Author Topic: Battle of the Powersets #1  (Read 5190 times)

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
Battle of the Powersets #1
« on: March 28, 2015, 11:10:42 PM »
Sonic Resonance vs Force Field
GO!

Brighellac

• Minion
Re: Battle of the Powersets #1
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 12:55:21 AM »
Sonic resonance more balanced set -buffs, debuffs and aheal

Ff - straightforward defense buffing

Hagis

• Minion
  • Still a newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 02:09:14 AM »
Not necessarily. Force Field was great at buffing defense, but it also had three re-positioning type powers: Force Bolt, Force Bubble, and Repulsion Bomb (and, okaaaay, Repulsion Field, although I admit I used it very rarely). Toss in the freeze-you-in-your-tracks Detention Field (if you were a LT or Minion), and you've got a Defender set with a more than a smattering of crowd control. I wasn't a true controller by any stretch of the imagination, but I could contribute meaningfully on that front. Force Bubble got used on both small and large teams; just not very often. Sonic has Sonic Cage, Sonic Repulsion, and Liquefy. It comes up on the short end of  the Control stick compared to FF.

I don't remember Sonic Resonance having a heal. Did they add that in towards the end of the game?

Overall, I think they're both awesome tools to have in the toolbox. I believe FF took a little more experience as a player to be able to get the most out of it, whereas Sonic had the benefit of a few more months/years of game development before it was introduced, and hence, was a little more intuitive to learn/play. 

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 03:51:44 AM »
I love FF, but I had a Necromancy/Sonic Resonance MM, a Banshee character and Sonic wins out, the debuffs from it make up for the fact that defense is generally a better thing to buff.

Liquify was an incredibly powerful tool in the right hands.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 04:25:26 AM »
Speaking as one of the first sonic/sonic fenders to level up to 50 (no PL jam session) on infinity, Sonic Res is a highly underrated set.

That combo made Tanksters out of entire teams regardless of team makeup. Forgetting sonic blast, it still could make a high moving terror out of any team.

Sonic res could hand out ~55% resistance to all but psi. Provide the group with a steady 30% -res to every group and place 60% -res on the boss/EB/AV/whathaveyou.
If things got too hairy, it could throw out an I win button for the team in Liquify (57% -tohit and 59% -Def).
Need something trapped while you take out it's minions there was sonic cage.
Mez protection for everyone on the team, got ya covered.

And oh yeah, end game incarnate stuff (when most players are already self Defense capped) you make them much more resilient too.

Bubblers could do some of this and might even have a slight upper hand very early in the game but overall I just don't see them comparing well.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Sonic Res on a defender is one of the easier characters to play with for endurance purposes... your team will take some damage (not enough to cause alarm) and you get a huuuuge end discount.

No heal though.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:18:38 AM by Ankhammon »
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 01:48:36 PM »

Neither Sonic nor Force Field... has a heal.

Sonic resonance more balanced set -buffs, debuffs and aheal

Ff - straightforward defense buffing

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 03:08:58 PM »
Neither Sonic nor Force Field... has a heal.

NO HEALZ!!??!?
/kick !!

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 03:49:33 PM »
NO HEALZ!!??!?
/kick !!

it happens. Then I call you expletive incarnate and go on to fame and fortune with another group... a better group... one who understands me. :)

Let me add this little tidbit to the discussion. With Disruption Field, it stays active through the whole mission if you want. This is a significant advantage over say a Rad Emission Defender. They have to anchor their Enervating Field (1.5 second cast time) and then hope that anchor doesn't dies or runnoft. 

Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 07:40:15 PM »
For personal preference, sonic has more to do, you don't have to depend on the other power set as much to stay active. Every time I tried FF I could help the team be way more survivable, but I ended up bored. Sonic I never had this problem for me, and I felt infinitely more useful to the team.

Granted, I knew many people who did not have this problem with FF (and I greatly appreciated that at times), it just wasnt for me.

(Thermal beats both IMO though. +resistance shields, aoe and single target heals, +attack and accuracy buffs, mez protection, a revive, and major enemy debuffs? Yes please.)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 12:02:17 AM »
I hated Sonic Resonance.. I thought the set was crap and badly designed, I thought the tier 9 Liquefy was crap. Sonic Cage was a waste. And I hated the fact that the Sonic Debuff was DEPENDENT on placing it on an ally making it totally useless when solo.. but the TRICK ARROW could get an Targeted AoE arrow with the same power on it..  that ticked me off

Force Field was Ok.. I made a MM with it and it was ok..

Sonic could have been better.. they were LAZY in designing it..

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 06:38:46 AM »
I hated Sonic Resonance.. I thought the set was crap and badly designed, I thought the tier 9 Liquefy was crap. Sonic Cage was a waste. And I hated the fact that the Sonic Debuff was DEPENDENT on placing it on an ally making it totally useless when solo.. but the TRICK ARROW could get an Targeted AoE arrow with the same power on it..  that ticked me off

Force Field was Ok.. I made a MM with it and it was ok..

Sonic could have been better.. they were LAZY in designing it..

Someone got woken up early from naptime.

You might not have personally liked it but some of us really enjoyed the set.

What you saw as lazy design, I saw as an evolution the devs were making toward more subtle sets that performed better as a string of powers than many of the older sets.

Some of the older sets were really rock/paper/scissors kind of sets. Hitting Fulcrum Shift and then crushing all for it's duration was really kind of a simpler design choice than you have to plan out when to use Sonic Cage or Liquefy.

IMO, the only thing really designed poorly was the recharge time for Liquefy. If they had it so it was usable (high rech) every minute it would have been better.   
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 04:58:22 AM »
Someone got woken up early from naptime.

You might not have personally liked it but some of us really enjoyed the set.

What you saw as lazy design, I saw as an evolution the devs were making toward more subtle sets that performed better as a string of powers than many of the older sets.

Some of the older sets were really rock/paper/scissors kind of sets. Hitting Fulcrum Shift and then crushing all for it's duration was really kind of a simpler design choice than you have to plan out when to use Sonic Cage or Liquefy.

IMO, the only thing really designed poorly was the recharge time for Liquefy. If they had it so it was usable (high rech) every minute it would have been better.

Im not saying everyone hated it.. I totally hated it..

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 06:55:14 AM »
Sonic Resonance vs Force Field
GO!

To me it would come down to which is more useful in the following;

• Teaming
  • Solo Play
  • AV Killing
  • What Power set to have along side

But this is all down to the individual choice of each player, myself I'd have gone for Sonic unless playing a Mastermind then would have to go Force.

Canine

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »
When playing against anything with endurance drains, I'd want FF over Sonic any day.

The ability to give everyone resistance to end drains through Insulation Shield, and not actually be even hit by a lot of such debuffs through +def made Malta and Carnies much less of a problem IME.

It was also, to a large extent, less hands on than Sonic, which made leveraging your primary more straightforward to me, given that I used FF as a secondary to Fire Control.