Author Topic: Your favorite spot.  (Read 17792 times)

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
Your favorite spot.
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:48:53 AM »
Don't know if everyone had one.
Mine was a spot I found in Faultline by total accident. I was first learning how to control my flying and I flew straight into the Cryptic Lounge. I know it had been there for a long time before I found it but I never knew it was there. It my guild's "spot" ever since.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
Re: Your favorite spot.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 02:39:20 AM »
I used to watch the sunset in Striga Isle.
I used to roam the underpasses of 'Boomtown'.
I used to explore the shoreline of Perez Park.

Of course those were to get the Atlas Medallion accolade.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 03:32:53 AM »
I liked to find good sunrise/sunset spots. One of the docks on Peregrine Island was nice for that.

There was also this one park bench in Perez that was secluded and kind of peaceful, hidden off on a trail somewhere.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 04:02:37 AM »
I also enjoyed Striga Isle and running Ernesto Hess TF's....many times.
I liked how the mish cut you off from your team, it had imagination, felt like a James Bond adventure, giant robot, etc.

Between missions, Atlas was good to hang at the SG base....chat with friends under statue.
Faultline was nice running TF's and zapping zombies.

seemed like Steel Canyon would be my fav trading zone, mmm, as well as Costumes...and low level mess arounds with Circle of Thorns....
I know, I know they added costume contact in Vanguard but I got used to flying to Serge.
Especially getting your costume mish.
Croatoa grew on me, especially during Halloween.
EVERY zone became my home...................Kings Row I guess my least interesting one.

I was annoyed when CoH deleted Galaxy (if I remember right)

I really miss CoH this time of year, buring fireplace, drinking coffee in Ski Lodge, ..........>sigh<

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 04:03:56 AM »
Saturday mornings in Galaxy City. It was where and when I leveled up every new character (1-5) I made for the first dozen or so episodes. By the time I had leisurely swept all of GC, I was level 5 or 6 and ready for KR or PP (or later The Hollows). 
In particular when I was able to wreak havoc in the little park I knew it was time to hit that last level and move on.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 04:20:51 AM »
The north tram station in Steel Canyon, or the main campus. Both were heavily trafficked, great places for people watching as well as the fun thingts you could get up to there with mid-level missions for the midnighters or your costume mission.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 06:47:40 AM »
Flying over King's Row at night. I've played many MMOs in the last 16 years or so and I have fond memories from many of them, but the first time I flew over King's Row when CoH was only a few weeks old is one of my favorites. I remember feeling like I was really in a comic for a moment. It's one of the few times I would actually use the word 'immersion'.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 07:21:05 AM »
I used to love to hang out around ICON in Steel Canyon. I used to jump on random teams with people to help them complete their costume mish a lot. Otherwise I hung out in AP or Pocket D (Generally Pocket D after incarnate content became available).

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 11:35:51 AM »
The Hollows and Steel Canyon. The music that played on Bronze Way (in SteelCanyon) was my favorite in the game. And in The Hollows I would hang out in Cherry Hills and put the hurt on Outcasts, Lost, and Trolls for hours.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Microcosm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 04:46:26 PM »
Flying over King's Row at night. I've played many MMOs in the last 16 years or so and I have fond memories from many of them, but the first time I flew over King's Row when CoH was only a few weeks old is one of my favorites. I remember feeling like I was really in a comic for a moment. It's one of the few times I would actually use the word 'immersion'.

I had the same moment when I first got hover and then when I first got siphon speed just after the game came out. I just ran around galaxy for hours with siphon speed.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 07:07:13 PM »
one of my favorite places was the beach in Croatoa. Just watching the goons in the first tutorial and listening to the music play. My last favorite place was in the shadowzone :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 07:37:47 PM »
one of my favorite places was the beach in Croatoa. Just watching the goons in the first tutorial and listening to the music play. My last favorite place was in the shadowzone :)

How could I forget Croatoa? I loved going to Sally. It was such a cool zone.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 09:53:03 PM »
I'd have a hard time pinning it down to one, but I do have to agree with the last two posts, Croatoa is definitely on the list.

My favorite spot in Croatoa was a small round lake that had tons of wisps flying and hovering around, and pretty much no other NPCs. Felt isolated and majestic, almost as if stepping into a different world. Probably my number one favorite there, because I'd spend hours just watching the wisps zip around...

The other two are Founder's Falls' main fountain square, and the graveyard in Dark Astoria(pre-changes). Always liked the feel of those two spots.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 11:02:31 PM »
In Talos, there was an area across the water called The Dragon's Teeth with a very high rock formation....I loved to sit atop it and watch the sun rise and set. Directly behind was a waterfall with a small pool....*sigh*
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 02:32:59 PM »
In Talos, there was an area across the water called The Dragon's Teeth with a very high rock formation....I loved to sit atop it and watch the sun rise and set. Directly behind was a waterfall with a small pool....*sigh*

Is that the place where you find the devouring earth sometimes? And wasn't there a section of rock that was shaped in an archway (kind of like an entryway)?

Rigo42

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 11:52:12 PM »
I loved talos island. It had the look, feel and the music that was some-how relaxing.

Oh and Perez was a cool place too in some parts
Awaiting the day I can return to my childhood-created hero :)

Botzo

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 12:26:18 AM »
The Villain tutorial area Breakout (the zig) really stuck with me. Blowing up stuff and beating up guards. Then the music right near the end of the tutorial just really stuck in my head. Particularly Breakout_DropZone. Kinda bummed me out when the area was *sort of* removed for a new co-op tutorial.

Pearl Dragon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 01:50:42 AM »

The Black Market in Cap au Diable

Wentworth's and the University in Steele

AP, The Hollows, and Talos Island.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 07:04:53 AM »
Well besides trying to get the various accolades ...
The free fire base zulu was interesing.
Cimoroa was interesting
The midnigfhter's claub was kind of interesting.
Ouroborus had some floating islands that were kind of interesting
Monster Island off of peregring Island was kind of interesting.
The Hollows, Faultine, Faultline on the other side of the dam, Perez park were all kind of interesting.
Croatoa was kind of interesting.
I used to like skyway city then I learned better.
Crey's Folley was kind of interesting.
I fell in love with Talos Island, until I fell in love with Founders' Falls.
Didn't really like bricks.
Didn't really like Kings, guess I never flew over it at night.
Steel was a good zone, but I didn't think of it as pretty or special.
Galaxy City was never a favorite of mine, just saying
Dark astoria was different, but I hated it.  I like flying I don't like crashing into buildings
The RWZ base was ok, I liked exploring the catwalks waiting for Incarnate trials to begin.
The RWZ proper was no big deal, just another zone.
Of course I didn't like boomtown, nobody LIKED boomtown
Indenpence Port was too big and boring, well except for that dam bridge.
Oh and peregrine Island, was well a great place for 50's, no so great for 45's and under.
The portal Corps was a cool place, don't know why it never caught on as a hang out.
Recluse's Revenge or whatever it was called was kind of neat, but too dangerous to really apprenicate
Bloody Bay and Siren's Call just serverd the PvP purpose.

What do I miss the most  ...
The Hero Corps building in GC.
I loved running down those stairs and going to the origin contact.  The City Hall building in Atlas wasn't the same.

I loved taking an epic in squid form into the water.
I even learned the squid dance.  In squid mode fly straight down.
The effect is the upside squid wiggling it's body, great dance.

I would pay money to be able to fly in FF and kill the snipper that terrorizes the lower levels.
What a great game we had, huh?

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 04:47:03 PM »
Reading all this brings a tear to my eye. Really, there were so many awesome spots.

I'm sure fondness has grown from the absence.

I also used to patrol the long bridge to the north side of Independence Port and save people from the Tsoo and Family. when I was in that level range. Then, the long climb up the suspension cables to get to the top of the bridge tower for the view. ^_^

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »
Call me crazy, but I loved playing my lowbies on "the hill" just in front of the entrance to the Hollows. Then running half-way across the zone through purple Trolls to reach Frostfire. Good times...
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 05:35:40 PM »
Favorite single spot, where my #1 scrapper Paragen was sitting at the end of the game... one of those flying mountain waterfall lawns in Ouroborous.

Favorite gaming spot: No contest, the park just south across the street from the Hospital in Steel Canyon... I would take any alt through 5 levels doing nothing but saving civilians from Circle of Thorns and an occasional Outcast mugging

runner-up: all of the Talos Island "mainland"
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 07:05:22 PM »
Call me crazy, but I loved playing my lowbies on "the hill" just in front of the entrance to the Hollows. Then running half-way across the zone through purple Trolls to reach Frostfire. Good times...

Yup! That was a great spot. It was the first place where I ever teamed with someone, and it's always stuck with me since then.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2014, 08:03:57 PM »

Been there.

I also liked Boomtown. I would go straight back from the gates and beatup the Lost along the back wall. Huge groups from 16-19.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2014, 08:24:54 PM »
My favorite spot was the tall highways in Skyway City, Faultline, and Peregrine Island. I love hanging out at Drenched Donuts, I love when it plays the New Overbrook song when you enter the zone, and the Cryptic Lounge. In Peregrine Island I hang out in Portal Corp, the Matrix Room, or the AE building. Talos Island and Peregrine Island are my 2 favorite zone to hang out in the AE building. Steel Canyon was also nice there too. I like to chill at the lake.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2014, 10:15:07 PM »
Ooo. speaking of donuts. I always had to stop by and say hi to Constable Fraser (Frasenbaker?) whenever I went to Faultline.

I laughed and laughed the first time I saw him in game.

Loved that show.

Original Ray ftw and thank you kindly.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2014, 11:05:55 PM »
I would go straight back from the gates and beatup the Lost along the back wall.

I used to love telling people I was heading off to go beat up homeless guys.  ;D
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2015, 07:09:35 AM »
I had to fly through the donut in Faultline, even after getting the badge.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2015, 11:48:41 AM »
For hanging out, I liked the shoulders or outstretched hand of any humongous statue.  The center of Steel and sniper statue in RWZ were top of my list.

For street sweeping I liked the northwest side of AP running from the Steel entrance to Perez, and the bridges of IP
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2015, 07:17:56 PM »
The entirety of Atlas Park during the Christmas Event, with Tubbius (see my avatar image) flying around top speed gathering up presents he'd "dropped off so he could redistribute them."  :)

I spent many, many hours just enjoying the run around getting presents and having fun with my Santa clone.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2015, 02:45:00 AM »
I had three favorite spots. The first was not so much a favorite as one that always had me at the edge of my seat. I remember old Faultline and how murderous it was to get stuck in one of those chasms and not have the right travel power to get out. It was always so scary to get that "kill 10 Vaz in Faultline" mission as a low level. The second was the small beach area in front of the entrance to Brickstown in IP. I would use super speed, stay in the water and aggro either Tsoo or Family in the area. I would easily outswim them and when the pack would head back to shore, I would try to take down the stragglers without aggroing the group. My third and most favorite was the warehouse area along the power lines in Brickstown. There were always groups of Freakshow or Council there. You could fight your way around the building and by the time you made it back to your starting point, they had all respawned. God how I miss this.
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2015, 09:00:50 AM »
For me, the music played as big a role as anything else for my "spots".  One that I always went to again and again was 'The Crescent' in Brickstown.  And I always had a soft spot for the iconic theme in AP.

In terms of visually pleasing spots to go, I have two, but they aren't spots in the most definitive sense.  The first is Terra Volta - no real rhyme or reason, just had a thing for that zone.  The second is "surfing" the rooftops in Steel Canyon w/ Super Jump.  More often than not if I ever found myself with time to kill and nothing to do, I'd go to Steel, work my way to the tippy-tops of the buildings by window-ledge jumping, then surf the rooftops back and forth until something came up to pull me away from my aimless-but-very-much-aimed bouncing around.  Just loved the view from up in the canopy of the urban jungle.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »
The interior of Perez Park where the green mist can be seen, especially near a small stream rife with algae/seaweed.

Spanky's Boardwalk (Talos).  I would like some places to be devoid of spawns and where citizens could relax and play; this is one of those places. (and make for another RP site).

Power Arc X

• Minion
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 05:22:51 AM »
Let's see my favorite places were

Atlas Park - on top of Atlas so I could say I'm on top of the world
Galaxy City - the train station
Kings Row - Wentworths
The Hollows -  on top of Shield Wall ledges
Skyway - on top of the train station
Steel Canyon - on the shoulder of the giant statue behind Valkyre or however you pronounce her name
IP - on top of the long bridge opposite the zone badge
Boomtown - was in the towering inferno,  loved powder kegs music
Brickstown - the train station or underneath the basketball courts
Taos - on top of any skyscraper to watch the ghost ship come in
Founders Fall - definitely the courtyard with Numina
PI - on top of the portal corps display in the courtyard
Striga -  on any crane at the docks
Terra Volta - on top of the reactor
Creys Folly  - usually just a shield wall ledge
Croatoa - the beach to wish Sally goodnight before I killed her
DA - the catacombs with the badge

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 10:54:45 PM »
Some places I liked.

The Talos hill.
Midnighter's Club
Founder's Falls (when they added in train station)
Croatoa

Seems like my villains would only hang out at the black market in Cap Au Diable.  :P

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2015, 12:07:55 AM »
I enjoyed spending time in Sharkhead. The scrapyarders vs cage consortium thing was fun, and the setting and atmosphere there was perfect for it.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 10:27:51 AM »
Founders Falls was my favorite zone.  I loved the way it was designed.   
Terra Volta...liked it.
For some reason I would run up the big cables on the bridge in IP a lot.

I would go to the Shadow Shard just to wander around.   There was something epic about it I never ever got tired of.   I left one particular character there.    The idea that she would be alone for all time was a powerful feeling to me....but she liked it there.   Hope I get to go and get her.

Volcanichic

• Minion
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
The one building in AP that had the indoor park under the glass roof on the top floor. Was an awesome off duty RP spot.

Flying to Prometheus Park every time I went to AP just to hover and hear the chimes that played. It was just a relaxing thing for me.

Anytime I went to the Faultline map I could not resist flying through the doughnut or visit the Cryptic Lounge.

LOVED many of the Praetorian areas. Its a shame it wasn't played by more people. Loved sitting on the dock in the park in Imperial City.

Sooooo many great places and views if I don't stop now I could go on and on !!!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2015, 06:58:50 AM »
There were so many nice spots for different reasons.

That's one of the reasons we want our game back.
That and the content.
That and the mechanics.
That and the flexibility of the builds.
That and so many other things.
Why were we robbed?

Oh well, it's only a stupid game.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2015, 08:14:19 PM »
Ouroboros. Watching people pop in and out, looking at names and costumes. It was a great hang out on busy nights.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2015, 03:37:50 AM »
My two favorite spots:

1. Under Atlas' statue in AP.  This was the social hub of the entire game and I loved logging in and hearing that theme music.

2.  Next to the lake by the ghost girl in Croatoa.  It was beautiful and kind of spooky watching all the Will of the Wisps flying around.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2015, 08:16:46 AM »
Yup, nobody liked Boomtown.

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2015, 01:19:03 AM »
Flying around Boomtown kind of made me sad.

They did a good job of making it look like a ruined cityscape. And the fact that it was almost always empty really added to that.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2015, 01:31:00 AM »
A couple of my favorites while relaxing and waiting for things to get started were some of the farther reaches of the Shadow Shard and the floating rocks in Ouroboros.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Timelord Tom

• RIP Timlord
  • Lieutenant
    • Paragon Radio Gallifrey
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2015, 02:00:28 AM »
The little grassy hills on the University campus in Steel. There were a few times where I'd sit my character down on the hill, turn the sound up just loud enough so that I could hear the ambient sounds while I went to bed for the night.

Of course, I got woken up the one time when a robot herding MM came tramping through...

Pearl Dragon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2015, 02:46:41 AM »

I forgot to add Cimerora.  Hanging around Imperious watching heroes/villains queue up for ITF's while waiting for your ITF to start was fun.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2015, 05:49:43 AM »
The login screen with all servers green lighted.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2015, 05:25:44 PM »
Ouroboros. Watching people pop in and out, looking at names and costumes. It was a great hang out on busy nights.
Good one.   I did that more than a few times too.   Reading bios was fun.   Good place to do a survey of trends in power choices too if you were into that sort of thing.   "How many people take Stamina?" (before it was inherent)

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2015, 05:31:22 PM »
The login screen with all servers green lighted.

The login screen with half of them yellow and a couple in red... there's something big going on. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Advanced

• Underling
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2015, 07:51:27 PM »
Would jump on 50s and head to Perez Park and The Hollows and save lowbies from themselves. Great times.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2015, 05:45:37 AM »
Galaxy City after it became a shadow, because I could go there and get the badges and read the plaques without being interrupted.

Catstiel

• Underling
  • Circle of Thorns Bakery - Try our new Oranbagel!
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2015, 06:14:58 PM »
Watching the Clockwork building a Paladin

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2015, 12:54:16 AM »
I was a big Firebase Zulu guy.  I once mapped out all the zones with a super jumper....later in his hero career, he always picked up a jet pack.  Good times.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »
AP Rooftop Garden: 

Ourorboros island: 
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »
As a virtue-goer, It would be a crime if I said Pocket D wasn't one of them.

Besides that, Croatoa, Dark Astoria <both of them> and Nerva. Both bloody zone are just so damn cool, and I like that supernatural stuff, most of my characters were Supernatural >_>

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2015, 08:59:45 PM »
Yup, nobody liked Boomtown.

<.<

I... did.

I didn't like how it was neglected, for the most part, a forgotten area.  If anything needed to be turned into a spaceport, there ya go.

But even if you didn't... it still was, I thought, an interesting zone, with the built up roads and such, that had potential, and... not used.

I like the version they used in the instances where there's water that's covered most of it though.  All those freaks... :)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2015, 07:12:15 AM »
I guess my favorite spot would have to be the third floor of any zone's hospital.
Well, I spent so much time there, you would think it was my favorite.

Salud

• Underling
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2015, 05:09:52 PM »
When I was solo, I'd sit on top of one of the buildings overlooking Grendel's Gulch in The Hollows.

When with SG mates, there was a specific corner we would gather on under the Atlas statue in AP. Before they dropped the servers, I made sure to log every one of my characters off on that corner. They are there now, in spirit or reroll, awaiting my return.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2015, 04:43:25 AM »
The shadow shard.  All of it.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »
When I was solo, I'd sit on top of one of the buildings overlooking Grendel's Gulch in The Hollows.

When with SG mates, there was a specific corner we would gather on under the Atlas statue in AP. Before they dropped the servers, I made sure to log every one of my characters off on that corner. They are there now, in spirit or reroll, awaiting my return.

It makes me happy to see how many people liked The Hollows. The sense I always got was that it wasn't a particularly popular location, but I loved the crap out of it. Grendel's Gulch and Eastgate were so cool.

It's one of the first places I want to go if the game comes back/once APR takes off

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2015, 03:22:49 AM »
I loved to hate the hollows.
But that was because you used to be sent there as a level 5 and you would get missions requiring you to run past neighborhoods full of reds and purples.  I learned to hate the hollows before it had a first-aid station.
I learned the hate the hollows before your toons could fly at level 4.

Now the zone itself is awesome.  It is much more interesting than Perez Park.  And a lot harder to get lost in as well.
I loved Talos Island, it seemed like everything you needed was there.  And the stuff that wasn't there, you could get to at Steel pretty easily.

Founders Falls was the best looking zone until Atlas got all shiny.

Come to think of it, most if not all the zones had something to offer that made them enjoyable.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2015, 01:32:43 PM »
But that was because you used to be sent there as a level 5 and you would get missions requiring you to run past neighborhoods full of reds and purples.  I learned to hate the hollows before it had a first-aid station.

Now the zone itself is awesome.  It is much more interesting than Perez Park.  And a lot harder to get lost in as well.
I loved Talos Island, it seemed like everything you needed was there.  And the stuff that wasn't there, you could get to at Steel pretty easily.

Come to think of it, most if not all the zones had something to offer that made them enjoyable.

I wasn't there for Hollows pre-first-aid station, but I was definitely familiar with the feeling of getting through there without flight or ss. Making those available at level 4 changed the Hollows a lot, haha.

Yeah, I never liked Perez Park very much. I dunno why, but it always seemed too dark and samey to me. Then again, that could be because I just didn't have enough experience with it.

I loved Talos - I know that's where one of my toons spent most of his time in the end. It was always a fun, bright, diverse, and interesting zone to me.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2015, 06:54:18 PM »
Croatoa and the Hollows during Halloween week were my favorite areas.  The dark pond in Croatoa with the will-a-the-wisps was pure magic...

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2015, 04:45:40 AM »
I used to go SupraTroll hunting in Sky.  They took that out for some reason.  The burning building in Steel was fun.  I would get the fire extinguisher and leave.  Later I would spray my teammates with it.  Good Times.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:07:35 AM by johng736@gmail.com »

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2015, 09:25:02 PM »

ZOMG ALL of this! I can't count how many toons got stranded there because I got fed up with the "go kill 10 of this thing" and hitting mobs of 15 red guys. then getting my happy ass sent all the way back to the hospital in atlas park for my troubles and schlepping across the map again just to get back. for the first five or six issues it was easily the most poorly designed map in the game. Then they changed the travel power cap and dialed back the mob sizes and it suddenly became a doable concern.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2015, 05:54:09 PM »

Y'all just don't know how to run about the zone. 

I could regularly roll a Level 1, and then take that character straight to the Hollows as soon as they could get in, and then go from one end to the other without dying.  Ever.

Heck, I would not-run (as they had that 'Walk' power, and no.. that takes too long) from the area near Flux, down to the deepest part of the Hollows, then right on up to the transmission tower, then right back down where there was a badge at the lower left of the map in the lil woods there.  Not run.  Not fly.  Not jump.  'Walk'. 

It was just a matter of staying out of the other's range.  Hollows never bothered me.  Except the time to walk it, and even then, it became a source of pride that I could do it anytime I wanted, even if I had a blaster or a defender with no defense. :)

Hollows was awesome.  Funtimes for me!

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2015, 06:12:14 PM »
Y'all just don't know how to run about the zone. 

I could regularly roll a Level 1, and then take that character straight to the Hollows as soon as they could get in, and then go from one end to the other without dying.  Ever.

Heck, I would not-run (as they had that 'Walk' power, and no.. that takes too long) from the area near Flux, down to the deepest part of the Hollows, then right on up to the transmission tower, then right back down where there was a badge at the lower left of the map in the lil woods there.  Not run.  Not fly.  Not jump.  'Walk'. 

It was just a matter of staying out of the other's range.  Hollows never bothered me.  Except the time to walk it, and even then, it became a source of pride that I could do it anytime I wanted, even if I had a blaster or a defender with no defense. :)

Hollows was awesome.  Funtimes for me!

Absolutely loved the hollows  ;D reminds me of when frostfire used to be intimidating and getting to level 5 with a character was an achievement for me :P

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2015, 05:57:45 AM »
I loved Croatoa, around the back of the train station, just for the fact that it was always autumn there - my favorite season.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2015, 12:32:33 PM »
My favorite spot...

The ski chalet in Pocket D -- despite the silly yodeling, not because of it.  ;D

And when that was out of season....

The Dreck's map.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2015, 03:34:41 PM »
I used to go SupraTroll hunting in Sky.  They took that out for some reason.  The burning building in Steel was fun.  I would get the fire extinguisher and leave.  Later I would spray my teammates with it.  Good Times.

I don't think they took supatrolls out of skyway. It was part of the troll rave event and at certain times of the event you could literally find 100's of them on some of the roads.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2015, 03:37:57 PM »
I loved Croatoa, around the back of the train station, just for the fact that it was always autumn there - my favorite season.

Loved Croatoa and all of it's missions! I always felt it should of been a much bigger zone but for what we got it was awesome.

One request would of been to increase the level scaling of all it's missions without changing the minimum. If you arrived too late you could out level the first two contacts and not even get missions from them.

Corlagon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2015, 11:08:24 PM »
New Overbrook had a special atmosphere for me.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2015, 01:31:05 PM »
Absolutely loved the hollows  ;D reminds me of when frostfire used to be intimidating and getting to level 5 with a character was an achievement for me :P

You know? Even at the end of the game, right before shut down, when I had a few 50s in my belt and some incarnates to boot, I remember still getting that sense of achievement at level 5. I hadn't done it in such a long time, it was just this walk down memory lane and it felt great to come into the Hollows again.

My first character was a blaster; I remember getting to Frostfire and thinking "this is my nightmare."

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2015, 04:57:36 AM »
Death From Below, kind of drained a lot of people out of the Hollows.  Pity really, the Hollows is an exprience.

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2015, 04:03:19 AM »
And when that was out of season....

The Dreck's map.

Does anyone know how to find the flooded Boomtown-like map in Icon?

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2015, 05:31:56 AM »
Does anyone know how to find the flooded Boomtown-like map in Icon?

this one?
maps/MISSIONS/OUTDOOR_MISSIONS/OUTDOOR_RUINED/OUTDOOR_RUINED_02/OUTDOOR_RUINED_02A.txt

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2015, 11:14:03 AM »
this one?
maps/MISSIONS/OUTDOOR_MISSIONS/OUTDOOR_RUINED/OUTDOOR_RUINED_02/OUTDOOR_RUINED_02A.txt

Yeah, that one. Thank you.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2015, 01:26:01 AM »
Hey you've saved me more than a few times ;) no problem.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2015, 01:06:41 AM »
Helping each other is what we do, we're villains.

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2015, 09:38:30 PM »
There was a spot in Talos that I loved going to every once in a while to watch the sunrise. You had to fly pretty far North across the water, and there was a small island that served no purpose whatsoever, no mission doors, no mobs, nothing. There was a weird rock formation that made a sort of dome across the top of the island, I used to sit inside that. Never saw anyone else there, or figured out why the island existed, but I loved it.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »
I've been everywhere man, I've been everywhere man.

Hedgefund

• Underling
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2015, 01:02:49 AM »
My favorite spot, as far a specific spot goes, is in St. Martial where the "Dead Man's Tree" badge was.  If you angled your view just right you could see the hanged man.  As for a zone in general, I'd go for the Storm Palace, with a couple of the other Shadow Shards close behind.  Oddly, while I enjoyed exploring there, I didn't enjoy the TFs there, or missions in general.  Too much time spent in transit.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2015, 09:22:42 PM »
I liked "hiding" on top of those walls inside the train station.  It felt like we could go anywhere and do anything, when you could stand someplace like that where there was no logical reason to be there.