Author Topic: Would somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?  (Read 3483 times)

Fescu

• Minion
Would somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
« on: September 13, 2014, 03:42:57 AM »
Hello all. As many of you have probably seen from my many repeated questions, I've been trying to edit existing maps and I think I'm close to a breakthrough. I extracted the pigg file for the old Outbreak tutorial, changed the cityscene section from "scenes/cityscene_tutorial_zone.txt" to "scenes/Winter_06.txt" and I also changed "maps/City_Zones/City_00_01/City_00_01.txt" to maps/City_Zones/City_00_01/City_00_01_Echo.txt

I then downloaded Codewalker's (I'm assuming) zip file containing the old Atlas Park data. I am able to access the old Atlas Park from Icon without any problem. When I got into the "City_Zones" file, I made another file called "City_00_01" to go along with the file "City_01_01" which was already there. Then I put my altered version of the tutorial inside the new folder (and yes, I did rename the actual BIN file to City_00_01_Echo).

The problem came when I went into Icon and tried to access the map. It spilled me into a zone with nothing in it but the sky. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and was hoping someone could help me finish this up so I can start altering other parts of the zone.
Speech is given, silence is earned.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
Re: Would somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 05:02:41 AM »
(Speaking technical gibberish)
Did you reset the control bits to odd parity?

It's the carburetor, it's always the carburetor.

Fescu

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 02:06:07 AM »
(Speaking technical gibberish)
Did you reset the control bits to odd parity?

It's the carburetor, it's always the carburetor.

I'm guessing that you have to edit a certain .dll file in the qt_plugins folder, right? Thanks johng736@gmail.com, you've already moved me along significantly.

Fescu

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 07:46:26 PM »
So for these last few months I've been trying to figure out a way to allow for odd parity, but I haven't had any luck. Does anyone know how to do this? Am I even on the right track for (pre-existing) map editing?

Thanks for being patient with me; I'll admit that I have OCD and not knowing how to do this is driving me up a wall.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »
Hello all. As many of you have probably seen from my many repeated questions, I've been trying to edit existing maps and I think I'm close to a breakthrough. I extracted the pigg file for the old Outbreak tutorial, changed the cityscene section from "scenes/cityscene_tutorial_zone.txt" to "scenes/Winter_06.txt" and I also changed "maps/City_Zones/City_00_01/City_00_01.txt" to maps/City_Zones/City_00_01/City_00_01_Echo.txt

Can you elaborate on what you did here?

If you did what it sounds like you might have done (replaced text in the .bin file with text of a different length), that's not going to work. The binary encoding will break if you move anything around, as the embedded length fields will be wrong and the game won't be able to load the file. For something simple like a scene change, you might be able to get away with using a shorter name and padding it with null (0) characters to match the original length, but that's about it.

I assume you've already read this thread? The text format for maps is much easier to work with.

Fescu

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 12:39:28 AM »
Can you elaborate on what you did here?

If you did what it sounds like you might have done (replaced text in the .bin file with text of a different length), that's not going to work. The binary encoding will break if you move anything around, as the embedded length fields will be wrong and the game won't be able to load the file. For something simple like a scene change, you might be able to get away with using a shorter name and padding it with null (0) characters to match the original length, but that's about it.

I assume you've already read this thread? The text format for maps is much easier to work with.

Yes, I did read that page, and I've been doing some work with custom maps already. It's pretty fun. And you were right about what I was trying to do. I was trying to alter the text to display a different city scene from this list. That was just the first part though. Once I learn how to do that, I also want to start editing the maps, but I think I can figure that part out on my own once I test out what you told me about padding shorter names with null characters. Thanks for your help.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 11:17:40 PM »
Did I say odd parity, I meant even parity.
Make sure the SQL injectors are clean.
Oooooo, did you remember to throw out the throw out bearing?

Just trying to help, not really.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 09:22:31 AM »
Did I say odd parity, I meant even parity.
Make sure the SQL injectors are clean.
Oooooo, did you remember to throw out the throw out bearing?

Just trying to help, not really.
And in case it wasn't obvious, that's smartassery.  You don't need to figure out how to allow for even or odd parity.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 07:35:30 PM »
Yes, I crack myself up.