »
Alright, who is the old apparently Chinese woman really?  Since her homeland is "a considerable distance farther" away than China.  A skrull, perhaps?

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »
Incredible show -- every time I think Marvel can't do better, they push the bar higher.

BTW -- Apparently the way you avoid the Frank Miller curse is not to mention his name? (or, you know,respect the material and do it well)

Just STUNNING fight choreography -- I've never seen anything like this good

"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 12:31:09 PM »
Does anyone else find themselves expecting R. Lee Ermey to come marching in and berate Fisk for hiding a jelly donut in his foot locker?
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 01:01:14 PM »
Alright, who is the old apparently Chinese woman really?  Since her homeland is "a considerable distance farther" away than China.  A skrull, perhaps?

A buddy of mine said the same thing, but then I pointed out a previous fan boy squee moment I had earlier in that episode....

Spoiler for Hidden:
if you look closely at the emblem that the blind workers are stamping on the drugs, its the emblem that's tattooed in the chest of the Steel Serpent.  A villain of the Iron Fist.  She's from Kun Lun, or however you spell that
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 04:56:31 PM »
I'd always assumed that was in the Kunlun mountains.  In looking it up, however, I read that there's an Iron Fist Netflix series coming as well?  If true, I hope it's at least as good as Daredevil.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 05:52:58 PM »
Wow.  Extreme violence with a car door.  Other than the generic black outfit, I'm digging this series.  I wasn't sold on Fisk at first, but I am now.

I think he looked better in the generic black outfit than he does later in the actual costume.   

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 08:15:34 PM »
I wholeheartedly disagree.  The proper costume was slick.  The horns are a necessity for a devil.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 12:48:58 AM »
I think he looked better in the generic black outfit than he does later in the actual costume.

I had the feeling that the uniform he puts on right after the black one is just an intermediate step (presumably to keep him from getting injured so much in each fight), while he moves towards a version that everyone will find more....familiar.  If that turns out to be true, they will really have pulled off a great character evolution in the space of a single season.

For those that have already seen the entire season, don't tell me which it is!  ;)

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 04:03:56 AM »
I'd always assumed that was in the Kunlun mountains.  In looking it up, however, I read that there's an Iron Fist Netflix series coming as well?  If true, I hope it's at least as good as Daredevil.

They've announced five series with Netflix so far. Daredevil was the first, next is going to be AKA Jessica Jones then Power Man/Luke Cage then Iron Fist then one bringing them all together as the Defenders.  But I think that last one might just be a movie

Out of their single hero series, I have to say I'm most looking forward to Iron Fist and Jessica Jones the most.  I've always been a big Iron Fist fan
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »
Does Daredevil have subtitles? 

There were some russian and spanish speaking scenes in episode 4 that didn't show up with closed captioning turned on.  Actually, none of the CC was working for me on both the TV and the computer.

I could follow the plot based on inflection and body language, but it would have been nice to know what they were saying

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 05:31:28 PM »
We had translations show up without CC on.

We also had signs (that are obviously in english) automatically translated to German (???) --- I don't know why, since CC/substitles is not on -- and we would NEVER choose German anyway -- why would only signs be translated to German? LOL
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 08:15:52 AM »
Initially, I was excited to see the costume but in waiting for it, the black mask and shirt eventually grew on me.  Honest.  I can't think of a cooler look.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 04:01:12 PM »
Make it yellow and green and it could just about be a good look for Iron Fist, but it could never grow on me for Daredevil.  I found it, at best, tolerable when encapsulated in an otherwise great show.  I found it unrecognizably cringeworthy before the season released.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 03:22:10 PM »
A mostly black outfit with red trim would look better.   While I agree Daredevil could use a helmet, I'm not sure making your head easier to see is a good idea.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2015, 02:19:22 AM »
The problem I had with the black outfit is why would someone who's trying to disguise the fact they're blind run around at night with their eyes obscured?

Well, that and it looked just like the one Daredevil wore in "Trial of the Incredible Hulk." :D

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2015, 02:57:04 AM »
Totally forgot about the Daredevil costume from that.

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 02:41:32 PM »
Anyone notice, in the last moments of the last episode, when Matt is talking to Karen and then offers his hand for her to take? Right about then, she gives him a weird look. Seemed to say to me, "Hey, I just got suspicious about you, caused by something you just said." I've watched that scene several times, but I can't quite understand what causes that look. Anyone have any insight?

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »
Daredevil has been renewed for a second season to air in 2016, according to the Facebook page yesterday  :D

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2015, 06:00:25 AM »
Anyone notice, in the last moments of the last episode, when Matt is talking to Karen and then offers his hand for her to take? Right about then, she gives him a weird look. Seemed to say to me, "Hey, I just got suspicious about you, caused by something you just said." I've watched that scene several times, but I can't quite understand what causes that look. Anyone have any insight?

I thought it was just a realization that they're going to start screwing soon look.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Finally finished the whole series so i can stop avoiding this thread. Kept expecting it to fall off in quality but it never did. Easily the best thing Marvel or DC have done imo. Really looking forward to the next season and the rest of the series. Wondering where they'll go with it next since they've already killed off the owl and cleared out the other crime leaders. Obviously Fisk will get off but they'll need some people to fill the void while he's on trial. could always bring in Silvermane, Hammerhead, Tombstone etc. i suppose or have the hand become more central. Was kind of surprised that they killed off Urich. Was expecting him to start some iteration of the pulse.

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 07:04:03 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
I finally finished this, and I loved it. I actually like the new costume a lot, and the origin of it was pretty cool. I was STUNNED when Urich died, but they did that really well, it was pretty emotional. I was bummed that he did not come up with the name Daredevil.

I am definitely looking forward to another season of this, and the other shows. These are characters I only know the basics of, so a lot of this is all new to me, as opposed to me watching X-Men and raging about how horribly they handle...well, everything.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 01:01:04 AM »
My husband gets a raging nerd-on when he thinks about them possibly bringing Bullseye in. Bullseye is his favorite comic villain ever, of all time, EVER...and he's a regular Daredevil presence. There hasn't been even a single peep about Bullseye, but he's so hopeful that it's kind of like a kid in a toy shop. I can practically hear the fangirl squee bottling up inside him.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal