Author Topic: Where there any other MMO's shut down and then brought back to life?  (Read 4781 times)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
It looks good for us but I never played any MMO's really besides COH and was wondering if this has happened before.

And I don't mean just a game being sold to another company I mean a game shut off for a couple years and then brought back intact.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
Re: Where there any other MMO's shut down and then brought back to life?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 12:05:35 AM »
It looks good for us but I never played any MMO's really besides COH and was wondering if this has happened before.

And I don't mean just a game being sold to another company I mean a game shut off for a couple years and then brought back intact.

Don't jinx it, man.  There's still a LONG way before this is a done deal.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »
One or two, I think? Don't remember the names off-hand though.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Scitenik

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 09:47:39 AM »
Earth & Beyond had a revival effort that took years to come to fruition. I think they eventually got EA's...well, they didn't get their approval, but they were allowed to keep their emulator online. I think, however, that they weren't able to use any of the story content, and basically had to remake things from scratch when it game to the actual game content. I remember how unstable the emulator was in it's early stages, but I have no idea what it's like now.

Gun-Nut

• Underling
    • Ninja's Fate
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 12:34:42 PM »
I don't know if you could call Hellgate: London an "MMO" but the online got shutdown in 2009 later down the line in 2011 it was re-opened as a F2P title and seems to still be online.
aka DarkSynopsis

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 01:30:28 PM »
I don't know if you could call Hellgate: London an "MMO" but the online got shutdown in 2009 later down the line in 2011 it was re-opened as a F2P title and seems to still be online.

It is. I played it a few months ago - not bad but not great either.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 11:46:11 PM »
while I don't know if star wars galaxies can be counted, it does have a emulator that was approved by lucas arts and soe.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 07:29:39 AM »
AC II got shut down and brought back up almost 5 years later.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 07:19:04 PM »
I just know of some late 90's,early 2000 games that run on private servers set up by of Fans after Microsoft stopped supporting these games on their resources. Crimson Skies, Star Fleet Elite Force I, II. I believe use Quake engines.

I've played them. Sometimes the servers were quiet, but fans would post dates of events to meet up and play.
Granted it's older technology but still fun. Fans have even 'tricked up', created their own chars.

Unlike NCsoft, Microsoft, Activision has never pursued the fans of their games, least for the 10 or so years these games have run their marketing course.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 09:59:24 PM »
I think, however, that they weren't able to use any of the story content, and basically had to remake things from scratch when it game to the actual game content.

Way, waaay off the mark there. :)

The emulator is still alive and kicking strong with regular updates and a nice community, and is considered to be in a "New Live" stage, feature-complete, stable, and out of its million-year beta. However, the original story content is totally being used. EA turned a blind eye without caveats beyond the usual unspoken suspects (donations are for server hosting only, no anti-EA rioting, etc). The stuff that has been (and is being) designed from scratch are additional star systems and planets to explore, as well as story content that will push the story beyond the end of the original studio's story bible.

It's no City of Heroes, but it is definitely Earth and Beyond, back and better than ever; that at least makes it one of the best MMOs ever made, and its dev team is a top-notch crew. Everyone here should take some time away from the hype and million-dollar advertising campaigns of the newest flashy MMOs to explore the Earth and Beyond universe; fly their ship on some missions and then dock at a station or planet and run around. (And psst, it's free.)

http://www.net-7.org/
http://forum.enb-emulator.com/

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 01:31:14 AM »
Way, waaay off the mark there. :)

The emulator is still alive and kicking strong with regular updates and a nice community, and is considered to be in a "New Live" stage, feature-complete, stable, and out of its million-year beta. However, the original story content is totally being used. EA turned a blind eye without caveats beyond the usual unspoken suspects (donations are for server hosting only, no anti-EA rioting, etc). The stuff that has been (and is being) designed from scratch are additional star systems and planets to explore, as well as story content that will push the story beyond the end of the original studio's story bible.

It's no City of Heroes, but it is definitely Earth and Beyond, back and better than ever; that at least makes it one of the best MMOs ever made, and its dev team is a top-notch crew. Everyone here should take some time away from the hype and million-dollar advertising campaigns of the newest flashy MMOs to explore the Earth and Beyond universe; fly their ship on some missions and then dock at a station or planet and run around. (And psst, it's free.)

http://www.net-7.org/
http://forum.enb-emulator.com/

Sounds good - I am downloading it now to give it a shot and see how it is. My only space MMO I have installed is Trek and I haven't touched it in like a year.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 02:01:04 AM »
There have, yeah. A few have been legitimate/legal resurrections, where a new company or the same dev team managed to bring the game back somehow. Others have been more grey revivals, emulators and what not in a case of "Keep Circulating the Tapes."

I'll list the white-hat cases I know first.

Meridian 59 was one of the world's first MMORPGs, and it's also probably the earliest example of a game that was shut down and then brought back to life. Meridian 59 dates back to 1996, back to the days of Ultima Online's launch, and was initially developed by Archetype Interactive and published by 3DO. 3DO shut the game down in 2000, but in 2002 a new company called Near Death Studios (founded by several of M59's developers!) bought rights to the game and brought it back.

Near Death Studios died in 2010 (ha), but they left M59's lights on. Two of the game's original technical developers continuted maintenance of the game, and then released it as freeware back in 2012.

This is our grandaddy, ladies and gentlemen.

Myst Online: Uru Live is Cyan World's MMO Adventure Game. Or, more like the MMO version of Uru: Ages Beyond Myst. It's like the Armament Armed Arm of MMOs: it died three times, and was reborn twice. At first, MOUL was supposed to be the online component of Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, but it was delayed, canceled, and a stand-in online product released to customers called Until Uru. Then, in 2006, GameTap reached a deal with Cyan where they would host servers for MOUL. The only reason GameTap was interested in doing this is because, like us, Myst Online has an extremely dedicated core of players who would not let the city of the D'ni die.

GameTap hosted MOUL for a few years (which had a very GM-driven storyline involving the D'ni Restoration Council and the D'ni's former slaves, the Bahro) until they had to shut it down. For financial reasons, I guess. There was no bad blood between Cyan and GameTap, from what I understand. However, because that same fan base was still doggedly standing by Uru, Cyan came up with a new plan: put the game in the hands of the playerbase.

In 2010, Cyan announced MOUL's return, having bought the rights back from GameTap. Their goal was to transition MOUL into an "open-source" MMO, in which the players themselves could create new Ages and the like. Their reasons for doing this was, again, because of the determined and dedicated fan base ... but also because right now, Cyan is in a financially bad spot. They can't afford to host MOUL as they would traditionally. Anyway, you can play MOUL legally for absolutely free, as the site says. They just need donations to keep the cavern's lights lit.

The Saga of Ryzom is an MMO I know little about, other than that it was launched in 2004 and has had an incredibly rocky history. It was almost the first MMO, I believe, to be purchased from its developers by the fans in the Free Ryzom campaign. That happened because by 2006, Nevrax (the developers) were going bankrupt and were about to be bought out. The Free Ryzom campaign had the support of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, but ultimately Gameforge AG bought Nevrax, then spun it off into a subsidiary that also died not even a year later.

The game was dead for some time, I believe, until Winch Gate Property Ltd. brought it back in 2009. A year later, they worked with the Free Software Foundation to host the game's assets. There's also something they're doing with open source, but I don't know if it's like MOUL.

I'm not sure if Neocron and Neocron 2: Dome of York ever died, but they're still kicking and they've outlived their creator, Reakktor GmbH. I'm not sure who had what control to what assets, but according to their current About Us page, the present team has a working agreement with Reakktor's former CEO to continue running and developing it.

Right now, Neocron 2 has been transformed into the Neocron Community Edition, and there's been a push to advertise its resurrection. So maybe the game did die at one point ... I don't know. All I know is, this sucker's old. Like, 2002 old.

As for grey hat revivals ... Earth & Beyond was mentioned, as was Star Wars Galaxies, but there's also Phantasy Star Online in the form of Schtack. I generally don't like people who run emulators and private servers while a game's legit servers are still running, but the guys at Schtack were pretty noble about how they went about it, focusing only on versions of PSO whose servers had been retired by SEGA. That now includes all of PSO, since PSO: Blue Burst's Japanese servers were shut down around 2010-2011ish, I believe (and the international PSO: BB servers were taken down like not even a year after their launch).

There's also The Matrix Online, which has an emulator in development. I don't know if they've gotten anywhere with it or not, but I may look into it when I have sufficient free time.

I recently heard about Jumpgate: Resurrection, a sort of space sim MMO that takes after Elite and other games. I can't tell if its current owners legitimately own it or if it's an emulator, but according to the About Us, the game ran from 2001 to 2012, developed by NetDevil and hosted by various companies, with NetDevil working with the GMs of those companies to transfer accounts to new servers in turn. At least until the game finally shut down in 2012.

I'm sure there's a lot of other grey-hat revivals out there, and very likely a few more white-hat ones ... but those are the only ones I can think of at the moment (and I had to look most of those up to refresh my memory). Aside from City of Heroes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed to see Tabula Rasa, Auto Assault, and Exteel come back, personally ... Phantasy Star Universe making a return wouldn't hurt, either.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 10:00:20 AM »
That Matrix Online emu apparently has had a test server online for past four years. So yeah, they did get somewhere.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.