Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1741271 times)

Remidi

• Minion
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2014, 10:43:46 PM »
*scratches head*  I'm a bit cornfuzzled by all this, but for now I'll just say thanks for all the hard work, and you have my best wishes for success.  Everything else will shake out eventually.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2014, 10:45:02 PM »
The inability to make fixes kind of worries me - issues can occur due to windows updates or other changes to the client side.
Issues can also occur due to database...

If anything like this occurs, it could literally shut the entire game down.
Crying shame you couldn't get the I23 source.
Yes I think that without the source code, its just like reviving the game for a little while so you can say your final goodbyes... But I wonder if the source code is completely off the table, or is it just not part of the current talks?

I'm not directly involved in the talks with NCSoft, but from what I understand the source is completely off the table, and many of the tools required simply don't exist anymore.
This is where Revival comes in. The plan is kind of...to replace CoH with it. CoH 1.5/CoH 2 if you will. Same setting, same stories you've all known and loved. New engine, new updates, new stories for you to, hopefully, come to love.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2014, 10:45:18 PM »
COH comes back with I23, to be moved onto Unreal4 to both update AND get around whatever problems Windows 9
will cause. That's COH1.5

The successors, all of them, are to be considered COH2, as it were.

I read it this way, too. Not an expert, but that was how I understood it, too.

Eskreema

• Lieutenant
« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2014, 10:45:38 PM »
I just wanted to say thank you and good luck, we're all counting on you. (Leslie Neilson)
Global: Iron Smoke.  Boards: Kractis Sky. Server:  Champion.  Main:  Eskreema

I don't always get sucked into a jet engine and live to talk about it, but when I do I use the new ICD-10 V97.33XD code.  Because things like that need to be trended by your insurance company and your money!

Surelle

« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2014, 10:46:09 PM »
And details such as how we will gain access (subscription, micro-transactions, etc) haven't been released yet (or maybe even decided upon).

Can't wait for more details.

Please remember what Nate said, this is far from final and may never get that far: 

So where are we now?

Right now, still discussing terms, ideas, limits. The challenges we have been given we stepped up for and handled. Likely there will be discussions and adjustments right up until the moment the deal is signed. The whole thing may fall apart. For all we know, everything done so far has been nothing but a delaying tactic so they can say once again that they tried to work with the community to no avail. But until such time that becomes clear, we will continue forward in good faith.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2014, 10:47:59 PM »
I'm not directly involved in the talks with NCSoft, but from what I understand the source is completely off the table, and many of the tools required simply don't exist anymore.
This is where Revival comes in. The plan is kind of...to replace CoH with it. CoH 1.5/CoH 2 if you will. Same setting, same stories you've all known and loved. New engine, new updates, new stories for you to, hopefully, come to love.

This may be a stupid question, but when CoX 1.5 comes in, will the data be x-fered (toons, global, items, in, Sg, Sg Base, Etc) be also ported over from the new CoX under your control or will we need to restart everything again when CoX 1.5 come out? Either way in fine with both

Arnabas

• Minion
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2014, 10:48:12 PM »
I guess what I am most curious about is whether any successor will have the same gameplay at all, or whether we'll be playing an entirely new and different game that just happens to be set in Paragon City, or even in some other city with characters saying ''Yeah, I used to live in Paragon, but I moved here recently. Glad I don't have to deal with Rikti anymore!''

Also, each game being CoH 2, means that there isn't really one official continuation, just various Elseworlds continuations.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2014, 10:49:15 PM »
I guess what I am most curious about is whether any successor will have the same gameplay at all, or whether we'll be playing an entirely new and different game that just happens to be set in Paragon City, or even in some other city with characters saying ''Yeah, I used to live in Paragon, but I moved here recently. Glad I don't have to deal with Rikti anymore!''

It seems to me like the whole idea with CoH 1.5 is to basically have CoH live on in a more future-proofed way. Exactly CoH, just updatable, more features to AE, etc.
Woo! - Argent Girl

erich

• Minion
    • Art of War Gaming
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2014, 10:49:25 PM »
Please remember what Nate said, this is far from final and may never get that far: 

So where are we now?

Right now, still discussing terms, ideas, limits. The challenges we have been given we stepped up for and handled. Likely there will be discussions and adjustments right up until the moment the deal is signed. The whole thing may fall apart. For all we know, everything done so far has been nothing but a delaying tactic so they can say once again that they tried to work with the community to no avail. But until such time that becomes clear, we will continue forward in good faith.

Delay what? Saying no? That doesn't seem very rational to me at all. They're a corporation, they could have ended it at anytime. I highly doubt they have ANY reason to delay talks. What's the end game? What do they gain by delaying?

It's just best to not speculate on it anymore and take it as it is. Good news.

Just my opinion on it.
Art of War Gaming
A friendly community of gamers

Sermon

• Minion
« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2014, 10:50:21 PM »
This may be a stupid question, but when CoX 1.5 comes in, will the data be x-fered (toons, global, items, in, Sg, Sg Base, Etc) be also ported over from the new CoX under your control or will we need to restart everything again when CoX 1.5 come out? Either way in fine with both

I would guess that they will make a good faith effort to migrate everything from CoX 1 to 1.5.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #150 on: September 01, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »

That's something I can't really answer yet, as I don't have an answer myself. For the sake of not having any broken hearts, I'd expect it to be a fresh start.
I do plan on looking into it, however there are alot of technical issues to work around.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #151 on: September 01, 2014, 10:51:26 PM »
I would guess that they will make a good faith effort to migrate everything from CoX 1 to 1.5.

This, basically.
"Let's get dangerous..."

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2014, 10:51:41 PM »
That's something I can't really answer yet, as I don't have an answer myself. For the sake of not having any broken hearts, I'd expect it to be a fresh start.
I do plan on looking into it, however there are alot of technical issues to work around.

Understood thanks for the reply

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #153 on: September 01, 2014, 10:54:06 PM »
To all parties involved in this process, thank you very much . See you guys in Paragon  :)

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #154 on: September 01, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »
What group would be actually running the CoH 1 to 1.5 servers?
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

bugzee

« Reply #155 on: September 01, 2014, 10:55:21 PM »
It seems to me like the whole idea with CoH 1.5 is to basically have CoH live on in a more future-proofed way. Exactly CoH, just updatable, more features to AE, etc.

Rereading Nate's post gave me that impression too. I think the big thing is that CoH 1.5 devs will have the right to recreate the game that we love, but on a new engine. And that the other spiritual successors no longer have to be scared of getting the pants sued off of them for resembling CoX. And that the i23 game will live on, but for how long?

Eskreema

• Lieutenant
« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2014, 10:56:37 PM »
Lol, so basically in Arcana's vision the pitching off of dimentions is made by the Rularuu/"spiritual" successors, the portal technology is unreal4, and the unsuitable passage of time is Microsoft/ascended hami.... How trite.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:07:20 PM by Eskreema »
Global: Iron Smoke.  Boards: Kractis Sky. Server:  Champion.  Main:  Eskreema

I don't always get sucked into a jet engine and live to talk about it, but when I do I use the new ICD-10 V97.33XD code.  Because things like that need to be trended by your insurance company and your money!

Dal

• Minion
« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2014, 10:59:15 PM »
Thank you so much for this.  :D I'm really hopeful now.

lintboy

• Underling
« Reply #158 on: September 01, 2014, 10:59:23 PM »
OK, but how does this affect us Mac users? Will I23 run on OSX Mavericks (10.9.x) or Yosemite (10.10.x)?

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2014, 11:00:04 PM »
OK, but how does this affect us Mac users? Will I23 run on OSX Mavericks (10.9.x) or Yosemite (10.10.x)?

Whatever the current I23 Mac client runs on.
"Let's get dangerous..."