Author Topic: Underrated Powersets  (Read 31123 times)

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
Underrated Powersets
« on: July 17, 2014, 02:06:04 AM »
What do you think was an underrated powerset, whether it be usefulness, or how often you saw it?

I think that Earth Control wasn't very popular. I thought it was very helpful at helping the tank stay alive with Earthquake and Volcanic Gases (Area Hold) seemed felt like it did more than some of the other area holds.

Force Fields was another set I thought was a bit underused and underrated. Dispersion Bubble and the Deflection/Insulation Shield made great Defense buffs. I think some people steered clear because of Force Bubble. I thought that if they decreased the range of it, it could have been way better to let the Melee fighters do their stuff and let the Ranged and Support players stay safe from mobs
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:53:26 AM by Charged Mastermind »

blacksly

• Elite Boss
Re: Underrated Powersets
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:10:08 AM »
What do you think was an underrated powerset, whether it be usefulness, or how often you saw it?

I think that Earth Control wasn't very popular. I thought it was very helpful at helping the tank stay alive with Earthquake and Volcanic Gases (Area Hold) seemed felt like it did more than some of the other area holds.

Dark Blast. It's usefulness at making some other low-defense sets work was not usually appreciated.

I also liked some combinations of sets that were otherwise weak... Poison is a pretty weak set, but it worked well with Illusion. An every-spawn AoE Hold to set up Containment is exactly what Illusion is missing, and it can be slotted with damage-Proc IOs to add AoE damage, another thing that Illusion is missing.

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 12:30:34 PM »

Force Fields was another set I thought was a bit underused and underrated. Dispersion Bubble and the Deflection/Insulation Shield made great Defense buffs. I think some people steered clear because of Force Bubble. I thought that if they decreased the range of it, it could have been way better to let the Melee fighters do their stuff and let the Ranged and Support players stay safe from mobs

One of my favorite characters was a Earth/Kinetic Controller (Geokin). With a good hold strategy, he could easily solo through the worst that either the Carnies or Malta had to dish out. It was kind of impressive watching an entire spawn either standing still or falling down while my little "stoner" ran around on speed boost and fulcrum shift, beating the snot out of them.
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 02:18:32 PM »
Energy Melee.  While I'm aware of the weaknesses in the set, it is a single-target damage and stun monster.  I'm pretty sure Energy Transfer is the most powerful single-target attack a player can get.  Maybe it was due to me playing solo most of the time, but I didn't mind the slow animations or weak AoE, not when I could hit enemies with the 3.56 scale (with guaranteed Mag 3 Stun) Total Focus or the 4.56 scale (with 60% Mag 3 Stun chance) Energy Transfer.  (Her name wasn't "Ms. Stungun" for nothing.  She was almost always surrounded by enemies, even Bosses, staggering about in a daze)

My biggest problem with that character was actually her secondary, Energy Aura.  She never felt as sturdy as my other Brutes.  If I were remaking her today I'd probably give her a different secondary.

(Also, one of the last characters I ever made in the game was an Earth/Ice Dominator.  She was fantastic.  She gave me great appreciation for location-targeted effects, and I loved her pet.  I made her after the announcement, and still got her to 50+2 before the game closed)

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 04:23:58 PM »
Ninjas...
I always saw people going on about how fragile and difficult to control the pets were, and how awful the set was in comparison to bots or demons.

I liked introducing those people to Hanano, my GM-hunting Ninja/FF MM. She wasn't one of those indestructible uber-toons like the min/maxers always bragged about, but she and the boys could hold their own. They in no way "sucked".
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 05:31:33 PM »
Mercs. As irritating as the Medic could be (thinking he was a melee combatant), having two Tier-2 pets with a fricking SNIPE attack was GOLD.

And after I paired this with Trick Arrow (another totally undervalued set), not to mention that I'd slotted all my pets for Debuff, holy crap could they shred a target like a block of cheese.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 06:46:04 PM »
Energy Melee.  While I'm aware of the weaknesses in the set, it is a single-target damage and stun monster.  I'm pretty sure Energy Transfer is the most powerful single-target attack a player can get.  Maybe it was due to me playing solo most of the time, but I didn't mind the slow animations or weak AoE, not when I could hit enemies with the 3.56 scale (with guaranteed Mag 3 Stun) Total Focus or the 4.56 scale (with 60% Mag 3 Stun chance) Energy Transfer.  (Her name wasn't "Ms. Stungun" for nothing.  She was almost always surrounded by enemies, even Bosses, staggering about in a daze)

My biggest problem with that character was actually her secondary, Energy Aura.  She never felt as sturdy as my other Brutes.  If I were remaking her today I'd probably give her a different secondary.

(Also, one of the last characters I ever made in the game was an Earth/Ice Dominator.  She was fantastic.  She gave me great appreciation for location-targeted effects, and I loved her pet.  I made her after the announcement, and still got her to 50+2 before the game closed)

Talk about over nerfing a set and never fixing that was EM the tankers and brutes got a raw deal

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »
I also think some of the sort of support-damage powersets (like Ice Blast) were underrated because a good chunk of mobs had resistance's to them. I only made one Ice Blaster and he made mobs so much slower because of the Slow effect on the recharge and running speed.

Nealix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 06:52:27 PM »
Yeah I have to agree energy melee was a tough one for me.  At lower levels the damage didn't seem comparable to other melee sets which made leveling tough.

I really liked Earth control and had a level 50 earth/storm controller.  It was a fun character to play.

fearalice

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »
The reason earth control wasn't very popular is because it fought itself. The immobilize and area immobilize attacks gave 10000% knock resist, yet it's possibly most useful ability was the thing that kept knocking people down. I can't be certain, but i think ice control had the same problem.

Now on to the topic: I think archery was very underrated. My first 50 was Fairy Archer, an archery/devices blaster. With stealth i could set up a time bomb, count the seconds, and top it off with rain of arrows followed by torrent. Rain had a 60 second reuse, so i could use my ultimate SUPER often. It was immensely fun and very damaging.

Poison secondary didn't get much love, even though it housed some of the most vicious debuffs for single target ever. Poison let loose on a boss, and it was weaker than a leutenant.

Besides those i can't really remember much. I played controllers almost exclusively and rarely wound up in a group with other controllers. I also used most of the sets so i don't know what most people liked about them.

Nealix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 10:45:23 PM »
I thought earth control went pretty well with storm as the immobilize allowed me to keep the foes together while I unleashed tornado on them.

Another set I had issues with was radiation blast.  It looked great but the damage seemed low to me, at least that was my impression at the lower levels.  I never got around to fully exploring the set due to that.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 10:45:39 PM »
posion set especially mastermind,

earth control

Energy melee outside the Stalker.

Ice Blast on blaster

Very under rated and ones I commonly see questioned as "Why did you pick that? Such and such set is better you just "gimped" yourself."  Well until they see how the person with said "gimped" build save the self appointed judge's oh so uber toon's bacon and or smash everything with ease while they face plant.

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »
The reason earth control wasn't very popular is because it fought itself. The immobilize and area immobilize attacks gave 10000% knock resist, yet it's possibly most useful ability was the thing that kept knocking people down. I can't be certain, but i think ice control had the same problem.

Now on to the topic: I think archery was very underrated. My first 50 was Fairy Archer, an archery/devices blaster. With stealth i could set up a time bomb, count the seconds, and top it off with rain of arrows followed by torrent. Rain had a 60 second reuse, so i could use my ultimate SUPER often. It was immensely fun and very damaging.

Poison secondary didn't get much love, even though it housed some of the most vicious debuffs for single target ever. Poison let loose on a boss, and it was weaker than a leutenant.

Besides those i can't really remember much. I played controllers almost exclusively and rarely wound up in a group with other controllers. I also used most of the sets so i don't know what most people liked about them.

Poison was a awesome AV killer as well. I had a friend who used it on my shard mission to find the well. Lets just say possessed Hero 1 didn't last long at all .

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 11:09:13 PM »

Ice Control did have that problem big-time, because it really didn't have much control if you took away Ice Slick's knockdown. Ice Control was still a very usable set IF (and pretty much only if) you paired it with a strong To-Hit debuff secondary like Rad, Dark, Time, or Nature. Then you could use the AoE Immob, put the To-Hit debuff on the mobs (or run into them if you used Time), throw Shiver in there, and the mobs rarely attacked, very rarely hit, for limited damage, and you had an AoE heal. Basically, you would allow them to attack but completely cripple their DPS. But without that, it was really weak since without a To Hit debuff, using the AoE Immob drew aggro, and -Recharge doesn't help when the mobs open up on you and kill you with their first 1-2 salvos.

Earth Control, however, did not have the same problem for a couple of reasons:
1: Its primary AoE control was an AoE stun, so losing the Knockdown didn't hurt it that much
2: Earthquake had a sizable (-10 enhanceable) To Hit debuff, so if you slotted it for -ToHit, you'd open up with a -15% To Hit debuff Knockdown patch. It also lowered Defense by 10% base, so you could open with EQ to limit the incoming fire, then hit with Stalagmites using EQ's -Defense debuff, and only then use Stone Cages. By the time that you negate EQ's Knockdown, the mobs are both debuffed and Stunned. And with the recharges on those powers, at higher levels the combo was usable pretty much every fight.

fearalice

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 12:06:53 AM »
By the time that you negate EQ's Knockdown, the mobs are both debuffed and Stunned.

This is the main problem i saw with it sadly. To me it's just bad design to make powers within the same set render other powers (or even certain aspects of them) useless. Just something to consider really if development on this game continues when/if it is revived.

Cryono

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 12:14:24 AM »
claws,

i don't know all that lingo that makes it good but it's really really good

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 01:18:11 AM »
Water blast.

Color that crap green, you got yourself a radioactive monster.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 01:44:45 AM »
This is the main problem i saw with it sadly. To me it's just bad design to make powers within the same set render other powers (or even certain aspects of them) useless. Just something to consider really if development on this game continues when/if it is revived.

I agree, it was bad design. Electric's synergy with an AoE Immob that doesn't prevent Knockdowns, plus a Knockdown power, plus the fact that the AoE Immob deliberately only did one tick of damage so it wouldn't constantly break the Sleep field's control, was properly done.

But even with bad design, Earth had so much control/debuff that it easily withstood losing the Knockdown effect of Earthquake. OTOH, Ice did not... Ice needed to use Ice Slick as a backup control against additional spawns, while using debuff-based "control" on its main spawns, just because its Immobilize blocked its Knockdowns.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 01:54:26 AM »
It may seem funky but I actually didn't see many Fire Blasters when I was playing on Victory. Yeah it was resistable by a good chunk of mobs and especially some arch-villains but at the same time it had absurdly good DoT whenever I used it

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 01:47:15 PM »
I agree, it was bad design. Electric's synergy with an AoE Immob that doesn't prevent Knockdowns, plus a Knockdown power, plus the fact that the AoE Immob deliberately only did one tick of damage so it wouldn't constantly break the Sleep field's control, was properly done.

But even with bad design, Earth had so much control/debuff that it easily withstood losing the Knockdown effect of Earthquake. OTOH, Ice did not... Ice needed to use Ice Slick as a backup control against additional spawns, while using debuff-based "control" on its main spawns, just because its Immobilize blocked its Knockdowns.

I managed to make Ice work with Weather control, despite it seemingly being a very awkward combo. Didn't bother with the immobs just sent things flying all over the place and bouncing around.

As you said earth had more than enough control to not need the knockdown (especially as I paired it with rad)

Was Sonic Control underrated? I don't remember teaming up with many outside of mine (who I ran all the way to 50 as part of a SG weekly team event, we just cut through everything)

I think actually quite a lot of defenders powersets, and maybe defenders in general were underrated but the fastest ever TFs I've done were with 8 man defender groups.