Author Topic: Atlas Park Revival  (Read 12838 times)

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
Re: Atlas Park Revival
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 04:50:50 AM »
Man, listening to the Ouroboros music made me realize how much I really miss this game.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 05:15:02 AM »
Man, listening to the Ouroboros music made me realize how much I really miss this game.
I know, I had that same problem.

I was just cruising through a few different zones in Icon, and was struck by the music and the jumping and flying SFX, it was actually a little depressing.

(But I'll happily take it as is right now!)
You mean closed indefinitely?!   :'(

ag88t88

• Lieutenant
  • Ice_Wall
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 08:02:02 AM »
I was just cruising through a few different zones in Icon, and was struck by the music and the jumping and flying SFX, it was actually a little depressing.

I had the same exact reaction, nostalgic with a side of depression.  Amazing how just the few SFX and music beats can affect us huh?

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 08:28:23 AM »
I had the same exact reaction, nostalgic with a side of depression.  Amazing how just the few SFX and music beats can affect us huh?
Too true.  Now I know why I haven't messed with Icon too much since the game's closure: the login music makes me remember that I can't play.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 08:53:51 PM »
I turn the music off.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 09:19:27 PM »
Good is subjective. The lighting used in the Atlas scene looks harsh an unrealistic to me, as if the sun had been replaced with a nuclear-powered spotlight.  I prefer the original flame effects to the particle system in the Ouroborus video.

It really freaking does. I'm slowly working on making it look a little more "Sun"-like, but it's one of a ton of things on my checklist lol.
...and yeah, I'm aware the crystal and fire look completely awful. I didn't have a very good grasp on UE4s transparancy system, or particle effects at the time of the video. I'd seriously only gotten my hands on the engine a few days earlier lol.

As for a video flythrough of Atlas Park...I haven't done one. I'm sure I will at some point...however, at the moment the "beauty shots" are set up to kind of hide the giant holes of stuff missing from the zone.

CodeWalker's right. A lot of the meshes start out as OpenGL captures. The UV mapping of the objects is totally lost, sadly. So I have to do all of that from scratch.
Some of the meshes are built from scratch, I scratch built more of the meshes early on. Started doing that less to save on time. Occasionally, I end up having to re-build a mesh because for some reason, It's just not working out.

"Not sure how many pictures were UE3, though."
A ton of them, most of the development time has been spent in UE3. All the posts in the last couple months have been Unreal Engine 4, Everything since the Ouroboros video.

"I'd also be interested to see the scene with dynamically changing time of day."
It's partially implemented, Just enough to make sure I knew how to do it in the new engine (It was one of the first things I set up in UE3, Just never really showed it off.). Lightmapping isn't required, and in fact is a process I personally dislike. UE4 does support dynamic lighting, which is what I'm using in Revival.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 09:28:36 PM »
It really freaking does. I'm slowly working on making it look a little more "Sun"-like, but it's one of a ton of things on my checklist lol.

A bit more ambient and diffuse scatter would do the trick I think -- the shadows look way too dark for outdoors. Toning down the bloom a bit if you have the option for it might as well (haven't really done much with unreal 3 or 4 so I'm not real familiar with its lighting options). A lot of newer engines seem to default to ridiculous levels of bloom as if it say, "Hey, we have HDR!" But it's an effect that works much better subtly than in your face.

CodeWalker's right. A lot of the meshes start out as OpenGL captures. The UV mapping of the objects is totally lost, sadly. So I have to do all of that from scratch.

Ugh, that doesn't sound like fun. I was hoping it would capture UV at least. We can extract those from geo files if it would be helpful, but I don't have a good format to dump it into. DXF is mesh only, no UV. And Collada is... well... a pain in the ass to work with and seemingly implemented in subtly incompatible ways everywhere.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 07:22:06 PM »
A bit more ambient and diffuse scatter would do the trick I think -- the shadows look way too dark for outdoors. Toning down the bloom a bit if you have the option for it might as well.

I think you're right, It's mainly that I haven't sat down and really worked on it. I tend to try and spend the majority of my time either getting assets in, or trying to learn more stuff that I can use to make Revival more awesome.

Ugh, that doesn't sound like fun. I was hoping it would capture UV at least. We can extract those from geo files if it would be helpful, but I don't have a good format to dump it into.
Yeah...UV Mapping is not exactly my favorite of activities... Basically, only something I do willingly for my love of CoH.
Last I heard (Which was awhile ago, admittedly) the GEO format was still a big locked up mystery, has that changed? o.0
"Let's get dangerous..."

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 07:48:25 AM »
Last I heard (Which was awhile ago, admittedly) the GEO format was still a big locked up mystery, has that changed? o.0

You might have missed a few things, the boards have been quite chatty with rampant wild speculation for some time.

Don't have much time to post at the moment, but this should illustrate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fszg9e8h9cin3ny/geosample.7z

PsychicKitty

• Underling
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 08:27:36 AM »
um that's a lot like what my game looked like at the end.

Ultra settings on maximum with 1920 by 1080 display using reflections and maximum everything.....and he looks like he isn't using shadows or the ugly isometric(fish bowl view)

if your game was foggy or you didn't have it look good most likely you had shadows and the isometric thing turned on...seriously I felt if the developers think that's how the world looks with their foggy and blurry isometric and shadows fogging everything....they need to get some better glasses.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »
Oh man. Geodraw is awesome! Very impressive, CW. If only it had an export option, It would make my life easier. lol

Yeah, I'm sure I've missed a lot of stuff going on. I haven't checked the Titan forums anywhere near as often as I should have.
"Let's get dangerous..."

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 11:52:56 PM »
It may not be perfect, but I'd play it.  I dearly miss the game, my toons, the base, and most especially the players.  All the things we did together and against each other.  They were what gave the game the spice.  To let my mice live again, I would gladly endure harsh lighting.
No Surrender!

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 12:24:47 AM »
What I'd love to see would be what an alt or two would look like, imported into the U
nreal engine.