Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749994 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5920 on: August 22, 2015, 02:44:01 AM »
I had an electric/sr stalker called 'The Klapp'. The NPC lines were just great.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5921 on: August 22, 2015, 04:38:06 AM »
I liked it when two Hellions were chatting away and when I Force Bolt one of the to the next county he says, "Catch ya later".
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #5922 on: August 22, 2015, 04:44:34 PM »
I had altitis bad. I had 95% different character names. I was proud of two mastermind names I came up with. My first villain, even in COV beta was a Bots/poison I named Symon Bar Sisyphus. One time I was running through Sharkhead, I see in broadcast "I see you Simon BarSinister!!" Another time I got a tell saying how much he enjoyed the combination of a cartoon character with his english lit class character. Oh how I pined for a flower for his lapel on his white lab coat.

The other character I congratulated myself with naming, perhaps too much, was Quiet Sprinting: Bots/Nature's Affinity. Anyone know the Bruce Dern movie reference? We had so much fun in the forest on the rooftop in Atlas Park.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5923 on: August 22, 2015, 06:56:56 PM »
I guess the take over talks are still ongoing... :D

Meanwhile...

...I liked my elec/elec stalker.  Had that 'Palpatine' kill jedis in short order 'surprise' attack vibe to it.

Using energy thrust or power push on my En/En blaster with x3 slot Knock Back to Kerrr...POW a Hellion into the next zone?  Priceless.

DM/EShield brute?  Mob melter.  Eye of the tornado.  Debuff their hits.  They can't hit you...too often.

EM/Invul' Tank?  POW!  Inciting mobs to riot.  In the middle.  Energy transfer.  Whirling Hands.  Jaw breaking mob action.  Especially on those 'Vamps' that used to beat on my En/En blaster...and the knives of Arty could dish it against my blaster...but they sure couldn't take it against my tank. :P

Sure.  CoH has it's locked in time graphics and gameplay.

But seeing as it was pretty much perfect that doesn't matter.  Ultra mode looked pretty sweet to me. 

Keep going, Nate.

Meanwhile, team SCoRE are doing a fab job with Paragon Chat.  A dream come true.

Azrael.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #5924 on: August 24, 2015, 09:40:34 AM »
I had the weirdest dream. . .

NcSoft decided to keep control of the property, so instead of selling, they decided to hire Nate  to handle the US license & Cailyn to re-develop the US content under the new game engine. . . And *Gasp!* they hired ME to be the lead creative developer!

For some reason, one of the guys on their crew knew that my late wife (She died of cervical cancer in 2004) was Korean and for some reason or another, they liked the silly BS I had posted on the APR website. (And it really is kinda silly)

You guys are probably lucky it was just a dream!  ;D

Still though it was a very vivid, seriously ego stroking dream, one of those dreams you remember all day after waking, and then go on to think about all day. 
*sigh*  If only it could be true. . .

Heh heh heh In my dreams at least it can be!   ;)
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5925 on: August 24, 2015, 06:26:55 PM »
I had the weirdest dream. . .

NcSoft decided to keep control of the property, so instead of selling, they decided to hire Nate  to handle the US license & Cailyn to re-develop the US content under the new game engine. . . And *Gasp!* they hired ME to be the lead creative developer!

For some reason, one of the guys on their crew knew that my late wife (She died of cervical cancer in 2004) was Korean and for some reason or another, they liked the silly BS I had posted on the APR website. (And it really is kinda silly)

You guys are probably lucky it was just a dream!  ;D

Still though it was a very vivid, seriously ego stroking dream, one of those dreams you remember all day after waking, and then go on to think about all day. 
*sigh*  If only it could be true. . .

Heh heh heh In my dreams at least it can be!   ;)

I still have the dream of winning the lottery and after taking care of some life affirming and assuring wishes on the "to Do if I win" list,  I then purchase CoH and bring the game back.

Ah, to dream......
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5926 on: August 24, 2015, 08:20:58 PM »
I suspect many of us have had that particular 'lottery' dream, Sinistar.  :-)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5927 on: August 24, 2015, 09:03:59 PM »
I suspect many of us have had that particular 'lottery' dream, Sinistar.  :-)

Oh, I'm sure.  :)
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5928 on: August 24, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »
I made "A Man With A Gun" once, for the same joke... But deleted him because he was a goober.

I saw "An Ordinary Man" running around the city at one point...

Friend of mine made a ninja mastermind called "The Obvious Distraction", wore a bright yellow costume with a target on his chest. Villains would say things like, "Alright men, keep an eye out for the Obvious Distraction!" or "I see the Obvious Distraction is here!"

Beltor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5929 on: August 25, 2015, 12:16:29 AM »
I liked it when two Hellions were chatting away and when I Force Bolt one of the to the next county he says, "Catch ya later".
I made a Dark/Energy stalker before energy aura was changed, when it still had repel. For a while, it's repel wouldn't knockback if you were in stealth so i'd sometimes leave it on when solo. It was funny when my AS would hit so hard that the whole mob was sent flying.

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #5930 on: August 25, 2015, 02:15:30 AM »
I had "Ordinary Joe", a SS/Invul tanker. 

He went around in just a regular suit, tie, and hat.

His backstory was that he was just a regular citizen of Paragon City, until one day he realized
that nearly everyone in the city was virtually invulnerable.

Regular folks were getting caught up in massive explosions, subjected to frankly lethal doses of radiation,
struck by lightning, and bathed in otherworldly energy on a regular basis...and yet nobody was the worse for it.

Oh, sure, there would occasionally be a few body bags coming out of the latest super-villain assault on an office
building or warehouse, but those were really few and far between.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #5931 on: August 25, 2015, 08:15:30 PM »
I've had the same lottery dream. In fact, after paying off all my debts and buying a house, the very next thing I'd attempt is buying the City of Heroes property and getting a server set up straightaway...lol
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Dareon Kale

• Minion
« Reply #5932 on: August 26, 2015, 02:34:16 AM »
I get the impression that the amount of money needed to make the wheels turn faster could be tremendously disproportionate to the value of the game. It would depend on the size of the lottery for me. If it was a giant jackpot, then sure I'd be all in. Small jackpot(relatively speaking), then I would probably inquire with the purchasing team if another investor would be beneficial to their efforts.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #5933 on: August 26, 2015, 03:01:52 AM »
By all accounts, money isn't enough. It's professional pride, ego, honor... And money. Google searching led me to an amount that dumbstruck me (I think 80 million). It's all secondhand rumors and news though.

Still, Nexsoft... NCson... Um... That company holds all the cards until a successor steps up.

Enjoying Warframe right now myself. I have to come here for that community feel though.

If I won the lottery my 80 mil would go as follows:
1. Taxes
2. 10 million in a bank account/mutual fund so I can live off interest the rest of my life.
3. $5k to everyone I even remotely know
4. Rebuild basketball gyms and facilities at three schools I've worked
5. Beating cancer
6. Giving the successor projects whatever the hell they need no strings attached.
7. Codewalker and crew a day to sleep in.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:23:36 AM by Rejolt »
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #5934 on: August 26, 2015, 03:18:41 AM »
I don't know what's worse, the fact that NCsoft shut down CoH due to them being greedy and just wanting money, or the fact that Lineage 2 has been 100% Free to Play since 2011 with additional micro transactions and yet, Lineage 2 hasn't been shut down... Am I the only one who sees how just screwed up this is?

Auroxis

• Boss
« Reply #5935 on: August 26, 2015, 10:13:03 AM »
I don't know what's worse, the fact that NCsoft shut down CoH due to them being greedy and just wanting money, or the fact that Lineage 2 has been 100% Free to Play since 2011 with additional micro transactions and yet, Lineage 2 hasn't been shut down... Am I the only one who sees how just screwed up this is?

Lineage 2 is NCSoft's baby, their signature game.

It's like choosing to hire your less talented best friend over a more talented acquaintance. Not saying it's a good choice, but that's the way NCSoft seems to handle things.

That said, just because Lineage 2 is F2P and is considered an inferior game to CoH doesn't mean it deserves to be shut down. It could still be bringing them lots of money from the korean market.

Surelle

« Reply #5936 on: August 26, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »
Lineage 2 is NCSoft's baby, their signature game.

It's like choosing to hire your less talented best friend over a more talented acquaintance. Not saying it's a good choice, but that's the way NCSoft seems to handle things.

That said, just because Lineage 2 is F2P and is considered an inferior game to CoH doesn't mean it deserves to be shut down. It could still be bringing them lots of money from the korean market.

Shockingly, the original Lineage, which is a fixed-camera, overhead-angle, low-poly, click-on-the-ground, ancient MMO, is still one of the most-played MMOs in Asia.

Not so shockingly, most Asians do not own computers in their homes.  They play games for pennies-per-hour (with the time rolling over into the next month if left unused) with their friends in bongs, a.k.a. internet cafes with snacks.  I don't think it's going out on a limb to say that these bong owners are not replacing their PCs with bleeding edge hardware every ten minutes, or even every ten years.  This type of a game can be played on a pinecone wrapped in bail wire, so it works there.

The Lineage series never took off over in NA.  It bombed about as hard as CoX did over there.  It's just different circumstances, different culture (click on the ground every so often to run around, while snacking and chatting with friends at the local bong), and a different mindset for gaming.

Lineage 2 is actually a 3D MMO more in the style of what westerners expect, but it's PURE LONG MISERABLE GRIND from the babyland on, lol.  Again, it's that "pennies-per-hour rolling over into the next month if not used" thing happening.  They want even the simplest little thing to take eons and eons of real-life time, because they're never going to accrue enough pennies from each player if they don't.

Auroxis

• Boss
« Reply #5937 on: August 26, 2015, 12:45:21 PM »
Yep. Lineage is the most popular MMORPG in S. Korea, followed by Aion, Lineage 2 and WoW.

Though it seems the Korean MMO market isn't nearly as big as it was 5 years ago, with LoL taking over the demographic. This could be the main thing behind NCSoft's issues.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #5938 on: August 26, 2015, 01:52:38 PM »
The other character I congratulated myself with naming, perhaps too much, was Quiet Sprinting: Bots/Nature's Affinity. Anyone know the Bruce Dern movie reference? We had so much fun in the forest on the rooftop in Atlas Park.

I didn't know who Bruce Dern was until I googled him, but I had a suspicion it was Silent Running before that. That is a perfect power set combo.

I had one once named No Body, a stalker.  Thus when he defeated opponents they could say "Nobody defeated me"

Oh there you are Odysseus. Your family's looking for you.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5939 on: August 26, 2015, 06:19:12 PM »
Fundraising idea for Nate and crew:

Allow players to pay ahead of the re-opening to reserve character names (across all servers) and global names. The alternative is (of course) to just roll a name in-game and hope nobody got it already.

At $20 each I'd probably pay for only 2.
At $10 each I'd probably pay for 5.
At $5 each I'd probably pay for 7.

So for me, $10 per name seems to be the sweet spot for the revival effort to make the most money from me ($50).

How much would the rest of you be willing to spend if the names were reserved for $20, $10 or $5 each?