Author Topic: New efforts! -- metadiscussion  (Read 82662 times)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts! -- metadiscussion
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2014, 04:30:03 PM »
Enthusiasm duly tempered.  Thanks for the lucid and realistic update, Tony.  If we happen to get knocked down again on Monday I may delay popping another Awaken for a little while, since I've probably let myself get a bit too optimistic about the possibilities despite knowing better.

To put it differently, I'll be bummed if Monday is a "Sorry, no go" message, but there are people that the past few days' discussion could have set up to kind of be crushed by anything other than the return of the game.  There's still one of my CoH friends I haven't talked with about this at all, just because I didn't want to raise her hopes.  And I'm a bit worried that she may be on the "Survivors" groups.

This. +1.

I feel everyone is acting like TonyV and IronWolf are the bad guys for being level headed and telling it like it is.

No matter what people think Robert is not a member of the team and I am positive he was not picked as the official spokesperson because they would just let Ironwolf do that.  No I am guessing that these new developers have been backed into a corner by Robert and other people who just HAVE to have information even though that information makes no difference at this point if the game will or wont be bought.

The game IS NOT back yet.
The game MAY NOT come back.
And like TonyV has said countless times this is second hand information, people are putting their hope into Robert because he got overly excited and claimed he knew for sure the game was coming back.  But he doesn't.  And neither does anyone else.  Not even the new devs or NCSoft

So really this negative attitude towards TonyV and IronWolf I have been seeing is absurd.  People are so quick to forgot the people who have been fighting for them this whole because they truth the speak goes against what people want to hear.  They would rather hear the false assumptions of a man who clearly overstepped his boundary which is "YA FOR SURE DUDE THE GAME IS COMING BACK LIKE 3 DAYS FROM NOW, QUICK EVERYONE CELEBRATE AND ACT LIKE ITS A DONE DEAL" instead of the leveled headed truth that TonyV and IW have been speaking.

Sorry if it sounds snappy, but why on earth would people be getting mad at the people who are saying "Hey cool you're horses this isn't a done deal yet" especially when one of those people is the reason we are all here and have a place to come together.

Also the post I quoted.  People are going to be so hurt if the game doesn't go through.  Because some people who couldn't keep their pants on just had to get everyone's hopes up in an unreasonable fashion.  Beyond just the "There are talks about the game." Which should be more then enough hope for people considering just 7 months ago the game was as dead as a doorknob.

To quote Futurama.  "Look do you want false hope or not?"  Fry responds "Only if you don't have real hope!"

And this isn't directed any one in particular in this post or even these forums.  Just a response to many things I have been seeing around some of the CoH social media sites.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »
I know that we all don't know everything that has been going on. I can tell you however Robert has been talking to the team for a long time. He was not 100% sure they were the people making the effort but he had a VERY strong guess.

Now he had the permisson from the team to make his Facebook post and he is in fact talking to the team as I type this.

This came out different from what I planned - but it wasn't my place to plan it. Once word is out all this will be water under the bridge and now Robert got to wear my shoes for a day and he understands how strongly our players love this game. The more fierce the attack - the more love for the game. I am asking that you not pillory Robert as he is doing his best as I was distracted these past few weeks and likely should have been more on top of things.

I just have to ask we not drive wedges into the very community we have fought to hold together.

but but but...Ive got this stake and all the firewood and Ive ordered the refreshments......what do I do with it now Mr Smarty Pants?????

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2014, 05:14:01 PM »
War Witch expressly stated in a post Black Friday Coffee Talk that, if they had some internal office confusion on continuity or some forgotten detail relevant to something they were working on, Paragon Wiki was where they went to resolve it. I don't think that anyone could dispute that, outside of Cryptic/Paragon, no one knows more about the game, be it the play of the game or its inner workings, than the good people of Titan. It's most likely less beta testing and more tech support. I would be shocked and disappointed if, by the time the game is back up, no member of Titan was involved in some aspect of the recovery.

I completely agree with this. (and that's about the shortest post I've ever made!)
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2014, 05:47:02 PM »
I feel everyone is acting like TonyV and IronWolf are the bad guys for being level headed and telling it like it is.
I know this isn't about what I said (else you wouldn't have +1'd me), but I want to make it very clear that the BEST thing about this community is that we have folks like Tony and Wolf who keep us hopeful but also keep us realistic.  As long as we have hopeful realism working for us, I don't see a way our City won't eventually come back.  It may not happen based on an announcement Monday, and it may not happen based on the work of the current Hail Mary team, but I have full faith that it will eventually happen.

And it will specifically be BECAUSE OF people like TonyV and Ironwolf.

And, you know - everyone else who refuses to give up. 

/em copies and pastes the list of users logged into cohtitan.com in the past 24 hours

/em apologizes for borking teh forum

Taliseian

• Minion
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2014, 05:58:17 PM »
I'm reminded of an episode of Star Trek TOS, "Return To Tomorrow"

The Enterprise is contacted by three members of a long dead race who preserved their mental essence in orbs.  They asked the crew to borrow their bodies to build new ones, but at first were reluctant.

Their leader, Sargon, say something that is very apt for right now...

"We have waited ten thousand years, we can wait a few hours more..."

Patience people...regardless of good news or bad, something will be revealed soon...

T

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2014, 06:00:42 PM »
Question:  I've kept reading that the Sentinel backup files are apparently buggy or otherwise incomplete, what was the problem with them that they couldn't be used to restore characters if needed?
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Surelle

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2014, 06:10:54 PM »
Question:  I've kept reading that the Sentinel backup files are apparently buggy or otherwise incomplete, what was the problem with them that they couldn't be used to restore characters if needed?

Let's not put the cart before the horse.  NCSoft has not sold CoH.  And even if they ever do, they may dredge up old character information or they may not.  There are tons of maybes, but we are missing the One Yes to Rule Them All that we need first.   :P

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2014, 06:15:38 PM »
Let's not put the cart before the horse.  NCSoft has not sold CoH.  And even if they ever do, they may dredge up old character information or they may not.  There are tons of maybes, but we are missing the One Yes to Rule Them All that we need first.   :P

yeah, I understand that. I'm just asking what the problem with the files are.
In fearful COH-less days

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2014, 07:04:19 PM »

Sihada

• Minion
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2014, 08:40:49 PM »
For all we know, COH may simply be licensing the IP, and not turning over code/data, etc.

Let's all just breathe.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2014, 09:09:01 PM »
For all we know, COH may simply be licensing the IP, and not turning over code/data, etc.

Let's all just breathe.

Believe me, breathing isn't a problem. I'm only seeking clarification about the problems with the sentinel files.
In fearful COH-less days

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2014, 09:10:34 PM »
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9675.msg146665/topicseen.html#msg146665

Thanks Codewalker,  so mainly costume pieces, possibly badges and incarnate powers.

Costumes can be repaired in the tailor, especially if one has save files for their costumes on hand. 
Badges and incarnate powers.....well either regain them the hard way or via ticket.

Of course we'll have to see what happens if anything does happen.

Thanks again.
In fearful COH-less days

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2014, 10:33:27 PM »
I know this isn't about what I said (else you wouldn't have +1'd me), but I want to make it very clear that the BEST thing about this community is that we have folks like Tony and Wolf who keep us hopeful but also keep us realistic.  As long as we have hopeful realism working for us, I don't see a way our City won't eventually come back.  It may not happen based on an announcement Monday, and it may not happen based on the work of the current Hail Mary team, but I have full faith that it will eventually happen.

Ya it wasn't directed at you or anyone in general really.  I quoted you because I thought what you said hit the nail on the head so perfectly.  I have feeling a lot of people won't be popping another wakie if this doesn't go through.  As you so elegantly put:)

And that worries me because if this doesn't go through the first thing we need to do is start over again.  I am also worried a lot of people will turn to Ironwolf and say "You did this!" when it wasn't anyone but their own imagination and the impatience of a very small amount of people.

People were quick to turn on Rae in no time I feel like.  Don't want to see the same happen to Ironwolf or anyone else in this community.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:39:29 PM by Taceus Jiwede »

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2014, 10:44:38 PM »

Let's all just breathe.

That would be one of the worst things that could happen.  With the IP and the game code separated, there'd be no legal way to ever play CoH again.  (Which is even a step down from what we have now, which is hope that the game will be brought back)

Surelle

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2014, 12:12:25 AM »
Ya it wasn't directed at you or anyone in general really.  I quoted you because I thought what you said hit the nail on the head so perfectly.  I have feeling a lot of people won't be popping another wakie if this doesn't go through.  As you so elegantly put:)

And that worries me because if this doesn't go through the first thing we need to do is start over again.  I am also worried a lot of people will turn to Ironwolf and say "You did this!" when it wasn't anyone but their own imagination and the impatience of a very small amount of people.

People were quick to turn on Rae in no time I feel like.  Don't want to see the same happen to Ironwolf or anyone else in this community.

Yes, I wasn't on the forums that often by that point but I do remember some people getting angry at Rae over something ridiculous and her bailing off the forums after that.  I don't blame her-- or Mercedes.  I think it was the volume of stress from some forumites that made them both leave.  Someone should tell Mercedes if CoH comes back, though; I know she'd play again if it ever went back up (although by that point there will likely be big press announcements by NCSoft she'd see eventually anyway).

SteveTheDwarf

• Minion
  • For the little people!
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2014, 12:23:04 AM »
Thank you again, Tony and Ironwolf, for clearing stuff up. Good, bad, or just a name, I eagerly await the news.
Steve the Dwarf 
Lvl 50 Invulnerablity / Energy Melee / Fire Mastery Tank
Pinnacle server

Pinnbadges will always be the greatest channel ever.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2014, 01:43:17 AM »
Costumes can be repaired in the tailor, especially if one has save files for their costumes on hand. 
Badges and incarnate powers.....well either regain them the hard way or via ticket.

It's much more subtle and insidious than that.

The character would be broken, so if you had Incarnate stuff partially unlocked you'd be unable to do it the hard way. You'd have no record of running the unlock arc, so you'd have to run it again, but running it again would likely not fix the situation because you already have the badge, and nothing happens when you finish the arc.

Ouroboros portals are in a similar boat, because Sentinel didn't export temp powers I don't think. But the portal is granted once at the moment you earn the Entrusted with the Secret badge, and you can't earn it again if you already have the badge...

Unlockable contacts you have the badge for but not the requisite internal token are yet another issue.

None of that is something any old GM could fix; it would take senior developer-level surgery on the character data. I really doubt anyone is going to want to open the door to tickets like that coming from every single player.

Like I said before, Sentinel+ exports were "best effort" and never intended to be used with a commercial relaunch. We considered that the least likely scenario in which they would be needed. The best you can hope for with that is probably extracting the costume and maybe a mids build in order to know what to slot.

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2014, 01:45:11 AM »
Thanks Ironwolf and Tony. As always, I'm happy to see posts and news from both of you! Thanks for eternally firing that torch!
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2014, 02:17:43 AM »
 I dont want this question to be misunderstoof.. but why announce who they are if they havent reached a conclusion point (either yay or nay)..  I mean how does that help the community and/or the negotiation?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2014, 02:23:24 AM »
Doesn't really, IMO. It'll just replace one breed of naysayer with another.