Author Topic: Live-action Teen Titans being developed  (Read 1784 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Live-action Teen Titans being developed
« on: September 12, 2014, 04:42:09 PM »
Quoted from the Blastr site:

"Comic-book fans are winning right now. Television is exploding with adaptations from the DC and Marvel Universe. The latest is a pilot that's being developed over at TNT based on DC Comics' Teen Titans. It's poised to be a live-action series that will feature the young team, led by Nightwing.

"The pilot will bring Batman's former sidekick out of his shadows and into the forefront. It will center on a 'band of new superheroes including Starfire, Raven and many others. Titans is a dramatic adventure series that will explore and celebrate one of the most popular comic book titles ever.'

"The series is expected to move away from the 'teen' label, taking on a more adult approach. It will be executive-produced by Akiva Goldsman, who also wrote the pilot with Marc Haimes."

Arrow is shaping up really, really well (IMO), and I have great hopes for The Flash and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (now that it's not restrained by having to keep secret the plot twists of Winter Soldier). I don't know about this, though. Goldsman won an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for A Beautiful Mind, and worked on the series Fringe, but he also had a hand in writing the messes that are Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. So make your own evaluation.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:50:30 PM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Live-action Teen Titans being developed
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 06:27:09 PM »
Please not The New 52 Starfire.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 06:55:16 PM »
But!  Think of the ratings!!1!

(srsly, Please not the New 52 Starfire)

From: http://comicsalliance.com/starfire-little-girl-teen-titans/

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 08:40:07 PM »
So this guy's saying that comics have to change to match cartoons? That's the real WTF.
Thank goodness he wasn't in charge of Marvel during the H.E.R.B.I.E. era.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »
So this guy's saying that comics have to change to match cartoons? That's the real WTF.
Thank goodness he wasn't in charge of Marvel during the H.E.R.B.I.E. era.
Sorry to disappoint; from Wikipedia: "The character was initially conceived for the 1978 Fantastic Four animated series and was integrated into the comics continuity shortly afterwards."

The author isn't saying that every character from an animated show should be moved into the comics, but the popular ones should be.  Taking the super-popular version of Starfire from the Titans show into the comics would have a chance to bring some portion of the much larger show audience to the comics and therefore increase sales.  Instead they re-made her into a mentally damaged Real Doll and caught flak for it.

Characters transitioning from the DCAU tv shows into the comics has happened a number of times: http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/DCAU_influences_on_mainstream_comics.