Author Topic: Things They Need To Fix  (Read 9734 times)

gypsyav

• Boss
Re: Things They Need To Fix
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 01:35:35 PM »
You must not have been around for the spam fest that was the RMT Gold Farmers... I applauded the Devs actions in restricting trial accounts as well as free accounts once Freedom launched.

Yeah, they got ridiculous there for a while. There were times when I couldn't go five minutes without blocking someone for spamming.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 10:53:38 PM »
I really couldn't care less about the free players, but I have to disagree with your statement about the way "most" TFs started... Server channels really? I've seen MANY tfs start just because someone was standing by the contact...I've seen many start because they were started by a SG.... I've seen A LOT start because of friends starting them... I even saw quite a few start in... the... HELP channel. So no.. I do not agree that MOST were started on server channels....at all.

I'm sorry you feel that a person who has never paid one penny should have access to all the chat channels... because frankly I don't think they deserve access at all. If these free players were such a boom to the CoH economy this would have been a non-issue as they would have spent way more than what was needed to open up every chat channel to them. I don't think catering to people who are not customers (customers BUY things) is a smart business decision. If you can't spend $15 on a game...I don't consider you an asset to that game or the future of that game. Now let me be VERY clear here.. I had absolutely NO problem with Freemium players; especially ones who were higher tiered...they at least invested at one point in the game. Freebie players are what I am talking about here...the ones who never paid anything and yet still wanted to be treated like a paying customer.

You must not have been around for the spam fest that was the RMT Gold Farmers... I applauded the Devs actions in restricting trial accounts as well as free accounts once Freedom launched.

I would have preferred them working to keep paying customers than chasing the FTP types who weren't going to pay anything anyways. If they relaxed the restrictions on FTP anymore *I* who love the game and wanted to spend more would have made the decision to stop spending.  $15 was a good idea for tells it wasn't *that* much and it tells me the person wanted to put some effort to supporting the game.

impiousimp

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 06:49:30 AM »
A graphics overhaul for player characters would be nice.  Fingers instead of blocks?   WOW got a overhaul and COH is admittedly out of date as far as the character creator goes.

Compared to CO, which is in my opinion an overall inferior game, but it has a better and broader character designer.  More options=awesome.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 10:23:32 AM »
OK, this first post is a little of topic, but it my topic.

IMHO, AE babies hurt the game.
Perhaps remove AE from AP.

Farmers, really, with all the cool stuff.  Doing the same thing over and over.
I wonder how many farmers had the TFC Accolade?

Death from Below, oddly enough has nothing to do with submarines.
This trial sucked up all the newbies and didn't force them out of AP.

I liked the concept of the origin contact.
Play different origins and the game seems not so the same old same old.
That Matt guy got monotonous.

Paying to be PL'd.
First, just play the game.  Forget about getting to 50.
When 50 comes, it feels empty.
Just have fun, don't just guard the door.
I had about twenty level 50's and it was never a big deal.
They use to announce you, but that faded away.

If you focus on getting the 3 worthwhile accolades and doing the main content you'll be doing good.

Ahem. I farmed. A lot. About three to five Dreck maps a day, typically in the slower times of the day, when there weren't enough people to easily gather 24 for an iTrial or two.

All of my 50's had Atlas Medallion, Freedom Phalanx, TFC, Eye of the Magus, Geas of the Kind ones, Portal Jockey, Vanguard Medal, Elusive Mind and The Crey Pistol. A couple of them, my main @Ukase and one of my favorites @Molten Heat had the Portable Workbench.
The difference is, neither of those two characters "grew up" in AE. So, one could argue, I was at least able to perform at a slightly better than mediocre fashion during team play.

And that's what this is all about, right? Team play? Why else would anyone be concerned about how someone else plays their character? Because their abilities, or lack thereof did impact their teammates on at least a minor level, right?

The problem is, as I see it, is that as wonderful as our playerbase was, for every brilliant mind out there we had, there was probably someone else who..well, was very young, inexperienced, or just not so brilliant. You could share with them every trick in the book - like "jousting" - a nifty trick where you execute a power in the midst of a mob, but through clever keyboarding, you've superjumped out of the way before the power executes, performing a nice AoE alpha strike on a mob. Very handy for killing Skulls in Perez Park in pursuit of badges. But, despite this wonderful "trick", they would sooner use flurry because their character was Mohammed Ali's mutant grandchild. (hey, whatever floats your boat, right?)

Some just won't get it. They like easy. Some don't care much for the stories, particularly when they've experienced them with twenty to 100 characters before the one that you're seeing now.

You never know what's really going on behind that other character's keyboard. That player could be a 70 year old grandmother spending time with her grandchildren watching them "arrest" ne`er-do-wells. It could be a 6 year old autistic child seeing a slightly different world in a different way.

So, my advice would be to relax, enjoy the game the way you like it. Keep an open mind - something that's always been easier for me to say, and harder for me to do. Life is short enough worrying about someone else.

Check the builds while you're teaming. If the tank has 4 travel powers and no defense or resistance shields, expect to have some amusing anecdote to share with us.

But, let's get the game back first - and then we can worry about how to make the game better.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 08:53:05 PM »
First. I miss you Ukase.

Ahem. I farmed. A lot. About three to five Dreck maps a day, typically in the slower times of the day, when there weren't enough people to easily gather 24 for an iTrial or two.

...And more stuff I agree with

One of my favorite things to do was to queue up Knockout Blow, superspeed toward my target, jump, and sail past them for a good 30-40 meters while they ate sky. Later I would use Spring Attack to get back to them... Ah good times...

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »
And we patiently wait for the good times again... :P
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 03:00:38 AM »
My favorite AE farm was one I found with enemies vulnerable to fire.  I'd send in my Ice/Fire tank and herd them onto my Ice Patch and run perma Inferno.  Good times.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 04:10:10 AM »
And we patiently wait for the good times again... :P

:P IDK, I'm not doing much waiting.
(I've never been accusing of an excess of patience however.)

As for farming... I farmed quite a lot. I had fun with it, so I did it. Of course over the 8 years of playing the game I also did most of the content the game had to offer as well. People can have both, they're not exclusive.

As for AE farming... AE in Atlas Park was a mistake. In theory, it's great because AP was arguably the hub of the game. All the new players gathered there, and a lot of old vets gathered there. (Myself included, as my old title "Queen of AP Bums" might give away.)
But...for new players...it was too easy to get sunk into AE. And this was very much a failing of veteran players as well. Vets would gather in AP AE and farm... and new players who just wanted to team up would join. and...well...that would just become the game for them. A level 50 should never ask me what Talos Island is.
That's not to say farming is bad, or AE is bad, or AE farming is bad. But having that be the first content that new players encounter is bad.

On a separate topic: I keep hearing people say...basically "Get the game back first, and then later on worry about what changes to make."
In fact I had someone send me a rather nasty e-mail because I was talking about possible changes in Revival, and how they felt I needed to not think about that at all until Revival was finished.
This is the *perfect* time to talk about it. Talking about changes isn't a distraction from working on getting the game back. However, there's months to a year of time until that happens where there's no rush, or pressure to get things figured out and implemented. If those of us who're lucky enough to have a say start working on that future now, then we've got a long head start on making that future playable.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 05:24:26 AM »

On a separate topic: I keep hearing people say...basically "Get the game back first, and then later on worry about what changes to make."
In fact I had someone send me a rather nasty e-mail because I was talking about possible changes in Revival, and how they felt I needed to not think about that at all until Revival was finished.
This is the *perfect* time to talk about it. Talking about changes isn't a distraction from working on getting the game back. However, there's months to a year of time until that happens where there's no rush, or pressure to get things figured out and implemented. If those of us who're lucky enough to have a say start working on that future now, then we've got a long head start on making that future playable.
I would say that this would be the best time to work on some of those changes in addition to talking about them. I mean, why spend all that time making something, then going back and remaking it later when you can make it right the first time with about the same amount of effort and time invested as making the original. All you need is a game plan.  :)
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

JennSpace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 07:17:24 PM »
City with Champions graphics would be pretty easy on the eyes! ;) We can only cross fingers and hope... though I'd play the original game without any change in an heartbeat, it's just, better graphics wouldn't sadden me! lol
Missed in action in the Rikti War Zone, almost 2 years ago.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2014, 08:42:41 AM »
You know the single thing I wish they would fix, well no let me tell you, that contacts give you a mission close by, and after that, they give you their cell number.

JennSpace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2014, 05:22:36 PM »
You know the single thing I wish they would fix, well no let me tell you, that contacts give you a mission close by, and after that, they give you their cell number.

Aww but it was fun to fly all the way back to said contact :P ...not all the time! XDD Not when you're low level and The Hollows are a true minefield...

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2014, 08:44:46 PM »
Aww but it was fun to fly all the way back to said contact :P ...not all the time! XDD Not when you're low level and The Hollows are a true minefield...
I recall a time when my Controller was a low level guy running through the Hollows. I swear every 5 feet a group of Unicorns would pop out of no-where right on top of him.  Fortunately, he was an Illusion Controller and had Superior Invisibility. So I wasn't bothered too much by the surprise spawns.

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

JennSpace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 09:45:54 PM »
I recall a time when my Controller was a low level guy running through the Hollows. I swear every 5 feet a group of Unicorns would pop out of no-where right on top of him.  Fortunately, he was an Illusion Controller and had Superior Invisibility. So I wasn't bothered too much by the surprise spawns.

Oh god, I remember getting killed so many times by lvl 13 Sons of Ignaetious throwing homing rocks, that I got a badge for clearing a ton of xp debt!  :P I'd try to fly away but the rocks would follow me anywhere I go! XD

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 04:08:51 PM »
City with Champions graphics would be pretty easy on the eyes! ;) We can only cross fingers and hope... though I'd play the original game without any change in an heartbeat, it's just, better graphics wouldn't sadden me! lol

There's one of those esthetic things that I'd argue against. 

I hate the cell-shade/hard outline look of CO.

The goofiness of the whole "look" of CO really turns me off of it even more than the crappy gameplay.

Even at shutdown, I'd consider City's graphics loads better [even if technically older] than CO's graphics.

Of course, given what some of the APR screenshots have looked like; and some of the samples of other UE4 graphics I've seen; this is really a non-starter argument anyway.  UE4's stuff is just plain fantastic.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »

The goofiness of the whole "look" of CO really turns me off of it even more than the crappy gameplay.

Even at shutdown, I'd consider City's graphics loads better [even if technically older] than CO's graphics.

Of course, given what some of the APR screenshots have looked like; and some of the samples of other UE4 graphics I've seen; this is really a non-starter argument anyway.  UE4's stuff is just plain fantastic.
I didn't like the Cell shading on CO either. So, I turned it off.

What I did like about the CO costume create was the ability to create asymmetrical costumes. There were very few options for Asymmetrical costumes in CoH. I recall one character in CoH that I managed to get both arms to be different colors. But, that was only because I used a Robotic Arm and a costume piece for the chest that matched the robot arm.

That is about the only thing I would like to be added to the CoH Character creator. Everything else, I was happy with.

Jorge Firebomb

• Minion
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 10:00:51 PM »
I didn't like the Cell shading on CO either. So, I turned it off.

What I did like about the CO costume create was the ability to create asymmetrical costumes. There were very few options for Asymmetrical costumes in CoH. I recall one character in CoH that I managed to get both arms to be different colors. But, that was only because I used a Robotic Arm and a costume piece for the chest that matched the robot arm.

That is about the only thing I would like to be added to the CoH Character creator. Everything else, I was happy with.

I was fiddling about with the CoH costume creator again, and I had forgotten just how many options were available. It's frankly amazing that most characters I saw came out pretty well, because you can make some really, shall we say, interesting costumes.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 06:38:09 PM »

I...am not...a huge personal fan of Champions Online. It's graphical style is certainly one of the reasons why.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

JennSpace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 07:00:40 PM »

OH but I always played without the outline, same thing for Super Smash Bros on the 3DS, I absolutely hate it on both games! :P I have a picture of Jenn without the outline in CO and she looked incredible with these graphics but without a doubt, she will look even better in Unreal 4! ;)

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
I really couldn't care less about the free players, but I have to disagree with your statement about the way "most" TFs started... Server channels really? I've seen MANY tfs start just because someone was standing by the contact...I've seen many start because they were started by a SG.... I've seen A LOT start because of friends starting them... I even saw quite a few start in... the... HELP channel. So no.. I do not agree that MOST were started on server channels....at all.

that may well depend on the server. On the EU server there were generally less large SGs and everyone used either Sals Badgehunters or the Defiant Badgers channels to form TF runs, pretty much all of my TFs were started there