Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748943 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4940 on: February 09, 2015, 09:15:20 PM »
Even in CoH there were lots of stupidly rare events going on, my favourite was one of the veteran attacks with a 75% to-hit chance and no modifiers either way (I had the last to-hit displayed at the time so I know this) missing 24 times in a row in among other attacks that were hitting normally so no streakbreaker, then later in the same day it missing 21 times in a row. I suspect some circumstances cause the RNG seed not to regenerate properly and it not actually be random.

In most cases I examined where someone thought the streakbreaker was broken, the root cause was due to a mistaken belief that the streakbreaker affected attacks when it affected attackers.  What this meant was that everything you did that incurred a tohit roll, including things like non-autohitting auras, would be part of the streakbreaker streak calculations.  Suppose you are attacking with nothing but well-slotted attacks and also happen to have a damage aura turned on that wasn't slotted.  You could have the aura missing at very low tohit chance and that would allow the streakbreaker to accept a large number of misses in a row, even if all of your "attacks" appeared to have high chance to hit.

But in this case there's another explanation.  At least when it was first enabled the "last tohit" thing in the real numbers display wasn't accurate.  It was the unmodified tohit (meaning before target defense and combat modifiers), much like how Mids did the same thing.  There were technical reasons for this, but unless someone fixed it late that wasn't trustworthy for streakbreaker.  You needed to watch your tohit roll information in your combat chat to be certain of what was going on with the streakbreaker.  I don't think that was ever fixed, although my memory is not as good as when I was a youngin.

The RND used by CoH for tohit calculations itself was, to the best of anyone's ability to detect, random enough for MMO purposes.  It had a bit of a roundoff skew in the ten thousandths place (hundredth of a percent) which no one would notice, and because of the way it was used it had a peculiar alias that ended up making exact rolls of zero and 100 slightly off (also unnoticeable), but that was it.  The slight skews I could detect were several orders of magnitude smaller than anything players could detect observationally, and I could detect those but not the others that were reported.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #4941 on: February 09, 2015, 09:36:18 PM »
I never had gobs of influence :(, I was to much of an altaholic to keep influence around. I did almost hit the influence cap on my old main though. I was trying to get the badge, actually I think I got it.

I did not recall a badge for hitting max - apparently I forgot about the olden days, as the badge was indeed for 2 billion, before being reduced to 500 million: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Leader_Badge

Streak Breaker: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Attack_Mechanics#The_Streak_Breaker
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4942 on: February 09, 2015, 09:37:38 PM »
Confirmation bias is a huge part of testing random number generators, especially in an MMO setting. People tend to notice and remember the (statistically likely given enough time) anomalies, such as missing after hitting Aim+Build Up, or oddly specific numbers in sequence, but they forget the thousands and thousands of random rolls that didn't catch their attention. That's why I mentioned developer datamining as a final confirmation before taking people's word on it, with the caveat that the datamining techniques must be done correctly.

One other assumption about COH's use of the PRNG that a lot of people made was that random numbers were specific to them -- that if the RNG got seeded with a particular value, such as the clock, then their attacks all came from a specific sequence based on that seed. That couldn't be further from the truth. The same random number source was used not only for player attacks, but for dozens of other things as well. Other players, enemy critter to-hit rolls, pet to-hit rolls, some randomness used by the AI in its thinking, choosing which animation to play if there are multiple equivalent possibilities (some brawl variants had this, the dice roll emote used it, etc), reward rolls if anything on the same map was defeated.

By the time you queued up another attack, dozens or more random numbers had been generated in the interim. Indeed the unpredictable nature of when random numbers were needed and sampled from the PRNG introduced a lot of real entropy into the system, entropy fed mostly by player actions and amplified by complex interactions of systems. It wouldn't surprise me if that's part of why Arcana's statistical analysis showed a good distribution despite the underlying system being technically deterministic.

Depending on the PRNG algorithm used and if it was cyclical (most decent ones are not), re-seeding the generator might have been completely unnecessary and was probably never done at all once the server was running.

There is only one confirmed instance of an issue with random numbers in COH I can think of: purple recipe drop rates were observed by some players as being far lower than they should have been, and it was brought to developer attention thanks to the tireless efforts of players parsing logs and documenting tens of thousands of drops. I forget which red name posted the final breakdown, but it turned out to not be an issue with the RNG at all (which was functioning perfectly), but rather a bug involving an uninitialized variable in the rewards code. Said bug caused players to sometimes be incorrectly disqualified from the purple drop table, depending on what ended up in a specific memory address. I think that bug may have persisted for nearly a year before it was squashed.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4943 on: February 09, 2015, 10:12:03 PM »
One other assumption about COH's use of the PRNG that a lot of people made was that random numbers were specific to them -- that if the RNG got seeded with a particular value, such as the clock, then their attacks all came from a specific sequence based on that seed. That couldn't be further from the truth. The same random number source was used not only for player attacks, but for dozens of other things as well. Other players, enemy critter to-hit rolls, pet to-hit rolls, some randomness used by the AI in its thinking, choosing which animation to play if there are multiple equivalent possibilities (some brawl variants had this, the dice roll emote used it, etc), reward rolls if anything on the same map was defeated.

By the time you queued up another attack, dozens or more random numbers had been generated in the interim. Indeed the unpredictable nature of when random numbers were needed and sampled from the PRNG introduced a lot of real entropy into the system, entropy fed mostly by player actions and amplified by complex interactions of systems. It wouldn't surprise me if that's part of why Arcana's statistical analysis showed a good distribution despite the underlying system being technically deterministic.

To be honest, even when this was pointed out on the game forums, it was suggested that this very fact could have made testing impossible to determine the flaw in the RNG, because a pattern in the RNG could be obscured by the fact that a test would not see it most of the time.  It was difficult to respond to this objection in a satisfactory way although basic statistical mechanics says this is not really possible over long testing periods.

Here, however, what I would say is that so long as the RNG generated a sequence of numbers that showed no obvious correlations between n-consecutive generated numbers for sufficiently large n, and showed no signs of generating any particular number over any other, that the added complexity of sampling that generator at pseudorandom intervals cannot make the sequence look significantly more or less random.  To put it more simply, combining two PRNGs does not tend to make the combined system more or less random.  So I assume that if it looked random to me, it probably was and it if wasn't, it wouldn't look so to me, even with the added complexity of sampling.

Depending on the PRNG algorithm used and if it was cyclical (most decent ones are not), re-seeding the generator might have been completely unnecessary and was probably never done at all once the server was running.

Not just unnecessary, but also a potential source of non-randomness.  Unless you reseed with a genuine source of good entropy, the act of reseeding itself could in some cases make the generated numbers less than random.

There is only one confirmed instance of an issue with random numbers in COH I can think of: purple recipe drop rates were observed by some players as being far lower than they should have been, and it was brought to developer attention thanks to the tireless efforts of players parsing logs and documenting tens of thousands of drops. I forget which red name posted the final breakdown, but it turned out to not be an issue with the RNG at all (which was functioning perfectly), but rather a bug involving an uninitialized variable in the rewards code. Said bug caused players to sometimes be incorrectly disqualified from the purple drop table, depending on what ended up in a specific memory address. I think that bug may have persisted for nearly a year before it was squashed.

There was one more issue like that I'm aware of, and one actual RNG error (the only one I'm aware of).  In I9 beta, I confirmed that the dev statement that Pool B drops from mission complete 10% of the time was in error and actually occurred at about 7.3%.  But that wasn't a problem with the RNG itself but rather a problem with the way the drop tables were constructed.  The other was the random drop map distribution error: players discovered there were certain maps where the rewards generated were actually predictable with a high degree of certainty, if certain gameplay conditions were met.  I analyzed the player posted data and took that one to pohsyb directly, and he determined that in that part of the code some shmuck wrote their own RAND that was extremely not random and often reseeded with a constant: that made those maps generate the same basic layout much of the time.

Separate from confirmation bias, there's also what I recently read referred to as the Wyatt Earp effect and I used to call the lottery winner effect.  Players, even those with mathematical backgrounds (actually, especially those), would often miscalculate how rare an unlikely occurrence was by misunderstanding what an unlikely occurrence was in the first place.  For example, if you take six six-sided dice and rolled them, it sounds extremely unlikely they would come up 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.  But if you roll six six-sided dice and you are of a mind to over-recognize patterns you might have said the same thing about the dice coming up all ones, or all sixes, or all even numbers, or all odd numbers, or two each of 1, 2, and 3, etc.  The odds of coming up all sixes is 46,656 to one.  But the odds of the dice coming up *interesting-looking* is a lot higher, because people categorize a lot of different possibilities as interesting.

The Wyatt Earp effect is the effect of thinking something extremely unlikely - in this case Wyatt Earp surviving all of his gunfights - must be due to something other than chance.  The problem in this case is that enough people got into gunfights back then that the odds of *one* of them coming out of many gunfights alive is a lot higher than the odds that Wyatt Earp specifically would have done so.  We only talk about Wyatt Earp because he happened to be the one that did.  The odds of winning the lottery are very slim, but someone always does.  That doesn't mean Wyatt Earp wasn't a good gunfighter, it just means we have to be extremely careful about what we attribute to chance, and what is postscript selection that has nothing to do with chance.

To be statistically blunt, the odds of Wyatt Earp surviving all his gunfights is 100%, because we already witnessed it.  We cannot calculate what it "would have been" we can only calculate what the odds of another random person surviving all of those gunfights might have been, and that is a subtle but significantly different thing.

Even when the player correctly notes that something they witnessed was unlikely, that doesn't mean it wasn't actually likely that *someone* saw it, and it just happened to be them.  Ten misses in a row is unlikely.  But so is ten alternating hits and misses.  So is five hits followed by five misses.  So is three hits followed by three misses ten times repeatedly.  If you want to see something unlikely, the fact is every individual sequence is unlikely to occur *again*.  But something has to happen.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #4944 on: February 09, 2015, 11:34:01 PM »
I actually thought I had just missed some way to get purples and merits from AE given that Arcanaposts tend to spout metaphysical certainties.

If I remember correctly if an AE mission was a Dev's choice, the mission creator. Had the option of the mission dropping regular AE rewards or regular PVE content rewards (IE purples). Merits on the other hand I don't remember you being able to get them from AE at all.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4945 on: February 10, 2015, 12:32:01 AM »
I actually thought I had just missed some way to get purples and merits from AE given that Arcanaposts tend to spout metaphysical certainties.

There's always at least one parallel universe in which I'm right, and its not my fault you live in the wrong one.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4946 on: February 10, 2015, 04:40:37 AM »
I must be conflating AE merits and the merit system, or possibly having an episode of dementia.  And why are you all in my house?
Where's the cheese? I've got all this whine but no cheese. How can you not have any cheese?
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4947 on: February 10, 2015, 05:00:24 AM »
(words words words)

The odds of coming up all sixes is 46,656 to one.  But the odds of the dice coming up *interesting-looking* is a lot higher, because people categorize a lot of different possibilities as interesting.

The problem of course is that if you have interesting numbers, you must also have non-interesting numbers. if you have non-interesting numbers, you can find the smallest such number, which makes it interesting!  ;)

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4948 on: February 10, 2015, 03:07:26 PM »
In most cases I examined where someone thought the streakbreaker was broken, the root cause was due to a mistaken belief that the streakbreaker affected attacks when it affected attackers.  What this meant was that everything you did that incurred a tohit roll, including things like non-autohitting auras, would be part of the streakbreaker streak calculations.  Suppose you are attacking with nothing but well-slotted attacks and also happen to have a damage aura turned on that wasn't slotted.  You could have the aura missing at very low tohit chance and that would allow the streakbreaker to accept a large number of misses in a row, even if all of your "attacks" appeared to have high chance to hit.

But in this case there's another explanation.  At least when it was first enabled the "last tohit" thing in the real numbers display wasn't accurate.  It was the unmodified tohit (meaning before target defense and combat modifiers), much like how Mids did the same thing.  There were technical reasons for this, but unless someone fixed it late that wasn't trustworthy for streakbreaker.  You needed to watch your tohit roll information in your combat chat to be certain of what was going on with the streakbreaker.  I don't think that was ever fixed, although my memory is not as good as when I was a youngin.

The RND used by CoH for tohit calculations itself was, to the best of anyone's ability to detect, random enough for MMO purposes.  It had a bit of a roundoff skew in the ten thousandths place (hundredth of a percent) which no one would notice, and because of the way it was used it had a peculiar alias that ended up making exact rolls of zero and 100 slightly off (also unnoticeable), but that was it.  The slight skews I could detect were several orders of magnitude smaller than anything players could detect observationally, and I could detect those but not the others that were reported.

This one was when the display was working properly, I could use the same attack and have different results displayed against foes that adjusted it.

I wasn't claiming the streakbreaker was off, I was saying it didn't apply because I'd have sands of mu misses, 3 other attacks some of which hit, sands of mu misses again and I was talking about 24 successive sands of mu misses not 24 successive overall misses.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4949 on: February 10, 2015, 07:18:16 PM »
This one was when the display was working properly, I could use the same attack and have different results displayed against foes that adjusted it.

I wasn't claiming the streakbreaker was off, I was saying it didn't apply because I'd have sands of mu misses, 3 other attacks some of which hit, sands of mu misses again and I was talking about 24 successive sands of mu misses not 24 successive overall misses.

I misunderstood your point.  However, I don't believe improper reseeding could explain your observations either.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4950 on: February 10, 2015, 07:35:49 PM »
Now, this was something that never made sense to me about AE missions. Inf -- influence, infamy, or information -- was abstracted as your ability to get other people to do things for you because of your reputation. Out of respect for your service to the city, for influence; out of fear of what you might do to them, for infamy; in response to the leverage it could be used for, for information. But all of these represent how the other people viewed your character. AE missions happen entirely in a virtual world; none of the events that occur in an AE mission affect the 'real world'. Completing a mission inside AE gives you practice in the use of your powers, and would thereby gain you experience. But if a new hero went into the AE building at level 1 and did nothing but AE missions, when they came out to get enhancements, nobody would know who he was; as far as they were concerned, he'd never done anything to protect Paragon City -- in the 'real world', he wouldn't have any influence, because he hadn't done anything in the 'real world'. It doesn't matter how many times you crawled into your electronic navel and soloed Emperor Cole, or Reichsman, or U'kon G'rai; none of that was real. Tickets, sure; that's the AE system's internal reward system to encourage you to participate. But gaining any sort of reputation from defeating virtual ghosts? Not a chance. Level from 1 to 50 inside AE, and you come out and try to play on your reputation, and people are going to ask who you are; they would never have heard of you, except perhaps in a news story about the victims of AE addiction.

AE missions should give you XP and tickets; if you want to earn inf, you should have to go out in the 'real world' and do things that other people can see you doing to build your reputation.

Wish I saw this earlier and I agree that influence shouldn't be rewarded in AE.  It'd not only make more sense but also prevent the hyper inflation we saw when it did.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4951 on: February 10, 2015, 07:42:49 PM »
It's funny - some people saw the AE as "OMG, new content."

Others as "Hellooooooo, farm central."

Me? "BOOYAH, CUSTOMIZABLE FILMING ENVIRONMENT!"

When the game goes live again, I'll need to finish my 10-mission, 2-part story arc "The War Witch Task Force."

Thank heavens I still have all my AE files, so I won't have to recreate all my previous work.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

I had a 10 part mission arch in the making.  I'm considering starting it up again, though now I actually have an even better grasp of what I really want to do with it.

As it was I was planning on making it increasingly difficult as the missions progress, but some of the things I'd played since, yeah, I can't wait for city of heroes to be back up.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4952 on: February 10, 2015, 07:51:17 PM »
I had a 10 part mission arch in the making.  I'm considering starting it up again, though now I actually have an even better grasp of what I really want to do with it.

As it was I was planning on making it increasingly difficult as the missions progress, but some of the things I'd played since, yeah, I can't wait for city of heroes to be back up.
I only ever created one AE mission.  I was originally doing it for the badge/accolade, but I made it into a small comedy arc based on a passing joke from one of my friends.  Since Azuria's always losing things (or having them stolen), he suggested an AE mish where Azuria sends you out to retrieve a rather...explicit...video from her time at Hogwarts.  So I actually made it, to the amusement of my SG, and called it "Azuria's Indiscretions."

The mission souvenir was "A fat stack of hush money - now keep your mouth shut!"  :)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4953 on: February 10, 2015, 08:02:32 PM »
Wish I saw this earlier and I agree that influence shouldn't be rewarded in AE.  It'd not only make more sense but also prevent the hyper inflation we saw when it did.

Not to pick on your specifically, but throughout the game there was talk of "hyper inflation" but there was no such thing that I observed.  Hyperinflation suggests that as time progressed the price of items rapidly increased continuously.  I saw no evidence of that.  There were things that were very expensive, but those prices fluctuated up and down: they did not monotonically go up.

That's important because of what removing inf from the AE would do.  I don't think it would have brought prices down.  In fact, its very likely prices would stay the same.  The price of really expensive stuff was being driven by the players with the largest amount of influence, and those players did not need AE inf to get there.  You wouldn't hurt the rich players by removing AE inf.  You'd be more likely to hurt more casual players that would lose a source of inf that was more likely to be significant (when you don't have a lot of inf, taking any source of it away disproportionately hurts you more than the people who already are swimming in it).

When the markets first opened prices started off low and then quickly ramped up.  But that was because the market was still finding its level and people were still learning what other people were willing to pay for things.  Players were experimenting with marketing strategies.  But after the first six months or so, things started to settle down and after a year prices were fluctuating more than they were inflating, except for the most valuable purples which were not introduced until after the markets had been up for about six months.  They themselves took a year to an year and a half to find a level and stabilize.  After an initial rise in prices, there was a split between the "expensive" purples and the "cheap" purples where some continued to go up and others went down in price over time, which suggests the price changes were more the result of demand pressure than currency inflation.

Ultimately, the problem was not the sources of inf but the sinks for inf.  No matter where the sources were, some players would get a lot and some would get less due to differences in gameplay and the richer players would always dominate the buy-side prices for things.  I emphasized what the problem with the theory that currency supply inflation was the problem with a thought experiment.  Suppose the devs were to take every single player and divide their total influence by ten.  Basically lop off a zero.  Hypothetically speaking, prices for things in the markets would drop.  But practically speaking, the players with more influence would still be buying all the supply and the players with less would still have difficulty.  Its just that rather than 100 million that purple would now be getting bid at 10 million, but your 5 million inf would now be only 500k and it would still be just as expensive relatively speaking as it was before.

The side effects of such a move, though, would probably be to make the gap *worse*.  Consider that the rich players didn't get that way by luck: they had the knowledge, experience, or just plain temperment to farm up all that inf.  They would immediate start doing so again, at probably a faster rate than before to make up for the lost inf.  The players that did not have lots of inf would have to go back to earning it normally.  You might temporarily make the gap between them smaller on an absolute basis, but on a relative basis it would still be just as large and eventually it would be even worse on an absolute basis.

As Codewalker suggested earlier, the only way to close the gap between the rich and the poor is to convince the rich to spend their arsenal of inf on something whose benefits are commensurately lower relative to what the poorer players can get.  Vanity items, for example, can burn a lot of inf without providing a significant benefit to the rich that would allow them to increase their wealth gap.  Consumables that return less inf (in terms of how they can be used) than they cost in statistical terms are another way to do that.  If I have 100 billion inf and you have 10 million, there is simply no way to change the sources of inf that will ever bring us remotely close together.  Let me rent the Atlas blimp for my birthday, on the other hand, and eventually I will have a lot less inf and you'll have some ability to catch up (but of course you'd have a lot fewer blimp parties).

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #4954 on: February 10, 2015, 08:03:05 PM »
I only ever created one AE mission.  I was originally doing it for the badge/accolade, but I made it into a small comedy arc based on a passing joke from one of my friends.  Since Azuria's always losing things (or having them stolen), he suggested an AE mish where Azuria sends you out to retrieve a rather...explicit...video from her time at Hogwarts.  So I actually made it, to the amusement of my SG, and called it "Azuria's Indiscretions."

The mission souvenir was "A fat stack of hush money - now keep your mouth shut!"  :)

First one I created on the test server was when Positron wanted us to test the profanity/content filters.

So I made a one-shot mission called "Positron Gets Some." Synapse was the contact, and he set you up with introducing Positron to a bunch of Carnies, and the end-boss Carnie Mistress had a crapton of suggestive dialogue. (And the souvenir was a condom.) When Matt found out about it, his only comment was:

"*facepalm*"

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4955 on: February 10, 2015, 08:03:54 PM »

nice :) I too had an ongoing epic arc, however, I stopped when I found out no body was playing them I would spend months on them to get them how I wanted them to be represented. And for my troubles I had to coheres my global friends  into playing them. The only thing I asked is they be brutally honest. My first mission (I call this my George Lucas arc) because I wanted a way for telling what started a great war. It got 50 plays and it was a 4 star. My 4th arc was a 25 5 star arc. Then I started to notice that less people played my last 4 arcs with a total of 6 5 stars. To say the least I was dishearten and I carry this into STO's mission editor. In that I made a return to wolf 359 and it is 50% done then I remembered what is the point. Some people will always play the farming missions.
When City of comes back please,please,please have a way for people to post their arcs here or on the official boards.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4956 on: February 10, 2015, 08:08:55 PM »
nice :) I too had an ongoing epic arc, however, I stopped when I found out no body was playing them I would spend months on them to get them how I wanted them to be represented. And for my troubles I had to coheres my global friends  into playing them. The only thing I asked is they be brutally honest. My first mission (I call this my George Lucas arc) because I wanted a way for telling what started a great war. It got 50 plays and it was a 4 star. My 4th arc was a 25 5 star arc. Then I started to notice that less people played my last 4 arcs with a total of 6 5 stars. To say the least I was dishearten and I carry this into STO's mission editor. In that I made a return to wolf 359 and it is 50% done then I remembered what is the point. Some people will always play the farming missions.
When City of comes back please,please,please have a way for people to post their arcs here or on the official boards.

I had a really fun arc where, for the 1st 4 missions, you rescued 4 of my hero toons from 4 of my villain toons... with the 5th mission being you team up with the 4 heroes to take down the 4 villains and their minions.   Very fun, and very tough.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4957 on: February 10, 2015, 08:20:24 PM »
I had a really fun arc where, for the 1st 4 missions, you rescued 4 of my hero toons from 4 of my villain toons... with the 5th mission being you team up with the 4 heroes to take down the 4 villains and their minions.   Very fun, and very tough.
nice :), that is how I figured the last mission, it had to be hard so I made the av /wp and I want to say fire/. There were only three people who played it myself, my brother, and one of his friends. In that arc, I killed Statesman even before Paragon did it :D. I also killed another hero atm I don't recall who though. :(. I want Statesman's death to mean something to Recluse and the world. (That is not to say it did not have the same impact on the game, when Paragon did it.)
My last first three was building up to a Time to Stand my middle arc.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4958 on: February 10, 2015, 08:41:48 PM »
I misunderstood your point.  However, I don't believe improper reseeding could explain your observations either.

There were other ludicrous sequences as well, upgrading SOs on levelling, a mix of 75% and 80% chances, 24 straight successes followed by 6 straight failures.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4959 on: February 10, 2015, 09:41:58 PM »
First one I created on the test server was when Positron wanted us to test the profanity/content filters.

So I made a one-shot mission called "Positron Gets Some." Synapse was the contact, and he set you up with introducing Positron to a bunch of Carnies, and the end-boss Carnie Mistress had a crapton of suggestive dialogue. (And the souvenir was a condom.) When Matt found out about it, his only comment was:

"*facepalm*"

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

Architect beta testing was probably the craziest beta test CoH ever conducted.