Author Topic: Base Builders: What do you wish was in the base editor that wasn't?  (Read 6177 times)

Apex Viper

• Minion
Re: Base Builders: What do you wish was in the base editor that wasn't?
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 02:59:54 AM »
does anyone have screenshots of their base before it shut down? Funky but just wondering

Here's a link to my old SG called Sisters of Avalon. It was an all female toon SG. My main at the time was a defender, named Goddess Buffy, and she was descendant of Queen Malosa. Queen Malosa was the last known ruler of the once great Amazon Nation. There's only a few pics of the construction phase, but something is better than nothing. I can not take all the credit for the work in this base as I had a dear friends help.

http://sistersofavalon.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=378683&TabID=3184424&ShowFullGallery=1&SFGCI=12142444
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 04:24:22 AM »
You can always convert inf for prestige. Inf is easy enough to come by. I admit the rate is harsh but I paid for all mine like that and I had like 10 bases.

I agree with Aggelakis about SO's but what about SO vendors for the base in addition to the ones in the world? As long as we are wishing, let's add a new room, a danger room and add devices that vend SO's for double cost.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 04:46:49 AM »
Not being able to place stuff in and around doors was due to our good old friend and ruiner of everything, PVP. Since base raids were, once upon a time, supposed to be a big thing, you couldn't put stuff to block the doors, because the other team had to be able to easily get through your base and such.

PVP ruins everything. :P

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 05:35:28 AM »
I agree with Aggelakis about SO's but what about SO vendors for the base in addition to the ones in the world? As long as we are wishing, let's add a new room, a danger room and add devices that vend SO's for double cost.

If we are going as far as vendor's then why not have one that does all enhancements, SO's and IO's but not PvP IO's.  The influence spent in the vendor could be split 90% to the vendor (functioning the same as going to a store and 10% in the form of prestige to the SG. Doing that SG's with fewer members can afford needed base items like teleporters and beacons or whatever. The enhancements in the vendor could also be purchased the standard way via the market or by the luck of a good drop. This way those who play solo won't feel pressured to join an SG just to slot their powers.
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 06:37:47 AM »
If we are going as far as vendor's then why not have one that does all enhancements, SO's and IO's but not PvP IO's.  The influence spent in the vendor could be split 90% to the vendor (functioning the same as going to a store and 10% in the form of prestige to the SG. Doing that SG's with fewer members can afford needed base items like teleporters and beacons or whatever. The enhancements in the vendor could also be purchased the standard way via the market or by the luck of a good drop. This way those who play solo won't feel pressured to join an SG just to slot their powers.

Because you can buy SO's in the game. You can't but IO's in the game except at auction. They don't  have to join an SG to slot their powers. This is in addition to the SO vendors already in the game, not instead of.

I would be fine with an auction terminal though.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:44:58 PM by TheDevilYouKnow »
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 07:39:52 AM »
Because you can buy SO's in the game. You can't but IO's in the game except at auction. They don;t  have to join an SG to slot their powers. This is in addition to the SO vendors already in the game, not instead of.

I would be fine with an auction terminal though.

Yes I am aware that SO's can be bought and IO's generally come in the form of a recipe drop during missions, TF's etc. or bought via the market. When I said IO i meant standard IO's like basic healing or damage...In my mind I separate enhancements by 4.. 1. basic standard/single origin enhancements, 2. standard IO, 3. name brand IO's (like Numina, LotG etc.), 4. PvP IO's. My point was more towards converting influence to prestige and trying to validate having the vendor in base of things that can be bought anywhere. Think of it like this...if this said vendor was to be used and offered #1 and #2 and cost prestige to buy, AND gave a little prestige kick back to the SG, to me it would be worth the cost for the vendor. I was also thinking that this vendor was an add on and not replacing any store.

As far as an auction terminal, /auctionhouse command would make it obsolete since it can be used anywhere.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »
I think that making IO's so easy to get would act as a disincentive to doing the more difficult content like the lower level TF's. Sure, some would do them for fun, but many wouldn't bother with anything but incarnate content and level 47 and higher missions that can drop a purple.

Why bother with reward merits or alignment merits when you just spend inf?

PS - Not everyone had the /auctionhouse command. It was a tier 8 vet reward. So newer players could find a console useful.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 03:30:47 PM »
In order to look awesome you needed prestige.

You also needed someone with the ability to design the base and make it come out right.  I was the person for my group and my skills at building were... lackluster at best.

There was almost a running theme in my SG where our characters ended up living at the base.  So we were in desperate need of 'furniture': more couches, more desks, more chairs.  Preferably in a more neutral style than the few we had access to.  Our wish list included the vending machines seen in warehouses and beds other than those nasty, busted down Oranbegan cots.

Count me as another person who would have loved to be able to swipe some the in-game maps.  Maybe they could have set a flag for SGs that opted out of the base raid system (if it ever came back), so they wouldn't be restricted to the big empty box rooms.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 05:00:46 PM »
The time for this thread to shine will be if/when the new team starts working on COH2. They will undoubtedly be starting from scratch with bases so we should try and make sure that they see this thread when it happens,
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 06:09:41 PM »
The ability to *temporarily* place rooms outside the plot boundary for rearranging them.   I remember having to wait til my SG earned more prestige so I could buy a bigger plot solely so I could move two large rooms.   

Turn off whatever it was that stopped doorways from being placed on walls that had objects near them.  I had a 2nd level in my workshop that I had to tear out when I moved rooms.  I rebuilt it as a hanging floor away from the walls so I could place new doors later if I needed them.  And I did.

Longer ramps, so they weren't as steep as the stairs.   Railings!  Railings for stairs, too.  I mean, really.  Have no heroes heard about the Americans with Disabilities act?

bottoms for all the things.

Teleport beacon to Cimerora, the Hive, and whatever other zones that didn't have one.    ORO, even.

Thinner dividers than those big blue things in room details.

Smaller stones.

More tech stuff.  Lots more tech stuff.   Lots and lots.

Smaller sewer pieces.

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 11:21:54 PM »
I was just sitting here and I remembered on how to get the tp beacons for bases. All those hours getting exploration badges to unlock one. Do you think these could have been done differently? Maybe adding the completed beacons account wide? I'm talking just the beacons and NOT the exploration badges. How about having the beacons included in telepads or in the TP rooms themselves?

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 11:34:15 PM »
I did A LOT of base editing. I probably designed 20 other bases aside from my own. I was known for my "weaving" of the spires...hundreds of them without flicker etc.

What I would like to have seen:

**The ability to make a danger room - complete with programmable NPCs that would fight you based on the level you choose.
**A message board: A chalk board/White board that messages could be left on for members (Similiar to the SG registrar interface...click and it would have date/time notes were left.
**A tailor that would have the SG costume saved...so all a person had to do was go..click on SG COSTUME..and boom they were decked out with all the right colors/designs etc.
**Actual doors...that could be opened based on specific permissions/users.
**The ability to increase the size of the entrance room
**A large teleporter (Think the raid teleporter) that could hold up to 8..12..or 16 beacons.
**More objects...I always thought that if it was in the game...it should have been available to be placed in base.
**Environmental objects...fog/mist/water/ etc
**A mission teleporter
**The ability to create a basement.

Here are a few tps I made for other people:

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 12:33:26 AM »
Very nice sir! Very nice indeed! Mine erred toward the functional side although I did decorating when ever possible.

I would classify myself as a mid tier designer. There were some tricks I hadn't mastered but I could make a 3 level room workshop, had the obligatory monitor room and the like. I had a very nice column of Ice n Flame room. The column was in a room filled with water at the base that was accessed from a stone pathway. I was working on something with spires as well.

Hope we get the chance to play with all this stuff again.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 12:57:38 AM »

Thanks :) I used to spend hours and hours in the base editor. I remember when I started I would see people's bases and think... "Wow this is cool looking, but what is all that flickering???" So I made it my goal that no matter what I did I would not have flickering when combining objects. I felt the flickering made you realize it wasn't supposed to be that way and destroyed the illusion.

I truly cannot wait to start building my base again... :)

Very nice sir! Very nice indeed! Mine erred toward the functional side although I did decorating when ever possible.

I would classify myself as a mid tier designer. There were some tricks I hadn't mastered but I could make a 3 level room workshop, had the obligatory monitor room and the like. I had a very nice column of Ice n Flame room. The column was in a room filled with water at the base that was accessed from a stone pathway. I was working on something with spires as well.

Hope we get the chance to play with all this stuff again.