Author Topic: Return to Paragon City Video  (Read 5077 times)

Ultrarocket

• Underling
Return to Paragon City Video
« on: June 18, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »
This video is about the bittersweet feeling you get when returning through Icon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgAb0T__EXA

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Return to Paragon City Video
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:01:06 AM »
Beautiful.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Ultrarocket

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:34:42 PM »
Thanks for checking it out!  :D

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 12:49:56 AM »
+1
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 11:38:31 AM »
:) :-\ :'( 8) :)
Bittersweet is indeed the perfect word - excellent video Ultra!

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 11:39:12 PM »
I just watched this and...yeah.  :(

This video encapsulates why, for all my crazy never-ending love for this game, I haven't been able to bring myself to load into any maps with Icon.

After the game closed, I had reoccurring nightmares about running, leaping, flying through an empty Paragon City. Searching frantically for life, calling out to the streets, using gadgets to scan for heat signatures. Just like in your video, only the seagulls lived to hold their secrets; and occasional ghosts would vanish away silently before I could reach them (the effect in my nightmares was closer to the way pedestrian ghosts disappeared in the old Dark Astoria, when you got too close), although these ghosts weren't pedestrians--they were my friends. The world wasn't destroyed. Lights were left on. The water worked. Cars were abandoned, some still idling. Purses, cell phones, and coffee cups on-the-go lay along sidewalks and common areas.

This video game and its community left a mark on me in a way that no other entertainment medium ever has. Dreams like this have left me with an enormously sad feeling upon waking up. But although Icon only seems to promise all of the above, I am absolutely in love with the idea behind it; and I think everyone that shares my state of mind should endeavor to climb over those feelings, and see Icon as the ultimate memorial--entering into a three-dimensional portrait of our lost home, and filling it with group shots of our character rosters alongside friends, citizens, and signature characters. The odds are slim for a return home, slimmer with each passing moment, but my deepest hope is still that we can all find ourselves home someday. It is guaranteed never to happen if we give up hope.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 12:18:08 AM »
Now I feel worse.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 01:41:42 AM »
excellent.

the camera scene hit hard.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Ultrarocket

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 04:00:27 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to watch it everyone. Making this video was a way for me to get some stuff off my chest. Instead of sitting with it, I had to let it out through CoH...Something I never had closure for, something that didnt end right.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 04:35:57 AM »
Made me cry like a baby.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Unsung_Corpsmen

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 05:47:55 PM »
Nice camera work Ultra, very nice. Loved the song. When I turn on Icon ,and have alot in the last couple of days, I fly and stay up. It makes me think its alive again and I am just tooling around waiting for friends to log on for missions. The sounds of the city are there even if the people aren't. It my personal lil  way of dealing......

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 08:29:47 PM »
Beautiful!  While I'm happy we have Titan Icon, this captures perfectly the longing it leaves behind.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »
Started watching this at work.  I probably shouldn't.  I started to tear up.  I had to stop.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 08:40:28 PM »
Love the scene in Faultline, sitting on the dam.

Oddly enough, the scene that hit me the hardest was the shot of Skyway City...and the empty highways. I'd gotten so used to the traffic in that zone, seeing it empty...

Skyway never was a favored zone of mine, but that sequence is the one that made me the saddest.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 11:57:54 PM »
Just watched it again, and every time they get to the refrain I can't help but hear it as words of hope for a desperate Paragon exile: "Don't break, <character>."

detour

• Underling
  • Baja Mercury: Accelerator
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 01:25:14 AM »
beautiful video; hard to watch all the way through.  you SO want to play it with everyone.  :'(
Baja Mercury:  Accelerator.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 10:59:44 PM »
So does Fraps work fine with Icon for screen captures? This has inspired me to try my own hand at a video.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Ultrarocket

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 12:41:12 AM »
So does Fraps work fine with Icon for screen captures? This has inspired me to try my own hand at a video.

I used fraps to make this video with no problems.

And thanks again everyone for watching.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 01:04:24 AM »
I used BandiCam for my months of filming.  Keep hoping for a break to put those 2 TB of videos up on YouTube for the community - I had a spreadsheet of missions I methodically went down and spent months filming, trying to get as much as possible.  If I had one more month...heck, one more week...