Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749904 times)

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4140 on: November 15, 2014, 02:36:05 AM »
Only problem with giving free accounts full chat is the spam from for-profit farmers, trying to sell powerlevelling or rare drops for real cash. You can ban the spammer, but they just make a new free acc and do it again. I agree it's less than ideal, but it might be necessary

Honestly I don't think CoX would be a big enough market for gold farmers to give a crap about. Thinking about cost benefit, the time they spending grinding for inf in CoX, more than likely would have made more money from WoW or ESO or what ever is out there right now

Darkfaith

• Minion
« Reply #4141 on: November 15, 2014, 03:05:58 AM »
Honestly I don't think CoX would be a big enough market for gold farmers to give a crap about. Thinking about cost benefit, the time they spending grinding for inf in CoX, more than likely would have made more money from WoW or ESO or what ever is out there right now

You would think that, but when the AH was first introduced, and CoH suddenly had an economy...you couldn't go five minutes without blocking at least 5 of them. There were times when the chat was utterly overwhelmed by inf seller spam, and that was long before Freedom. If there's a game that they can potentially make money off of, they're there. I remember clearly playing in the Aion beta...and there were spammers in the -beta-. The servers were going to be wiped, and they were still there, trying to get people to buy their stuff.

I'm not fond of the chat restrictions on free accounts, but I can understand them. We can hope that the spammers would overlook a zombie game with a (relatively) small following, but it would be potentially harmful to a relaunch to count on it.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #4142 on: November 15, 2014, 03:13:13 AM »
spammer were a problem early on in CoH, but  don't remember having to block more than a handful in the final 2 years.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Darkfaith

• Minion
« Reply #4143 on: November 15, 2014, 03:19:53 AM »
spammer were a problem early on in CoH, but  don't remember having to block more than a handful in the final 2 years.

It certainly got a lot better, but most of that can probably be attributed to the chat measures put in place by Paragon, and their diligence in smacking the spammers with the ban hammer. They got it down to a tolerable level, but that doesn't mean the spammers gave up by any means. Really, only someone who handled that at Paragon could give us any sort of statistics on that. If the new people find that they have the wiggle room to relax restrictions after the fact, I'd rather see that happen than relaunching without them and finding themselves overwhelmed.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #4144 on: November 15, 2014, 03:22:21 AM »
i have faith that the team will be on top of it  ;D
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4145 on: November 15, 2014, 05:37:22 AM »
i have faith that the team will be on top of it  ;D

As long as I get my "canadian hockey team " mastermind I will be happy.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4146 on: November 15, 2014, 05:41:19 AM »

You'd be surprised, I'd say it'd only take months before a few decide to try and introduce the newly revived CoX to the gold farming blackmarket.  They(the gold farmers and black market dealers) tend to look for every opportunity :/.  Greed drives people to do crazy things afterall, and opportunists will often just be opportunists :(.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #4147 on: November 15, 2014, 05:48:05 AM »

Only if I can really get my Evil Clowns MM and not a cruel April Fools Joke!
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4148 on: November 15, 2014, 06:59:33 AM »

Wait. There's only 6 players on Canadian hockey teams?

This explains so much. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4149 on: November 15, 2014, 10:19:25 AM »
And I've been waiting years to play NekoMancer... my female MistressMind in control of a mob of Catgirls! Nyaaaa!  (Neko means Cat in Japanese.... grin)

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #4150 on: November 15, 2014, 11:06:32 AM »
Reading through the replies on here - I have changed my tune a bit.

I think I would offer a 3 tier structure:

Speaking as a card carrying member of the ramen brigade...I think I love you, Ironwolf!

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4151 on: November 15, 2014, 04:21:32 PM »
And I've been waiting years to play NekoMancer... my female MistressMind in control of a mob of Catgirls! Nyaaaa!  (Neko means Cat in Japanese.... grin)
now there is a power set I would love to have :D
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4152 on: November 16, 2014, 04:21:25 AM »
Reading through the replies on here - I have changed my tune a bit.

I think I would offer a 3 tier structure:

1. $15 a month and you get it all - all veteran powers, the same amount of points you used to get a month and all special badges past, present and future to all characters.

2. $5 a month you get to start new and have to build up to the veteran powers (or buy them as an add on for a nominal fee). You get nothing but a shiney new account and a small monthly point allowance.
J
3. F2P - all the earlier restrictions of a F2P account as of i23.

This sounds like a pretty good compromise. I dread the return of gold farmers, but am willing to compromise.
[/quote]

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4153 on: November 16, 2014, 05:52:57 AM »
I can't see Gold Farmers returning to a game that is itself returning from the dead.   
Anytime  a farmer would broadcast they would get reported and their account nuked. 
Then they altered trial accounts as I recall to eliminate certain chat features to stop the gold farmers and that greatly reduced the farm spam.

Once the game returns, simply don't offer trial accounts.  Between Gold Farmers and those that would use trial accounts to try to name grief, we would be better off without them.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4154 on: November 16, 2014, 06:01:06 AM »
I can't see Gold Farmers returning to a game that is itself returning from the dead.   
Anytime  a farmer would broadcast they would get reported and their account nuked. 
Then they altered trial accounts as I recall to eliminate certain chat features to stop the gold farmers and that greatly reduced the farm spam.

Once the game returns, simply don't offer trial accounts.  Between Gold Farmers and those that would use trial accounts to try to name grief, we would be better off without them.

That and the same reason there wasn't gold farmers really near the end.  A) Chat restrictions and B) Influence is super easy to obtain in that game.  There is no reason to buy Inf because it comes in so fast you can make others toons just for holding it.  There is no money to be made selling Inf in City of Heroes.  Sure there are always the occasional go-getters that set up bots to spam any possible game in existence.  But for the most part I imagine it will remain untouched.

Not to mention the community.  I had so much money near the end of the game I would have just given someone millions of inf before they went and bought some.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4155 on: November 16, 2014, 06:50:58 AM »
That and the same reason there wasn't gold farmers really near the end.  A) Chat restrictions and B) Influence is super easy to obtain in that game.  There is no reason to buy Inf because it comes in so fast you can make others toons just for holding it.  There is no money to be made selling Inf in City of Heroes.  Sure there are always the occasional go-getters that set up bots to spam any possible game in existence.  But for the most part I imagine it will remain untouched.

Not to mention the community.  I had so much money near the end of the game I would have just given someone millions of inf before they went and bought some.

I liked that if you wanted inf it wasnt hard to get. you could build toons without months of painful grinding. I only had 3 billion or so but it was plenty.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4156 on: November 16, 2014, 07:14:13 AM »
There was a TON at one time. I had my block list full. The chat restrictions among other things fixed that.

Groundbreaker

• Minion
« Reply #4157 on: November 16, 2014, 08:09:34 AM »
Wasn't there also a cap on how much Inf a trial account could have? I don't remember if that restriction carried over to F2P it probably didn't but a lower Inf cap would deter spammers selling Inf.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4158 on: November 16, 2014, 10:15:11 AM »
Wasn't there also a cap on how much Inf a trial account could have? I don't remember if that restriction carried over to F2P it probably didn't but a lower Inf cap would deter spammers selling Inf.

Free/Premium accounts did have a limit on inf.  25 million I believe it was
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4159 on: November 16, 2014, 02:02:30 PM »
Free/Premium accounts did have a limit on inf.  25 million I believe it was

Various inf caps mid page here mid page: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Influence