Author Topic: Ridiculous facts about your time at CoH  (Read 22349 times)

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
Re: Ridiculous facts about your time at CoH
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2014, 05:16:03 AM »
I remember one time I was training at Ms. Liberty when all of a sudden a *horde* of civilians (dozens and dozens) came running up and swarming all over her.  They wouldn't say anything, they just kept trying to climb all over her.  All the other players and I were confused, what kind of bug could do this?

Then I looked up to see the L50 blaster hovering about 30 ft up.

Apparently he had killed all the Hellion mobs around Atlas Square but stayed far enough up that they never had a chance to thank him (and then find a door to zone out).  And they kept following him so long as he stayed high enough and moved slow enough.

Same happened to me on Infinity. Took me about 5 minutes to think to look up. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2014, 01:20:30 PM »
I never fully understood the completely awsomeness of this game until it was closed down. I think it has to do with my maturity as a person and not related directly to the game :)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2014, 03:20:24 PM »
Same happened to me on Infinity. Took me about 5 minutes to think to look up. :)

I also saw that on more then one occasion - first time I was "what the heck?"

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2014, 03:23:36 PM »
I had a kinetics controller.

I was not 50 yet but pretty high. I used to fly around in Atlas or some other low zones and buff and heal lowbies.

One guy I was using the power steal and the heal buffs on his mobs to help him out and he starts broadcasting to me "Stop kill stealing!"

I was going to explain to him but I figured if he couldn't tell the difference what was the point.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »

I agree it was hilarious, I can neither confirm or deny my involvement in this :P I wasn't big on farming early on in my CoH career so I don't think I personally did this to anyone, one of my friends tp'd me to the top of the hospital there though and trying to get back to the boat was a b. By the time I got into actual farming the aggro cap was in place. I spent lots of time messing around, whether it be with costumes or just running around looking for random people to interact with.

My worst trolling move ever was getting under the map in sirens call then tp foe someone down and watch them fall XD if you only had ss or sj there was no way for you to get out and they would have to wait for a gm :P one gm got pretty mad they had to keep coming back and I'm lucky there were like ten other people under the map with me, otherwise he probably would have just banned me >.> I stopped after that needless to say...

Talking about TPIng someone we had a tank go afk in a mission back in the early days (I was running /sr and had no agro aura)  so we got tired of waiting someone had recall friend and we just ported him into the mobs so they would agro around him and nuked the crap out of the mobs. He was basically just a agro totem for us.

Fun stuff

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2014, 08:18:12 PM »
I use to remember civilians walking on 'air' and then through walls. Back when the game was new.
Especially inside the Portal building in Founders Falls, I think.... ;)

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2014, 01:38:53 AM »
I use to remember civilians walking on 'air' and then through walls. Back when the game was new.
Especially inside the Portal building in Founders Falls, I think.... ;)

Yeah, I remember civilians in Founders Falls that thought there was a bridge where no bridge existed, so they climbed into the air and walked 12 feet off the ground.

As for the guys in Portal Corp, I'm pretty sure they walked through walls right to the end of the game.

Didn't the Portal technicians have some buddies in the tech contact office under City Hall?

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2014, 01:52:37 AM »
Two stories.

One, I was leveling a new character with two friends... very late at night. I wanna say 3-5am or so. And I'm new back to the game around i23 or i22, after having left around the second month after Going Rogue for personal reasons.

We decide, hey, lets sewer sweep! It'd been forever since anyone we knew had done it, and DFB made it pretty irrelevant but it was a flashback. We'd all leveled a toon or two that way, so it seemed fun! So we're down there... and all of a sudden... A RIKTI?! I freak out, try to target it, run away, I forget now, then it goes away, we keep fighting. A bit later, an IDF trooper?! This happened many times before I found out there were now costume powers to allow you to achieve such tasks.

But they kept it up, messing with my head for nearly 15 minutes.

Then one time I was exploring on my redside toon and this happened.

I cannot tell you how, or why, only that I did not alter this screenshot in any way or cause it to happen by luring enemies to this location.

edit:

Yeah, I remember civilians in Founders Falls that thought there was a bridge where no bridge existed, so they climbed into the air and walked 12 feet off the ground.

As for the guys in Portal Corp, I'm pretty sure they walked through walls right to the end of the game.

Didn't the Portal technicians have some buddies in the tech contact office under City Hall?

This reminds me of all of those missions where you would save someone... and they would RUN full speed back into the mission proper from the entrance. That happened right up to the end.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:58:15 AM by Kistulot »
Woo! - Argent Girl

Kurrent

• Minion
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2014, 04:56:21 AM »
I'd have moments when I would just fly down the waterfront streets of IP with my main, using Power Thrust to see how far I could knock the Council/5th into the water.  It was a curiously fun game to play, making the Nazis go for a swim.

impiousimp

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2014, 05:02:53 AM »
I made a slenderman puppet muse and just made it stand in random places while I was AFK.

Other than that I just kind of played it straight.  Between CO and COX though I've developed a pretty solid roster of comic characters.

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2014, 06:06:01 AM »
This is something that I do while playing CoH now (Icon), and it is completely ridiculous, but I can't help it. Every single time I have it up for my son to play, I MUST click on the store button before I close Icon just to see what will happen.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2014, 10:05:29 AM »
This is something that I do while playing CoH now (Icon), and it is completely ridiculous, but I can't help it. Every single time I have it up for my son to play, I MUST click on the store button before I close Icon just to see what will happen.

This reminds me of days they had server maintenance go over the alotted time. I would literally sit there clicking log in every couple minutes alt+tabbing in and out constantly. Could I have refreshed the server status page, easily, but the anticipation of what would happen is half the fun.

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2014, 07:23:49 PM »
I remember one time, while my friend was testing COV out on it sbeta , that he did something strange in Mercy Island. The screen flashed and he was falling for about 15 seconds, when he was in a player empty Atlas Park. He was attacked by Hellions and killed them.. He was also silly enough to go nead a PPD drone and got zapped right back to Mercy Island medical bay

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2014, 05:10:42 PM »
I replaced the really loud sound FX in the Portal Corp rooms with one of my favorite songs.   Every time I would walk into one of those rooms, it would start to play.   Backfired though...because I got sick of the song pretty quickly.   Ended up just replacing it with silence.

Made a character with the worst costume I could think of (complete with a story to explain it) and entered costume contests all the time.  I would stand there bragging about how I could not possibly lose.

Did not once get a comment from anyone....darn it.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2014, 05:52:42 AM »
Two stories.
Then one time I was exploring on my redside toon and this happened.
I cannot tell you how, or why, only that I did not alter this screenshot in any way or cause it to happen by luring enemies to this location.

Dumpster image reminds me of the movie 'Better off Dead', perhaps alter it to say: 'Someone threw away a perfectly good white chick.'  :roll:

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2014, 08:35:20 PM »
I do remember taking a squishy character or two into a Posi TF only to have the team dissolve after a mish leaving only me on the team. I finished the TF solo and once it took me over 10 hrs. I don't remember the char but I was level 12 and the first solo mission took me like 2 or 3 hrs of trying new strategies.
Something like this was my first *whoa* moment in CoH, when my Ill/Kin Controller was on a Manticore TF, and the team leader got bent out of shape about two of the team members stealthing the third mission (the first one that wasn't 'defeat all') when he wanted to fight through, and ragequit... followed by his two friends... and a cascade of quits that left me solo on the team. And I decided that I'd seen all these stories about how Ill/Kin was such a hot powerset combo, and the worst thing that would happen was that I would faceplant against Hopkins in the last mission, so I kept going. And managed to barely survive defeating Hopkins to complete the TF. It gave me a new respect for the capabilities of that particular combination.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »
Something like this was my first *whoa* moment in CoH, when my Ill/Kin Controller was on a Manticore TF, and the team leader got bent out of shape about two of the team members stealthing the third mission (the first one that wasn't 'defeat all') when he wanted to fight through, and ragequit... followed by his two friends... and a cascade of quits that left me solo on the team. And I decided that I'd seen all these stories about how Ill/Kin was such a hot powerset combo, and the worst thing that would happen was that I would faceplant against Hopkins in the last mission, so I kept going. And managed to barely survive defeating Hopkins to complete the TF. It gave me a new respect for the capabilities of that particular combination.

Ill/kin was an awesome combo.

I remember the char I was using now. it was a warshade. What finally worked was picking up starless step and using it to tp the Vahz one by one until there were few enough left for me to take care of them.
Until then, they were just crushing the squid. And I didn't have enough powers outside of squid form to do any damage.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2014, 12:56:31 AM »
My forum avatar was from a real mission map floor.

There weren't even any enemies to fight.  :P
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2014, 01:48:14 AM »
Farming for a Healing badge for months if not years only to have it switched to an easier form ...

Hoarding respecs, temp powers, super inspirations and costume tokens that I never got to use.

Hoarding Purple, PVP and Mito enchancements I never got around for using.

All the toons I moved ($$$) to other servers only to be museum pieces I never touched again.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:38:05 AM by Rejolt »
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2014, 03:00:37 AM »
At least with my main, I always had to log out perched on a building. Also once I discovered Ninja Run, I would use it as my primary travel power. However, I didn't just run down the street. I slotted that sucker full of speed and jump enhancements, and bounced from building to building in any way I could. I'd use the fire escapes and edges of the windows to jump up the side of a building (as opposed to just flying up), or would run along the top the war walls. My route through Peregrine involved running along the power lines, bouncing between a couple buildings, and kicking snipers off the rooftops until I reached Portal or the boat. I pretty much went out of my way to NOT take the fastest/easiest route from Point A to Point B. It was fun though.