Author Topic: Underrated Powersets  (Read 31134 times)

blacksly

• Elite Boss
Re: Underrated Powersets
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 03:00:46 PM »
Sonic was not so much underRATED as disliked by a lot of players. The graphics were not really interesting, the sounds were annoying, and the gameplay with it was largely boring. It was effective but boring, much like Force Fields. So the Sonics that you see would be effective, but you wouldn't see many of them.

Mouse-Man

• Minion
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 03:04:15 PM »
It may seem funky but I actually didn't see many Fire Blasters when I was playing on Victory. Yeah it was resistable by a good chunk of mobs and especially some arch-villains but at the same time it had absurdly good DoT whenever I used it

I actually had a Fire/Fire/Fire blaster on Victory. I never really noticed him having a rough time with mobs... except when the DoT stole aggro from the Tanks. Always had to make sure the Tank was paying attention because one fireball and... BOOM! The whole mob is after you.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 04:53:20 PM »
I actually had a Fire/Fire/Fire blaster on Victory. I never really noticed him having a rough time with mobs... except when the DoT stole aggro from the Tanks. Always had to make sure the Tank was paying attention because one fireball and... BOOM! The whole mob is after you.

yeah if you unleashed an AoE that DoT'd for a while the Tank seemed nonexistent to some baddies

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 06:01:35 PM »
Water blast.

Color that crap green, you got yourself a radioactive monster.

Color it brown and you have some serious digestive problems.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 06:33:40 PM »
Energy Melee.  While I'm aware of the weaknesses in the set, it is a single-target damage and stun monster.  I'm pretty sure Energy Transfer is the most powerful single-target attack a player can get.  Maybe it was due to me playing solo most of the time, but I didn't mind the slow animations or weak AoE, not when I could hit enemies with the 3.56 scale (with guaranteed Mag 3 Stun) Total Focus or the 4.56 scale (with 60% Mag 3 Stun chance) Energy Transfer.  (Her name wasn't "Ms. Stungun" for nothing.  She was almost always surrounded by enemies, even Bosses, staggering about in a daze)

My biggest problem with that character was actually her secondary, Energy Aura.  She never felt as sturdy as my other Brutes.  If I were remaking her today I'd probably give her a different secondary.

(Also, one of the last characters I ever made in the game was an Earth/Ice Dominator.  She was fantastic.  She gave me great appreciation for location-targeted effects, and I loved her pet.  I made her after the announcement, and still got her to 50+2 before the game closed)

I played an Energy/Energy blaster (my first 50), and the combination of knockback and stun meant you could play it like a scrapper, and just keep mobs either on their butts or staggering around like idiots until you finish them off. Fun like juggling chainsaws.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 06:56:05 PM »
As for the original question, of all the power sets I took to at least 30, I'd say Mind Control was the most underrated. I don't remember if Xophia was Mind/Rad or Mind/Kin but she was one or the other.

Levitate made me chuckle every time I used it, and Telekinesis often made me laugh out loud at the bad guys bobbing along the walls toward the nearest corner.

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 11:42:21 PM »
As for the original question, of all the power sets I took to at least 30, I'd say Mind Control was the most underrated. I don't remember if Xophia was Mind/Rad or Mind/Kin but she was one or the other.

Levitate made me chuckle every time I used it, and Telekinesis often made me laugh out loud at the bad guys bobbing along the walls toward the nearest corner.

My first 50 was a Mind/Kin controller. I think mind wasnt used much because you had to gut to 32 or 34 before the benefits of that power really started to shine. Dont get me wrong, I loved Mind/ Love it to death . But you really had no real good AOE's till mid-late game . Now past 32 or 34 .. Well that's when the fun started with mind  ;D

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »
 after 8 years of playing almost everything.. I cant really think of anything that was underrated to me. Underrated means something that very good that should have been rated higher..

not something I didnt see everyone on the planet playing.. im a game where you have people spread across multiple servers with tons of alts.. you probably are seeing a snapshot every time you play and never the whole picture..

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 10:03:31 PM »
Mercs. As irritating as the Medic could be (thinking he was a melee combatant), having two Tier-2 pets with a fricking SNIPE attack was GOLD.

And after I paired this with Trick Arrow (another totally undervalued set), not to mention that I'd slotted all my pets for Debuff, holy crap could they shred a target like a block of cheese.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
Yeah, having pets with sniper... Playing STO the lat few months and learning to finetune control over my boffs has given me a new appreciation of MM I never had before. I've come to dearly love sending a pet in to plant mines or morters before casually strolling to a trigger point and brinnging on a hellstorm. 8)

Sonic was not so much underRATED as disliked by a lot of players. The graphics were not really interesting, the sounds were annoying, and the gameplay with it was largely boring. It was effective but boring, much like Force Fields. So the Sonics that you see would be effective, but you wouldn't see many of them.
Yeah, that always bugged me about sonic... it was highly effective, but at the same time highly annoying (particularly at halloween since so many of the monsters used the same sounders so you couldn't tell if you were hearing a baddie or just some chucklehead setting off their powers)
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »
Now that I think about it, in hindsight The Warshade was pretty underrepresented. So, technically that counts.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 10:13:21 PM »
For myself, I would say ice/storm troller. To me it was very weak despite ice having the best holds in the game.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2014, 04:29:33 AM »
generally I hate replying to my own posts, but did anyone find Traps to be useful? Triage Beacon and Acid Mortar seem like they would be amazing at debuff and support

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2014, 04:59:07 AM »
Nobody said it?

Ok, I'll do it.

Brawl.  Totally underrated.  Especially six slotted and franken-io'd and stuff.

wyldhunt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2014, 06:39:15 PM »
generally I hate replying to my own posts, but did anyone find Traps to be useful? Triage Beacon and Acid Mortar seem like they would be amazing at debuff and support
Triage Beacon was OK, nothing spectacular, and overwhelmed by AoE heals such as Twilight Grasp.

However Acid Mortar was literally the bomb! Let that puppy go and draw a little aggro, and unload on the debuffed and momentarily-distracted spawn! It was great on my Robots/Traps MM and my DP/Traps Corruptor.

Oh, Charged Mastermind, I hope you're happy - this thread has me designing and tweaking builds in Mids as much as I used to do when CoX was live...  :P
Wyldhunt
Guardianite since I2
Playing as Wyldhaunt on Rebirth

Botzo

• Minion
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2014, 07:19:23 PM »
I loved my Earth Melee/Regen brute. The stuns and knockup brought to the table by Earth, gave you time to use your numerous clicky heals, and Regen had a low cost on your endurance allowing for Earth to spam toyour heart's content. But Tremor alone really is the power I loved, throwing enemies into the air all around you.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2014, 11:16:29 PM »
Triage Beacon was OK, nothing spectacular, and overwhelmed by AoE heals such as Twilight Grasp.

However Acid Mortar was literally the bomb! Let that puppy go and draw a little aggro, and unload on the debuffed and momentarily-distracted spawn! It was great on my Robots/Traps MM and my DP/Traps Corruptor.

Oh, Charged Mastermind, I hope you're happy - this thread has me designing and tweaking builds in Mids as much as I used to do when CoX was live...  :P

lol. I'm not sure if I am happy about that or not. I was just curious because now I want to make a Robots/Traps MM if it comes back

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »
I had a Thugs/Traps MM.  More fragile than Bots/Traps, but makes up for it with damage output.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2014, 03:01:26 PM »
I had a Thugs/Traps MM.  More fragile than Bots/Traps, but makes up for it with damage output.

I had a Thugs/Traps. It didnt seem any more fragile to me than the Bots.. in fact it was one set that allowed me to slot every defensive IO for a MM/Pet Class in the game.. If I remember correctly with the FF generator and the defense buffs from the Second Thugs..they were At or near the soft cap..

I never tried Bots/Traps.. I had a Bots/FF that basically was a tank..

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2014, 03:18:45 PM »
You remember correctly, My thug/trap mastermind only needed the defense IOs for his minions, and if they were in the forcefield they were essentially untouchable. One of the strongest builds, in that it isn't really that reliant on IOs to bring down the house.

Canine

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »
/Devices on a blaster, after the Smoke Grenade nerf.

I had a Dual Pistol/Devices blaster and the fun you could have with Cloaking Device, Smoke Grenade, Trip Mines and Caltrops, mixed with the solid AoE of Pistols made for an amusing 'dicking around' setup.  Plus, Executioner's Shot with standard ammo as a finisher never got old to me. :)

This may be a personal thing, but I felt that Stone Armour on a tanker was underrated.  Not Granite Armour, Stone Armour, the rest of the set.  My Stone/Fire tanker used Granite purely as a panic button.  And since my favourite pastime with him was hunting Carnies, it wasn't even a very useful panic button, given all the psi damage.  Stomping around as a tiny agglomeration of all the toggles who just happened as a result, to be almost totally immune to the 40 or so Carnies that were stood around him being toasted to a crisp was just amusing as hell and cathartic payback for all the pain Carnies caused my other alts over the years.

'What's that dear, you're trying to drain my endurance?  Sorry, Rooted, Crystal Armour and Minerals mean that's not going to be happening, and even if you do hit me with a drain, I've got Conserve Energy in reserve...'

(the Crystal armour NE +def meant that Dark Ring Mistresses very rarely managed to hit with Mask of Vitiation, Minerals meant that Psychic Visage from all the carnies being defeated around me rarely hit, and Rooted meant that any that did hit had next to no effect.)