Author Topic: Lesser Heroes?  (Read 8525 times)

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
Re: Lesser Heroes?
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 12:57:26 AM »
I think that hero type is a lot more common than people think and there are actually loads of lessar heroes in mainstream comics; Batman, Green Arrow, Hawkeye Blackwidow just to name a few.
I'll admit most of my masterminds tended to be lesser villains with very few actually possessing powers. Only exception being Doctor Ordo (Tech genius in a mech suit) and The Zombie Zoologist (who's name should be pretty self explanatory. :P)

Blue Cloak

• Minion
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 04:12:28 PM »
I had a character, Blue Cloak that was basically a non-powered Archer team in one slot. (I would switch costumes that were completely different people depending on where I was. AP and KR was one person SC and SKY was another) Their whole gimmick was they would take the missions that other so called "super" heroes would pass up. Which made the new AP storyline funny as hell to me when he was ranting at you for not paying attention to the lesser crimes.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 04:19:48 AM »
I stopped reading when you called Batman a Lesser Hero..

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 05:00:03 AM »
I stopped reading when you called Batman a Lesser Hero..

LOL! I did forget the time that Batman threw a submarine at Joker. :)

Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 05:52:05 AM »
I think that hero type is a lot more common than people think and there are actually loads of lessar heroes in mainstream comics; Batman, Green Arrow, Hawkeye Blackwidow just to name a few.
I'll admit most of my masterminds tended to be lesser villains with very few actually possessing powers. Only exception being Doctor Ordo (Tech genius in a mech suit) and The Zombie Zoologist (who's name should be pretty self explanatory. :P)

As I understood it, the term "superhero" would apply to those with powers outside human capability (mutants, aliens, science experiments gone awry, etc.), and heroes such as those that you mentioned would be called "costumed crimefighters", who are simply highly-trained humans (physically and mentally) aided by gadgets. I certainly wouldn't count them as "lesser" heroes, just because they don't have powers.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 02:47:32 AM »
As I understood it, the term "superhero" would apply to those with powers outside human capability (mutants, aliens, science experiments gone awry, etc.), and heroes such as those that you mentioned would be called "costumed crimefighters", who are simply highly-trained humans (physically and mentally) aided by gadgets. I certainly wouldn't count them as "lesser" heroes, just because they don't have powers.

My terming them "lesser" was simply an oppositional term to "greater". It really had nothing to do with powers. For instance, Ironman is a "greater" hero even without any powers.

To me, a "lesser" hero is one whose focus would tend to be more naturally non world shakers. That's why Batman (historically) is considered lesser even against the outcry of Heatstroke. :)
Even though Joker, Penguin, Riddler could all have nukes hiding around every corner of the US, they don't and so they don't get on the list of "greater" villains either.

Speaking of which, the guy playing Cobblepot in Gotham is just doing an awesome job. He could be a little more sharp (not caught off guard as often), but otherwise A+.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 04:13:40 AM »

Of course, just having no powers doesn't necessarily make for a "lesser" character - see Lex Luthor and Dr. Sivana, the latter of whom inspired my first MM, Bots/Storm.  He was certainly larger-than-life with universe-conquering goals (and, thanks to Incarnate powers, well on his way to realizing them) despite having no powers of his own.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 06:42:44 PM »
Going the comic book character route can get you pretty close to achieving a Lesser Hero goal.

I had an Olive Oyle knockoff for a while, with WP/Super Strength...Jab, Punch, Sands of Mu, KO blow.  Took only the regeneration powers from WP.  Jump into a mob, trigger a key bind saying "How DARE you strike a LADY!" then KO blow, and while the thug is flying through the air key the second key bind saying "You BRUTE!"  She was a blast to play.

Then there was my Daffy Duck clone of "The MASKED EVENGER!"  Complete with yellow mask, hat, chaps and a cobbled together duck bill.  Oh, and a pair of 45's.

And, finally, Pop I.  Man, did he ever look like the genuine article....

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 10:52:27 PM »
So I take it you were never in the petless MM crowd. :)

I actually knew someone who level up a thugs petless MM to 50. All I could ever say was ouch.

I had one of those, Michael Thugless.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2015, 01:58:38 AM »
yezz....I remember teaming with a toon, Foghorn Leghorn.
It was difficult to heal people when he battled, Human tush on a white Rooster,
....I kept laughing so hard.....couldn't help it.  ;D