Author Topic: Do your powers fit your character?  (Read 7308 times)

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
Do your powers fit your character?
« on: September 12, 2014, 12:47:58 AM »
Many times I'll create a character based on the power sets and then play around with the cc. Sometimes the other way around, but once I have one in hand the other seems to fit.

I've recently made a character and have absolutely no idea what power sets seem appropriate for her.

So, I thought it might be a fun (pass the time) kind of game.

What sets would you select for this character? After you've answered, give one your have and see what the next person would select for your powers.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:03:31 AM by Ankhammon »
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
Re: Do your powers fit your character?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 02:59:18 AM »
For your pic above, I'd go fire/dark cor.  Her bio would state she was an outcast type (not the group in the game) being thrown out by her family when she was about 15 or 16.  Her friend quint was captured by a cot group and she rescued him but not before breaking an idol.  The daemon inside the idol took her over though she does retain some control.

I don't have a photobucket account so no pics.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:05:16 AM by LadyVamp »
No Surrender!

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 11:01:13 PM »
For your pic above, I'd go fire/dark cor.  Her bio would state she was an outcast type (not the group in the game) being thrown out by her family when she was about 15 or 16.  Her friend quint was captured by a cot group and she rescued him but not before breaking an idol.  The daemon inside the idol took her over though she does retain some control.

I don't have a photobucket account so no pics.

I could see that with this character.

I did try a fire/dark rupter once. It seemed almost too powerful and I never finished him.
I know, sounds weird.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 11:03:12 PM »
From the glowy bits, I was thinking Illusion Controller, but I'm not sure what secondary.  Maybe Dark as well.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 11:09:12 PM »
From the glowy bits, I was thinking Illusion Controller, but I'm not sure what secondary.  Maybe Dark as well.

Interesting. Ill/Dark troller would be really tough.

I'll tell ya the costume started out as a Full Metal Alchemist kind of uniform and mutated from there. The Glowie bits were sort of an imagined shield. Not saying it has to be a char with a defensive set or anything.

... my costumes mutate a lot. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 12:43:35 AM »
i always make the costume last.. the character concept and powers first

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 01:49:34 AM »
i always make the costume last.. the character concept and powers first

I do  that more than not, but sometimes I just start making a char and then another comes up. I save it and work on it later. She's one of those.

Was just thinking about the sets and she might just be a Beam Rifle/Trick Arrow character. I will need to add a cigarillo for her to smoke though. :)

That combo was one I kept thinking about trying but never pulled the trigger on... so to speak.

Still not decided.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 03:10:52 AM »
I do  that more than not, but sometimes I just start making a char and then another comes up. I save it and work on it later. She's one of those.

Was just thinking about the sets and she might just be a Beam Rifle/Trick Arrow character. I will need to add a cigarillo for her to smoke though. :)

That combo was one I kept thinking about trying but never pulled the trigger on... so to speak.

Still not decided.

Love that Redraw !!!!!!!

i made a DP/TA not a bad toon.. great on teams..

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 03:24:16 AM »
Love that Redraw !!!!!!!

i made a DP/TA not a bad toon.. great on teams..

Personally, I think TA is one of the most underrated sets in the game. I made a TA/Ice and a TA/Sonic that both were just awesome.

Beam Rifle I only tried once on a BR/Poison. One of the worst experiences I've ever played. That said, I think it was the Poison that didn't agree with my play style.

But yeah, redraw ftw!

And then there's the other question. does that power combo fit the look of my character. I like the BR (and the cigar), but I could easily go time or something else for the other part.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 04:57:30 AM »
she has spikes on her costume... How about a Thorns/Dark Dominator !!!!! yeah !!!!

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 05:19:23 AM »
When I am making a new character I make the name resemble their powers :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 07:35:44 AM »
When I am making a new character I make the name resemble their powers :)

I used to do that until I made a Martial Arts/Regen scrapper named MAregen. People kept thinking her name was Mary Jane. Too many week jokes and I got rid of her. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 07:42:26 AM »
she has spikes on her costume... How about a Thorns/Dark Dominator !!!!! yeah !!!!

the military epaulettes? you so crazy!

She is still very FMA in her look (could be blue instead of black, but eh), so channel your inner alchemist. I'm liking the fire/dark or a Beam/TA(or something else) for the powers.

Besides, I've already done (mostly) an Ice/Thorn Dom before. Good at clearing out everything but the big targets.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
I would just like to say, based on the topic question, my one issue with the soon to have been released martial combat powerset (secondary hand2hand combat set for blasters) was the fact that the first power (which was required) was Ki push.  For many of the natural-based toons, that was an unnatural power to have required them to have taken (at least in the form it was), rather than something like a kick, or throw sand.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 09:48:18 PM »
I would just like to say, based on the topic question, my one issue with the soon to have been released martial combat powerset (secondary hand2hand combat set for blasters) was the fact that the first power (which was required) was Ki push.  For many of the natural-based toons, that was an unnatural power to have required them to have taken (at least in the form it was), rather than something like a kick, or throw sand.

Yeah, sometimes the animations were very definite and if your concept was not like that, it messed with ya.

Dual Pistols was all about the gun fu look, so you had to adjust your character to the feel of it or go with a different set. I would have loved a cowboy with two six shooters, but with those animations I never made one.
Maybe a Kwai Chang Earp character would have worked. :)

I'm sure the devs would have wanted to create alternate animations, but getting the hours to do it is something different.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 02:42:56 AM »
For me, I typically have powersets in mind before I come up with a name or costume. Many times, the powersets impact the costume as well as the name.

As for the character in the original post, I think I'd go with Sonic/Mental.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 07:20:38 PM »
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 12:45:20 AM »
I actually built my character around their powers, so like Tech and Science toons were more robotic and smooth with the technological and natural feeling powers such as Willpower, Claws, etc.

For Mutants and Magic I generally made them have an organic feel, especially with the new costumes they added (the Bioluminescence I think)

And for Natural, it was a combination of Tech/Science with generally casual clothing, like Back Alley Brawler.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 03:33:02 AM »
Sonic/Dark Corruptor.. good combo.. if you can stand the Sonic attack noises..

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 04:26:41 AM »
Sonic/Dark Corruptor.. good combo.. if you can stand the Sonic attack noises..

You be talkin to de first non PL'd level 50 sonic/sonic defender on Infinity... I think. I lub me some sonic. :)

and I had one of those for a while. It was my wailing spirit in rogue island. Did very well too if I remember correctly. made it from the charred remains of my fire/dark corrupter... he was too powerful and blew himself up... or I got bored, don't remember which. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?