Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749402 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5680 on: June 04, 2015, 07:27:57 PM »
I guess I'm going to have to resort to the fembots then...

Next time on the A-Team, Hannibal goes to plan B...

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5681 on: June 04, 2015, 07:47:48 PM »
For some reason every time I hear fembots, this is the first thing that comes to mind.

I was thinking of something a little more... attention grabbing!

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5682 on: June 04, 2015, 07:55:55 PM »
I was thinking of something a little more... attention grabbing!

I dunno just having Bender associated with those fembots is more than enough attention :P

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5683 on: June 04, 2015, 09:48:34 PM »
Dot Matrix is starting to show her age a bit.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5684 on: June 05, 2015, 12:10:00 AM »
I WANT MY GAME BACK  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :'( :'( :'( :'( :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :(
ps: Doesn't that emoji look like its launching a snot rocket?!

Netzahualcoyotl

• Minion
  • <Infinity alum - global Netzahualcoyotl>
« Reply #5685 on: June 05, 2015, 02:31:32 AM »
Curious since Windows 10 is debuting at the end of July (and the "Free Upgrade" icon is on my Task Bar) whether I should bother to get it or wait and see if CoX will still work/be compatible with it.... ?  :gonk:
... Atlanteans fled to far corners of the planet to preserve themselves and as much of their science and technology as time would allow...  Atlantean DNA remains among the inhabitants of Earth... and when the strains randomly cross-multiply... a re-combined Atlantean can occasionally result - stronger, faster, more evolved with abilities far beyond those of normal humanity... A being like... Atzlanticus!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5686 on: June 05, 2015, 02:38:49 AM »
Sign up for it, that'll download it automatically but won't install until you say to.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5687 on: June 05, 2015, 03:01:14 AM »
Curious since Windows 10 is debuting at the end of July (and the "Free Upgrade" icon is on my Task Bar) whether I should bother to get it or wait and see if CoX will still work/be compatible with it.... ?  :gonk:
Reports elsewhere say ICON works with the Win10 preview, so no problems there.

Also, they didn't significantly alter the underlying architecture of the OS.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #5688 on: June 05, 2015, 03:17:31 AM »
I use Icon and I am already running Win 10 (Technical Preview). I have only had a very few problems with Win 10 compatibility, AVG and Chrome both gave me hiccups until they got their upgrades out. On the plus side, I got to play Crimson Skies again which I haven't been able to play since Win XP!

I think Win 10 compatibility issues are going to be very minimal at best, if any at all when the final product releases.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5689 on: June 05, 2015, 05:04:04 PM »
I follow the conservative rule for Windows version upgrades - wait until Service Pack 1 is released.  I'm not touching Win10 until then.  That will also give 3rd party developers some time to come up with a "make the Win10 Start Menu look like the Win7 Start Menu" app that I can install right after getting Win10 installed.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5690 on: June 05, 2015, 06:11:58 PM »
I follow the conservative rule for Windows version upgrades - wait until Service Pack 1 is released.  I'm not touching Win10 until then.  That will also give 3rd party developers some time to come up with a "make the Win10 Start Menu look like the Win7 Start Menu" app that I can install right after getting Win10 installed.

They don't do service packs any more, so you're going to  have a long wait.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5691 on: June 05, 2015, 08:55:21 PM »
Then I'll wait until at least Jan, 2016.  Should give the unpaid beta testers early adopters time to help Microsoft work out the bugs.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5692 on: June 05, 2015, 08:55:40 PM »

They might have an analog for business customers (rollup points) but otherwise, yes, what most people aren't apparently aware of is that Microsoft has decided to leap into the world of rolling patches.  Windows will basically patch itself, (for the most part) without user intervention *or* acquiescence.

That oughta be interesting.  On the one hand, Microsoft has shown no ability to do that right so far.  On the other hand, *forcing* their patch process to *get* there would be good for everyone.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5693 on: June 05, 2015, 09:02:49 PM »
Then I'll wait until at least Jan, 2016.  Should give the unpaid beta testers early adopters time to help Microsoft work out the bugs.

Every time I upgrade to a new version of Windows, I virtualize my old system and keep that around on the new one.  That way if something horribly breaks in the new version of Windows, I can usually still run my old system, even if I have to level the PC and reload Windows itself.

Its a bit of a sledgehammer, but its impractical for me to be without a functioning computer for too long (I do also have a laptop, but that's not quite the same).  Actually, I'm going to be moving from sledgehammer to bunker-buster for Windows 10: I'm going to take my Win7 PC and virtualize it, then upload it to my corporate private cloud, add the Horizon direct connect plugin to it, and have a copy of my original system available whenever I want to reference it.

On the one hand, that's crazy with a capital "CRAZY."  On the other hand, I built the damn infrastructure, so screw it I'm gonna use it.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5694 on: June 05, 2015, 09:13:44 PM »
Every time I upgrade to a new version of Windows, I virtualize my old system and keep that around on the new one.  That way if something horribly breaks in the new version of Windows, I can usually still run my old system, even if I have to level the PC and reload Windows itself.

Its a bit of a sledgehammer, but its impractical for me to be without a functioning computer for too long (I do also have a laptop, but that's not quite the same).  Actually, I'm going to be moving from sledgehammer to bunker-buster for Windows 10: I'm going to take my Win7 PC and virtualize it, then upload it to my corporate private cloud, add the Horizon direct connect plugin to it, and have a copy of my original system available whenever I want to reference it.

On the one hand, that's crazy with a capital "CRAZY."  On the other hand, I built the damn infrastructure, so screw it I'm gonna use it.
I have an easier - but more expensive - solution that I use.  My best friend builds computers for a living.  So, in Jan, 2016, I'll go to him and say "Build me a new PC and install Windows 10 on it."  My current Win7-Pro machine will thus be working just fine both before and after this event.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #5695 on: June 05, 2015, 11:32:38 PM »

Already done, you can choose to use the classic Win start menu or the Win 8 tiles right from the start.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5696 on: June 06, 2015, 12:02:24 AM »
They might have an analog for business customers (rollup points) but otherwise, yes, what most people aren't apparently aware of is that Microsoft has decided to leap into the world of rolling patches.  Windows will basically patch itself, (for the most part) without user intervention *or* acquiescence.

That oughta be interesting.  On the one hand, Microsoft has shown no ability to do that right so far.  On the other hand, *forcing* their patch process to *get* there would be good for everyone.

Do these patches still require (read: force) reboot?  I'm hoping not, but I'm expecting...

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5697 on: June 06, 2015, 12:06:41 AM »
Already done, you can choose to use the classic Win start menu or the Win 8 tiles right from the start.
Excellent - the last screenshots I saw of Windows 10 were displaying that damn Metro-style Start Menu and I said "Well, I see the first thing that needs fixing."

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5698 on: June 06, 2015, 12:09:40 AM »
Do these patches still require (read: force) reboot?  I'm hoping not, but I'm expecting...
If I have a SQL query running overnight on my work PC and a damned forced reboot interrupts it, I will be on the phone to MS tech support screaming bloody murder and searching for any hack I can find - legal or not - to stop that from happening again.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5699 on: June 06, 2015, 12:16:23 AM »
If I have a SQL query running overnight on my work PC and a damned forced reboot interrupts it, I will be on the phone to MS tech support screaming bloody murder and searching for any hack I can find - legal or not - to stop that from happening again.
So tell it to update at a different time than your SQL query. Problem solved without haranguing a support tech. People like your claim here get put up on notalwaysright.com.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal