Author Topic: City of Heroes: The Unknown Game  (Read 2205 times)

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
City of Heroes: The Unknown Game
« on: July 30, 2014, 07:53:42 PM »
This post is meant to be more of a rant and debate topic so I might get a bit carried away.

However, a few days ago I watched WatchMojo's Top 10 MMORPG's (here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU5uL4hC6no) and I agree with most of the list, except for one: City of Heroes was not on the list. Not even an Honorable Mention. Other Top 10 MMORPG's did not even mention City of Heroes

This grinds my gears, considering how City of Heroes had a large fanbase and was quite possibly one of the best MMO's (in my own opinion) ever made. It was fun to play, casual gamers and hardcore gamers could play it without much confusion, the community was absolutely amazing, and (of course) you could make millions of unique costumes because simply of the costume creator.

But I think that City of Heroes wasn't recognized because the fan base was nothing compared to what DCUO now has (and had before the game was even announced), which is probably one of the reasons why DCUO was an honorable mention at all.

WatchMojo also said that they were judging their list was by quality of play and replay value. With ten times more powers, costume ideas, and ways to replay, I think their list was absolute sh*t and should not have been like that.

Why do you think City of Heroes was not a Top 10 on a list you watched? Leave your ideas and thoughts down below

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
Re: City of Heroes: The Unknown Game
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 08:20:53 PM »
Yeah the lack of attention City of Heroes has gotten has always been rather confusing to me as well, it predates world of Warcraft, doesn't follow the generic auto attack/every character looks similar formula a lot of mmo's do, and it has a sizable and dedicated fan-base, and yet nearly no-one outside its fan-base mentions it. I really wish I could come up with some idea as to why its so ignored but quite frankly i have no idea!  :o

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 11:46:32 AM »
When you look through the history of MMOs City of Heroes was pretty much the leader in a huge amount of features that are in games nowadays (lets just say badges were around before achievements). No game has ever had such great teaming features (auto mentoring/sidekicking). It really was years ahead of its time in so many ways.

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »
Coh was the best MMO and u wont find the magic in other mmo's that coh had.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 01:54:54 AM »
because people who write "bestest MMO's EVAR ZOMG!!!!" lists are all playing for the title of "biggest idiot grinder" and forget that it used to be called MMORPG for a reason. they've let the warcrack addiction blind them to what good games acually look like.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:44:48 AM »
I don't think CoH was advertised well. Not that they haven't tried.
I bought their comic books.
DC comics have the advantage of their long history.

CoH was a new kid on the block. The heroes were fresh. It's a fickle industry.
what catches on and what doesn't always amazes me.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 10:20:04 AM »
How about poor quality of the person making the list?

Whenever you see a list of this type you just know its going to be a waste of time. I'd chalk it up to its the internets and go back to whatever you were doing.

Q: Would I still think this was a garbage list if CoH was on the list?
A: Yes

Reaper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 04:23:32 PM »
because people who write "bestest MMO's EVAR ZOMG!!!!" lists are all playing for the title of "biggest idiot grinder" and forget that it used to be called MMORPG for a reason. they've let the warcrack addiction blind them to what good games acually look like.

I agree with this.  Perhaps they think the RPG part means Repeat Pointless Grinds.   ;)
Patiently lurking from the shadows...

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:17:28 PM »
I agree with this.  Perhaps they think the RPG part means Repeat Pointless Grinds.   ;)
Plus 1
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Nealix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 02:37:32 AM »
Was it based on sales?  To put DCUO on the honorable mention list but not CoH is crazy.  CoH was the first game that had a costume creator!

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 04:15:58 AM »
Was it based on sales?  To put DCUO on the honorable mention list but not CoH is crazy.  CoH was the first game that had a costume creator!

I remember reading an article that CoH got raves from (forgot ,maybe PC Gamer?)magazine for their 'Salvage' system to build items.

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 10:17:29 AM »
I remember reading an article that CoH got raves from (forgot ,maybe PC Gamer?)magazine for their 'Salvage' system to build items.

City of Heroes spent a lot of time as the best game in one of the 'best games' categories in the PCGamer magazine