Author Topic: Trying to get Icon to work  (Read 2581 times)

SCSuperheroKnight

• Underling
Trying to get Icon to work
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:37:58 PM »
Hello everyone!  I'm trying to get Icon to work, but it seems to be acting up.  While loading it, I get this message:

Important: Your computer appears to be using older drivers for your video card Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family with driver dated 09-13-2007.

Keeps telling me that City of Heroes will run poorly.  BTW, I'm using a laptop, so yeah, no way to update the driver.  Anyhow, is there a way to run Icon without updating the drivers, like running on a lower resolution or to run Icon in a window instead of full screen?

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this.  I'm trying to see the Mecha Costume parts especially from a rear view.  There are plenty of pics of them from the front and sides, but nothing from the back.  Thank y'all for helping me out.

Tacitala

• Boss
Re: Trying to get Icon to work
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 12:33:18 AM »
As long as you can still get CoH to run with what you have now, things should be fine.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

SCSuperheroKnight

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:44:33 AM »
Okay.  I'm not sure if I can get CoH to run.  It's been a long time.  I could get it to run a long long time ago, but I'll keep trying.  Still wish I could get a pic of what the back of the mecha costume leg pieces.  I'm trying to get a good pic to use a ref for a future commission.

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 02:21:25 PM »
Here ya go:

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 02:37:40 PM »
I would post this here as it is likely to be seen and addressed by the people who have taken on the task of supporting Icon. Also there are several threads of troubleshooting here already.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/board,174.0.html
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 02:39:34 PM »
OP, that is a very standard message and is basically just a nag. If you ever ran COH on there it will run ICON. I get that message as well and just ignore it.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

MaxDefense

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 04:06:44 PM »
Hello everyone!  I'm trying to get Icon to work, but it seems to be acting up.  While loading it, I get this message:

Important: Your computer appears to be using older drivers for your video card Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family with driver dated 09-13-2007.

Keeps telling me that City of Heroes will run poorly.  BTW, I'm using a laptop, so yeah, no way to update the driver.  Anyhow, is there a way to run Icon without updating the drivers, like running on a lower resolution or to run Icon in a window instead of full screen?

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this.  I'm trying to see the Mecha Costume parts especially from a rear view.  There are plenty of pics of them from the front and sides, but nothing from the back.  Thank y'all for helping me out.

I agree you can ignore the warning but if you are experincing display issues there is no reason that you can not update the video driver on your laptop

If you send your laptop model can send you a link or just search the laptop manufactures website

SCSuperheroKnight

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 04:30:31 PM »
Here ya go:

Cool!  Thank you so much!  I appreciate!

OP, that is a very standard message and is basically just a nag. If you ever ran COH on there it will run ICON. I get that message as well and just ignore it.

Yeah, I ignored it as well, but just before it finally loads, it crashes.  Says that the video card drivers are outdated, and that City of Heroes is having trouble working under them.  Still, I know that Icon works, but I'll have to wait until I get a new computer that's a bit more powerful to run it on.  This is strange since I can run Dragon Age II on my laptop (a bit laggy but eh), although my laptop can't run Dragon Age I, which is just as strange.  Oh well, but I appreciate your help.  Thank y'all for the help!

I agree you can ignore the warning but if you are experincing display issues there is no reason that you can not update the video driver on your laptop

If you send your laptop model can send you a link or just search the laptop manufactures website

I'm not sure as I got my laptop back in 2008.  It's strange though, as I could play City of Heroes, although it was very very laggy at times.  And I know my warranty has definitely run out by now.  And my model is a Toshiba Satellite and I have Windows Vista.  I did look up the video card driver manufacturer. I'm going to try and see what I can find through Toshiba.

But yeah, I still can get the Korean Standalone Character Creator to work. A shame I can't just put all of the costume parts into it.  XP  But thank you everyone for your help.

SCSuperheroKnight

• Underling
Update: Out of luck :(
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 04:43:42 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I use the drivertracker program from Toshiba, said I could download the updated driver for $4.95.  But to be safe I called them up and according to them, it wouldn't matter, as I would also have to spend more money (like the hundreds range) to have them shipped me a new driver, then I would have to take my laptop apart and install the new driver into it. 

Yeah, so I'm out of luck.  I talked to my dad, and he recommended that I don't do that.  Unless I know what I'm doing, I could really screw up my computer, and I already had one disaster where my hard drive crashed and I was forced to do a hard clean install, wiping my computer cleaned.  Thankfully I had backed up a great deal of my files and I also had hard copies of many of documents printed out, so it was a total disaster, but still, I really don't want to go through that again. 

Well, I can still use the Korean one, just won't have all of the costume parts.  Still, it's better than nothing right?

Again thank y'all for your help!  I greatly appreciate it.

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 05:13:43 PM »
If they have to open the up the laptop that IS NOT A NEW DRIVER.

That is a whole brand new video card.

The DRIVER is the software that tells your VIDEO CARD what to do, and unless you've got some really shady company, a driver update is ALWAYS going to be free.

SCSuperheroKnight

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 05:40:55 PM »
If they have to open the up the laptop that IS NOT A NEW DRIVER.

That is a whole brand new video card.

The DRIVER is the software that tells your VIDEO CARD what to do, and unless you've got some really shady company, a driver update is ALWAYS going to be free.

Well, according to the Toshiba program (which I got from Toshiba), it says that it will cost $4.95. But yeah, it's really strange.  Still best be careful.  Anyhow, thank you again for getting that pic.  I appreciate it very much!

MaxDefense

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 06:47:07 PM »
SH_Knight

Here is a link to a site that has drivers for your chipset

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=Mobile+Intel%c2%ae+965+Express+Chipset+Family

Just follow the instructions with your OS and download

The install utility should do the rest

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 06:51:24 PM »
I tried to download and run the latest version of Icon, and when I went to my download folder and told it to run the program, I get the following message:

"We couldn't find a cityofHeroes.exe file in the current directory.  Please select the game installation that you wish to use."

When I click OK on that mini-screen, it just open the My Documents directory.

What steps am I supposed to be taking to get the Icon program to install correctly?

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 07:25:20 PM »
I tried to download and run the latest version of Icon, and when I went to my download folder and told it to run the program, I get the following message:

"We couldn't find a cityofHeroes.exe file in the current directory.  Please select the game installation that you wish to use."

When I click OK on that mini-screen, it just open the My Documents directory.

What steps am I supposed to be taking to get the Icon program to install correctly?

Go Here: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/board,174.0.html

Edit: Fixin' yer quote -- B
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:43:51 AM by Blondeshell »
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

SCSuperheroKnight

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 07:23:07 PM »
SH_Knight

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=Mobile+Intel%c2%ae+965+Express+Chipset+Family

Thank you!  Unfortunately, I just tried every single driver update and they either say not compatible or not validated for my computer.  I'm still trying to figure out what's going on here.  It says Intel GM965 Driver, and Intel 6,5,4,3,900 Series Chipsets.  And....

Uh-oh.  Says that Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver.  Says that a customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on my computer.

Well, dang.  There goes the canoe!

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 05:25:27 AM »
Then check your laptop manufacturer's website.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

microc

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 01:21:28 AM »
the correct model for Toshiba laptops is the label on the bottom of the laptop.

SCSuperheroKnight

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »
SH_Knight

Thank you again for your help!  And thank you everyone for your support!  I greatly appreciate it!