Author Topic: bought a flight power with zen, now where is it?  (Read 3943 times)

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
bought a flight power with zen, now where is it?
« on: August 20, 2015, 10:26:04 PM »
I am so spoiled for online documentation from CoH.

I logged back into CO after basically ignoring it for months... okay, years? I realized I had some zen from long ago and wasted some time looking at the zen store to see what I could get with it.

There are some flight powers. I saw a rainbow flight. Yes, it's silly but heck I like rainbows. It was within what I already had in the bank so I bought it.

Now I can't figure out how to use it! I guess I assumed it would be like a CoH purchasable travel power, usable from the getgo, but even trying to train, I can't find it, don't know how to load and use it.

Can anyone help me out with some clues for clueless me?

thanks

Scrapperlock in ten... nine...

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
Re: bought a flight power with zen, now where is it?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:44:43 PM »
It sounds like your character doesn't have an available travel power slot. In any case, any character you create can now select that power, provided they have an open travel power slot for it.

So, no, it's not like the purchasable travel powers on CoH.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 11:53:27 PM »
You have to retcon the character either by spending dozens or even a few hundred globals to free up your travel slot or 15 dollars or use a free retcon token.  You can never use a newly unlocked travel on existing characters without additional expenses of some form or another in CO unfortunately.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 12:54:05 AM »
Unfortunately, it requires that you remove one of your two travel powers to make room for the new one, and that means a retcon.
Spess

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 01:34:44 AM »
You have to retcon the character either by spending dozens or even a few hundred globals to free up your travel slot or 15 dollars or use a free retcon token.  You can never use a newly unlocked travel on existing characters without additional expenses of some form or another in CO unfortunately.

Depending on your level, it doesn't cost that much to retcon a new travel power in (or any power for that matter), and you can retcon using in-game resources you earn from defeating baddies. The aggravating bit can be if you want to change one power and you have to retcon three or four things (power picks and/or advantage points) to get to what you want to change.

On the other hand, in COX if you wanted to change just one power pick you were out of luck unless you were willing to retcon your entire character from the ground up.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 01:57:25 AM »

There are some flight powers. I saw a rainbow flight. Yes, it's silly but heck I like rainbows. It was within what I already had in the bank so I bought it.

Lol  : ) Good stuff.

So did ya get it figured out? It works like adding any other travel power. You can only have 2 and they come at certain levels and if you have 2 already you have to retcon/retrain at least 1 out, or, level up until it's available as a new power choice.

If it was unavailable as a retcon/retrain at the Powerhouse maybe it didn't show up as available until you relogged?

Hope you got it worked out.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:03:29 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 02:07:23 AM »
Thanks everybody, for the information!

Since I have only 2 characters currently and neither of them has hit 20, I'll just wait and take it as a second travel power, that way I don't have to spend anything. At least, if I understand what you guys are telling me!

Disappointing I can't just slot it right away but I'm not that anxious as to use the free retcon I still have, so I'll have rainbow flight as a perk for when I level up a little.

I feel much less frusted just knowing the information you guys gave me. I couldn't find it stated plainly anywhere, whether my search fu is just bad, or it isn't there.

CoH community wins again!  :)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 02:10:22 AM »
Thanks everybody, for the information!

Since I have only 2 characters currently and neither of them has hit 20, I'll just wait and take it as a second travel power, that way I don't have to spend anything. At least, if I understand what you guys are telling me!

Disappointing I can't just slot it right away but I'm not that anxious as to use the free retcon I still have, so I'll have rainbow flight as a perk for when I level up a little.

I feel much less frusted just knowing the information you guys gave me. I couldn't find it stated plainly anywhere, whether my search fu is just bad, or it isn't there.

CoH community wins again!  :)

At 35 you do get that second travel power so if you'd like to wait that's certainly plausible. :D

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 02:12:07 AM »
Yay  : )

Hey, nothing wrong with waiting but since you are below level 20 it might be a pretty cheap retrain at the Powerhouse,

Definitely save that retcon.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 02:21:37 AM »
At 35 you do get that second travel power so if you'd like to wait that's certainly plausible. :D

For the time being I'm going to do that. If I get impatient I could roll up a new character and take it as their first TP, just to see if I like it enough to pay for a retcon. ;)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 02:23:20 AM »
For the time being I'm going to do that. If I get impatient I could roll up a new character and take it as their first TP, just to see if I like it enough to pay for a retcon. ;)

What amuses me about rainbow flight is that it has a musical sound effect. :D

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 02:23:36 AM »
Yay  : )

Hey, nothing wrong with waiting but since you are below level 20 it might be a pretty cheap retrain at the Powerhouse,

Definitely save that retcon.

I have to admit, I don't really understand how I would retrain, it looks like a full retcon is the only option. Do those two mean the same thing? Am I just confused? (Definitely a possibility!)

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 02:24:36 AM »
What amuses me about rainbow flight is that it has a musical sound effect. :D

LOL! Now that does sound like fun... :D

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 02:35:19 AM »
I have to admit, I don't really understand how I would retrain, it looks like a full retcon is the only option. Do those two mean the same thing? Am I just confused? (Definitely a possibility!)

You have more than one way of retconning in CO. You can use a retcon token to change your character from the ground up or you can go into the Powerhouse and talk to the head trainer who will give you the option to remove a power or advantage point from global resources. The lower you are in level in CO, the cheaper it costs to remove a power or advantage point. (Off the top of my head I can't remember if you can also retcon your talents and super stats that way.)

I bought a retcon token for Zen and used it to retcon my Invincible AT into a Freeform because I liked the character but wasn't making much progress as an AT. I've retconned travel powers when I found I didn't like them. When possible, I prefer to retcon things in the Powerhouse because globals are in-game currency and you don't have to buy them with Zen like a retcon token.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 03:54:01 AM »
Kaos pretty well summed it up. Powers and advantages are removed in the reverse order you chose them in the Powerhouse when you talk to a trainer and choose Remove Powers (or so). For every advantage point and power that's removed, it costs, and it gets more expensive the farther back you go. SS/Tree/Talent choice removal is always the same price.

At lower levels it's pretty cheap to remove power and advantage choices. The most expensive it gets is ~ 500G's and that's if you remove everything at level 40 but SS's/Talents/and Tree choices. Those 3 things are removed at the same place from the same person (Powerhouse trainer), and are removed separately, for ~ 50G's.

Retcons reset everything no matter what your level, which is nice, but they are pretty expensive to me. I've only ever used the free ones I got.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 04:05:21 AM »
I bought a retcon token for Zen and used it to retcon my Invincible AT into a Freeform because I liked the character but wasn't making much progress as an AT. I've retconned travel powers when I found I didn't like them. When possible, I prefer to retcon things in the Powerhouse because globals are in-game currency and you don't have to buy them with Zen like a retcon token.

This may be a little confusing to a new retrain/retconner..

Retraining is one thing, retconning is another. Retraining is a step by step process where powers and advantages are removed one at a time and each step costs G's. Retconning is a token you buy with Zen that when you turn it in at the Powerhouse it totally wipes your toon's build and is a flat fee.

Edit.
Good example though. You can't retrain an AT into a FF I don't think, so, your Invincible needed a retcon token. The other stuff you wanted to do was cheaper to retrain vs. retcon.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:21:48 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 08:59:48 PM »
Thanks for the explanations on retconning vs, retraining, very helpful!

At the moment I'm playing for free, since I haven't had much time to do any gaming and my commitment kind of diminished  exponentially when CoH shut down.  As a free player, I only have 2 character slots, but one I'm not particularly invested in and I'm thinking about just scrapping her and starting from scratch.

I still have some zen left that I haven't spent on anything... any suggestions? It's not a lot, I think about 1400.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 12:39:41 AM »
You'll want the G cap removal. Otherwise you're limited in how many G's you can carry and how high of a priced thing you can buy/sell at the AE.

Hideouts are definitely nice due to you have a shared bank for all your toons to use and a retreat to teleport to that also has a Tailor.

Extra bag slots are always good.

That's all I can think of right now to give the best zing for your zen as far as practical stuff in that price range.

Oh, and, yw  : ) For the retcon/retrain thing
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 12:45:09 AM by Xev »
Some Faves: