Author Topic: CoH has been on my mind  (Read 3694 times)

Jaytwooo

• Underling
CoH has been on my mind
« on: June 04, 2016, 02:10:27 AM »
So these past few weeks, maybe even a month or so, City of Heroes has been on my mind every single day. I've tried multiples MMOs, GW2, Wildstar, and finally I gave in and tried WoW. In my mind I was thinking millions love WoW so they must be doing something right, right? But as I played the more and more I missed the city I grew up to love. I don't know why CoH has ruined every single MMO for me, maybe it was the community, all the creativity, how easy it was to form teams. I loved the fact that I got to look at new super heroes everyday, read their story, and run missions with them. And then a few days would go buy and you'd find yourself in another team with that same person you saw a few days ago... That game did so many things right, and to me it was the only game that truly embraced the "MMO" aspect of it. Sorry for my long text but I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Before I go, how long if you had to take a guess would it be before we hear a word on what NCsoft plans to do with them game? Miss all you guys!

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: CoH has been on my mind
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 05:25:59 AM »
Ever since the day it closed I can't go one day without thinking about this game.

Heck I even play the game in my mind sometimes - recalling old missions or just running around the city.

I play CO and DCU rarely and only to get my 'super hero fix', but its just not the same as the real thing.

At the time it was my first and only MMO I ever played, so maybe I had nothing to compare it to - but it was just so perfect for me in every way.

And running around an empty city in ICON makes me appreciate all the work that went in to the design, which I never noticed before hoofing it from mission to mission or street hunting.

So many funny billboards and signs for one thing.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 05:42:06 AM »
And running around an empty city in ICON makes me appreciate all the work that went in to the design, which I never noticed before hoofing it from mission to mission or street hunting.

Try Paragon Chat when there is an event or something.  It is just like the game ... minus all that silly combat non-sense.

Linuial

• Lieutenant
    • Survivor: a City of Heroes novel
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 09:26:28 PM »
I'm still maintaining my sub to Elder Scrolls Online, and I bought the "permanent membership" to LotRO...and yet, here I am, hanging out in Paragon Chat.  (sniffle)  It wasn't any *one* thing, it was *everything*...the community, the costume creator, having stats independent from appearance, the mentoring system (no one has ever duplicated or bettered it), crafting (if you wanted to do it), AE (ditto), the story lines...EVERYTHING.  The whole package.  The dance emotes.  Atlas Park to hang out and party in.  Pocket D.  The ski chalet (that has been bettered, during the winter festival in Neverwinter [THAT sounds like a joke, doesn't it?]; I recommend it when it comes around again).  All your base are belong to us.  Going Rogue and changing alignment.  Pick something.  I don't even mind the mitten hands and low-rez graphics (when you are limited on your graphics card budget)...the other stuff was so much more important to me.  (Thank Hero One, however, that it wasn't cell-shaded...ewwwwwwww!) 
Liberty and a plethora of others.  Altaholic.  SG Starfire.
"...and it's never too late to stop being afraid..." 
"...have you ever been caught in a sea of despair?
"And your Moment of Truth is the day that you say, "I'm not scared!"
"Unity" - - Shinedown

Serena

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 01:44:30 PM »
Wow does so well because they do huge expansions, have solo, group and endgame content, role based combat (works well for teams) and they do expansions frequently. A new player will not run out content in a short time due to the previous years worth of content and the yearly expansions (which are far larger than any mmo to date.
You have not, because you try not.

Jaytwooo

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 02:55:08 PM »
Wow does so well because they do huge expansions, have solo, group and endgame content, role based combat (works well for teams) and they do expansions frequently. A new player will not run out content in a short time due to the previous years worth of content and the yearly expansions (which are far larger than any mmo to date.

No doubt about it. I'm not trying to take anything away from WoW. They are doing something right. I'm just stating that playing the game does not give me anything close to what City did. Not even close. I am biased though.

Corona89

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 04:37:18 AM »
Wow does so well because they do huge expansions, have solo, group and endgame content...and they do expansions frequently.

Tell that to the guys who've been waiting for Legion since Patch 6.2 :P

Seriously though, I've played WoW on and off over the years and I get the appeal for a certain type of player.  The vast majority of what's fun about it is locked up at endgame.  The leveling experience, and pretty much everything else that isn't raiding or PvP, is something to be muddled through as quickly and efficiently as possible.  It doesn't help that they raise the level cap with every expansion so new players are faced with an ever more daunting slog just to be able to do what they're paying the subscription fee for.

One of the things that made City of Heroes excellent was it's ability to keep you entertained all the way from 1 to 50.  I'll admit, the endgame progression was less than stellar for the majority of Paragon's life but there was a way around that in the Exemp/Sidekick system.  As a lowbie, you were never barred from content as long as you had another player (Or a team in general, later on) that didn't mind bringing you along.  As a high level player, content never really became irrelevant because you could get the same rewards while helping out your friends or just some random newbie who needed a hand.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying WoW sucks and CoX was infinitely better.  That just wouldn't be accurate.  What I'm getting at is that City of Heroes was a very different game that offered a markedly different and, IMO, far more enjoyable experience than Blizzard's flagship. 

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 06:23:26 PM »
Every day CoX and it's displaced citizens are on my mind.

Gameplay, base building, heck even AE farming. I miss it.

Every time I research paints, 3d printers and filament/resin technology.

You guys and gals are there in my thoughts.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 04:25:51 PM »
You're not alone..paragon chat at least allows me to roam my old stomping grounds. ;D

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 09:34:05 PM »
You're not alone..paragon chat at least allows me to roam my old stomping grounds. ;D

It's certainly better then having nothing at all.

I am so glad I didn't delete all my files when it was all over.

I even used a pigg extractor to get all the music and sound effects on my PC.

I used to turn the music down or off playing the game to get a little better performance.
So I never paid much attention to the music. A lot of it is awesome.