Author Topic: Um...hi.  (Read 2282 times)

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
Um...hi.
« on: April 15, 2013, 12:27:47 AM »
So...yeah. Another City of Heroes Refugee here (Pay no mind to my avatar at present). Virtue bound at the time of death, but I was on Pinnacle for a long time prior to that. I started playing shortly after the launch of Issue 4 or 5 (The issue that changed out the 5th Column with The Council) and kept coming back time and again until the eventual shut down.

I was never that "big" in the game community. My mainstay characters - Night Raider, Thoughtforce (Coincidentally, that's him reborn in Champions in my Avatar), Mister Astonishing, Killer Leopard, and Demon Digger - tended to be loners. Hence why I never signed up for these forums during the Coming Storm.

But well...times change and CoH gave me a lot of comfort in some dark days, and my days are getting dark once again and I can't retreat back into Paragon City like I used to. I've been MMO hopping for quite awhile - I've done Fallen Earth, The Old Republic, Everquest 2, World of WarCraft (Recovering WoW Addict - A whole year clean), Star Trek Online, and now I've subbed to Champions Online simply because it seems like the closest thing to Paragon City I've got (I think the fact it was originally developed by Cryptic lends it some "credibility" in my eyes. Also, STO wasn't a bad experience compared to what it was like at launch, so I'm willing to give Perfect World the benefit of the doubt).

Why sign up now? I dunno. That old "Super Heroic Itch" I suppose. CoH was great for me because I was one of those kids that didn't just have one or two custom made Super Heroes growing up - no, I developed an entire universe that ended up being transplanted and built upon in CoH (Several of my heroes - such as Thoughtforce and Mister Astonishing - are CoH Creations). I guess my Heroverse is where I go to unwind when the world gets too much for me.

And since I've gone over to another new Hero game, that means my own little Comicdom is reviving itself as well. And I wanted a place to share that revival. So expect to see me ghosting on the Roleplaying Forums and the Champions Board, but expect me here too. CoH was my first MMO and it remains my favorite MMO. Lot of fond memories of fine people associated with that game.

I guess what it all boils down to is...I've come to the last piece of Home I've got left.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
Re: Um...hi.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 12:53:02 AM »
Welcome back to your family, Rust. Everyone knows exactly how you feel. So glad you are here!!!!!

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:00:11 AM »
Willkommen to the Titan website.

I was kind of in a depression from a failed relationship, was drinking when I discovered CoH.
The CoH community I found lifted me up to move on and enjoy 7 years.

so some of us are in the same boat...I can't bring myself to another MMO. Nothing on the market interests me.
Also don't want to get too attached again because......it's a long way down.
so I'm here hanging out trying to figure out the next move.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 01:00:47 AM »
Hi, Rust. Welcome to the club!  ;D

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 03:11:18 AM »
Howdy! Welcome back, we saved you a spot :D

*pulls up a chair with a sign sitting across the seat. The sign says "Reserved for Rust"*

I guess what it all boils down to is...I've come to the last piece of Home I've got left.

Well, if the entirety of Fantasia can be restored from a single grain of sand and one boy's wishes, then we've got a pretty good chance of making something worthwhile with what we've got too. So you tell those stories. And anyone else listening, you tell your stories somewhere too. As many as you want!

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 02:51:15 PM »

Well, if the entirety of Fantasia can be restored from a single grain of sand and one boy's wishes, then we've got a pretty good chance of making something worthwhile with what we've got too. So you tell those stories. And anyone else listening, you tell your stories somewhere too. As many as you want!

I had forgotten that part of the film. Very appropriate to our circumstances.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
Come on in, Rust, and have a seat :)

Like you, I've been searching myself.  I sorta ended up in DCUO, though.  Nothing is like COH, though.  I just can't get the feel for it.

When I get that COH itch that the other games can't scratch, I tend to write.  I know there is a fan-fiction spot on this forum ( I think it is in the role-play section).  But since I have a fan-fic website, I'll be posting there (can't post what I have yet until my previous project is closed out...too much spoiler material)

It sounds like you put a lot of thought into your toons.  I think it would be neat to see some of their bios.  COH may be gone....but those characters we created were not just game pieces. They were products of our imaginations...and they WILL live on...in other games, in writing, or even just in our minds.
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »
Oh don't worry, the Bios for my Characters are coming...the ones that are left anyway.  ;)

Shortly before the CoH Shutdown I had my own "Crisis on Infinite Earths" where a new villain arose and systematically hunted down and killed or did grievous harm to my Hero toons. I called it "The Catastrophe". While some of them were always slated to return (These are "comic style deaths" after all), I was culling quite a few from my childhood catalog...mostly because they were derivative of other characters or they had simply run their course and story-wise I had nowhere left to go with them.

Case in point, one of my most beloved Childhood heroes and the second one I ever created: Night Raider. Your basic Batman motif rip off with Spider-Man's sense of snark. As I grew older I developed him into being a Freelance Runner for criminals as his "day job" (Drugs, Guns, People...whatever) and used the information he acquired through those dealings to take a dent out of Crime in general as Night Raider. Fun character. Lots of fond memories. Only character I got to Level 50.

And CoH made a point to me - Night Raider isn't main line hero material. By the very backstory I built up around him, he's akin to Daredevil or Punisher - quality work in the right hands, but "down to earth" story wise. Rikti and Praetorian Missions always felt weird with Night Raider. Even the Carnies and Arachnos were borderline.

The villains that had the best "fit" for Night Raider at Level Cap were Malta. Before that? Crey.

Night Raider has no business running around saving the world, so I decided to "retire" him from Gameplay and make him one of the victims of "The Catastrophe".

But then CoH shut down before I could work through that entire arc (Including hammering down the heroes that would rise up in the place of the fallen). And I kind of let the story drop in my head. Now that I've got the itch again and have gone over to CO, that narrative is going on strong again. Main reason for the city switch is the survivors of The Catastrophe (Which at this point is just two, until a third manages to eventually reconstitute himself) have tracked the mastermind of the plot (Known only as "The Zellenleiter") to Millennium City.

At least in my universe, Paragon City still exists. :)
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »
Oh don't worry, the Bios for my Characters are coming...the ones that are left anyway.  ;)

Shortly before the CoH Shutdown I had my own "Crisis on Infinite Earths" where a new villain arose and systematically hunted down and killed or did grievous harm to my Hero toons. I called it "The Catastrophe". While some of them were always slated to return (These are "comic style deaths" after all), I was culling quite a few from my childhood catalog...mostly because they were derivative of other characters or they had simply run their course and story-wise I had nowhere left to go with them.

Case in point, one of my most beloved Childhood heroes and the second one I ever created: Night Raider. Your basic Batman motif rip off with Spider-Man's sense of snark. As I grew older I developed him into being a Freelance Runner for criminals as his "day job" (Drugs, Guns, People...whatever) and used the information he acquired through those dealings to take a dent out of Crime in general as Night Raider. Fun character. Lots of fond memories. Only character I got to Level 50.

And CoH made a point to me - Night Raider isn't main line hero material. By the very backstory I built up around him, he's akin to Daredevil or Punisher - quality work in the right hands, but "down to earth" story wise. Rikti and Praetorian Missions always felt weird with Night Raider. Even the Carnies and Arachnos were borderline.

The villains that had the best "fit" for Night Raider at Level Cap were Malta. Before that? Crey.

Night Raider has no business running around saving the world, so I decided to "retire" him from Gameplay and make him one of the victims of "The Catastrophe".

But then CoH shut down before I could work through that entire arc (Including hammering down the heroes that would rise up in the place of the fallen). And I kind of let the story drop in my head. Now that I've got the itch again and have gone over to CO, that narrative is going on strong again. Main reason for the city switch is the survivors of The Catastrophe (Which at this point is just two, until a third manages to eventually reconstitute himself) have tracked the mastermind of the plot (Known only as "The Zellenleiter") to Millennium City.

At least in my universe, Paragon City still exists. :)

Wow...LOL  if you ever have need of a place to post...I know just the place LOL
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 11:16:09 AM »
Welcome :)

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »
Paragon city alive and well.  For me they turned up the power of the War Walls and blocked our cross dimensional mental gateway to it!

Hey it could happen!

PS check out Missing worlds Media and Heroes and Villains.  Two CoH player community driven projects to build a new HERO/Villain Comic book City/World.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Ecessero

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 10:47:58 PM »
Funny thing I must say coming to the community so long after not being there for awhile, I'm in the same boat as you man.
Coming here reminds me of a dream I had a few months back of being a hero in the game again, except it was as if it was a NEW City of Heroes, and unbelievably, a better one.
With those two projects I'm going to believe that dream is going to come true.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 11:46:42 PM »
So...yeah. Another City of Heroes Refugee here (Pay no mind to my avatar at present). Virtue bound at the time of death, but I was on Pinnacle for a long time prior to that. I started playing shortly after the launch of Issue 4 or 5 (The issue that changed out the 5th Column with The Council) and kept coming back time and again until the eventual shut down.

I was never that "big" in the game community. My mainstay characters - Night Raider, Thoughtforce (Coincidentally, that's him reborn in Champions in my Avatar), Mister Astonishing, Killer Leopard, and Demon Digger - tended to be loners. Hence why I never signed up for these forums during the Coming Storm.

But well...times change and CoH gave me a lot of comfort in some dark days, and my days are getting dark once again and I can't retreat back into Paragon City like I used to. I've been MMO hopping for quite awhile - I've done Fallen Earth, The Old Republic, Everquest 2, World of WarCraft (Recovering WoW Addict - A whole year clean), Star Trek Online, and now I've subbed to Champions Online simply because it seems like the closest thing to Paragon City I've got (I think the fact it was originally developed by Cryptic lends it some "credibility" in my eyes. Also, STO wasn't a bad experience compared to what it was like at launch, so I'm willing to give Perfect World the benefit of the doubt).

Why sign up now? I dunno. That old "Super Heroic Itch" I suppose. CoH was great for me because I was one of those kids that didn't just have one or two custom made Super Heroes growing up - no, I developed an entire universe that ended up being transplanted and built upon in CoH (Several of my heroes - such as Thoughtforce and Mister Astonishing - are CoH Creations). I guess my Heroverse is where I go to unwind when the world gets too much for me.

And since I've gone over to another new Hero game, that means my own little Comicdom is reviving itself as well. And I wanted a place to share that revival. So expect to see me ghosting on the Roleplaying Forums and the Champions Board, but expect me here too. CoH was my first MMO and it remains my favorite MMO. Lot of fond memories of fine people associated with that game.

This. All of this. I signed up yesterday for exactly the reason you stated above. I'm back and forth on whether I want to try CO. I joined the game pretty late - three years ago this week actually - and I always get crazy for this game at this time of year. I never imagined it would go away like it did. I've learned that I'm not an MMO player. I just happened to find CoH. Since I've come to miss the game so much I decided to finally join Titan instead of just reading the boards. I'm glad I did, and I've only been signed up a day!

Glad to have you on board, and welcome  :)
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.