Author Topic: Looking for some Humanform PB Required reading  (Read 5696 times)

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
Looking for some Humanform PB Required reading
« on: September 03, 2014, 08:21:15 AM »
Hiya everyone!

The Dark Armor thread and one of the threads discussing ongoing plans lead to me reading some of Dech's old guides (which you can find here) and it was a lot of fun. I really enjoy looking at this stuff even if I can't play, because it gets my mind in the zone I suppose.

There were lots of great guides that the wayback machine still has access to and I've looked around on the old forums... but one thing I just haven't been able to find that I was wondering if anyone had a good clue for.

Human Form peacebringer is pretty much the most fun I ever had playing CoH. Tank survivability, self res when you fall asleep playing for 32 hours on a DXP weekend to hit 50 for RP reasons (that was so fun even if the last five hours or so were done on auto pilot) and good damage and even some healing too...  I like the look of the Nova and the Dwarf, but I like keeping my costume and various other little details.

I can't seem to find any kind of similar writeup for that on a more recent issue. I can find some builds which is fun, and some old guides (i11, i7, that kind of old) but none of those really feel like the same thing.

Does anyone know anything like that, or feel like shootin around stuff they liked for that, disliked, more of the discussion type stuff than "here's something to throw into mids"?
Woo! - Argent Girl

Microcosm

• Lieutenant
Re: Looking for some Humanform PB Required reading
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:33:05 AM »
As far as I know no one wrote an updated guide after the last round of major changes, changes which completely altered the way pb's ran. There are still a couple kheld experts around here though that can weigh in with opinions and build help if you want. What specifically were you looking for?

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 05:48:13 AM »
ill be back on this later.. but for now.. here was my live final build before shutdown..

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.96
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Photon: Level 50 Natural Peacebringer
Primary Power Set: Luminous Blast
Secondary Power Set: Luminous Aura
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Concealment

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Glinting Eye -- Decim-Acc/Dmg(A), Decim-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Decim-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Decim-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Decim-Dmg/Rchg(37), HO:Nucle(39)
Level 1: Incandescence -- S'fstPrt-ResKB(A), Aegis-Psi/Status(11), ImpSkn-Status(43)
Level 2: Gleaming Blast -- Decim-Acc/Dmg(A), Decim-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Decim-Dmg/Rchg(5), Decim-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Decim-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), HO:Nucle(45)
Level 4: Gleaming Bolt -- Decim-Acc/Dmg(A), Decim-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Decim-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(31), Decim-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Decim-Dmg/Rchg(39), HO:Nucle(39)
Level 6: Radiant Strike -- C'ngImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), C'ngImp-Acc/Dmg(7), C'ngImp-Dmg/EndRdx(7), C'ngImp-Dmg/Rchg(15), C'ngImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17)
Level 8: Essence Boost -- Dct'dW-Heal/EndRdx(A), Dct'dW-EndRdx/Rchg(9), Dct'dW-Heal/Rchg(9), Dct'dW-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Dct'dW-Heal(13), Dct'dW-Rchg(36)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- Krma-ResKB(A)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(13), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 14: Super Speed -- Clrty-Stlth(A)
Level 16: Inner Light -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Incandescent Strike -- C'ngImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), C'ngImp-Dmg/EndRdx(19), C'ngImp-Dmg/Rchg(19), C'ngImp-Acc/Dmg(37), C'ngImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37)
Level 20: Proton Scatter -- Posi-Acc/Dmg(A), Posi-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), Posi-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Posi-Dmg/Rchg(46), Posi-Dmg/Rng(48), HO:Centri(50)
Level 22: Reform Essence -- Dct'dW-Heal/EndRdx(A), Dct'dW-EndRdx/Rchg(23), Dct'dW-Heal(23), Dct'dW-Heal/Rchg(25), Dct'dW-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(25), Dct'dW-Rchg(40)
Level 24: Conserve Energy -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 26: Solar Flare -- KheldiansG-Acc/Dmg(A), KheldiansG-Dmg/Rchg(27), KheldiansG-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), KheldiansG-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), KheldiansG-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), OvForce-Dam/KB(31)
Level 28: Quantum Acceleration -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Dawn Strike -- Oblit-Dmg(A), Oblit-Acc/Rchg(33), Oblit-Dmg/Rchg(33), Oblit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Oblit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), HO:Nucle(43)
Level 35: Photon Seekers -- ExRmnt-Acc/Dmg(A), ExRmnt-Acc/Rchg(36), ExRmnt-Dmg/EndRdx(36), ExRmnt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), ExRmnt-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(42), Dmg-I(42)
Level 38: Light Form -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42), RechRdx-I(43), ResDam-I(45), ResDam-I(48), ResDam-I(48)
Level 41: Grant Invisibility -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A)
Level 44: Invisibility -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Quantum Flight -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Restore Essence -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Cosmic Balance
Level 1: Energy Flight -- Flight-I(A)
Level 10: Combat Flight -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Numna-Heal(A), Mrcl-Heal(27), Numna-Regen/Rcvry+(50)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(46), P'Shift-EndMod(46), P'Shift-End%(50)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 50: Spiritual Core Paragon
Level 50: Void Total Core Judgement
Level 50: Preemptive Total Radial Conversion
Level 50: Polar Lights Total Core Improved Ally
Level 50: Barrier Partial Core Invocation
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment
------------
------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:
  • 9% DamageBuff(Smashing)
  • 9% DamageBuff(Lethal)
  • 9% DamageBuff(Fire)
  • 9% DamageBuff(Cold)
  • 9% DamageBuff(Energy)
  • 9% DamageBuff(Negative)
  • 9% DamageBuff(Toxic)
  • 9% DamageBuff(Psionic)
  • 6.75% Max End
  • 39% Enhancement(Accuracy)
  • 95% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
  • 8% Enhancement(Heal)
  • 5% SpeedFlying
  • 60.24 HP (5.62%) HitPoints
  • 5% JumpHeight
  • 5% SpeedJumping
  • Knockback (Mag -8)
  • Knockup (Mag -8)
  • MezResist(Confused) 10%
  • MezResist(Held) 10%
  • MezResist(Immobilized) 22.65%
  • MezResist(Sleep) 10%
  • MezResist(Stunned) 12.2%
  • MezResist(Terrorized) 14.4%
  • 2.5% (0.04 End/sec) Recovery
  • 22% (0.98 HP/sec) Regeneration
  • 1.58% Resistance(Smashing)
  • 1.58% Resistance(Lethal)
  • 4.1% Resistance(Fire)
  • 4.1% Resistance(Cold)
  • 2.52% Resistance(Toxic)
  • 5.52% Resistance(Psionic)
  • 5% SpeedRunning

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
As far as I know no one wrote an updated guide after the last round of major changes, changes which completely altered the way pb's ran. There are still a couple kheld experts around here though that can weigh in with opinions and build help if you want. What specifically were you looking for?

Yeah, it looks like the closest guide that was even going to mention alpha slots existing was in-progress at the time of shutdown :( Which feels sad to me because I know Warshades are amazing, but PBs are neat toooo.

Honestly not specifically looking for any one thing, which I know makes it a weird request. I just enjoy reading up on things, doing research and filing away bits of info and the like... and there are guides out there for every powerset and AT (I know I read one guide that just went through every AT and analyzed each powerset power by power, which was pretty fun. Would love to remember who did that...) but as said, updated Humanform PB seems not to be a thing.

It's a weird request, and I was ready to get "there's not really anything out there that is what you are asking for" which makes me wish I could do the random testing, experiment, playing around myself to make it but it's hard when all you have is mids'. On paper > reality, and even still some numbers end up not meaning what you hope they mean, etc.

Basically, more discussion than "Permalightform and laugh when it heals you and raises your endurance when the 'crash' hits."

I had that happen at least five times, giggled each time.

Level 1: Glinting Eye -- Decim-

Curious to hear any and all thoughts you have - but one thing that stands out right away is that pretty much no builds I ever see for Humanform use Glinting eye which felt a bit weird to me. I'm no Mids genius, but typically when power 1 is just ranged brawl, and power 2 isn't trash, power 2 is what you go with.

What's the thought process there? :)

Attack chain was one thing I was thinking about heavily - one of those things that I find hard to do without in game testing.

Also i can totally agree, Overwhelming force's KD proc was AMAZING on Solar Flare. I miss that move so much.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:45:05 PM »
I never made the grade with a PB and it will be one of the things I correct if the game comes back, but there are a couple things I think would be very useful.

I would think you could abuse the kin combat +rech procs to create a character with huge recharge that would actually require the conserve energy to be up for big fights. Doing this would allow you to spend some on ranged defenses which would come in handy for that Psi hole. or in getting some +Dam into your IO build.
I've done similar with a Rad/Nrg defender.

The aoe powers would be good places for Achilles' Heel procs too.

Question, is the duration time on Inner Light correct at 30 seconds?
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Microcosm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 12:17:23 AM »

Question, is the duration time on Inner Light correct at 30 seconds?

Yes, that is correct. However, the full buff only lasted for 10 seconds, with the following 20 seconds being a diminished buff.

Attack chain-wise, Radiant Strike was the anchor for the single target chain as it had the highest dpa. You would thenwant to follow with Gleaming Blast and something else until RStrike was recharged. Incandescent Strike looked tempting to many, but it had really poor dpa. Photon seekers could be sprinkled in for a large boost in burst damage, though it was only a minor boost in overall dps.

Solar Flare was the main AoE, and where you would probably want your -KB proc. Luminous Detonation was your next best, though you might want to change its kB to kD by jumping or hovering above your targets while firing it. Hovering slightly above a mob in AoE situations with Combat Flight was pretty helpful for this reason.

For overall build approach, +dmg wouldn't help a whole lot, because base damage was pretty low. Building more like a tank, capitalizing on and layering survivability, would net you suprisingly powerful character. However all attacks had inherent -def in them, so you could abuse the Achilles proc however you wanted.

Another thing to note, it sometimes was easier to achieve build goals for an all human by taking one of the forms as a set mule. Dwarf, in particular, could be useful for muling.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:52:16 AM »
 Glinting Eye is the second tier blast.. not the first.. however I do have the first in my blasts farther down. I didnt put in my first build.. but I put in my second.. I dont pay attention to DPS numbers.. I do think it makes a nice filler attack while I am waiting for something else to recharge and it also allowed me to slot Decimations to get more recharge.. and more recharge is always good.

I went a different route with my PB going for Perma Lightform and Perma Essence Boost. That allows me to run around with capped resistances and a nice Dull Pain close.. when LightForm crashes I just hit the self heal and keep right on going...

The -KB proc in Solar flare is awesome.. first SF is a decent damage power.. and it defenitely helps with damage mitigation.

I took Proton Scatter because I liked the way it looked and it does no KB.. but in all honesty the AOE's are rather lackluster on an AHPB.. Radiant Strike and Incandescent Strike and Gleaming Blast are your best Single Targets..

The Photon Seekers are not as dumb as they used to be.. they did tweak the AI.. Its still best to drop them point blank.. but at least now they will seek out an enemy and not just wander around aimlessly..

Dawn Strike is a nuke.. basic Nuke.. nothing fancy..

An AHPB will start to steam roll in teams when its damage, resistances are being boosted.. I had loads of fun with mine.. in the end it was one of my most powerful characters..

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 02:21:20 AM »
. . though you might want to change its kB to kD by jumping or hovering above your targets while firing it. Hovering slightly above a mob in AoE situations with Combat Flight was pretty helpful for this reason.

Honestly, this detail is fundamental in playing a PB properly. The KB discussion in the hail mary section kinda hurt my brain because all I wanted to ask was why no one using Energy Blast was suggesting Hover for positioning? The difference there is being the person with all knockdowns making enemies struggle to get up or flinging them across the map.

That said, thanks, excellent food for thought :)

The Photon Seekers are not as dumb as they used to be.. they did tweak the AI.. Its still best to drop them point blank.. but at least now they will seek out an enemy and not just wander around aimlessly..

Worst thing ever with this was fighting Diabolique in the Portal Co arc. She managed to fly under a ramp, and my little lights could not find her, just hung out wasting time. Took forever for me to find a way to squeeze just so they could hit.

Perma essence boost is great for that tank HP, especially when coupled with lightform you only need to worry much about Psionic damage which is really not too bad most of the time. With notable exceptions.

Thank you very much for your thoughts, I appreciate it :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 02:27:17 AM »
 I think many times people worry about Psi damage a bit much.. I have tanked several Psi AV's on my Inv Tank.. why.. Perma Dull Pain.. sure i take damage.. but I dont take enough before a massive heal kicks back in again..

Essence Boost is so key.. i think people forget that it is a heal AND a massive HP boost as well.. And a PB has a self heal as well. Reform Essence heals half of my HP and is up every 15 seconds.. thats not going to be easy to kill.. and you can throw in some Psi resistance IO's for a little help

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 04:00:45 AM »
It just hit me why I never finished a PB or Warshade. When I look at a mids build, there doesn't seem to be an apparent aspect to exploit.

Each offer several different aspects that could be exploited. It's a "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" kind of thing.

that being said, here's my attempt at a Human form PB.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.96
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Peacebringer
Primary Power Set: Luminous Blast
Secondary Power Set: Luminous Aura
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Glinting Eye -- Thundr-Acc/Dmg(A), Thundr-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Thundr-Dmg/Rchg(43), Thundr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Thundr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), Thundr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 1: Incandescence -- S'fstPrt-ResDam/Def+(A)
Level 2: Gleaming Blast -- Thundr-Acc/Dmg(A), Thundr-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Thundr-Dmg/Rchg(40), Thundr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Thundr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), Thundr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 4: Essence Boost -- Numna-Heal/Rchg(A), Numna-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Numna-Heal(5), Mrcl-Heal/Rchg(7), Mrcl-EndRdx/Rchg(7), Mrcl-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 6: Radiant Strike -- Mako-Acc/Dmg(A), Mako-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Mako-Dmg/Rchg(15), Mako-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(15), Mako-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), Mako-Dam%(17)
Level 8: Shining Shield -- RctvArm-ResDam(A), RctvArm-ResDam/EndRdx(25), RctvArm-ResDam/Rchg(46)
Level 10: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(11)
Level 12: Inner Light -- AdjTgt-Rchg(A), AdjTgt-ToHit/Rchg(13)
Level 14: Thermal Shield -- RctvArm-ResDam(A), RctvArm-ResDam/EndRdx(50), RctvArm-ResDam/Rchg(50)
Level 16: Quantum Shield -- RctvArm-ResDam(A), RctvArm-ResDam/EndRdx(48), RctvArm-ResDam/Rchg(50)
Level 18: Incandescent Strike -- Mako-Acc/Dmg(A), Mako-Dmg/EndRdx(19), Mako-Dmg/Rchg(19), Mako-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(25), Mako-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), Mako-Dam%(31)
Level 20: Pulsar -- Stpfy-Acc/Rchg(A), Stpfy-EndRdx/Stun(21), Stpfy-Acc/Stun/Rchg(21)
Level 22: Reform Essence -- Numna-Heal(A), Numna-Heal/Rchg(23), Numna-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 24: Conserve Energy -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 26: Solar Flare -- OvForce-Dam/KB(A), OvForce-Acc/Dmg(27), OvForce-Acc/Dmg/End(27), OvForce-Dmg/End/Rech(29), OvForce-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(29), FrcFbk-Rechg%(31)
Level 28: Quantum Flight -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 30: Proton Scatter -- Posi-Acc/Dmg(A), Posi-Dmg/EndRdx(34), Posi-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), Posi-Dmg/Rng(39), Posi-Dam%(39)
Level 32: Dawn Strike -- C'ngBlow-Acc/Dmg(A), C'ngBlow-Dmg/EndRdx(33), C'ngBlow-Dmg/Rchg(33), Erad-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Erad-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Erad-%Dam(34)
Level 35: Photon Seekers -- SKheldiansG-Acc/Dmg(A), SKheldiansG-Dmg/Rchg(36), SKheldiansG-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SKheldiansG-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SKheldiansG-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), FrcFbk-Rechg%(37)
Level 38: Light Form -- Efficacy-EndMod/Rchg(A), Efficacy-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(39)
Level 41: Combat Jumping -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A)
Level 44: Luminous Detonation -- Posi-Acc/Dmg(A), Posi-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Posi-Dmg/Rchg(45), Posi-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), Posi-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Maneuvers -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A), LkGmblr-Def(48), LkGmblr-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 49: Restore Essence -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Cosmic Balance
Level 1: Energy Flight -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 10: Combat Flight -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A), Zephyr-Travel/EndRdx(11), Zephyr-Travel(13)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Numna-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrcl-Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- Efficacy-EndMod(A), Efficacy-EndMod/Acc(3)
------------
------------

Code: [Select]
| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1487;658;1316;HEX;|
|78DA6594CB6F125114C6EF0C33A55010680BB4B680505AA0140AD1BD519BD618541|
|2D46D8376782805C2C3B85363DCA9F11FD0FAD8BBF1B9F2F567A8F1B117AC89AF68|
|B41EE67C223A9399FC66BE7BCE37E7DC3B770E9E59B2DD5939BF5B48A3FB2AF9667|
|335ABE54F68C71BE56A516B980FE55BED46BE227A8799AED9C1D1D5C38582566D96|
|4F6BC94C7BBD5CADB59BAB7BC9A315FE276A493344ED215361CDD66A9564AEAE696|
|B36FD36A3E5EB94E2F8F3B0A6359AA572DDAE3F2F978BA5168D8A092A2342D77755|
|E0D852C535425A11B1EBCCF90DF006789399B8C5ECF472253D57082FDDF814F1438|
|5447E12FC22F08BC02F02BF18FC62F0FB40B926F6534D3949D79423E051E6D00A31|
|425C660EEF67FEA45C15EF550BEC375C646E2B8165A6F324788AD9A54433BF57368|
|7D86FC2CF4C0498215A370BC7489638E759419A393182B191DBB2AED936989B3466|
|87B71DDE6978A7E1FD91621C88712066F1BF1869480817FA73A1BF51F4378AFE26D|
|09F1FFDF9D19F4CB9639C2B8F9DE5791C3F075E607EA21ADC887163AE3D58030FD6|
|E033C578394678D1BB42DE93A86BF29D49D7B6BF025F33A7DF806F99FE8B3C375FC|
|86F0A7E5341F6FB459A8F35C57797B5E03D66F82173EE01F888A9520D01D410A8B0|
|B6631DAC821D59FF3E83EFC12E73887243C80D3DE6FA669E804FC167CCF07310F57|
|FA35A67B1EEB397599BBBC2F4D0F712C5DE88BA79FE04BD2B8EDEE2E86D01BD2DDC|
|07D16302BDB9C827896F23099FC571D0C9FC4A75A4308F29ACCBB4D2DFD774D221F|
|CBA62EA295B51C3E8BC41491994B441D969507619948C41C92AFD7F849074C5E2E4|
|CA7A0139A5BFD3640B3AB6BEC4AE7AC1EC58C901B32BCDE0EFF15793A4639C271FE|
|0DDD31D8C8F72FCE660FC25F695AF327F03204AEDB6|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 12:22:39 PM »
 Pulsar is an awful immensely skippable power unless you really really need the ability to stun minions..

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 01:01:21 PM »
Pulsar is an awful immensely skippable power unless you really really need the ability to stun minions..

I usually agree with your views. For instance, I like your thoughts on the Psi hole. It usually isn't a big deal, but it's a strong enough argument (in my mind) to build some ranged defense into a PB.

Here's my thoughts for inclusion of Pulsar. If you have a character as strong as a PB, you will want to be in the middle of the pack.

Say there are 10 baddies surrounding you. There will be more than likely a boss and a couple of lts and the rest minions. One Pulsar and you neuter the minions. That is probably somewhere near 50% of your incoming damage.

I would envision the chain as Luminous Det/moving in with Proton Scatter/Solar Flare/Pulsar (if still minions)/finish off the boss and lts.

Photon Seekers and Nuke just aren't up often enough for my taste.

BTW, I'm not really happy with that build. It's just a starting point to me. And as I said, I've not played a PB to high level.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 09:44:21 PM »
Pulsar is one of those abilities that I personally like the look of, and appreciate that damage mitigation. If it wasn't visually enjoyable, I'd probably skip it, but it feels very satisfying to use and is a good way to start off a fight.

Definitely not a move I'd take instead of a must-have, but I definitely take it over the nuke. A PBaOE KB by itslef isn't bad with a bit of flight, but the animation is too long, it's on cooldown for too long, and the crash is not worth it. Especially if you happen to flub the timing with the crash of Light Form - which shouldn't happen anyway, and a blue or two would fix it... but it still just seems like something I'd personally rather avoid.

I know plenty of people who got good use out of their nukes, I just tend to remember how it felt on my first blaster and would rather skip. Incarnate's Judgement feels good enough for me!
Woo! - Argent Girl

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 10:08:11 PM »
Pulsar is one of those abilities that I personally like the look of, and appreciate that damage mitigation. If it wasn't visually enjoyable, I'd probably skip it, but it feels very satisfying to use and is a good way to start off a fight.

Definitely not a move I'd take instead of a must-have, but I definitely take it over the nuke. A PBaOE KB by itslef isn't bad with a bit of flight, but the animation is too long, it's on cooldown for too long, and the crash is not worth it. Especially if you happen to flub the timing with the crash of Light Form - which shouldn't happen anyway, and a blue or two would fix it... but it still just seems like something I'd personally rather avoid.

I know plenty of people who got good use out of their nukes, I just tend to remember how it felt on my first blaster and would rather skip. Incarnate's Judgement feels good enough for me!

Generally, I avoided crash nukes too. Then again, my preference of playing defenders meant that the crash was never a wanted thing if you were on a team and actively defending.

My exception was the Dark Blast nuke. I could easily justify using it considering it's secondary effect was a -50% tohit.

With this build, I thought that the advantage of the pets and very nice pbaoe foot stomp type power made it a good choice.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 02:05:52 AM »
I usually agree with your views. For instance, I like your thoughts on the Psi hole. It usually isn't a big deal, but it's a strong enough argument (in my mind) to build some ranged defense into a PB.

Here's my thoughts for inclusion of Pulsar. If you have a character as strong as a PB, you will want to be in the middle of the pack.

Say there are 10 baddies surrounding you. There will be more than likely a boss and a couple of lts and the rest minions. One Pulsar and you neuter the minions. That is probably somewhere near 50% of your incoming damage.

I would envision the chain as Luminous Det/moving in with Proton Scatter/Solar Flare/Pulsar (if still minions)/finish off the boss and lts.

Photon Seekers and Nuke just aren't up often enough for my taste.

BTW, I'm not really happy with that build. It's just a starting point to me. And as I said, I've not played a PB to high level.

Like I said.. unless you really really need to stun minions.. however from my perspective a Solar Flare that recharges every 5 seconds and knocks foes down constantly is just as effective as Pulsar.. possibly even more so because it does damage..

My AHPB had max resistance because of Perma Lightform.. he wasnt overly concerned with minions taking him down.. If they had ever added a second -KB proc (and there were rumors was going to be one) I would have taken Luminous Detonation.

Now as far as looks.. Pulsar was one cool looking power.. I had it for a long time.. if it was Mag 3 I would have kept it..

Microcosm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 05:01:22 AM »

Now as far as looks.. Pulsar was one cool looking power.. I had it for a long time.. if it was Mag 3 I would have kept it..

That's a good point about it being less than mag 3, and unlike the warshade mez it has no other power to stack with making it less useful. Also if you build right in terms of survival, pulsar isn't going to be needed in any situation, not to mention you have to sit there soaking up minion damage for its painfully long animation when you could just kill them instead. If you like it though, by all means take it. There is no hard and fast rule "take this but you can't have that."

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 12:30:10 PM »
Like I said.. unless you really really need to stun minions.. however from my perspective a Solar Flare that recharges every 5 seconds and knocks foes down constantly is just as effective as Pulsar.. possibly even more so because it does damage..

My AHPB had max resistance because of Perma Lightform.. he wasnt overly concerned with minions taking him down.. If they had ever added a second -KB proc (and there were rumors was going to be one) I would have taken Luminous Detonation.

Like I said, your instincts on this are going to be better than mine since you've played one.

I presume it's still a decent option while leveling though.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 01:06:21 AM »
 Sure. take it early on and respec out later if you choose.. always an option.. YMMV