Author Topic: CONVERGENCE (DC COMICS)  (Read 8271 times)

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
CONVERGENCE (DC COMICS)
« on: January 27, 2015, 03:38:49 PM »
I've grown tired of all the spercial events in comics these days but I'm actually interested in this one since it will involve Pre New 52 characters.
Anyone interested or have any thoughts?

hurple

• Elite Boss
Re: CONVERGENCE (DC COMICS)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:05:23 PM »
The "New 52" has pretty much driven me away from comics, entirely.  I'm not sure what the thought process was... We'll make all-new characters, but give them the same names as the old ones, so people will LOVE them!?!?

I'm sorry, but if the new Jay Garrick is a prat, I'm not gonna like him, even if he has the same name as my favorite pre-new 52 character.

So, yep, I'm looking forward to getting to see the *real* Jay Garrick one more time. 

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 03:28:57 PM »
The "New 52" has pretty much driven me away from comics, entirely.  I'm not sure what the thought process was... We'll make all-new characters, but give them the same names as the old ones, so people will LOVE them!?!?

I'm sorry, but if the new Jay Garrick is a prat, I'm not gonna like him, even if he has the same name as my favorite pre-new 52 character.

So, yep, I'm looking forward to getting to see the *real* Jay Garrick one more time.

I feel the same way about Alan Scott. Nice to know I'm not alone.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 10:00:57 PM »
I feel the same way about Alan Scott. Nice to know I'm not alone.

Man, the new Alan Scott seems like a pompous windbag to me.

And all the new costumes... Gack.  They all suck.  Every.  Single.  One.  They should never, ever, ever let Jim Lee design another costume. 

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 01:47:01 AM »
So, I'm not the only one that thought that they made a huge mistake with the "New 52" universe. Nice to know.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 03:08:53 AM »
doesn't superman now shack up with wonder woman.  Always thought lois lane was Superman 'settling' and he could always have done better.

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 04:30:07 AM »
So, I'm not the only one that thought that they made a huge mistake with the "New 52" universe. Nice to know.

I thought they were making a mistake also. I t seemed like - lets throw away old readers to maybe attract  new readers - possibly. Or to let some writers put there preferred spin on old standards.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 05:42:18 AM »

I thought they were making a mistake also. I t seemed like - lets throw away old readers to maybe attract  new readers - possibly. Or to let some writers put there preferred spin on old standards.

Exactly.  About the only good thing to come of it is the relationship between Power Girl and Huntress.  That is golden! 

And DC has needed a "super-spy" character for awhile... Maybe Dick Grayson can fit that bill.  At first I was against it, but really, if Nightwing isn't the leader of the Titans, he's really just a superfluous character.  And this seems an ingenious way to make him matter again.  I have not actually read any of this book, yet.  But I am intrigued with the idea.  I hope they do it right. 

Other than that... ugh.

They destroyed Amanda Waller, she was an awesome character, now she's just another shadowy gov't operative.  DC already had tons of those.  8)

Plus, they reverted Oracle back to Batgirl?  WTF?  From major player back to scenery... Poor Barbara Gordon  :'(

And don't get me started on Captain Marvel (oh, excuse me... Shazam.)  :o

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 02:21:27 PM »
First a recommendation:  The run of Wonder Woman was great for 1-35, new creative team at 36 sucks.

Second an anecdote: My local comic book store owner has told me that his DC sales are much higher after the new 52.  A lot of new people jumped on.  Take that for what it's worth.

Third, commentary: Many of the changes, I didn't like at all.  Other than Wonder Woman, I don't think I stuck with any of the 'new' characters for more than a couple of issues. 

Finally: this Convergence thing seems dumb.  And a kick in the face to everyone who liked the old pre-Flashpoint universe.  Kind of like thinkin about where CoH would be now if NCSoft hadn't shut it down: "You would have a moonbase by now..."

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 08:51:18 PM »
First a recommendation:  The run of Wonder Woman was great for 1-35, new creative team at 36 sucks.

Second an anecdote: My local comic book store owner has told me that his DC sales are much higher after the new 52.  A lot of new people jumped on.  Take that for what it's worth.

Third, commentary: Many of the changes, I didn't like at all.  Other than Wonder Woman, I don't think I stuck with any of the 'new' characters for more than a couple of issues. 

Finally: this Convergence thing seems dumb.  And a kick in the face to everyone who liked the old pre-Flashpoint universe.  Kind of like thinkin about where CoH would be now if NCSoft hadn't shut it down: "You would have a moonbase by now..."

Yes I had heard that DC sales were up when they rebooted . How much of that was the free advertising  they got from the Dramatic , bold new direction [pat . pending.]  Oh well.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 09:44:44 PM »

Yes I had heard that DC sales were up when they rebooted . How much of that was the free advertising  they got from the Dramatic , bold new direction [pat . pending.]  Oh well.

What I've heard is that DC sales went up initially... but have since fallen far lower than they were pre-New-52.

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 10:54:09 PM »
What I've heard is that DC sales went up initially... but have since fallen far lower than they were pre-New-52.

That's what I heard also.. I'm afraid they are counting on hype for sales not long term readers.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »
I gave up DC all together at the New 52.

Where they though it gives a good point for new readers to get into the heroes, I thought it was a good point for me to jump off with the memories of the heroes I grew up with for 40 years or so.

This Convergence just seems like the 2015 version of Crisis of Infinite Earths.
Which I guess makes sense as it is 30 years since the original.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 03:03:54 PM »
This Convergence just seems like the 2015 version of Crisis of Infinite Earths.
Which I guess makes sense as it is 30 years since the original.
Don't get me started on the Crisis(es) that have been happening regularly.  It was cool the first time.  Now it's just old.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 04:55:36 PM »
Don't get me started on the Crisis(es) that have been happening regularly.  It was cool the first time.  Now it's just old.

I thought the first Crisis was an awesome story.

And the 10 year follow up - Zero Hour, was cool I thought.

However when they did Final and Infinite Crisises (Crisi ?) just to basically put back the multiple Earths they took away in 1985, well that was just too much.

And now they are doing it again.

And even Marvel - who I always respected because they never rebooted everything every 10 years or so - is jumping on the train.
They are having a new Secret Wars or something that will wipe out the main Marvel and Ultimate universes and replace them with one universe with elements combined from both.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 09:00:05 PM »

True!  Although, I'd be on board if they wanted to do one the right way.  Wipe everything out and start over with Action comics #1.  Publish it alone for a few months, and then start Detective.  Then, follow that up with... I dunno... Flash #1... etc.  Let the new universe grow and breathe without trying to pigeon-hole all the past into it or jump into the middle of some new, convoluted, "kinda what you remember, but not quite" continuity crap...

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 03:19:25 AM »
Marvel is following suit with the new secret wars, too.... :-\
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 05:37:48 AM »
Marvel is following suit with the new secret wars, too.... :-\

I mentioned that. They never resorted to a full scale reboot before. They tweaked things like Reed Richards and Ben Grimm served in WW2 - then as time moved forward they served in the Korean War or Vietnam War. But they never made a big deal out of it and it just was accepted as they new history. They did do one story I think where Ben visited some parallel Earth where everything was dated like the actual comics so the FF started in 1961 and by the present time the story took place Johnny Storm was in his 50's and everyone else was the age they should have been in real time.

But now with this Secret Wars (which I think is the third time they are using that title) they are going for an all out reboot like DC does every three weeks.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 03:11:50 PM »
Reminds me of the 90s when there was issue #1 fever.  The logic went like this: Issue #1's always sell a lot because they go up in value.  We'll sell tons of #1's to the speculators and keep cancelling series so we can always have more #1's coming out!  Alternate covers!  Foil!  Holograms! What could go wrong?! 

Now, it seems that rather than rebooting the comics one at a time, they reboot the whole universe to get that big sales spike for all the #1's at once.  Repeat when sales drop.

My sister owns exactly one comic: Spiderman #1 by Todd McFarlane.  I think that will be the comic that survives the apocalypse due to volume printed and the sealed bag.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 06:38:02 PM »
Reminds me of the 90s when there was issue #1 fever.  The logic went like this: Issue #1's always sell a lot because they go up in value.  We'll sell tons of #1's to the speculators and keep cancelling series so we can always have more #1's coming out!  Alternate covers!  Foil!  Holograms! What could go wrong?! 

Now, it seems that rather than rebooting the comics one at a time, they reboot the whole universe to get that big sales spike for all the #1's at once.  Repeat when sales drop.

My sister owns exactly one comic: Spiderman #1 by Todd McFarlane.  I think that will be the comic that survives the apocalypse due to volume printed and the sealed bag.

Heh - reminds me of something I saw on the old DC Comics board where someone suggested they reboot every month so they always have number #1 issues.