Author Topic: Nooooooooooo .... oooooo  (Read 2298 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Re: Nooooooooooo .... oooooo
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 06:27:55 PM »
Was that No on the Wiki being down?

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 10:32:33 PM »
Noooo.

Suddenly shutting down by far the best resource online for the game that until now I lovingly accessed several times daily doesn't bother me.. It's the FONT they used to announce it.

I mean, really.. Eww.

:-\
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 10:53:54 PM »
Noooo.

Suddenly shutting down by far the best resource online for the game that until now I lovingly accessed several times daily doesn't bother me.. It's the FONT they used to announce it.

I mean, really.. Eww.

:-\

I thought the wiki was shut down due to one of the authors being ripped off of 600 dollars and also being scorned/scolded by trolls rubbing salt in the wound of said rip off........
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 11:53:10 PM »
The wiki was shut down like a year ago.

Since then people have been using the only online archive of it that was available and that just poofed.
Some Faves:

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 12:42:29 AM »
I will say that I think Cryptic/PW was being unreasonable in regards to the Wiki. The prior owner of it sent them the entire file. All they had to do was pay to have it hosted online.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 01:37:28 AM »
Props, CO wiki.

You weren't updated regularly since years. You got moved to archive over a year ago if I remember right. And people still used you daily.

Pretty impressive.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 03:04:03 PM »
I just had to add to this that this has been the biggest 'nerf' to hit CO since I started playing. The wiki + Powerhouse was really great for helping put together builds. It was due to their organization of data.

CO Wiki added another dimension to the game and now it's gone. As is a directly proportional slice of my enjoyment of the game.

It was a waste when it went to archive and no one picked it back up and now it seems tragically lost.

Wiki + Powerhouse even at it's best couldn't match something like Mids and now we don't even have our ghetto Mids equivalent.

The wiki was great for lots of other things too like Perks, Events (Blood Moon maps and all that info on Blood Moon f/x), Devices, and whatever else I'm not thinking of atm.

Such is life, huh. Just extra sad when things that are an enjoyable part of your life poof before their time. And for no apparent reason and without warning.

An established game that is 50% making builds and has no tools for making builds besides the Powerhouse.. well, that's not good. CO's my game.. Just saying.

Anyway.. Thanks again CO wiki. I've always stuck up for j00 and appreciated j0r gifts.

R.I.P.

Some Faves:

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 02:44:47 AM »
A from-scratch effort is underway to make a new Wiki.

The old one may be gone, but this is a fresh start that can keep growing with the right support behind it.
Spess

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 02:49:26 PM »
Obviously there was a lot put into the original wiki and the result was something I used daily even though it was outdated and moved to archive. I dunno what better compliment I can give them.

Blew me away when it poofed,

I've thought about offering to contribute to the new one. Would be nice to get those handy power lists they had back and to finish some they'd sort of started to make sorting through powers easier.

Someone commented once about the black screen the original CO wiki used. Before Windows, screens were all different colors. The goal was to make things as readable as possible and as easy on the eyes as possible.

Personally, back in the day using black text on a blaring white screen was the last choice I'd make due to I stared at a screen all day and prefer to not fry my retinas with a flashlight shined in my face all day, daily. There are very readable screen color choices that are a lot nicer than blaring white with lil black dots.

Screens radiate about a billion times less now and I don't stare at a screen nearly as much as then and this is a weird tangent... but hey, this may be the last chance to get it off my mind  : )
Some Faves:

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 09:34:06 PM »
The few times I ever looked at the original CO wiki I had to fight to keep looking at the screen. I really Did Not Like the black background choice. This new wiki, albeit in a limited palette, is SO much better on the eyes.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 12:19:43 AM »
Black backgrounds = 0 glare. There is virtually nothing radiating from a black screen.

Black text on a grey background can be very readable and has very little glare. I just got an e-mail like this that reminded me how readable/pleasant this combo can be. There's many combinations preferable to dark text floating in a sea of flashlight white.

About any combo will provide less glare than a white background with black/blue/etc text.

My baby blues are more sensitive to light than average too *shrug*
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 07:30:50 PM »
*Squints out some lil black dots*

It's baaaack!
Some Faves:

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 11:24:45 PM »
Kind of a shame that CO never really got much wiki love. At least when thou compares it to the Paragon wiki, which I consider a masterpiece of fan dedication.
Hopefully its never wiki will cover more stuff than the old did, especially the music (yes I'm being bias as hell here, I'm addicted to good ost's lol) although stuff like areas and npc lore bio's would be welcome too. Its a lot of fun to read through the oceans and oceans of city of heroes lore, It'd be kinda' cool to do the same with champions mythos