Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748184 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5400 on: March 27, 2015, 03:17:21 AM »
I had kind of mentally written off that possibility a while back.  If it were possible, it would take longer to get the game running again, and honestly I don't mind starting over too much if it makes it easier, and less complicated to get it up and running.

Its not a question of being faster or slower, and more a question of whether NCSoft actually kept the data or not, and whether they'd be willing to give it to anyone else as part of an IP purchase.  The impression I get is the answer to both questions is no.

Hypothetically speaking, the new server operators could give the players anything they wanted to.  The problem is they would have to trust the players were giving them accurate information about what they previously had.  That probably opens a can of worms no one would want to open.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5401 on: March 27, 2015, 03:24:55 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder if this goes on much longer, if it will even be relevant.  If any of CoT, Vanguard, etc are off the ground, will there even be enough of the player base left to make it worth it to even restart the game?

I guarantee you none of those games will be off the ground before the negotiations are over (regardless of the outcome).

Its not a question of being faster or slower, and more a question of whether NCSoft actually kept the data or not, and whether they'd be willing to give it to anyone else as part of an IP purchase.  The impression I get is the answer to both questions is no.

Would it even be legal anyway?

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5402 on: March 27, 2015, 05:34:54 AM »

Hypothetically speaking, the new server operators could give the players anything they wanted to.  The problem is they would have to trust the players were giving them accurate information about what they previously had.  That probably opens a can of worms no one would want to open.

Ive thought about this just this week

I dont expect to get my data back anymore. I doubt it was kept. However 8 years of toons and IO's and Hami's etc etc I simply dont have the time to invest that anymore.

I would love for the new team to create a way for veteran players to recoup what they lost. And not just veteran badges etc etc.. but the actual characters.. Ive thought of ways this could be done.. but I doubt it would be done..

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5403 on: March 27, 2015, 07:00:53 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder if this goes on much longer, if it will even be relevant.  If any of CoT, Vanguard, etc are off the ground, will there even be enough of the player base left to make it worth it to even restart the game?

Note: I will definitely try a rebooted CoH, but if any of the newer games meet my needs, not sure I'd want to split my time.
Aren't all the "spiritual successors" in pre Alpha phase at best?  I wouldn't worry yet about CoH being irrelevant.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5404 on: March 27, 2015, 07:31:42 AM »
Aren't all the "spiritual successors" in pre Alpha phase at best?  I wouldn't worry yet about CoH being irrelevant.

Valiance Online has a playable Pre-Alpha.  City of Titans has a city zone.  The other game has...???

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5405 on: March 27, 2015, 07:37:18 AM »

that depends on just how slow the negotiations take. in a year from now I expect to see a lot more out of vo and cot. the second either of those goes live with a viable game the value of coh ip drops like a rock. part of what makes coh ip worth anything is peoples willingness to pay to play the i23 maint. without that it is just an old story that people do "do you remember" stories

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #5406 on: March 27, 2015, 08:24:52 AM »
that depends on just how slow the negotiations take. in a year from now I expect to see a lot more out of vo and cot. the second either of those goes live with a viable game the value of coh ip drops like a rock. part of what makes coh ip worth anything is peoples willingness to pay to play the i23 maint. without that it is just an old story that people do "do you remember" stories

If CoH came back tomorrow I don't think i'd play anything else, to tell the truth I don't play anything at the moment due to me being spoilt with CoH, I've tried lot's of different games but nothing has ever caught my attention long enough as CoH. I'm on Icon & Mids most evenings when time allows to mess with builds and costumes and generally have a fly around the zones, which bring back so many good memories. :'(

I'd hope to one day see CoT become something as good as CoH, but only time will tell on that front.

*Keeping fingers crossed for the return, holding torch high*

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #5407 on: March 27, 2015, 12:26:52 PM »
If CoH came back tomorrow I don't think i'd play anything else, to tell the truth I don't play anything at the moment due to me being spoilt with CoH, I've tried lot's of different games but nothing has ever caught my attention long enough as CoH. I'm on Icon & Mids most evenings when time allows to mess with builds and costumes and generally have a fly around the zones, which bring back so many good memories. :'(

I'd hope to one day see CoT become something as good as CoH, but only time will tell on that front.

What he said +10.  Also, lots of luck to Heroes & Villains.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5408 on: March 27, 2015, 06:00:17 PM »

I've mostly been playing non-mmos.  Decided to rush a character to 70 in diablo 3 this weekend since the ladder is ending in the start of april(double exp week right now).  But mostly been playing new vegas a lot and just messing with mods periodically to keep it fresh.  The same could also be said of skyrim in other times.  I rarely ever touch CO anymore due to how ruined it has become thanks to shfg's/scrubs and the nerf demands from them.

Edit: Included scrubs, they are at fault for that games decline to.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #5409 on: March 27, 2015, 11:06:18 PM »
What I really want in CO is another zone like Vibora Bay and tons of freaking content to do. No level cap increases just more content and possibly some new powersets. Vibora Bay was fun but didn't have nearly enough to do in it.

BTW anyone know what's up with Valiance Online? The website has been a blank page now for a week or more.

edit: Oh found out myself for those curious - https://valianceonline.wordpress.com/

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #5410 on: March 28, 2015, 02:49:49 AM »
I was holding out hope that the comeback would at least be announced by my birthday in mid-March.  So, now that has come and gone with no indication that an announcement is imminent.  I know it was an unsubstantiated hope.  Nobody said anything to lead me to believe that day was anything special in the world of CoH, but I was hoping for some magical convergence that would happen because it was my special day.  I was wrong....damn you universe! *shakes fist at the heavens*  ;) :o
What was no more, is now reborn!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5411 on: March 28, 2015, 02:53:38 AM »
I was holding out hope that the comeback would at least be announced by my birthday in mid-March.  So, now that has come and gone with no indication that an announcement is imminent.  I know it was an unsubstantiated hope.  Nobody said anything to lead me to believe that day was anything special in the world of CoH, but I was hoping for some magical convergence that would happen because it was my special day.  I was wrong....damn you universe! *shakes fist at the heavens*  ;) :o

If it makes you feel better, I'm sure an announcement will happen on someone's birthday.  I'm just not quite sure whose birthday.  But that's just details.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5412 on: March 28, 2015, 04:27:15 AM »
If it makes you feel better, I'm sure an announcement will happen on someone's birthday.  I'm just not quite sure whose birthday.  But that's just details.
The odds are very in some unknown persons favor ;)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5413 on: March 28, 2015, 04:30:35 PM »

I am sure most folks would have preferred mine, since it was sooner that whatever the actual release date will end up being, but since I don't get to claim any kind of connection to the date, I am back to taking it as soon as I can possibly get it.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5414 on: March 28, 2015, 05:18:12 PM »

Just tell me it's not a known that it will happen on Feb 29th.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5415 on: March 28, 2015, 08:32:48 PM »
In the immortal words of Jose Jimenez (From the old Ed Sullivan Show...look it up):

"Oh, I hope not!"

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #5416 on: March 28, 2015, 11:30:18 PM »
What I really want in CO is another zone like Vibora Bay and tons of freaking content to do. No level cap increases just more content and possibly some new powersets. Vibora Bay was fun but didn't have nearly enough to do in it.

BTW anyone know what's up with Valiance Online? The website has been a blank page now for a week or more.

edit: Oh found out myself for those curious - https://valianceonline.wordpress.com/
Too bad that will never happen in co, due to how much deving and respect cryptic/pwe has for that game.
I have been playing the secret world, once in awhile Sto, and I went back to tor. All of these games maybe minus secret world I will/would drop in a heart beat if tomorrow from the team they said "they got the game back". The reason for tor is I need to keep my mmo play style sharp :).
I do not know about Vo, I do last month after the wipe I could not make a new account to login to the alpha.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5417 on: March 29, 2015, 01:02:47 AM »
Too bad that will never happen in co, due to how much deving and respect cryptic/pwe has for that game.
I have been playing the secret world, once in awhile Sto, and I went back to tor. All of these games maybe minus secret world I will/would drop in a heart beat if tomorrow from the team they said "they got the game back". The reason for tor is I need to keep my mmo play style sharp :).
I do not know about Vo, I do last month after the wipe I could not make a new account to login to the alpha.

they seem to have disappeared for a while. i was checking every day but I have cut back

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5418 on: March 29, 2015, 03:51:07 AM »
they seem to have disappeared for a while. i was checking every day but I have cut back

The last thing they did recently was upping the prices of existing costume sets.  Before that they allowed people to purchase an account-wide unlock for the global cap if they were silver.  Currently they are just, well, doing little other than absolute necessary bug fixes.  I don't think they really work full time on the game but only on the game once in a while, and probably don't fully care to do so anymore.  Not with the kind of community thats left anymore.

I've been playing diablo 3 again, on my old demon hunter after I got a season wizard to 70 for the sake of some transmog(costume) unlocks.  I notice the drop rates had increased alot, as I got three maurader set pieces today in a short time span to my surprise.  A shame that two of those drops were pieces I already had from previous play sessions.  At least that game gets stuff.  Course i'd be playing city of heroes far more than diablo 3 if it came back.  I'd take a guarantee drop system like CoX's incarnate system over an rng within an rng within another rng system diablo 3 has.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #5419 on: March 29, 2015, 04:56:42 AM »
The last thing they did recently was upping the prices of existing costume sets.  Before that they allowed people to purchase an account-wide unlock for the global cap if they were silver.  Currently they are just, well, doing little other than absolute necessary bug fixes.  I don't think they really work full time on the game but only on the game once in a while, and probably don't fully care to do so anymore.  Not with the kind of community thats left anymore.

I've been playing diablo 3 again, on my old demon hunter after I got a season wizard to 70 for the sake of some transmog(costume) unlocks.  I notice the drop rates had increased alot, as I got three maurader set pieces today in a short time span to my surprise.  A shame that two of those drops were pieces I already had from previous play sessions.  At least that game gets stuff.  Course i'd be playing city of heroes far more than diablo 3 if it came back.  I'd take a guarantee drop system like CoX's incarnate system over an rng within an rng within another rng system diablo 3 has.
Me thinks he (previous poster(s)) were talking about Valiance Online and their recent website issues and not STO.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 05:06:34 AM by Kelltick »