Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712511 times)

Shifter

• Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #840 on: September 04, 2014, 02:56:50 AM »
Ok, so...by special request. New pictures of REALLY unpolished stuff.
Warning: Seriously under construction.

Very cool. Thanks for passing those along : )
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #841 on: September 04, 2014, 02:56:59 AM »
Another minor point about voiceovers is that it isn't terribly friendly for international players or the hearing-impaired.

there are aspects of voice-over that I think can be very fun . Perhaps if live voice-actors were added who would really communicate and keep it fresh, people would like it more ?

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #842 on: September 04, 2014, 02:59:57 AM »
Another minor point about voiceovers is that it isn't terribly friendly for international players or the hearing-impaired.

The easy fix is to have an option for subtitles that cab be turned on/off.

No problem.

ObsidianPhoenix76

• Lieutenant
« Reply #843 on: September 04, 2014, 03:00:58 AM »
Darn it all, I have to stop watching those CoH videos (That one, the "City of Heroes Remains", the original one from
Angry Angels, and of course anything from SamuraiKo).  Now I have to type through watery eyes.

Ok then I will not post my farewell video...

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #844 on: September 04, 2014, 03:02:07 AM »

I know the feeling,mate :) but noooo, please post video :)

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #845 on: September 04, 2014, 03:03:19 AM »
Not to be rude, hopelives, but that  completely ignores the point I'd brought up.  And live speech would be even more unhelpful for them, as they couldn't even count on accurate subtitles/translations on the fly.

Plus the sheer scale of the voicework for something with the amount of content as CoH would be daunting.

Pherdnut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #846 on: September 04, 2014, 03:04:57 AM »
Downloading the UnReal 4 client now.

The version is the newest one but I assume you can rollback. I did not see options to get a different one.

I did get word from Codewalker that he is fine with porting Icon over to UnReal 4. Now to figure out how to do all this stuff!

If it were Node.js, it would be easy. But we can't all live in divine providence : D

Actually I'm really psyched about UE4 and embarrassed at myself for not realizing how big of a deal it was while moping over COH's apparent death. 19 bucks for anybody? It's a game changer. Still not as painless as Node.js is on the install equation mind you but nothing is perfect.

ObsidianPhoenix76

• Lieutenant
« Reply #847 on: September 04, 2014, 03:06:14 AM »
   I know the feeling,mate :) but noooo, please post video :)

Don't say I did not warn you....

While not a professional as others, I thought I did ok with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAFUpmFMaIY

Talon Blue

• Minion
« Reply #848 on: September 04, 2014, 03:06:34 AM »
I am so tempted to fire up Mids and start planning. I'm holding back to be safe and not get caught up by expectation. But after being away from CoH for so long, I really hope the deal goes through.

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #849 on: September 04, 2014, 03:06:50 AM »
Not to be rude, hopelives, but that  completely ignores the point I'd brought up.  And live speech would be even more unhelpful for them, as they couldn't even count on accurate subtitles/translations on the fly.

Plus the sheer scale of the voicework for something with the amount of content as CoH would be daunting.
i do understand your point and that not everyone would be able to hear the voice-actors, but that's  where your work-a-round ideas would work great for then, no ?

Pherdnut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #850 on: September 04, 2014, 03:14:41 AM »
Pretty much this :)

The Secret World was just about the only game that I could bring myself to play after CoH was closed.

The immersive nature of that game was helped immeasurably by the use of speech integrated NPC's.

I would certainly recommend that any revamp of CoH uses speech.

I stopped playing but I did love that about TSW and that experience vs what SWTOR was reporting on the development side of it inform many of my opinions on the matter. But you do have to be careful even with that precaution. MMO might go decades. Voice actors get hit by buses and heart attacks. You only get so many opportunities to record potential flashbacks with Aunt May and nobody ever has pre-emptive money to invest.

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #851 on: September 04, 2014, 03:16:36 AM »

i really do understand, and am sorry for your loss. CoH was the last  game, the last mmo that my wife and I played before she passed on,and we both loved it. So I do understand how hard it is to go on. Bless You,Mate,always.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #852 on: September 04, 2014, 03:26:34 AM »
a Blaster that..that..doesn't die ?   no such critter,lol ;)

You need to hang out with me.. my Blasters do not die constantly...

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #853 on: September 04, 2014, 03:35:18 AM »

Water/dark and Archery/mm were pretty big murder-machines.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #854 on: September 04, 2014, 03:37:50 AM »

My first toon was a Defender that I played as a "Fake Blaster/Fake Healer" that did die constantly. I would imagine that it took me about eighteen times the normal XP to finally make it to 50. When I finally made a real blaster, it died just as often. . .

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #855 on: September 04, 2014, 03:41:30 AM »

well, time for me to sleep. Stay strong,friends. I wish you all the best of nights :)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #856 on: September 04, 2014, 04:00:35 AM »
Ok guys, recall, this is still still very much tentative, so I would not recommend buying anything just yet.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #857 on: September 04, 2014, 04:06:01 AM »
Water/dark and Archery/mm were pretty big murder-machines.

My elec/elec/elec blaster had a hard time facing enemies able to do much more than gently poke her - immensely satisfying.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Surelle

« Reply #858 on: September 04, 2014, 04:08:35 AM »
Ok guys, recall, this is still still very much tentative, so I would not recommend buying anything just yet.

Well, what was Irish_Girl going to do with Atlas Park Revival before this deal was put on the table with NCSoft?    ;)   Don't worry, Downix, it's only $19.00 US.  I doubt many of us are planning on getting a bunch of updates or anything at this point.  And $19.00, that's barely over a month's cost for a CoX sub.  Don't take it as a pressure thing where you guys suddenly have to make NCSoft ink a deal.  We know it's still unlikely it will all really happen.  Think of it as free advertising for Unreal 4, and think of us as a bunch of CoX players antsy to get back in touch with our game however we can.   We're all just noodling around at this point.  Worst case, maybe you will someday get a few free donations to the UE4 cause for CoT.   :D

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #859 on: September 04, 2014, 04:09:03 AM »

Amazing stuff.   As a person who got emotionally attached to characters, your Crystal character must have meant the world to you.  Got me all choked up thinking about you and your daughter.