Author Topic: Base Builders: What do you wish was in the base editor that wasn't?  (Read 6179 times)

Apex Viper

• Minion
There's many things I wish would have been in the editor.

1. A better way of creating a second floor with stairs, without having to use desks for the floor.
2. Better vegetation. The Trees/bushes were fine, but limited. Everything else reminded me of plants you would see in the DMV. Some plants with blooms and some nice hedge would be nice. Some  grass too. Many of my bases had orchards with apple trees (made by placing red bottles in a tree).       
3. WATER! Fountains, pools, spray jets...just something other than slow fields. I had an ancient Greece water front bazaar complete with a hand-pieced cargo ship, and an ancient light house. 
4. A marble theme for the walls, floors, and columns. My SG's were themed after ancient Greek mythology. Don't get me wrong I made it work, but some marble would have been awesome.
5. Statuary. One male, one female. They don't have to be fancy or anything.
6. Better lighting. There's torches but no candles.

That's my top 6. What do you wish you had to use?

In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

cohRock

• Lieutenant
    • Rich's Tepid Home Page
Re: Base Builders: What do you wish was in the base editor that wasn't?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 02:31:57 PM »
Mine aren't so much end features, but capabilities which would have made base building a lot more convenient (such as your idea for a real second floor).
1) a multi-step undo capability
2) a temporary "catch-all" crate or room where you could temporarily put huge amounts of stuff while rearranging
3) a "playground" mode where you would just be trying something.  If you liked it, there would be some way to to transfer the playgrounded stuff to the actual base.

I was often amazed by what folks had done with their bases, even missing these and Apex's features.
-- Rich

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 05:47:49 PM »
1. Portal that linked to Pretoria. You would add teleport beacons to the portal to tune it.
2. Teleport beacons to the shadowshard.
3. Increase capacity of storage.
4. Allow more control over the themes are applied. Basically, let us select everything to be individually tinted, not just by section.
5. Allow scaling of all objects. i want to be able to upscale and downsize various base pieces
6. The ability to place items in a doorway.
7. Doors. Even just decorative ones.
8. Era neutral furniture, like beds.
9. Lettering in say 3 or 4 fonts.
10. Tintable auras for objects.

There are others but that's my top ten wishlist. But I am totally with the OP on the vegetation options.

AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 06:14:32 PM »
Water. All sorts of water.

A customizable entrance. Even if it still just takes you to the blue light pillar in the zone, I would have liked to be able to make the entrance look like a teleporter, a door, a train, or anything else.

Better support for cave and sewer themes, such as vaulted roofs, pipe segments, natural rock textures for walls.

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 07:15:01 PM »
Oh how could I forget about placing things in doorways...that never made sense to me. I remember walking through some really awesome and well thought out bases and being all "wow this room is awesome" then bam! empty space. I know when they tinkered with base stuff it messed up things and all, but I would have gladly went through it to have new things. I thought they should have released base booster packs.
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 08:49:04 PM »

Actually, my big wish for bases would be to be able to scrap the existing system and use the dev's map-building tools and utilize the various door mission maps as bases rather than blank cubic plots. More like AE than the current system.

Want to create a Batcave homage? Cave maps.
Want a high tech lab? Crey or Praetorian lab maps.
Want an abandoned warehouse (ala BATMAN 1966 show) for your villainous lair? Warehouse maps.
Want to keep the current blank cubes? Keep that as an option, too, by putting those assets into the map-designer.

Eliminate specific functions for rooms (regulate it purely on a maximum-#-per-base-size for power plants, inventory storage shelves, etc.

Eliminate item-by-item purchase cost on decorative-only items (to be included in the purchase cost of the map size).

Convert any (or most any) dev tool map tool item into having the core item/auxiliary item function you want. Maybe you want your power source to be a Croatoan pumpkin vine.

Finally, be able to output a base's design to a file on your computer (similar to current costume file or AE files) so you can back up your design, save different designs options, or even share them with friends.

The second wish has to do with how bases are tied to supergroups.

My wish would be for any character to be able to a active member of one supergroup, and a reserve (or auxiliary) member of a second group (like your own solo SG), similar in comics of how a hero can be a member of more than one group at at time at various levels of activity.

You'd earn full SG prestige for your active membership group and half prestige for your reserve membership group.

You could participate with multi-player SGs and the group could build its base with your prestige, but you could also maintain and build your own private lair.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »
I think, for me, the base system as it was, was okay. Nothing fantastic, but okay.

I did think the tp beacons should have been programmable by us - that is, we should have been able to put some object in a specific zone as our landing spot. It was always annoying to me to take the sg beacon and find myself transported to a corner of the zone that had the train very far away - for those times when you were doing zone kills during ...I think it's the numina task force.

I also think we should have had an SG portal portable power that would work like the Ouroboros portal. Place it down, click and you're in your base. Honestly, I don't know why I didn't think of this before - or maybe we had it and my old brain forgot about it already - but pretty sure I'd take the ouros portal to Talos or IP and step into the SG portal from there.

Heh, at this point, I think I might be willing to play the game without any travel powers, just for kicks and grins.  I've a feeling that would get old pretty quickly though.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
There was a personal base tp. I can't remember if it was in a booster pack or if it was a vet reward.

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »
There was a personal base tp. I can't remember if it was in a booster pack or if it was a vet reward.

"Base Transporter" power -- 24 month Vet Reward power

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Veteran_Reward_Powers#Base_Transporter

Apex Viper

• Minion

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 11:15:16 PM »
I never really had any part to do with supergroup bases (partially because my supergroup didn't use their base much), but because I was sometimes Base Manager, I did some editing, and I would say creating more of a nature or park room seemed difficult so more vegetation would have been nice

and yes, the ability to make 2 floors would have been splendid. Using the props they offer did make some interesting rooms and designs however it was very difficult to pull off (from my experiences).

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 11:19:52 PM »
Oh yeah, I had that one. I think there must have been a lengthy recharge on it.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 11:36:20 PM »
Oh yeah, I had that one. I think there must have been a lengthy recharge on it.

Yea, the recharge was like 30 minutes. Some how I had 2 of them. I had the vet reward and one other one. I really think it came from a booster pack but don't quote me. I think it was in the steam punk set....I had them all so its hard for me to keep them separate.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 11:59:19 PM »
You could also get it as an accolade power by completing Monitor Duty and Patrol day jobs. It could hold 10 charges and could be recharged.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 01:32:23 AM »
+1 to cohRock.  A sandbox mode aka playground would have been super nice.  I hated having to give up a room just to try new ideas or teach myself how to do things.

Everyone's ideas I agree with fully. 

Now my personal wish list of items not covered by others:

1) Customizable ncps in the base.  A mouse themed base with mice working in the base and some with specific dialog would have rocked.
2) Monitors that would give you a choice of what to display, ie computer general, a specific zone, rotating zones, another part of your base.
3) Items/columns that could be placed anywhere that didn't snap to predetermined locations.
No Surrender!

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 01:54:27 AM »
Actually, my big wish for bases would be to be able to scrap the existing system and use the dev's map-building tools and utilize the various door mission maps as bases rather than blank cubic plots. More like AE than the current system.

Yeah, starting with the AE system would have made a much more awesome base builder-- for starters, functional NPC's
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 01:57:36 AM »
A sandbox would have been great. I'm totally on board about the columns too. When my base was being built I used the entrance for my learning room, but it was just me in the beginning so I had that luxury.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 02:15:20 AM »
Basically there were 2 kinds of bases.
Bases that were very functional and bases that looked awesome.

In order to look awesome you needed prestige.
In order to get prestige you needed members playing in SG mode.
In order to get members to buy into SG mode, you needed functionality.

So, how about things that can only be accomplished through a SG.
Like the only place to get SO's is a base.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 02:22:50 AM »
So, how about things that can only be accomplished through a SG.
Like the only place to get SO's is a base.
Awful idea. Terrible. Horrible. You are forcing people into an SG. Does it cost anything to get this mythical base vendor that sells SOs? If yes, then you're screwing over soloists. If not, then why not leave them out in the world?
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 02:27:08 AM »
does anyone have screenshots of their base before it shut down? Funky but just wondering