Author Topic: Icon Multiplayer?  (Read 2294 times)

ispiff

• Underling
Icon Multiplayer?
« on: February 09, 2015, 04:07:02 AM »
Hello Forum! 
Starting out by saying thanks for any/all input on this topic.  I'm very thankful for the latest release of Icon.  It has reunited me with the maps of Coh/Cov.  I've shared this with many of my friends who have all played the game and everyone is in love with this latest release. 

Now for the question.  I did some testing on my home network, and was able to share a local network folder and launch titan from it on remote PC's.  This would mean that I could create a VPN and share the folder for my friends to all launch Icon from over the internet.  Of course this would be slow, but it would be worth it.  The only problem i'm running into is that it's not showing the other character on the map.  I'm aware that this is a standalone version, but I was wandering if anyone was successful in creating a small mapserver to allow multiple friends to stroll the streets together.  I realize this is much more difficult than a file share, but if anyone has some light to shed, i'm all ears.  I'm very familiar with server/database management, and I am a software/hardware developer myself.  I do not work in the game development field, and i'm wandering if anyone had any experiments that could accomplish this.  Thanks!!!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Icon Multiplayer?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 04:26:01 AM »
The client doesn't send any information anywhere so there's no way for it to be multiplayer without basically returning all the server side stuff.

Icon will never be multiplayer. In order to get multiplayer, you'll need to wait for the success of returning the game or a reverse engineering effort.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Re: Icon Multiplayer?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 04:31:07 AM »
What Agge said.  Icon works by using a feature of the client intended to help the game deal with latency issues.  Normally that feature only lets you move a certain time/distance without the server having to sync up information.  Icon bypasses that and lets you roam around freely without any server updates.

But without a server, there's nothing to tell your client who all is where or what they're doing, which is why even though you can spawn stuff on the map, it's all static.  And if there were a small mapserver that would allow the client to communicate that data... well, that is the trick, and the focus of the RE efforts.