Author Topic: Lore AMA 2015  (Read 25442 times)

Eskreema

• Lieutenant
Lore AMA 2015
« on: January 11, 2015, 08:25:58 PM »
I'll start.

Was there any more going to be any more explored on Brother Abelard Vernoux, the school in Galaxy City(?), and would we ever meet more Inquisition (see the beginnings of carnival of shadows).

Was it harder to write back story for "good" or "evil" as powers became more and more grand in scale.  I can see power-mad evil types, but typically good peeps with high level power are fewer.  Yes, no?
Global: Iron Smoke.  Boards: Kractis Sky. Server:  Champion.  Main:  Eskreema

I don't always get sucked into a jet engine and live to talk about it, but when I do I use the new ICD-10 V97.33XD code.  Because things like that need to be trended by your insurance company and your money!

Fescu

• Minion
Re: Lore AMA 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 03:24:24 AM »
I have one too.

As far as I know there were never any actual retcons when Going Rogue went live, and the old lore states that Praetorian Earth did have a Rikti Invasion. A few of the new missions even have war walls in them. So how come the populace doesn't appear to know about the Rikti?
Speech is given, silence is earned.

Kurrent

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 03:37:10 AM »
I'll add my single biggest unanswered question at this point.

At one point during your Incarnate character's multiple lengthy dialogues with Prometheus, he clearly states that Earth's Well was originally a person.  Who the heck was it (and if can get a second question, how did this person wind up as a Well?)  Promie also stated that it was a man at one point, I think, but he wouldn't give any other clues.

Seriously, this question has bugged me for about five years now.

K

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 09:42:31 PM »
Ok obscure one; Is Eisensturm still alive? Its implied Panzer's predecessor was a member of the storm korps, and we know several of them survived to be judged, so is their leader still kicking in prison? Or did he die at the hands of the first hero brigade? Speaking of which, the storm korps are kind of weird in how little they are mentioned; after all they are implied to have seriously injured statesman at Normandy and they kidnapped the king of England in addition to being the 5th column of WWII so the fact that they are only mentioned like twice is kinda' strange.

Also Requiem. Seriously. Requiem. Whats up with Requiem? Did he allow the dirge to take him over? Or is Ridolfo uzzano being held against his will like Arakhn's Nictus test subjects?

Finally, was there any gonna' be anything with Eochai and the tuathe? Or were they just the sort of one time note fantasy/Halloween group that were exclusively for Halloween and croatoa?

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 11:49:38 PM »
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 11:49:09 AM by Captain Electric »

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 12:43:40 AM »

FatedTitan

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 05:23:07 PM »
Ok after browsing through all the previous AMAs, I wanted to throw a few in here and hopefully get an answer :D

1.  The Shadow Shard was by far my favorite location.  In fact, I claimed the minionless island off to the side of The Storm Palace as my home, logging my two mains out there, staring into the sky, as my final hoorah to CoH.  So here are a couple SS related questions for you:

A. I remember looking into the .pigg files once (sorry I broke ToS) and noticed there were some zone ideas like The Factory Cubes and the Garden of Memories that were never fully realized.  Were there any plans to explore these areas?

B.  Ruladak, Faathim, and Lunaruu were all very interesting and distinct personalities in the Shadow Shard.  Did you ever plan to include Chularn the Slave Lord, Kuularth the Scavenger, Aloore the Watcher, or Uurular the Mirror? 

C.  We fought an Aspect of Rularuu in the Cathedral of Pain trial, but that was taken offline soon after release.  I actually think my SG (United Heroes Brigade represent!) completed the trial all of three times before it was never seen again.  Why did it get taken down, especially since it gave us an Item of Power?  And was there a plan to bring base raiding back online when this problem got fixed? 

I suppose it never did get fixed since that was 2006 and we both know it never returned.  That was a really fun experience to do with my SG going against another to obtain our IoP and we successfully defended it.  It also gave new meaning to how you designed your base.

D.  We fought an Aspect of Rularuu in CoP trial, but we never actually fought Rularuu the Ravager.  Was this planned to ever happen?

Now for non-SS related questions!

2. What was your favorite trial to work on?

3.  Did we ever file those TPS reports?

4.  Is Manticore's true identity Oliver Queen?  If so, who would he believe most has failed this city?

5.  What was the least-acquired badge in CoX history, outside of the Gullible badge mentioned in a previous AMA that no one found?

6.  I loved the Paragon City Dance Club back when it was hidden away in a warehouse, a secret to all those who didn't know about it.  Then, with the revamp, DJ Zero seems to have gone public and made easy access for anyone who would like to come in.  While I don't think the change in scenery was a bad thing by any means, I do wonder if you think that giving it a map icon and it no longer being a secret was the best idea.

On a less CoX related note, do the devs still keep in contact with each other for the most part? 

And lastly Matt, if you are reading this, I saw above you were looking for a job.  I have no idea the job climate or anything on the West Coast, but you should check out Riot Games.  They seem to always be hiring and your resume has to be pretty impressive, though I'm not sure if that's the style of game you're desiring to work on.

exclius

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 06:15:56 PM »
What can you tell us about the Star Sentinels? Were they basically just an analogue for the Green Lantern corps? What kind of powers would they have?

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 08:55:16 PM »
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 11:49:25 AM by Captain Electric »

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:04:56 PM »
It's a miunderstanding, that's all.  I want to emphasize a few things, and then hopefully we can continue with the questions.  :)

- Although I'm fairly certain that Matt will probably be happy to answer these questions, please keep in mind that he's focusing right now on landing his next project.  The games industry is an extremely volatile one, and frequent layoffs and shuffling are an unfortunate consequence of getting to work on really cool projects.  I guess what I'm getting at is that is that while Matt has been very gracious in answering these things, for right now, please give him some space and be understanding if he can't get to these right away.

- There was some speculation in whether I or the Titan Network were questioning the credibility of Captain Electric, "throwing him under the bus," so to speak.  That's not the case at all.  He's been a really active and valuable member of the Titan Network forums for a long time, and I really appreciate all the hard work he's done in keeping the community engaged, including driving the effort this year in putting together another AMA for 2015.  I think he's a cool guy, really.

- If you're sensing "drama", there's not really any.  It was just kind of... well... you remember that show Three's Company, how someone would tell someone else something, and it would be misinterpreted and hilarious hijinks would ensue, but at the end of the day everyone would hug?  Well, take out the hilarious part and substitute confusing in its place, and you get the idea.  Oh, and technically we're not hugging.  There were actually multiple wires crossed, with Massively OP originally calling our forums the City of Titans forums (undoubtedly because Justin has put out several entries lately on City of Titans, saw something CoH-related, and probably just typed it up out of habit).  Point is, there was never any malice or ulterior motives going on, just a bit of confusion.

So anyway, whether you've come here from Massively OP or just follow the forums on your own, throw out some questions, and we'll prevail upon the good graces (and the ability to make time) of Matt to answer them.  Carry on!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:51:49 AM by TonyV »

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 10:11:22 PM »
In the Magisterium trial, it's a little fuzzy, but I recall seeing Tyrant during the initial "Defeat 250 IDF", before  Chimera, Nega-Pendragon and Shadowhunter make their appearance. Was this an Easter-egg, or part of the story line? Could he have been defeated at that time if engaged? I could never get to him fast enough to try..
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

CzarBal

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 04:52:09 AM »
Who is Black Heart and why are all the hospitals in the Rogue Isles named after him/her/it?

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 03:06:34 PM »
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 11:49:38 AM by Captain Electric »

Jaybonaut

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 12:05:46 AM »
What questions could people still have?  We have their lore bible and have several years of questions answered, so I'm curious.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 12:55:48 AM »
What questions could people still have?  We have their lore bible and have several years of questions answered, so I'm curious.

;D I still have plenty, although I'd imagine the Developers wouldn't continue the AMA simply for the sake of my curiosity, but this thread has already proven that others have questions.
Speaking of how bout another Question?  :P

What Exactly were the pilots within the Nemesis War-hulks supposed to be? They almost look like Black Suit spider-man if he was mummified. Are they automatons? Was there any particular reason that the pilot needed to be in a tank of liquid? Or was it purely for the awesome factor (They are awesomely designed by the way.)

Also a bit more of an out of game question; Was Hero One ever considered as a candidate to replace Statesman after his death? I know Tyrant was considered, but I figured Hero One might have been a quite likely option considering he's established to be (Roughly) on the Statesman's power level (He is an incarnate after all) and in addition to that whilst he is tainted by the Rikti, he is also very much still alive.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 06:47:09 AM »
Did you even read the thread? You already have examples of questions.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 11:57:30 PM »
Removed a bunch of posts that had nothing to do with brainstorming questions for the AMA.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

SilverDemon66

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 02:11:17 AM »
What sort of future power sets/power proliferations were in store for us for the upcoming issues?

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 04:35:43 PM »
What was the thinking behind the proposed Electric Hammer set? I'm curious because coh's strength came from the sheer number of different flavors you got to attack the same content with. EH never happened but paragon studios did a wonderful job of making each new set standout without (much) power creep.

Did you ever come up with a storyline and think: "ok, we need x power if we're going to write it like that..."
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

OminousVoice

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 01:24:32 PM »
According to lore, the giant hero Talos is entombed beneath his namesake zone. Did you ever consider unearthing him as part of a zone event/plot/arc/thingy?

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 03:27:27 AM »
Felderburg is the extremely dedicated soul behind the Paragon Wiki's AMA reference, among other things.

Well, thanks for that, although I've been busy with work & school, so I am less dedicated these days.

I would suggest that people check out the existing Lore AMA page that Captain Electric posted, but ALSO the "Sorted" Lore AMA page:

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted

Yes, it is still a work in progress, but there are four good reasons to take a look:

• It has the content of the Lore AMAs unhidden by spoiler tags and numbered. Which makes it easier to just use ctrl+f or 'find in page' to find questions on a certain topic.
  • Because each question has its own section, you can link to a question directly, like so: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted#117 (replace the "117" with the number of the question you are directing to as needed, up to 360). I have used this to good effect elsewhere in the forums - it's much easier than directing people to the Lore AMA page proper and having them find a question themselves.
  • Over a third of the questions have actually been sorted. I swear I'll get the rest... SoonTM. But you may be able to find what you're looking for even in the first 130 or so questions (and if not, ctrl+f is your friend!).
  • I just added all the unanswered questions in their section, so when we get the official AMA form (or whatever) I (or whoever) can ask them again - last AMAs it didn't seem that they were included by default.

Edit: I forgot to add: we should get some stuff like this posted in the OP, particularly what Captain Electric wrote.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 04:22:31 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 05:13:47 PM »
A couple of quick questions that aren't directed towards lore (so feel free to delete this comment) But is there any kind of limit as to how many questions someone could ask? Obviously I'll keep the amount of questions I have somewhat reasonable, but I have a lot of CoH lore questions and these AMA's only happen once a year. Secondly has there been any kind of confirmation whether Matt Miller and the other developers are doing the AMA this year, for Certain? Just wondering.

Like I said, a little off topic, so feel free to delete this comment later, hopefully once the questions are answered. :)

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 06:37:04 PM »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:55:00 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 07:26:55 PM »
As far as I know there were never any actual retcons when Going Rogue went live, and the old lore states that Praetorian Earth did have a Rikti Invasion. A few of the new missions even have war walls in them. So how come the populace doesn't appear to know about the Rikti?

Well, on the Wiki we (ok, I) decided to remove the reference to a Rikti invasion on Portal Corp's page (see the discussion here: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Talk:Portal_Corporation#Praetorians_and_Riktis ). Yes, there was indeed official confirmation that they had suffered an invasion years before GR was released, but given that all the new lore directly contradicts this, we (I) felt it best to remove that reference. There is further discussion of War Walls and the Rikti as well here: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Talk:Praetoria#War_Walls

None of that answers your question in full, though.

At one point during your Incarnate character's multiple lengthy dialogues with Prometheus, he clearly states that Earth's Well was originally a person.  Who the heck was it (and if can get a second question, how did this person wind up as a Well?)  Promie also stated that it was a man at one point, I think, but he wouldn't give any other clues.

Well, we know it isn't Zeus, since he is referred to as a champion of the well, not the well itself, in a previous AMA: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted#292 I'm not sure it would be a "person" as such, but more a being of untold power, or something like that.... but I don't know. I still have many questions about the Wells and such.

Finally, was there any gonna' be anything with Eochai and the tuathe? Or were they just the sort of one time note fantasy/Halloween group that were exclusively for Halloween and croatoa?

Just gonna throw it out there that Croatoa was not a "Halloween" zone; it was added to break up the monotony of nothing but city: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted#20 That doesn't answer your question, but just noting.

What can you tell us about the Star Sentinels?

What can you tell me about this group? I don't recall hearing that name, and the wiki has nothing, as far as I can tell. I must know!

Who is Black Heart and why are all the hospitals in the Rogue Isles named after him/her/it?

The following quote is from the Canon Fodder threads: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Black_Heart_Memorial_Hospital

Quote from: Manticore
Black Heart is an homage to Sacred Heart Hospital. If there is a Black Heart in the Rogue Isles, he or she has yet to make a move.

I suspect "homage" isn't quite correct - perhaps "reference" would have been a better word?

Also a bit more of an out of game question; Was Hero One ever considered as a candidate to replace Statesman after his death? I know Tyrant was considered, but I figured Hero One might have been a quite likely option considering he's established to be (Roughly) on the Statesman's power level (He is an incarnate after all) and in addition to that whilst he is tainted by the Rikti, he is also very much still alive.

If you go to the sorted AMA and ctrl+f "Hero 1" you'll find what I think reasonably answers your question: there's a variety of questions about a redemption arc - Hero 1 would likely be part of a Rikti factions oriented storyline rather than a replacement for Statesman.

Fescu

• Minion
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 06:28:45 PM »
Well, on the Wiki we (ok, I) decided to remove the reference to a Rikti invasion on Portal Corp's page (see the discussion here: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Talk:Portal_Corporation#Praetorians_and_Riktis ). Yes, there was indeed official confirmation that they had suffered an invasion years before GR was released, but given that all the new lore directly contradicts this, we (I) felt it best to remove that reference. There is further discussion of War Walls and the Rikti as well here: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Talk:Praetoria#War_Walls

None of that answers your question in full, though.

I don't think I understand how the new lore contradicts the official confirmation earlier on of a Rikti War. While it's true that there isn't any mention of Rikti in Praetoria, I don't see how that rules out any possibility of them being there. Maybe they didn't immediately trace Nemesis' invasion back to Primal Earth and had to look around for a bit. We know from Serpent Drummer's arc that the Rikti at least know about the existence of the Praetorians, or that they did by the time Issue 10 was released. Maybe the Praetorian government was able to keep the invasion secret. We also know that some of the new lore was built around the lies that the Praetorians promoted, so I'm just not sure. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I think it's best to wait until we get something from Positron before we make up our minds one way or the other.

Now I have another question. The first mention of the Center's age that I know about was in Viridian's story arc when he said that the Center was "over 90 years old," and that Viridian first became a contact in 2006 with the release of Issue 7. Fast forward to 2015, that would make the Center at least 99 years old now. Were there any plans as to who would succeed him as the leader of the Council if he were to die?
Speech is given, silence is earned.

bmorrison

• Underling
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 01:00:14 AM »
OK is Nemesis an Iconian plot? or are the Iconians a Nemesis plot?

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2015, 01:57:13 AM »
OK is Nemesis an Iconian plot? or are the Iconians a Nemesis plot?

All things considered I wouldn't expect Matt Miller to want to say too much about the Iconians at this point.

bmorrison

• Underling
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 04:37:49 PM »
I know but I had to make the joke here at least.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2015, 07:10:42 AM »
Matt Miller has now officially announced that the 2015 City of Heroes Loregasm is open for questions.

#CityofHeroes fans! It's that time of year again. #Loregasm. Here's the form to submit your question: http://goo.gl/forms/B3k5ebv5Zy

Instead of a document that everyone can go into and edit, there's a form for submitting your questions this year.

Please be sure to copy your questions from this thread over to the form in order to submit them.

Questions may be submitted no later than 4/28, so you only have a few days to get your questions in.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2015, 05:01:11 PM »
Please be sure to copy your questions from this thread over to the form in order to submit them.

Do note that it is limited to ONE question per submission. I'm sure you could try to game the system, but there's probably a reason for that.

I am disappointed in this though, because it means we can't see if a question is asked already, so we may end up wasting our question on something someone else asked.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 08:16:21 PM »
I would like to know more about the planned redemption of Tyrant.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2015, 10:16:25 PM »

I think that was pretty well covered in some of the previous AMA's. From what I remember they were going to set him up as a resurrected Statesman and he'd help spearhead the war against Batallion, thus turning the tide. He'd eventually voluntarily reveal his true identity to the public thus proving that they did not need one singular figure to bind them all together and that they could accomplish great things without any kind of figurehead like him or Statesman. I can't really remember what was planned for him after that though.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2015, 10:19:38 PM »

Then you should submit that as your question in the google doc http://goo.gl/forms/B3k5ebv5Zy

But yes, it was reasonably well covered in previous AMAs http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2015, 04:41:08 AM »
Heres one.  On the topic of good/evil, were there ever plans for plots in which, some decisions may seem like a lesser evil turn out to be unforgivingly evil, or maybe a seemingly heroic choice at first would lead to committing especially evil acts out of necessity?
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2015, 09:10:17 PM »
I am disappointed in this though, because it means we can't see if a question is asked already, so we may end up wasting our question on something someone else asked.

I'm also worried we'll get repeat questions from previous years, as has happened before, but I don't know that there's any way to avoid that, save for compiling the questions collectively, reviewing and comparing, and then submitting an edited list of new questions.

In any event, I put in my question. I'm sure I had others that I wanted to have answered over the years, but I've plum forgotten!

MMODesigner

• Positronic
  • Underling
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 08:07:13 PM »
Hey everyone, Positron here.

I've closed the form for submitting questions, and am in the process of answering them. A few people seemed concerned about the new format. Here's why I am using Google Forms and not a shared Google Doc:

A few people would monopolize the doc and ask tons of questions. Since I can't get answers to everything, I wanted to give as many individual people as I could a shot at getting their question answered, as opposed to me answering 5 questions from a single person and 0 from you. (I'd be more answering 1 from them and 0 from you, if that makes any sense).

Also, every year I would close the Google Doc at (or later than) the time I had disclosed, and then, for DAYS afterwards, I would get emails from Google of "request from Soandso to edit the doc" over and over and over (I had to make a rule in Gmail to auto-delete them, but the format would change every year). Hopefully this won't happen with the Google Form.

If you were concerned that you were going to "waste" your question asking something someone else asked, a quick glance shows that all the questions are unique in some way.

If you want me to go back and answer every unanswered question from every previous Lore AMA, I am going to be brutally honest with you: it's not going to happen. If I couldn't find the person to answer it in 2013, I can tell you right now they are even LESS inclined to answer it in 2015. All of the people who worked on CoH have moved on to new projects and most simply have no desire to dredge up the past answering questions about Rikti mating habits. There may even come a day where I feel that way (gasp!), but so far that isn't the case.

Now, I did come across a comment that isn't going to make it into the official responses list, but I wanted to comment on here:

Captain Electric contacted me on Steam and asked, back in March, if I was going to be doing a Lore AMA again this year. At the time I had -just- been laid off from Cryptic Studios, so it was seriously the last thing on my mind, and was still a month away (it's not like this is a huge effort for me to set up). I told him as much, and that yes, there would probably be one.

A few days later I saw a tweet from MMORPG.com saying that I was doing another Lore AMA. Again, it was the furthest thing from my mind at the time (finding a job and all was the number one priority), so I replied to my former editor over there with "lol. wut?" as I was confused where the information would have come from, as I never said anything officially to anyone.

I then got more messages from CE on Steam. CE said that I threw him under the bus, that I called him a liar, that the community was basically running his name through the mud and he wanted a word from me to restore his credibility. He "tipped" (his words) MassivelyOP.com about the Lore AMA, and their article mentioned that it would be happening here on the Titan Network forum (I have no idea how they got this idea, it was never the intention as I had always planned on using a Google Form for the 2015 AMA). No one from MassivelyOP contacted me for verification (they should have, I am very active on twitter and would have seen and replied to them).

In the AMA comment Captain Electric added to the Lore AMA doc he mentioned that he had logs of our Steam chats and shared them with Titan Network staff. I am very uncomfortable with this. He asked why I didn't just say "no comment"? It's because I don't feel like I should have to when I am having a one-on-one conversation with a fan. That's what I thought I was doing. If I'd have known I was going to have my words quoted I would have behaved very differently. Yes, I am press trained, and yes, I know that there is no "off the record" even when talking to fans, but I honestly don't know how a simple "yes, there will likely be an AMA this year" got spun into "Matt is definitely doing one, and it's going to be hosted over on the Titan Network" because that's something I'm pretty sure I'd remember saying.

The likely scenario is that MassivelyOP interpreted the fact that there was a forum thread here where people were prepping questions with the fact that I said I would likely do one and assumed that the thread is where it would happen. So when MMORPG.com picked it up (which is where I saw it), I was genuinely befuddled and responded in kind. Never did I say that Captain Electric made everything up and that he is a liar. Could people interpret that from what I did say? Seems that they did.

Now, I didn't see the need to come to these forums at the time and clarify everything as, again, my main focus was to find a job and not defend the honor of Captain Electric who was apparently misquoted. Seeing as Captain Electric has made it clear that he never wants to speak to me again, I guess this is going to fall on deaf ears. CE was overenthusiastic in tipping off MassivelyOP, and in that, communication was cloudy and I was signed up for something I never intended. I wish MassivelyOP had contacted me for verification of the story and things would have been made clear.

Those of you who called Captain Electric a liar were also acting on too-little information. I can see how you could interpret what I said as "ZOMG CE made everything up" but that wasn't the case. I am sorry Captain Electric had to go through this, all because of my flippant tweet.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2015, 08:56:47 PM »
Positron, thanks for the reply!

A few people would monopolize the doc and ask tons of questions. Since I can't get answers to everything, I wanted to give as many individual people as I could a shot at getting their question answered, as opposed to me answering 5 questions from a single person and 0 from you. (I'd be more answering 1 from them and 0 from you, if that makes any sense).

This makes sense. I had thought the effort to limit things was more a result of a lack of time or interest from you / other devs; your motivation of fairness to all people who want to ask questions makes sense. It seems like this may, in the long run, result in lots of questions going unanswered, but I have to learn to temper my "I want all the answers NAO!" mentality with reality :P

If you were concerned that you were going to "waste" your question asking something someone else asked, a quick glance shows that all the questions are unique in some way.

This is super duper awesome and good. Hopefully we'll be more organized next year.... I'd like to see coordination amongst us fans, instead of "hey, so, here are some questions we may get to ask at some point" and then... that's it. We'll do better next year.

If you want me to go back and answer every unanswered question from every previous Lore AMA, I am going to be brutally honest with you: it's not going to happen. If I couldn't find the person to answer it in 2013, I can tell you right now they are even LESS inclined to answer it in 2015. All of the people who worked on CoH have moved on to new projects and most simply have no desire to dredge up the past answering questions about Rikti mating habits. There may even come a day where I feel that way (gasp!), but so far that isn't the case.

...does anyone want to know about Rikti mating habits?

Well shoot, now I'm curious. I am disappointed about the previously unanswered questions staying unanswered; c'est la vie.

I suppose you could just arrange the release of the latest story bible - that would probably answer a lot of questions  ;D

[Captain Electric Bugaloo]

From my personal perspective, having read only what's in this thread initially, I literally had no idea what was going on (it looked like a lot of posts here had been deleted by mods or something - I don't think I ever saw anyone call CE a liar in this thread). Sounds like Massively or MMORPG or whoever went way too far in assuming things, and then people went too far in assuming things about your tweet, which is what I gathered after doing research after CE's latest post here. Personally, I was just very confused.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2015, 02:00:49 AM »
Positron, and anyone else interested, I'm going to do my best to describe the game of telephone as it occurred from my perspective (bystanders can take it as a lesson in what not to do); but more importantly, this is all framed around an apology. To Matt Miller, to the community, and to the staff members at the Titan Network who tried to keep me level-headed. It may have been a game of telephone, but I started it. After reading Matt's post above, it is clear to me that I misinterpreted him long before MassivelyOP.net and MMORPG.com misreported my tip. Much credit to the Titan Network for trying to convince me of this.

Matt, when I reached out to you for comment about doing another AMA, I remember what you told me very clearly. You said "My job search is my number one priority. I'll probably be using another open document format like last year." That word isn't actually where the game of telephone began, but it's important because of how I interpreted it. It's clear, after your post above, you were saying you were probably going to be answering another AMA, and that's the format you were (at that moment) considering.

What I heard was different: you'd probably be using another open document format like last year, implying vis a vis you'd already decided to do it, but weren't yet sure how. Now, I've run that misinterpretation by a few people in the short time since I read your explanation, and they all agree they'd have taken it the same way I did. I don't think that means I should be off the hook for it, but I'll get back to that in a moment.

The game of telephone began with a non-mutual understanding of the nature of our relationship. Something that actually came out of my narrow-minded mouth in the past few hours was, "Really? Fans really do that? Just contact developers out of the blue for chit chat?" The resounding reply was yes, yes they do. The simplest way to put this is, bluntly, I've never approached any developer for chit-chat, ever. Only when I wanted specific questions answered for the community, or, after a game closed, to express sympathies and thanks. Small-talk occasionally follows, but never by my initiation; my goal is always to show gratitude for their time by wasting as little of it as possible.

...All of which is context, context I should have given you. And, being completely honest, I thought I did give it to you, but I guess I didn't. I don't save chat logs; I took a screenshot of the one chat I shared with Titan staff. (More about that in a moment.)

During last year's lead-up to the AMA, when I passed along your comments to the community, you gave the impression that you're a very to-the-point guy, something I appreciate during a pointed conversation. My naive expectation was that you knew I put you on my Steam friend list for one reason, and one reason only. To contact you once a year, to help give fans a month-long head start on gathering their questions on the Titan forum, so we'd all have a productive AMA when you announced your live document (or whatever you'd decide to use) was going up. I still think there is a good idea in there somewhere, but my approach to it was very clearly terrible, and I'm sorry.

We did this last year and that worked out fine, which led me through my own fault to an assumption about the nature of our communication. But the biggest mistake of all is one I made last year too, despite how that went: I played telephone. A better way to do it would have been to ask you about the event and offer to set up a thread, after you made an official announcement about it.

Your post above is reasonable and clear, but there is one thing that made me uncomfortable too. You did get more messages on Steam; two more I think, practically begging you to clarify your tweet, because it was causing very negative repercussions that neither of us intended. If I were anyone else reading your post, I might think this Captain Electric fella was sending furious buckets of hate mail. That wasn't the case. My goal in contacting you at that point, which I made clear, was not to seek any kind of apology, but to cooperatively deescalate the community's reaction to your tweet.

But my last and supposedly final message to you was incredibly angry. I had no idea that we were on two very different pages from the start, and how that was very much my fault. All I could think was, any time it has ever been brought to my attention that I've inadvertently caused some distress, I've taken, at minimum, thirty seconds, used the keys on my keyboard, and corrected my faux pas. I've done just that, more than once (way more than once). People have always held me to that standard, and rightly so. So I felt indignant, and spent the past few weeks feeling indignant, after you replied, pretty bluntly, that it wasn't going to happen. On that day especially; I was getting flak from Titan about interrupting your job search, while watching you tweet about an 11-hour Pillars of Eternity binge, and I was beginning to assume the worst about you. The one screenshot I took of one of our conversations was just so that somebody would believe me that we had actually talked about the AMA. Only Titan staff ended up with it; my friends all refused, they said they didn't need proof to believe me. Still, my credibility aside, it was embarrassing to see something for the community derailed by all the jokes. Just to keep my conscience clear, I don't think anyone ever actually used the word liar.

I haven't lambasted MassivelyOP or MMORPG here, simply because I don't want to portray them as anything more than additional participants in the game of telephone I started. Yes, MassivelyOP misreported my tip; they later corrected it, but not before MMORPG picked that up and ran with it. Additionally, you are saying you wish they would have verified with you, which sounds rational.

But I'm going to throw myself onto the fire here. I just dug up a copy of the message I sent MassivelyOP. Massively uses a comment form on their website, but I copied the text into a text file, as fate would have it, so that I could later incriminate myself. It is one tremendous piece of crap, and, much like the fish that keeps getting bigger, not at all as detailed as I remember:

I'm giving this annual event a little love to help to get the word out. Two and a half years ago, Positron said he would keep making AMAs every anniversary as long as the questions kept coming. Recently I contacted him, and he's aware a thread has been set up on the Titan Network for people to gather their questions in anticipation of this year's AMA "Loregasm". I'll keep the thread updated. (My post is the fourth from the OP, owing to a thread merge.)
*A moment later, I sent them an "oops" message with just the thread's link.

TonyV swears this was all just a little misunderstanding. But maybe that's letting me off too easy. Would anyone want me doing their PR after reading all of this? I am sorry Positron had to go through this, all because of my terrible communication.

Edit: minor correction, it was two screenshots, it wouldn't fit readable in one shot.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:25:03 AM by Captain Electric »

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2015, 03:10:01 AM »
I'm sorry, I think your words were actually, "...I'm thinking of using an open document format." Maybe I should turn on Steam chat logs, but that's always felt kind of icky. And I still misinterpreted your thought process in any case.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:42:26 AM by Captain Electric »

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2015, 12:34:35 PM »
Big hug, warm fuzzies, kumbaya and all that...

Now on the important stuff. Posi... CoH2! Chop-Chop!!  ;D
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2015, 04:12:15 AM »
I think people were remembering the annual Lore AMA and didn't know about Positron's personal life ATM.  That probably pushed a lot of it too.

I mean, Titan Network has readers, but it's not exactly up-to-the-minute conversations. 

The CoH Loregasm should be like hand-grenade targeting, not "at the midnight minute of the anniversary"...  We want to keep the spirit alive, of course, but to a point.  Matt's got bills just like the rest of us.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2015, 10:27:31 PM »
FYI Positron posted a tweet saying he got a new job (hooray for him!) and thus the answers will be late ish.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2015, 02:48:40 AM »
So... Positron's twitter account is now... gone? So I have no idea what to do about that. The only thing I can think of is to hope he posts the AMA here, I guess...?

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2015, 02:50:17 AM »
So... Positron's twitter account is now... gone? So I have no idea what to do about that. The only thing I can think of is to hope he posts the AMA here, I guess...?

He changed the name of it. Did he delete it after that?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2015, 02:57:19 AM »
He changed the name of it. Did he delete it after that?

He's now going by @ManyThingsDeck.

Matt Miller ‏@ManyThingsDeck

Yeah, I changed my twitter handle. Didn't feel right since I don't design MMOs anymore.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2015, 03:00:37 AM »
He's now going by @ManyThingsDeck.

Wonder if that means he's out of the MMO Business altogether right now?

That'd be a bit sad but as he's got a family I can see the need for a job that might be more stable.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2015, 03:31:11 AM »
According to Twitter, he's working on mobile games for Disney Interactive now.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2015, 09:58:59 PM »
Matt's posted the Loregasm responses. The link is on his twitter account. (I couldn't get it to copy...)

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2015, 11:20:52 PM »
Nice! I'll add these to the wiki page as soon as I can (although anyone else can feel free).

There were a few rehashes.... I'm thinking that there should be a thread here or page on the wiki to give a general summary of what the big arcs are, with links to questions. Sort of an "FAQ" I guess.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2015, 12:01:02 AM »
Matt's posted the Loregasm responses. The link is on his twitter account. (I couldn't get it to copy...)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IiWUZeUrkFkeTobtQpaRY2WONFdXvjlxjphs4eoG1ck/pub
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2015, 12:59:50 AM »
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IiWUZeUrkFkeTobtQpaRY2WONFdXvjlxjphs4eoG1ck/pub
Thank you listing the doc, it was interesting read :)
Also thanks to the devs that answered all the questions :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 02:08:46 AM by Angel Phoenix77 »
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2015, 07:09:10 AM »
Unable to open the link from work, have to try when get home as can't see it being uploaded to Paragonwiki as yet either  :(

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2015, 02:59:30 PM »
Unable to open the link from work, have to try when get home as can't see it being uploaded to Paragonwiki as yet either  :(
Have you tried to ctrl +click on the link?
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2015, 03:40:48 PM »

I put the text in to the main wiki page (http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA). It's unformatted right now; I just wanted to get the text in, and didn't see if it displays well yet. I'll format and add the images probably later today, and add the questions to the sorted page as well.

Edit: I think this year's AMA is about as good as it's gonna get formatting wise on the main AMA page.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:00:48 PM by Felderburg »

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2015, 05:37:51 PM »
Good read! Thanks to Positron, Protean, and Doc Aeon for keeping this tradition going. (was afraid for a bit it wasn't going to happen!) and any/everyone else who made this possible by poking them to remind them. ;)

Quiet, but still lurking, watching, and hoping.

Lyc~

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2015, 07:48:13 PM »
I'm just about done adding the questions to the http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted sorted page, which is still a work in progress, but at least you'll be able to link to questions directly. 48 questions were added, for a grand total of 408 so far.

What can you tell us about the Star Sentinels? Were they basically just an analogue for the Green Lantern corps? What kind of powers would they have?

Ok, where did you hear about the Star Sentinels? Your comment here is the first I ever heard of them, but Positron certainly seemed to know what you were talking about in this year's AMA. Google and the wiki are not helpful. Where do they appear?

Edit: Of general interest, the Lore AMA and Lore AMA/Sorted pages are two of the top 4 longest pages on the wiki (http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Special:LongPages). Kind of cool that the wiki's biggest articles were added after the closure of the game.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:54:48 PM by Felderburg »

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2015, 09:37:49 PM »
Wonder if that means he's out of the MMO Business altogether right now?

I'm pretty sure Matt is in the business of putting his skills to work making a living for his family, which is the business he's always been in.  The computer game development industry has never been one characterized by long-term stability; you have to work where the work is.  Not even Disney has a reputation for long term stability in that area, and they have a reputation for job stability almost everywhere else.  But mobile games in general is where the work seems to be today.

Not to speak for Matt (who obviously can do that for himself) but my (limited) impression of him is that he's a fairly pragmatic professional.  I think players can over-romanticize certain aspects of what they are passionate about, but I don't think its sad that Matt is no longer working on an MMO, because I don't think there's anything special about MMOs intrinsically.  I think the kinds of things Matt would care about are how interesting the work is, how much ownership in the product his work entails, and how much of his design aesthetics are allowed to be infused in the work.  As the lead for an MMO, I suspect a lot of those things occur, but they can happen anywhere.  I hope whatever he's working on is something he feels is worth working on.  Beyond that, I'm just happy he landed on his feet again.

Eskreema

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2015, 12:05:01 AM »
I'm pretty sure Matt is...certain aspects...

You mean this was all, like, the MMO aspect of a greater RulaMatt!?!?  :o No way.

BTW:  I would like to express my gratitude for the Devs continued commitment to this.  Truly a mark of kindness and support :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:43:54 PM by Eskreema »
Global: Iron Smoke.  Boards: Kractis Sky. Server:  Champion.  Main:  Eskreema

I don't always get sucked into a jet engine and live to talk about it, but when I do I use the new ICD-10 V97.33XD code.  Because things like that need to be trended by your insurance company and your money!

B.Roid

• Underling
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2015, 10:07:23 AM »
My friend claims that devs used to spy on him in game and steal his ideas. Like making a dance club the Michael Jackson dance pack the moon base mission etc. His name was pyramids. So was devs scrambling for ideas through spying on players?

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2015, 01:29:48 PM »
My friend claims that devs used to spy on him in game and steal his ideas. Like making a dance club the Michael Jackson dance pack the moon base mission etc. His name was pyramids. So was devs scrambling for ideas through spying on players?

No, the devs didn't spy on people. Some of what they made might have been influenced by the forums, but they worked so far in advance that I doubt it would have been relevant to new content.