Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750174 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #6140 on: September 28, 2015, 01:14:37 AM »
It's Schrodinger's Cat.

The box is closed.  Until the box is open, there is no way to tell if the cat is still alive or dead.  As long as the box remains closed you are free to imagine the live kitty all you like.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6141 on: September 28, 2015, 04:08:43 AM »
It's Schrodinger's Cat.

The box is closed.  Until the box is open, there is no way to tell if the cat is still alive or dead.  As long as the box remains closed you are free to imagine the live kitty all you like.

That sort of reminds me of a Thor comic from the early 90s, where Zarrko, the Tomorrow Man, is shown standing in front of a computer terminal with a fractured map of timelines behind him that strongly resembles the world's biggest sentence diagram.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6142 on: September 28, 2015, 03:25:50 PM »

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #6143 on: September 28, 2015, 06:18:01 PM »
No bad = good!

In other words: It's better than bad, it's GOOD!

Oh, great. Now I have the stupid "Log" theme song from Ren & Stimpy running through my brain.
But... But... It's great for a snack and it fits on your back!

Currently no news is both no news and slightly good news. No news means negotiations to buy the IP continue even if they haven't been concluded. At least according to all publicly available information. There are a few who claim to know otherwise, but since they refuse to say where their information comes from it could just as easily be extrapolation from them listening to a hive of bees droning in their heads and divining meaning from it. (It's still better than pigeon entrails in their heads. Well, for them.)
So far so good. Onward and upward!

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6144 on: September 28, 2015, 09:34:51 PM »
...it could just as easily be extrapolation from them listening to a hive of bees droning in their heads...

Wrong game. :) Listening to bees, that's THE SECRET WORLD. :)

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6145 on: September 29, 2015, 12:20:42 AM »
It's Schrodinger's Cat.

At least until a Quarry uses Footstomp on the box. After that, I'm not opening the box to clean up the mess, so the kitty will then theoretically possibly live forever.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6146 on: September 29, 2015, 12:41:52 AM »
It doesn't matter if it's alive or dead - if you open the box you're going to have a stinky mess to clean up.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6147 on: September 29, 2015, 12:49:57 AM »
It doesn't matter if it's alive or dead - if you open the box you're going to have a stinky mess to clean up.
Irish_Girl has already started the Preemptive kitty cleaning though. So, it's good. Maybe. Possibly.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6148 on: September 29, 2015, 02:23:26 AM »
Oh I was talking about Schrodinger's. I'll clean up as much poop/spray/pee/corpse as you like if we get to open the CoX box, and I'm allergic to cats.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6149 on: September 29, 2015, 04:22:26 AM »
It's Schrodinger's Cat.

What if I want to unleash the radioactive killer feline on the world, though?  :'(

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #6150 on: September 29, 2015, 05:29:33 AM »
Wrong game. :) Listening to bees, that's THE SECRET WORLD. :)
That as well. Those Templars and Illuminati will regret choosing the wrong path.  :-X
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #6151 on: September 29, 2015, 03:54:18 PM »
Currently no news is both no news and slightly good news. No news means negotiations to buy the IP continue even if they haven't been concluded. At least according to all publicly available information. There are a few who claim to know otherwise, but since they refuse to say where their information comes from it could just as easily be extrapolation from them listening to a hive of bees droning in their heads and divining meaning from it. (It's still better than pigeon entrails in their heads. Well, for them.)

There's really only 3 people here that anyone should listen to for news on the deal. Nate, Myself, and Ironwolf. Anything anyone else says is conjecture at best, misinformation at worst.

No, the deal isn't dead. No, NCSoft hasn't asked for some ridiculous Olympian amount of cash. (As nate said: "Doable") Yes, things are going slower than people would necessarily like.
and I hate to say it, most of the 'experience' that some of you guys have doesn't necessarily translate to this kind of deal. 

As for NCSoft 'stringing us along'. It's entirely possible, but I don't believe it to be likely. It costs time and money for every minute they're dealing with Nate, or sending someone to find out exactly what they do/don't have from Paragon. A lot more resources than just saying "no" and hanging up a phone.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #6152 on: September 29, 2015, 04:42:56 PM »
Always good to get reassurance that the process continues onward.  It's hard to know what to do with the hope of the game's return when you're completely in the dark on the details.  Will it be next week?  Month?  Year?  Never?  Will some aspects of the game be unable to make a return (such as seasonal events)?  I know there's no way to answer these, but it sure would be nice to know.  Sometimes I'm content to just carry on as if there's nothing happening.  Other times (and this has been happening to me a lot recently) I find myself reminiscing about the game's past life, hoping for news each day, planning for its return, and lamenting the lack of any other game that measures up.

As always, however, the effort is greatly appreciated!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #6153 on: September 29, 2015, 04:46:14 PM »
There's really only 3 people here that anyone should listen to for news on the deal. Nate, Myself, and Ironwolf. Anything anyone else says is conjecture at best, misinformation at worst.

No, the deal isn't dead. No, NCSoft hasn't asked for some ridiculous Olympian amount of cash. (As nate said: "Doable") Yes, things are going slower than people would necessarily like.
and I hate to say it, most of the 'experience' that some of you guys have doesn't necessarily translate to this kind of deal. 

As for NCSoft 'stringing us along'. It's entirely possible, but I don't believe it to be likely. It costs time and money for every minute they're dealing with Nate, or sending someone to find out exactly what they do/don't have from Paragon. A lot more resources than just saying "no" and hanging up a phone.

Thank you for posting this. I always miss the game more at this time of year. I loved trick or treating and the winter event.

I was feeling wistful about it today and it was good to see that it might still happen.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6154 on: September 29, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »

I don't know anything about the existing deal or plans. I know what got us to this stage but not where it is now.

The other thing that may slow down something like this is how much money will NCSoft expend to sell this? What is the budget for this department and how many man hours do they have to sell it? I could seriously see upper management say if you can fit it in proceed but don't let other obligations slide to make this deal - to their point it isn't a lot of money (for them). They deal in the multi-billions company-wide and this while a return on an old investment - is money they had already ignored.

Think it through - if they could close the game making $10 million a year - what effort would they make to return 1/10th of that? I am not saying the price is $1 million for I don't know - I am saying they already wrote it off and so for a lesser amount than they could make what effort would they expend.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #6155 on: September 29, 2015, 08:17:06 PM »
Then I correct myself, 2 people. In some weird instance where we both have broken hands...then I'd have TonyV pass along information.

I'm pretty sure the majority of the footwork for NCSoft on the deal is that sort of non-priority work. People spending a quarter the time as they do on their other responsibilities, since it isn't a large priority.
At some point, someone hit it on the head. Everything else aside... you can buy a car in a few hours because the dealership REALLY wants to sell you that car. Their entire existence is ALL about selling you that car.
NCSoft on the other hand has no pressing need to sell us the car. It's an older model, not quite a 'classic', maybe something that was a hand-me-down from their uncle. We've got to convince them to part with it, despite not really having a need to. They're not quite really...sentimental about the car, especially since the brake pedal likes to stick. While they may not LOVE the car however, they have spent a lot of time and money on it...and really want to make sure that if they do sell it, it's to someone who's not going to get drunk and crash it.

and then their cousin bursts in and starts pouring gasoline all over their living room furniture while we're talking about the car.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #6156 on: September 29, 2015, 09:18:25 PM »
THANKS for letting us know.  I only check the boards now a couple of times a month...

[[EDIT: removed broken quote of immediately-preceding post by Cailyn. ~Agge]]
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:29:04 PM by Aggelakis »
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #6157 on: September 29, 2015, 09:32:45 PM »

. . . <Snip!> and then their cousin bursts in and starts pouring gasoline all over their living room furniture while we're talking about the car.

And that is one of the most frigging awesome analogies ever written!   ;D   
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6158 on: September 29, 2015, 09:35:37 PM »

and then their cousin bursts in and starts pouring gasoline all over their living room furniture while we're talking about the car.

Sounds like an average Thanksgiving.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #6159 on: September 29, 2015, 10:50:58 PM »
Then I correct myself, 2 people. In some weird instance where we both have broken hands...then I'd have TonyV pass along information.

I'm pretty sure the majority of the footwork for NCSoft on the deal is that sort of non-priority work. People spending a quarter the time as they do on their other responsibilities, since it isn't a large priority.
At some point, someone hit it on the head. Everything else aside... you can buy a car in a few hours because the dealership REALLY wants to sell you that car. Their entire existence is ALL about selling you that car.
NCSoft on the other hand has no pressing need to sell us the car. It's an older model, not quite a 'classic', maybe something that was a hand-me-down from their uncle. We've got to convince them to part with it, despite not really having a need to. They're not quite really...sentimental about the car, especially since the brake pedal likes to stick. While they may not LOVE the car however, they have spent a lot of time and money on it...and really want to make sure that if they do sell it, it's to someone who's not going to get drunk and crash it.

This is why I believe this deal  will be successful :). While I would love to play now, I can wait I have a few mmos that I have a few things left to do. Such as in the Secret World I have the last two missions for the tower and from what I have read issue 13 will be for pvp so I am in no rush. I also play STO and restarted playing Tera, so I have more than enough to keep me busy for a long time. :)
In essence every day this deal continues and there is not a no we are taking baby steps, one day we will all fly once again I have no doubt about that :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.