Author Topic: Original Rikti Invasion  (Read 1758 times)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
Original Rikti Invasion
« on: September 17, 2014, 04:30:37 PM »
So I was clicking "Random Page" on the wiki, and discovered a stub page that was pretty interesting: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Rikti_Invasion_2004

Does anyone have any memories or pictures of the original, beta-ending Rikti invasion? Anything you want to share is nice, but hopefully there's some stuff that can help improve the article, as well as fun anecdotes.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
Re: Original Rikti Invasion
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 06:10:16 PM »
I think this is a video of it...some of it.

http://youtu.be/JSTkKRcfVgE

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 03:09:01 AM »
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 11:03:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing that video. I hope that when APR launches we can start with one of those as well. I want to see one of those things lumber across the sky in UR4.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 05:46:30 AM »
I wish I sill had the pics I took in beta.  But the HD that I had those pictures on died.  It was awesome seeing the big flying saucers in the air above Steel Canyon.  And the fact that the Rikti commanders were dev controlled made it cool.  So it wasn't always just Rikti teleporting in like the invasion events.  They would appear in massive groups. You'd have people broadcasting where they had spawned and everyone in zone would converge or move in one large group

Remember one fight, huge group of players, we had just finished fighting off one spawn and were healing and rezzing people.  Then suddenly blasts started raining down on the crowd.  I remember someone yelling "They're sniping us!!". Looked up and there was this hoard of drones up in the air firing down at everyone.  What happened next still sticks with me as one of the most epic moments of the game and just had me going "this game is AWESOME". Just seeing the amount of fire, electricity and energy  go up as people returned fire, and watching as half the crowd just rose into the air in waves as people hit fly and super jump

And then later during another battle, I remember a group of us, mostly defenders and controllers,  were parked on top of a building in Steel.  Battle raging below. We were rotating people through teams, tping people who died and rezzing them so they didn't have to make the trek from the hospital.  I guess one of the devs noticed us, because they spawned a group on top of us.  I remember this being the first time I had seen a rikiti monkey. I had suddenly lost about half my health, looked down and saw this little thing that conned purple to me, right before it killed me. Once I checked its info to see what it was, i had to go "I just got spanked by a monkey!"
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 03:53:39 PM »
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"