Author Topic: Doctor Who "Time Heist" (Spoilers)  (Read 912 times)

Magus Prime

• Boss
Doctor Who "Time Heist" (Spoilers)
« on: September 21, 2014, 03:31:28 AM »
I enjoyed it.  It was a fun adventure episode.  It felt like a mix of Blink and The Impossible Astronaut in its clever use of time travel and memory wipes. 

It seems the new hard boiled attitude of the Doctor lends better to Moffat's writing style.  It dawns on me that the last few seasons may have been a tad restrictive for the Moff since he was creating stories with conventions and rules set up by Davies as well as all the writers prior to him.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Doctor Who "Time Heist" (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 05:39:13 AM »
I called who the architect was almost immediately (previously "who do I hate the most?" bit). Other than that, totally lovely fling. Vastly amused by the "signature bank heist movie slow walk into the bank" shot :)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 08:35:24 AM »
Definitely a fun outing in my eyes.  I can't think of another heist film/tv story done with science fiction elements, so it felt pretty original on that count (and for the show itself as well).  It seemed to follow all the heist tropes as I know them - impossible target, assembling the team of carefully chosen experts in their field for each hurdle faced, and then... time travel turns up and makes it a twisty clever loop, something Moffat's brought in spades to his era of a show (about time travel no less!) that had been mostly missing for most of it's run.  Oh yes and of course a monster too!  Nothing deep, but certainly fun.  And again, I think the directing of the show was better than usual, so maybe this is something they're working to bake into the show now.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:26:23 AM »
The least interesting episode of the season so far for me.  And I'm not one who usually takes issue with things that absurdly shatter suspension of disbelief, but people living with liquefied brains that somehow deflated their heads like basketballs and never mind the skulls?  The gold arrow solution was more believable.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.