Author Topic: Doctor Who "Death in Heaven" (Spoilers)  (Read 2568 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Doctor Who "Death in Heaven" (Spoilers)
« on: November 10, 2014, 03:42:52 AM »
Worst Master ever.  But at least the world saving solution wasn't as bad as I expected.  And kudos for the salute to the Brigadier.

But there was an awful lack of resolution, and Santa can't be trusted to bring it.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Doctor Who "Death in Heaven" (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
Worst Master ever.  But at least the world saving solution wasn't as bad as I expected.  And kudos for the salute to the Brigadier.

But there was an awful lack of resolution, and Santa can't be trusted to bring it.

Hey, don't underestimate Santa.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:34:05 AM »
Jimmy Hoffa underestimated Santa.  He was never heard from again.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

zendarin

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 11:59:00 PM »
Worst Master ever.

I think Eric Roberts still has that title.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 12:32:09 AM »
I would happily take parasite Master over any incarnation that's shown up in the new Who.  Except maybe the old human who didn't know he was the Master. 

It's too bad, really.  I think Missy might have been okay if they dialed back the looniness.  In retrospect, I suppose that makes her better than electric vampire Master, at least.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 06:17:42 PM »
I would happily take parasite Master over any incarnation that's shown up in the new Who.  Except maybe the old human who didn't know he was the Master. 

It's too bad, really.  I think Missy might have been okay if they dialed back the looniness.  In retrospect, I suppose that makes her better than electric vampire Master, at least.

I kind of liked her but agree that The Loony Master is still the wrong direction to take him (or her) in.  I miss Delgado's take on the character as being level-headed evil.  I was recently rewatching City of Death from Tom Baker's era and thinking what a good Master Julian Glover would have made.  Instead we got Ainley...  There were a lot of missteps in 80s, heavy sigh.

Can't warm up to the TV movie guy at all though, and I've sort of tried (meaning I rewatched it with my GF who was new to Who at the time; still didn't end well for me).
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 01:09:22 AM »
The Master is another Time Lord, so it makes sense for him to go through regenerations, and some of those regenerations will be completely unlike the others. So Crazyface Lady is just one stage. She'll go away eventually and we'll get another version eventually (unless the Doctor outright kills the Master...somehow).

I like her as a character (she is a ton of fun), but I don't really like her as The Master (her connection to the rest of the Master's lore is tenuous and strange).
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 05:03:10 AM »
The Master is another Time Lord, so it makes sense for him to go through regenerations, and some of those regenerations will be completely unlike the others. So Crazyface Lady is just one stage. She'll go away eventually and we'll get another version eventually (unless the Doctor outright kills the Master...somehow).

I like her as a character (she is a ton of fun), but I don't really like her as The Master (her connection to the rest of the Master's lore is tenuous and strange).

It did look like crazyface Lady Master was waporized by a Cyberman wrist blaster laser thingymabob. Of course, seeing as the Master (crazyface lady or not) is a Timelord, I'm sure that there will be some Wibbly wobbly timey wimey mechanic for his/her/its return in another (or not) form.

But, I agree, crazyface lady Master was not the version of the Master that I would have gone with for the show.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 06:48:02 AM »
That was the device the Master had been using to vaporize people, and to transport (to and from the computer only, perhaps).  The former use was shown to have a orange flash, and the latter to have a blue flash.  When the Doctor used it, it had a blue flash, ergo he clearly didn't vaporize the Master.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 10:00:30 AM »
That was the device the Master had been using to vaporize people, and to transport (to and from the computer only, perhaps).  The former use was shown to have a orange flash, and the latter to have a blue flash.  When the Doctor used it, it had a blue flash, ergo he clearly didn't vaporize the Master.

It looked, to me, like Brigadier Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart Cyberman had shot Missy before The Doctor did. I could be mistaken though.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 12:45:42 PM »
Brigadier Cyberman didn't even appear til afterward when they discovered his daughter alive on the ground, I believe.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 08:58:52 PM »
Brigadier Cyberman didn't even appear til afterward when they discovered his daughter alive on the ground, I believe.

No.  Shot comes from off screen, they look and see a sole Cyberman and when heading over there they find Kate and the Doctor adds 2 + 2 and salutes.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 11:38:52 PM »
You're going to make me watch it a third time, because my recollection is the Doctor clearly used the device on the Master and there was no shot from off screen. 

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 02:03:16 AM »
No shot fx appear anywhere on the screen when Missy disintegrates.  But the Doctor and Clara immediately spin and see the cyberman with it's blaster pointed in their direction.  Personally I too think it was just a teleportation since it did match that effect.