Author Topic: Costume Set Ideas  (Read 4218 times)

Prism Almidu

• Lieutenant
Costume Set Ideas
« on: June 04, 2015, 03:03:46 AM »
So in 2012, I went to the Pummit. While it was my first trip to require flying (I was living on the East Coast at the time), the part that sticks out the most to me was the costume set suggestion panel. I took part in it, suggesting what could have been an awesome outfit set: Death-themed.

If you were there, or were watching, you know how that went.

I did not have enough suggestions to back up the overall theme, and even if I had, I am absolutely terrible at speaking to crowds. However, in the time since, I have had some ideas how I could have expanded on that theme:

Fully skeletal limbs/torso - though from what I've heard of the modeling process, that may have been quite difficult;
Completely fleshless bone wings - we had decayed wings, but those still had flesh on them. As an alternate thought, spectral wings, like the Celestial or Phoenix ones, but creepier;
Robes, perhaps with tattered options, with full-length skirts - I would have loved to make outfits inspired by traditional mages and wizards, but the best I could get were knee-length robes.
Weapons - a scythe in Staff Melee, obviously, with other death/bone themed weapons perhaps?
Perhaps more skull options? Not sure how well the default skull worked for most people.

Anyways, those were my ideas. What costume designs did other people want to see in the game?

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: Costume Set Ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 01:17:19 PM »
I always wish they had the costume pieces actually have a function.

Like armor would increase defense and goggle or glasses or visors would increase accuracy, stuff like that.

Of course maybe then people would end up wearing a lot of the same costumes once they found the maximum numbers for wearing the pieces to give you the most buffs.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »

Like armor would increase defense and goggle or glasses or visors would increase accuracy, stuff like that.

Of course maybe then people would end up wearing a lot of the same costumes once they found the maximum numbers for wearing the pieces to give you the most buffs.

Noooooooooooo... That's one thing that set CoH apart from other MMOs and made it great, not tying gear to "powers".  If you wanted your Hero to be a gadget-based hero (like Booster Gold, whose powers are in the outfit he wears rather than a part of him), that was up to you to specify in your character's bio.  Even then, you'd be free to pick whatever goggles you wanted, that best fit your heroes' style and get the bonus "to hit" from picking and/or enhancing a power that increased the to-hit chance.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 04:40:04 PM »

No no no no no no no nono no nononononononono.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 05:25:39 PM »
No no no no no no no nono no nononononononono.
I agree with Agg. the point of being a superhero/oine is to be different not the look the same.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Prism Almidu

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 05:54:03 PM »
Absolutely true. What's the point of being capable of knocking the teeth out of the best that Paragon City could throw at you if they couldn't pick you out of a crowd?

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 05:18:38 PM »
Well I did point that out if you read the whole post.

That's really the reason I don't enjoy the Marvel MMO - everyone just picks an existing hero.
At least the DC lets you be somewhat original - even if you have to base yourself on someone.

Ephemeris

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 08:32:54 PM »
I would have liked to have seen more ethnic or historical clothing options like Hequat's headdress and her other accessories or Woodsman's hood.  Other examples include: ushankas, turbans, pith helmets, headdresses, hula skirts, leis, hard hats, animal head (lion/tiger/bear/serpent) helmets, etc...

Some of these would have rounded out some of my characters more completely.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 11:59:38 PM »
That's really the reason I don't enjoy the Marvel MMO - everyone just picks an existing hero.
The Marvel game never called itself an MMORPG. They've always claimed a combination of action RPG and MMO, and very often mention Diablo (since the main dude is one of the Diablo dudes). It's Diablo with superheroes. So of course you wouldn't enjoy the Marvel MMO: there isn't one. :)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 03:57:19 AM »

1.  Solomon Kane Style Hat/Wardrobe
2.  Wizard Pointy Hat & Robes
3.  Dresses for female toons
4.  See-through Ice texture for all costume pieces
5.  Long Down the Back Leafy Hair Option
6.  Conan the Barbarian costume pieces
7.  Robin Hood Feathered Cap
8.  Skeletal Ghost Pieces
9.  Dr. Fate Helmet
10.  Wearable Implements - like Staffs,  Lanterns, Orbs, etc
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 05:28:08 AM »
  • Cartoon animal costumes, like mouse, cat, bear
  • More togas
  • scarbroads and quivers
  • more utility belts
  • more robot choices, like robot on Lost in Space vs Mr. Data from S.T.N.G.
  • More day job like costumes for that secret identity look
  • The ability to keep at least one halloween costume
  • I'll get back to you later with more suggestions

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 06:13:33 PM »
I wanted a set where you looked like you were made of/covered with tendrils.

There'd be a regular, organic finish if you wanted to be an alien or plant monster, and a metallic finish if you wanted a robotic/biomechanical look.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 01:15:25 AM »
At least the DC lets you be somewhat original - even if you have to base yourself on someone.

I thought that was only an option if you didn't have the wits to go full free form with your costume - you could just click "based on ___" and look like that hero - otherwise, you could do whatever you wanted?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Prism Almidu

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 03:43:47 AM »
Weren't most of the costume options the very least inspired by one of DC's signature characters? I had a theory that the reason there was no power customization, colors and such, is because the... nanobots, i forget what they were called... gave your once-normal characters nothing more that what was essentially a copy+paste function. Sure, as fragmented as the data was, you could mix and match from the signature powers based on which nanobots randomly burrowed into you, but since all that data was read-only, you couldn't turn yourself into a new signature Power. You would always be merely a Frankenstein-esque cobbled-together synthetic golem. Which is fine for some people, but in our home, WE were the big shots, WE had the spotlight. I think I've lost my original train of thought...

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »
I wished you could have the same hair style, long or whatnot- and wear a hat.

Always the game made you have short hair as a default..

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 04:07:42 AM »
In A.D. & D. there is a monk archetype.
Don't know much about it, but a brown robe and monk hair-style might be cool.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 05:16:33 AM »
I've always felt the Fire Chief badge should unlock a Fire Chief helmet.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 06:17:52 AM »
The Tribute Costume Set:
You pick a hero and blamo you got his or her costume.

Void where copyright laws are enforced.