Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748367 times)

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #6060 on: September 07, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
That inspires an epic visual. The (Purchasable one shot or mission reward?) power, when invoked, causes someone to blow a "Coffee Break" whistle, all action stops and the players all assemble and pause to drink a cup of coffee, then return to their former positions in time for the next whistle and action resumes. Kinda like those old Warner Brothers cartoons when the wolves and the sheep dog stop fighting long enough for a coffee break. . .

*Snort!*
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #6061 on: September 07, 2015, 06:16:27 PM »
As best I understand, Nexon did in fact launch a bidding war but failed to raise enough capitol and the inside support that they needed to pull it off. Certain key stockholders that they needed to swing decided not to play along or changed course. There are a lot of hurt feelings, and it probably isn't over yet.
Is there any idea as to why Nexon is so keen on taking over NCsoft? I mean, what are they going to do if they were to take over NCsoft?

I have more questions than answers right now, and it's driving me nuts  :P

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6062 on: September 07, 2015, 06:28:23 PM »
Is there any idea as to why Nexon is so keen on taking over NCsoft? I mean, what are they going to do if they were to take over NCsoft?

Iron Wolf and I had an exchange on this earlier in the thread... He thinks to get into North America and I say to get rid of a home town rival in Korea.  NcSoft is slow to get to mobile gaming and all their money is from legacy games.  However, what's a couple billion won between frenemies....

http://massivelyop.com/ has a good number of articles just searching in nexon as keyword.
http://massivelyop.com/2015/03/30/ncsoft-and-nexon-meet-to-discuss-financial-issues/

Surelle

« Reply #6063 on: September 07, 2015, 07:43:01 PM »

Yeah, and the weirdest part is that both companies' CEOs were childhood friends who went into the gaming industry together in the 1990s.  This whole thing has reportedly put a large strain on their friendship, with NCSoft's CEO entrenching his wife and friends into positions in NC's upper echelon to shore up their business better against potential bribes and attacks.  NC also entered into a huge stock deal with Netmarble to better fend off buyouts from Nexon.

Now the real kicker here is that NC could possibly find itself having to similarly guard against Netmarble in the future because of that....

As much as I hate NCSoft (not just over CoX, but also Tabula Rasa's closing and their continued poor handling of Lineage 2 NA and Aion NA), I like Nexon even less.  Sheesh.  Someone should make a soap opera or a novel about these companies. 

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #6064 on: September 07, 2015, 11:06:53 PM »
<snip>. Kinda like those old Warner Brothers cartoons when the wolves and the sheep dog stop fighting long enough for a coffee break. . .

*Snort!*

Mornin' Ralph

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #6065 on: September 07, 2015, 11:57:53 PM »
Honestly, I don't really know the whole NcSoft vs Nexon story, just what I can glean from net news sources, and I doubt that very many people outside the industry really do have the whole picture. They had done a small stock exchange and had an agreement to develop a mobile gaming platform together. At some point either NcSoft backed off or Nexon accused them of not doing enough of their part, whatever cause, their agreement crumbled.

Nexon announced their displeasure and demanded a shift in the control of NcSoft, they wanted a bigger voice than their shares really deserved. When Nexon didn't get their way, they announced they would retaliate by launching a hostile takeover of NcSoft, many folks speculate that it was really just an excuse, what they may have been trying to do was increase the size of their portfolio to become the biggest fish in the pond. Whatever the reason, it failed when NcSoft invested in yet another company, Netmarble, thus increasing their own portfolio (Value doubled in a day) and financial footprint out of Nexon's reach. Some of the NcSoft money involved came from investors that Nexon had previously thought were on their side.

In a strange kind of irony, Nexon, who is the single largest stockholder in NCSoft, also gained a boost in total value with the increase in NCSoft's net worth, but controlling interest had moved even further out of their reach.

And in a kind of "Salt in the wound" irony, Netmarble, the company that NcSoft purchased, produces exactly the type of mobile gaming software that Nexon had wanted NcSoft to develop for them when this all began. And NcSoft plans to take advantage of that, they have ₩ signs (Korean currency symbol) in their eyes and could soon be the biggest dog in mobile gaming.

There is tons of butthurt involved here, beyond normal biz relations, most of the key players were personal friends and broke into the industry together, there are family and nepotism issues with public finger pointing and snide snipes in the media.

It's probably not over yet, but unless Nexon can come up with something truly brilliant, control of NcSoft will remain out of their reach.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #6066 on: September 08, 2015, 02:13:38 AM »
Yeah, and the weirdest part is that both companies' CEOs were childhood friends who went into the gaming industry together in the 1990s.  This whole thing has reportedly put a large strain on their friendship, with NCSoft's CEO entrenching his wife and friends into positions in NC's upper echelon to shore up their business better against potential bribes and attacks.  NC also entered into a huge stock deal with Netmarble to better fend off buyouts from Nexon.

Now the real kicker here is that NC could possibly find itself having to similarly guard against Netmarble in the future because of that....

As much as I hate NCSoft (not just over CoX, but also Tabula Rasa's closing and their continued poor handling of Lineage 2 NA and Aion NA), I like Nexon even less.  Sheesh.  Someone should make a soap opera or a novel about these companies.
The Soap Opera of two Rival Korean Companies, NCsoft and Nexon, coming to the theater near you...
*3 years later*
Random person: "Well, that Soap Opera sucked, at least it got what happened right!"  :P

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6067 on: September 08, 2015, 03:47:57 AM »
The Soap Opera of two Rival Korean Companies, NCsoft and Nexon, coming to the theater near you...
*3 years later*
Random person: "Well, that Soap Opera sucked, at least it got what happened right!"  :P

To be fair, what NC Soft and Nexon is going through is actually the general plot of majority of Korean Drama shows. The other plot is this:

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #6068 on: September 08, 2015, 12:22:56 PM »
Heh. Paragon Chat chat. ;)

I thought it was Paragon City Chat...  :roll:
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #6069 on: September 13, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »
We need to bring it all together, with love and compassion. . .

Or not, maybe we just need to pirate the whole effing mess and make it out own!
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Coulomb

• Underling
« Reply #6070 on: September 18, 2015, 12:44:10 AM »
Sleeps, as you point out, were generally the exception because sleep was a "fragile hold" - damage broke it, so the odds of being perma-slept or even slept for a long period of time were low.
This actually reminds me of the one time I got perma-slept.  I was in Crey's Folly and a Crey Protector hit me with their ice ray attack.  This was back when the mez resist inspiration was discipline so (obviously) break frees were not available - which is kind of a moot point because I didn't have a discipline anyway.

Turns out the duration of the sleep was longer than the recharge on the ice attack.  And the Protector never actually closed to melee.  He did nothing but sit at range and spam that attack, over and over again.

The worst part is that it wasn't a very damaging attack, so it took him forever to actually defeat me.

Only time anything in the game ever managed to perma-sleep me. 

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6071 on: September 18, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »
CoT mages.

I was 25 levels higher and one of them slept me as I stood there chatting after running a mission. I was on a Fire/Fire blaster - that's when I started thinking of a design of my own based around range and sleeps. The Sonic/Ice/Ice blaster had the most ranged damage + number sleeps I could design.

If you keep applying sleeps they often barely move when attacked. Drop a snowstorm on them chilling embrace and Ice patch and you never get hit.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6072 on: September 18, 2015, 02:13:57 PM »
Oh sure. Now you tell me. And now I can't roll one up and try that power set combination out!  >:(
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6073 on: September 18, 2015, 04:31:36 PM »
CoT mages.

I was 25 levels higher and one of them slept me as I stood there chatting after running a mission. I was on a Fire/Fire blaster - that's when I started thinking of a design of my own based around range and sleeps. The Sonic/Ice/Ice blaster had the most ranged damage + number sleeps I could design.

If you keep applying sleeps they often barely move when attacked. Drop a snowstorm on them chilling embrace and Ice patch and you never get hit.

That was part of the fun of rolling with an Elec. control Dom. Static Field may not have made it so you never got hit, but it did leave the mobs rather impotent for hitting back. This combined with Synaptic Overload (confuse) made for a very easy time.

I miss my Elec/Earth Dom.

Cogito, Ergo... eh?

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #6074 on: September 18, 2015, 06:56:59 PM »
CoT mages.

Coming from the world of defenderdom(?) I too was a big, big fan of using slows in conjunction with other soft controls. It's not just about recharge and playing the range game with them, the NPCs have movements for activation abilities that get slowed as well. Two or 3 slow users can totally neuter big +level groups easily.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6075 on: September 18, 2015, 08:17:47 PM »
CoT mages.

Sonic/Energy might have been a more powerful ranged sleeper.  Frozen Aura is a PBAoE and only mag 2.  With Sonic/Energy you could both range boost and power boost Siren's Song.  You could then have a 60' cone Sirens, powerboosted to a slotted strength of about a minute.

Also if you want ranged sleep, Munitions might be a slightly better choice than Cold Mastery.  Both have an AoE sleep on a long recharge, but Munitions' sleep has a longer duration (23.8s vs 17.9s) and longer range (80 feet vs 60 feet) although Flash Freeze does have the better AoE radius (25 feet vs 15 feet).  And for fighting at long range, you get LRM.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6076 on: September 18, 2015, 08:20:37 PM »
Coming from the world of defenderdom(?) I too was a big, big fan of using slows in conjunction with other soft controls. It's not just about recharge and playing the range game with them, the NPCs have movements for activation abilities that get slowed as well. Two or 3 slow users can totally neuter big +level groups easily.

Two of my early CoV villains were themed Ice/Cold corruptor and Ice/Ice dominator.  I wanted to compare what all those ice debuffs would do in a corruptor setting vs a dominator setting.  Both worked well, although I think it worked better for the corruptor for a variety of reasons.  The debuffs were very noticeable compared to characters without them.

Obed

• Underling
« Reply #6077 on: September 20, 2015, 08:22:23 AM »
Alot of post... i skipped to the very last , just to asked, are we getting coh back or what?  ;D ;) Please someone give it to me straight and short. ;D

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6078 on: September 20, 2015, 09:42:06 AM »
As of now you're gonna have to wait, and wait, and wait, like the rest of us. Oh, you want it short. No!
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6079 on: September 20, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »
Alot of post... i skipped to the very last , just to asked, are we getting coh back or what?  ;D ;) Please someone give it to me straight and short. ;D

The straight and short is "read the first post".