Author Topic: CONVERGENCE (DC COMICS)  (Read 8272 times)

hurple

• Elite Boss
Re: CONVERGENCE (DC COMICS)
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 09:59:46 PM »
Heh - reminds me of something I saw on the old DC Comics board where someone suggested they reboot every month so they always have number #1 issues.

Don't say that out loud.  They might hear.

DC has always seemed to screw themselves in one way or another.  They have *the* classic roster of heroes, but they keep futzing around with them, when, as Marvel proves time after time, all you have to do is write interesting characters.

The Spectre could and should always be Jim Corrigan, cop killed on the beat "before his time" who is allowed to return to Earth to act as the spirit of justice.  But, when sales are down, "oh my, we better change the secret identity of the Spectre.  That will raise sales!"  No!  Nobody gives a rat's fart who The Spectre is, or who Batman is for that matter, or what the heroes powers are... we care that the characters are well-written and are used to tell interesting, entertaining stories.  You don't need to change the name, just tell better stories. 

"Well, Bruce Wayne would never act like that."
"Why not?"
"He never has."
"So?  He's *fictional* he can act however the hell the writer wants him to act. Just tell me a good story"

It's maddening at times.  Hal Jordan is the Spectre?  Yeah, that suddenly makes me care about either.  Yawn.  Are the stories good?  No?  Then I'm not gonna buy it.

And that's why CoX is still causing so many people such heartache now that it's gone... It was entertaining and interesting, and fun.  If it came back but was re-named "Only Losers Play This Game" I'd still be as close to first in line to play again as I could get.

TinToySoldier

• Underling
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 11:43:57 PM »

And that's why CoX is still causing so many people such heartache now that it's gone... It was entertaining and interesting, and fun.  If it came back but was re-named "Only Losers Play This Game" I'd still be as close to first in line to play again as I could get.

Amen to that.  Any news on "Only Losers Play This Game" yet? ;)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 07:07:51 AM »
Amen to that.  Any news on "Only Losers Play This Game" yet? ;)

Yep. Call me a Loser as well.

Its funny how times change. The original Crisis was brought about because the suits in DC thought multiple Earths was too complicated for us dumb readers to understand. Then they spent the next 20 or so years making it MORE complicated to fit in everything from all those Earths into one.

Then the last 10 years or so with Final and Infinite Crisis we get back almost the same multiple Earths we had before the Crisis.

Guess us dumb readers are smart enough now to understand the concept.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 05:00:17 PM »
Yep. Call me a Loser as well.

Its funny how times change. The original Crisis was brought about because the suits in DC thought multiple Earths was too complicated for us dumb readers to understand. Then they spent the next 20 or so years making it MORE complicated to fit in everything from all those Earths into one.

Then the last 10 years or so with Final and Infinite Crisis we get back almost the same multiple Earths we had before the Crisis.

Guess us dumb readers are smart enough now to understand the concept.

Well, "Multiple Realities" has become more a staple of Sci-Fi than it was 30 yeas ago.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 07:13:04 PM »
Anybody have any thoughts on how the hell i'm supposed to file all these? do i stick them with their individual character folders or make a convergence folder with all the different mini-series in there? call it a retcon since i've only been dealing with it for a few years but i'm convinced all the reboots, new #1s, number rejoinders (which seem to always be miscounted), etc. is just to piss me off as i try to have an organized hard drive.

oh and the original crisis wasn't the original crisis - they used to do a crisis in JLA every year where they'd do something with earth 2's JSA. it got silly quickly.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 09:49:01 PM »
I would do the "Convergence" folder thing.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 11:19:16 PM »
that's what i'm going with. going to be a mess anyway what with 40 mini series and the main arc.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 11:43:30 PM »
You could just skip the whole thing and wait for the dust to settle.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 12:24:28 AM »
i won't be reading it anytime soon, just filing it away. i'm currently reading the full run of the bats titles and jla, but i'm only up to 1977.

primeknight

• Boss
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 06:53:01 PM »
And DC has needed a "super-spy" character for awhile... Maybe Dick Grayson can fit that bill.  At first I was against it, but really, if Nightwing isn't the leader of the Titans, he's really just a superfluous character.  And this seems an ingenious way to make him matter again.  I have not actually read any of this book, yet.  But I am intrigued with the idea.  I hope they do it right. 

Plus, they reverted Oracle back to Batgirl?  WTF?  From major player back to scenery... Poor Barbara Gordon  :'(

And don't get me started on Captain Marvel (oh, excuse me... Shazam.)  :o

I've always wondered why Barbra Gordon had to be either Batgirl or Oracle, but she couldn't be both.  I really don't get this.  She could and should retain both her oracle and Batgirl rolls or some derivative their off when the situation requires it.  Example: Chuck: he could play both the hacker geek and the action hero all in one hour episode. 

I really think Richard Grayson and Barbra Gordon could be the core of a new team, or possibly a re-imagined Birds of Prey.  Grayson could be Nightwing or some new persona and Gordon could take on a new Persona that's not Oracle or Batgirl, but a combination that capitalizes on all her strengths.  Owls are believed to be wise birds and it starts with the letter "O" so she could be named after an Owl or something?  They could bring back Cass or Steph or whomever to play the Batgirl roll.  Honestly having a Batgirl that can be the flirty foil counterpart to Robin is always nice.  I always like the Grayson/Gordon dynamic as well as the Drake/Brown one. 

Also, Marvel owning the rights to the Name Captain Marvel but not the Character is underhanded on Marvel's/Disney's Part, snatching it up when the character was in limbo.  Hopefully Rogue will steal Carol's power again...and more permanently this time.  I still don't entirely understand how DC can own the character of Captain Marvel with all that comes with it, but not be able to use the name Captain Marvel in a printed form.  It makes me dislike the concept of intellectual property even more...but that's another topic

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 09:04:13 PM »
I've always wondered why Barbra Gordon had to be either Batgirl or Oracle, but she couldn't be both.  I really don't get this.  She could and should retain both her oracle and Batgirl rolls or some derivative their off when the situation requires it.  Example: Chuck: he could play both the hacker geek and the action hero all in one hour episode. 

I really think Richard Grayson and Barbra Gordon could be the core of a new team, or possibly a re-imagined Birds of Prey.  Grayson could be Nightwing or some new persona and Gordon could take on a new Persona that's not Oracle or Batgirl, but a combination that capitalizes on all her strengths.  Owls are believed to be wise birds and it starts with the letter "O" so she could be named after an Owl or something?  They could bring back Cass or Steph or whomever to play the Batgirl roll.  Honestly having a Batgirl that can be the flirty foil counterpart to Robin is always nice.  I always like the Grayson/Gordon dynamic as well as the Drake/Brown one. 

Also, Marvel owning the rights to the Name Captain Marvel but not the Character is underhanded on Marvel's/Disney's Part, snatching it up when the character was in limbo.  Hopefully Rogue will steal Carol's power again...and more permanently this time.  I still don't entirely understand how DC can own the character of Captain Marvel with all that comes with it, but not be able to use the name Captain Marvel in a printed form.  It makes me dislike the concept of intellectual property even more...but that's another topic

Well Marvel was able to keep the name because they published a hero called Captain Marvel in 1968 in Issue 12 of Marvel Super Heroes.
DC really didn't get the rights to use the Fawcett stuff until 1972 or 73. So they couldn't use the name on a book title because of the Marvel hero, but he could still be called Captain Marvel in the stories themselves.

I don't think Marvel thought at the time to screw over DC - they used a name that was legally available to use at the time, since no one was publishing any books called "Captain Marvel".

And of course Captain Marvel Jr was the only super hero unable to use his own name in conversation.

"Oh hi, I'm Captain Marvel.....<LIGHTNING BOLT>..er Freddie Freeman,"