Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1740865 times)

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2014, 10:01:45 PM »
EDIT: dumb question, I will reword
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:26:24 PM by Teikiatsu »
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2014, 10:02:50 PM »
I'm purely speculating here, but the interpretation I have from downix's post (PLEASE correct me if I've
misinterpreted) is:

1>  *IF* they get that COH-I23 binary, that could be run in maintenance mode on pre Win-9
software environment and server(s). There's no character or account data, so I assume any players
would (by necessity) start from scratch. Nothing has been mentioned about pricing or vet rewards etc.

2> MWM - CoT would be able to be released as COH 1.5

3> Future ? ? ?

So, presuming the first IF becomes fact, I'd say "yes, we can get our game back", but for how long they
are willing to host it, and how long you want to keep your PC at Win 8(?) or earlier, and at what costs,
remain open questions.

Regards,
My question is does this give them the ability to have a CoH2 not just "spiritual successors? Obviously I am happy and grateful but it would be nice to know this isn't the only possibity either.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2014, 10:03:10 PM »
I'm purely speculating here, but the interpretation I have from downix's post (PLEASE correct me if I've
misinterpreted) is:

1>  *IF* they get that COH-I23 binary, that could be run in maintenance mode on pre Win-9
software environment and server(s). There's no character or account data, so I assume any players
would (by necessity) start from scratch. Nothing has been mentioned about pricing or vet rewards etc.

2> MWM - CoT would be able to be released as COH 1.5

3> Future ? ? ?

So, presuming the first IF becomes fact, I'd say "yes, we can get our game back", but for how long they
are willing to host it, and how long you want to keep your PC at Win 8(?) or earlier, and at what costs,
remain open questions.

Regards,
Not quite for #2. Under the plan, the CoT build would be licensed to Atlas Park Revived to make CoH 1.5.
Same engine, different games. May have a shared user database and crossover opportunities, but that it up to MWM and APR.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »
This might not be the best question, but do you think that moving CoX over to the unreal engine will have any negative repercussions? It might just be me but I can't help but worry that it might lose some of its visual charm. Like I said might be a stupid question, but I still can't help but worry a little.  ???

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2014, 10:03:38 PM »
I'm not to concerned about the Windows 9 incompatibility thing, we have emulators for nearly every operating system ever created at our fingertips.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2014, 10:04:10 PM »
Ok...since a couple of you are answering questions, yay!

Issue 23 - good. I can work with that. That means that ski chalet will still be open. Very, very good! Love to ski. (not in real life, I'd break my legs)

A migration to APR - did I get the right? First, CoH as we knew it would be up, live, only no character data. All starting from scratch. Better that than nothing. Then, we migrate to APR, which is like a CoH 1.5 because it's on Unreal 4 and can handle Windows 9. No time table for this, because nobody is forcing us to use Win 9.

Then, eventually, one or more of the "spiritual successors" would come out with their respective games, and if they use CoH stuff, they would deal with the new licensing company that would own the rights to CoH. They drop the "spiritual", because they would be the real successors to the game. But - Valiance, MWM, and I guess Heroes and Villains - they are each making their own game, I thought. Who's working on CoH 2.0? Or did I make an inferential leap that has no legs to land with?

I keep reading and I'm just overloaded, so I'm sorry if you've spelled it out in black and white and I just didn't get it.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »
I guess my main confusion is:

WTH is CoH 1.5??

Is there plans for a CoH2?

How long will CoH 1 be online/playable?

Is CoH 1.5 just CoH1 but "altered" to run on Unreal 4??

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2014, 10:06:31 PM »

Issue 23 - good. I can work with that. That means that ski chalet will still be open. Very, very good! Love to ski. (not in real life, I'd break my legs)

A migration to APR - did I get the right? First, CoH as we knew it would be up, live, only no character data. All starting from scratch. Better that than nothing. Then, we migrate to APR, which is like a CoH 1.5 because it's on Unreal 4 and can handle Windows 9. No time table for this, because nobody is forcing us to use Win 9.

Then, eventually, one or more of the "spiritual successors" would come out with their respective games, and if they use CoH stuff, they would deal with the new licensing company that would own the rights to CoH. They drop the "spiritual", because they would be the real successors to the game. But - Valiance, MWM, and I guess Heroes and Villains - they are each making their own game, I thought. Who's working on CoH 2.0? Or did I make an inferential leap that has no legs to land with?

I keep reading and I'm just overloaded, so I'm sorry if you've spelled it out in black and white and I just didn't get it.
I really hope CoH 2 would be part of this.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2014, 10:06:52 PM »
For starters, for those who don't know.... I run APR. Nate and I have been in talks for a little while now, and I've got a pretty good handle on what the plan is. I'll try and answer some people's questions as best I can, So poor Nate isn't having to do everything.

CoH Issue 23 is planned to make a return, yes. However, the team will not have the ability to make ANY updates to it. No new content, no new costume pieces, no patching out bugs.

On windows 9, I have no information. Most likely there will be compatability issues with running something as old as CoH. Also, see above...No new content.

any inkling of a time frame? 2 to 6 months? etc?

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2014, 10:07:34 PM »
...as a City of Titans Kickstarter, this is just about the best possible news I could have hoped for...

As another Kickstarter supporter, I just wanted to say that this mirrors my thoughts exactly.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2014, 10:08:08 PM »
The CoH IP would be spun to its own company, to handle licensing. This company would itself license the existing engine from NCSoft for the creation of a maintenance mode, using a binary copy of the i23 server.

The existing user database and characters are not part of this arrangement at this time, nor is the source code.

Is it possible to elaborate upon the code situation?
1: without the source code, is it possible to add new powers to the game (with or without new animations), or are the various databases hard-coded into the source code rather than maintained in an external database?
2: if it is possible to add new powers, does the studio intend to add future issues with new powers, powersets, etcetera, or is there no chance, or is it still up in the air depending on what tools are found that can be used to edit the databases?

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2014, 10:08:54 PM »
I am surprised :) (I take a nap and wake up to something great.) Keep up the great job.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »
Amazing... I am so happy for this!  :)

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2014, 10:10:25 PM »

This is how I read this, too

Heliopause

• Underling
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2014, 10:10:36 PM »
I'm floored! I let out a vocal OMG in the grocery store when I just saw this.  :o  I don't understand the technical stuff but the prospect of CoX returning makes me giddy.  Impressive work folks.

This news is gonna spread like wildfire I think.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/07/30/leaderboard-which-dead-mmo-is-your-favorite/

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2014, 10:10:49 PM »
I only have one request for anything that supposed to take over the current CoX. Do not include i13 pvp and keep the pvp mechanism like pre i13 please. A situation where you try to make everyone win will never work, because there will always be FoTM, atleast the FoTMs in pre i13 and gameplay was vastly more enjoyable.

Darkfaith

• Minion
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2014, 10:11:30 PM »
This is fantastic news. Even if it flops in the end, I'm happy to see the effort that's being made. Thank you to everyone working on this!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2014, 10:12:40 PM »
I only have one request for anything that supposed to take over the current CoX. Do not include i13 pvp and keep the pvp mechanism like pre i13 please. A situation where you try to make everyone win will never work, because there will always be FoTM, atleast the FoTMs in pre i13 and gameplay was vastly more enjoyable.

Large parts of I13 PVP are hardcoded and cannot be removed without the source code.

Chanaluss

• Underling
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2014, 10:13:03 PM »
keep up the good work, you've given me and my friends reason to hope again

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2014, 10:14:03 PM »
Not quite for #2. Under the plan, the CoT build would be licensed to Atlas Park Revived to make CoH 1.5.
Same engine, different games. May have a shared user database and crossover opportunities, but that it up to MWM and APR.

So Downix, I'll add to the slightly confused... under the plan (assuming all goes unchanged) WHO is releasing/running CoH 23?  The new IP holding company itself? A player to be designated later?
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"