Author Topic: What was your reaction upon hitting level 50 the first time  (Read 4756 times)

artbunker

• Lieutenant
This question might ahve been asked in here before , but I was wondering how did you feel getting your first toon to 50?

I was in debt when mines hit 50 back in i5 days. I was on a mission with a group of eight. I think it was Adamanster (if not him definatly a stage like his).  I jumped for joy after I hit 50. I sat there for like 2 minutes eyes glued to the screen saying over and over again I finally done it. I finally done it . Man it was a awsome moment.

I stil get the  giddy moment when I hit 50 with other toons, but that first 50 felt earned and a feeling I would never froget. Although I'm Virtue forever, props to the folks in Liberty back then for helping me meet my goal.

So everyone what was your reaction upon getting your first 50?

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Re: What was your reaction upon hitting level 50 the first time
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 11:18:17 PM »
I was elated with my first 50, because it proved I could go all the way to 50. :) It also showed that blasters didn't fit my play style. It also gave me inf to fund my second character, after which lead to my 3rd and so on.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:00:32 AM »
I felt the same. But I was jumping all over the place, probably because I was 11 at the time

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:26:19 AM »
"Finally."

As I was a Mind/Emp controller, and couldn't play as much as my SG mates, and CoV had come out and they were into THAT...

So yeah.  It was a big deal, but more of a relief to finally have gotten there.  No jumping, just went to visit Ms. Liberty to Celetrain (as I took to calling it) to the 50th level.  All my characters went back to their first trainer (Liberty or Kalinda, or in the case of one, Dominatrix) to put their final level on.  Just a thing I did. :)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 02:15:34 AM »
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

the first time.. and 38 plus other times..

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 02:17:35 AM »
Finally that f-in sucked time to farm some Hami's

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 05:33:48 AM »
"Sweet! Peacebringer! Mine!" :P

(Back when Kheldians were still new-ish and shiney-ish, and not widely known to have their... Issues......)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 05:39:12 AM »
I felt like OK what next.
I had hoped for a boat load of enhance slots.
They didn't come and my toon seemed only half complete.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 12:07:21 PM »
My first 50 was my emp/elec. We were fighting an AV - and I was pretty busy healing and buffing - the team was pretty weak, so I didn't have much time to blast a bit, but I did use my Tesla cage on a baddie or two. The mission completed finally, and when we exited, I started getting the "Grats" and all that. Because my system was a dinosaur and I was always one of the last to load in or out of a mission map, I think I leveled from the mission completion bonus, but I never heard it or saw the effects. I didn't even realize it until my team told me, lol.

Once I realized it, I shelfed the emp and didn't play him again until the incarnate stuff came out. Respec'd him more than once, and realized that I only thought I was a good emp. There were a lot of lousy emps, sure. But there were also a lot of empath players that made me look really slow and clumsy. I think rolling a tank for my second character was also a mistake, even though it had the fire primary. Burn was a thing of awe and wonder. It made me reluctant to team because I didn't need buffs. Or to think. All I had to do was run through a mob, run to the next mob, taunt a bit and jump in a dumpster and mash burn and a couple of other attacks while I waited for burn to recharge.

The third 50 was a blaster. This was where soloing was exciting and encouraged me to use tactics and develop strategies - like ice patch in the doorway, pull, hide behind the door, and wait for them to slip and fall and pick them off as needed. A very real character I could get behind and enjoy - whether teaming or soloing.

And the rest...well, I guess that's for another post.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 03:56:24 PM »
My reaction was embarrassment.  ;D

I was an altaholic and I also always managed to die a lot. And as this was back in the days before patrol XP I was pretty much constantly in debt so it took a LONG time for me to hit my first 50.

I was on a team of 3 nearing the mark when what happens? I was killed yet again. As I didn't have a wakie on me and my teammates couldn't get to me and didn't want me to go to the hospital because the fight was almost over I laid there, face down, waiting. So, I'm laying there watching the fight and the next thing I know I'm dinging 50. Man, did I get ragged about that. My one friend I always duoed with still teases me about it.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Ultraamann

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 08:21:43 PM »
Killed a big Purple Zeus Titan, then went to see Back Alley Brawler.  Drank some truly fine single malt, then made an Ice Tank.

Myrmydon

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 08:27:56 PM »
I delayed it a month until I3 came out. After I leveled those last five levels to 50, I was happy to spend the next six weeks teaming with friends and SG-mates while they leveled through to 50 as well.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 04:20:34 AM »
In the beginning, I was afraid I would be locked out of running missions with other players,
until I remembered I could exemp down.

I liked being able to use even more powers with incarnate.
I could rez people incredibly fast, heal great distances, clear minds, etc.

There were so many possibilities we hadn't tried yet before NCsoft shut us down.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 05:24:41 AM »
first 50. thought- good stufff now...oh hell no more levels. well time to build another toon and get this other one to 50.

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 06:40:41 AM »
At * last, Take that DEBT! (it was my AR/Energy blaster who had spent the majority of the 30s/40s in debt, when debt actually meant something)

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 07:23:40 AM »
I recall the map and mission that I was on when I dinged 50 on Pointsphere, who was then Wylde-Fire (the first character I ever created on my account).

It was this one!  The whole mission I was staring at that last bar or so of XP and trying to figure out if I would make it in that mission or not.  I was so close, that it was tantalizing!  As we moved through the mission I became positive that this would be the mission to push me to needing 1 XP for 51.  We were the majority of the way through the damned blue cave, and I dinged.  It was the most exciting moment of my playing CoH thus far (perhaps only surpassed by the epicness of "earning" Avoids the Green Stuff through some sort of odd glitch in which an Oblit Beam NEVER appeared in the entire AM fight!!!!).  I got to fight Battle Maiden as a 50 (at least in combat level).

That final level up at Castle, I was far too excited to wait to go anywhere else than PI, was a bit anticlimactic though.  Slot assignment isn't exactly the most spine-tingling event.  But, I took a moment to record the date in my character's bio, it was: 4/25/08.  (Some nine months after I had started playing.)

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 07:33:59 AM »
I first hit level 50 on my Spines/Regen Scrapper, right before the last room on the last mission of the Dark Watcher's arc, the mission objective reads "Save the World."

Nemesis shows up and I'm fighting him with all the Inspiration bonuses from my very last level up. He's down before they fade.

Hit level 50. Defeated Nemesis. Saved the world.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 07:49:09 AM »
Hit level 50. Defeated Nemesis. Saved the world.
That is pretty durn epic!

Unfortunately, I hit 50 for the first time before the inspirations got cast on the character (only missed it by a month though, I guess it was a feature of i12, along with Insp Conversion).

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 08:35:09 AM »
I was like finally! I was able to mark off tanker on the list of ATs to 50 and I rolled a Peacebringer 1 hour later. The PB ended up being my 2nd 50. When I think about it, I think my tank got the tough badge in the late 40s, I think the PB got it by low teens and had died more times by level 10 than the tank did 1-50. I find it amusing that my last heroside AT to 50 was a scrapper.

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 08:48:20 AM »
I was slightly disappointed because I unexpectedly leveled midway through a flying kick and didn't manage to hit the screenshot button quick enough to catch it. ;) It would have been an epic shot.
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 01:14:56 PM »
I hit 50 around Issue 3 with my main. My initial reaction was, "Hallelujah! No more debt!"

I do believe I probably worked off enough debt to level three blasters to 50.
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 03:02:50 PM »
I'm surprised nobody else posted this yet.

Then again, I couldn't find one guy doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIVy5XdQhOM

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »
My first 50 was after I had played 4 years. My son and daughter in law both played and teased me that I would never have a 50 because I was an altaholic and the master of the under 20 game. So I made a claws / reflex scrapper and ran him to 50.  That convinced me to make a PB - then I decided to get a villain to 50 so I could get a Soldier or Widow. I felt a sense of satisifaction that they could no longer tease me on my altaholic  behavior.

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 05:29:03 AM »
I'm surprised nobody else posted this yet.

Then again, I couldn't find one guy doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIVy5XdQhOM

gotta love Daniel Byran
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 10:29:33 PM »
I almost quit the game after I dinged my first 50.  I had no alts and figured I saw what the game had to offer.  Luckily, I decided to start up a new toon, and eight years later I was still dinging 50s;)
I cannot wait to get back to Paragon City.

Byakuya523

• Underling
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2014, 11:03:59 PM »
was happy I got my blaster to 50 that i rushed into DA and died
Nahar 50 Energy/Energy Blaster
DraconicSins 50 Fire/Fire Tank
Chaotic Princess 50 Robotics/Thermal Radiation MM
Kugari 50 Titan Weapon/Super Reflex Brute

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 01:48:12 AM »
I took me 7+ years to hit my first level 50.  My main character P E A C E M A K E R on virtue.  After hearing of City of Heroes closing I made the grind to 50.  I was so excited and spent most of my time from then on exploring the incarnate stuff.  But after finally reaching level 50 and years of rerolling my main character I knew I wanted to commemorate that moment so the first thing I did was commission Brandon McKinney, artist on the Blue King Studios run of City of Heroes comics for the picture you see in my avatar.  I had my second hero character A R C H E T Y P E ding 50 shortly after.  I was well on the way to a third 50 with my character Z E N a hero who made his way through the Praetorian resistance missions.  I wish I would have ran a villain to 50 but I think my villains only made it to levels 20-30.

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 12:45:10 AM »
At the time there was no endgame, so when I got my first hero to 50 I went, "Meh, new character."

After the VEATS debuted I decided to take a serious stab at leveling a villain...an elec / elec brute who was pretty goldurned fun to play.  When I got him to 50 I went, "Yahoo!  New character!" and rolled my first widow.  Oh, widows, how I miss ya.

Finally, when the incarnate stuff hit, I blew the dust off of my collection of 50's and started playing them again.  Endgame, at last!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:50:56 AM by Mike D »

Nealix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 05:26:16 PM »
I think my first level 50 was early on in the CoH timeline.  I promptly put him away and played alts for years.  Getting to 50 when there was little to no endgame was sort of a let down for me.

I had always had the goal to get at least 1 level 50 from each of the 10 base archs (sadly I only ended up with 7 archs completed before closure) and some of the newer powersets were so fun I just took the characters all the way to 50 without even feeling like I was grinding.

When Incarnate content came out I was playing all my level 50s for the incarnate powers.  I loved BAF!  Not sure why that one never got old for me like most of the other incarnate trials did.  If the game comes back I want to finish what I started and get all 10 base archs to 50!

MattTreck

• Minion
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 08:24:19 PM »
"Now people can't tell me to go level while we're sitting in Atlas Plaza."

I was incredibly excited seeing as I believe I was 12 or 13 at the time.

TriNitroToluene

• Minion
  • Triumph Server....the few, the proud, the pantless
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 10:17:39 PM »
Relief. :-[   I began suffering from altitis almost immediately.  It probably took me 18 months to get my first 50 partly due to not teaming much in the beginning.  I eventually got the hang of things and ended with numerous 50's of every AT, except fot a Peacebringer and Widow.

Crazyleo

• Minion
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 04:31:57 AM »
For me, it was a sigh of relief that I made it to 50; mainly because it was such a grind from 40 to 50 that I literally burnt myself out of the game for two years before coming back.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 12:40:03 PM »
Well, considering you've earned half the total XP you need to get to 50 at something like Lvl 45.1...

Crazyleo

• Minion
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »
Well, at the time, I only had a bare bones background for the character (FF/Eng defender). When I decided to come back, I made the effort to flesh out that background and the personality of that character (and all subsequent characters). All that effort paid off in spades because I enjoyed playing each and every character and the grind to 50 wasn't as arduous as that first time.

Freakenstein

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 04:44:04 AM »
"Now people can't tell me to go level while we're sitting in Atlas Plaza."

LOL. Atlas Park Bums FTW!
First time I dinged 50 I spent the next 5 years trying to get that 1XP to make it to 51.
x.x

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 12:26:41 PM »
I was a bit sad when my main hit 50.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »
A little bit of "finally", a little bit of "yes, Kheldians!" and a lot of "Woooooohooooo!!!!" I tended to play with lots of alts, and casually, so I ended up sweeping the Portal Corp. parking lot one day when I got close. Possessed Scientist for the ding!

I immediately went to Atlas and threw a celebratory costume contest with a 1 million inf prize (this was before the market, and while 1 million wasn't huge huge, it was quite a bit, as I recall).
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 09:59:21 AM »
About time.

Actually because of a bad case of altitis I only got my namesake to Level 50 and it took me years because I rarely ran him once he got to PI.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot