Author Topic: One Thing I Miss  (Read 19966 times)

Quinch

Re: One Thing I Miss
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2013, 02:25:36 AM »
One way to deal with it would be to implement "First!" bragging rights with names - thus, while everyone could be a Bob, the very first Bob's name would have an unique identifier, like a special symbol or a different color. Something to identify, at a glance, that he was Bob before it was popular.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2013, 02:34:13 AM »
When I was in high school, I was in a class that had 3 students named Jason.

I will agree that CO does have a good naming system. But, I don't think they have a global friends list like CoH did.
At least STO doesn't. I can't check my friends list and see that Bob@accounttemps is online instead of Weave@accounttemps, if I don't have Bob@accounttemps on the list.
If it listed any of the characters on the @accouttemps account that happened to be online at the time, then I would call it a global friends list.
I'm pretty sure @Accounttemps is the ONLY way they're on my friend's list. Also, then that name is the same if they're on Champions, Star Trek Online, or even just on Jabber. You can talk to people in public and supergroups even if you're not in the game over Trillian or other clients that accept whatever the protocol is.

So you can be on Trillian and talk to people over a public chat who are in Star Trek Online, who are talking to people in Champions online.

Tater Todd

• Underling
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2013, 04:09:32 AM »
I just finished watching a farewell COH vid and again I cried my eyes out.  I miss everything.

Steelhelm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2013, 06:20:58 AM »
Top 10 Things I Miss...

10. Badges
9. Inspirations (Those saved me hundreds of time in-game)
8. Enhancement System
7. Giant Monsters
6. Archetype System
5. Travel Powers (Flying was the best!)
4. Trials and Taskforces
3. Incarnate System
2. All the Zones of CoH (Especially Atlas Park)
1. Everything Else in City of Heroes I Didn't Put in this List.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2013, 10:06:03 AM »
I miss the ambient sounds, especially those from city zones, but also from certain maps like Arachnos bases or hi-tech laboratories. It was a diminutive thing that helped me feel immersed deeply in the surrounding world. But not only that. Sometimes when I needed to relieve a little bit of everyday stress, I was logging in just to hop around in one of my favourite zones and listen. It felt so soothing. I never picked up meditation, but I imagine that how it feels when you learn to do it properly.

Primantis

• Minion
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »
I miss the quick, easy-going, casual friendly teams and PUGs.

Teaming just worked so well within CoX.. As long as the leader was on top of grabbing new missions it was nearly non-stop action, hopefully with lots of witty and friendly banter in the team chat box. When one tries to team in most other MMO's you spend all your time trying to sync up quests, having to deal with obtaining even more "Bear asses" since everyone needs their own, and worry more about level gaps (Why isn't something like the side kick/Exemp system more broadly implemented in other games? It's bloody genius!)..

CoH teams also had the added advantage of being easy to fill/easy to leave. If something came up and you had to hope off, no problem. Your team should get along just fine without you, so you don't feel much guilt in leaving.. Not like some other game's I've played where if a certain player throws in the towel the entire team is dysfunctional without them...

I'm finding other MMO's just a drag to play anymore.. No one teams, and if they do its through a group finder in a dungeon, which turns out to be a loot run.. End result being a rushed, super fast run, no one talks, they might as well be bots.

Then I also miss Defenders/Corruptors.. Hot-damn, they were support on steroids. Anyone who complained about those classes probably never played a WHM in FFXI, or a support class in pretty much any other MMO hehe..

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2013, 11:13:54 AM »
One day, when I make my own MMO, I will make "bear asses" be a form of currency.  Thank you.  ROFL.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

drowdruchii

• Underling
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2013, 01:04:31 PM »
The look of the game. Some said it was looking worn and tired, but to me it was the best out there. Champions looks terrible even with the lines off, I can't handle the look over there at all, plus the zen costs are ludicrous for a game in maintenance mode.

Playing Avengers Alliance for my superhero fix...  aye, I've fallen that far.  ;D
We are dancing in the dark.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2013, 01:55:54 PM »
I really, really miss being able to run my Defenders... Emp/Psi and Kin/Rad specialties.

My basic tactic in the later days was to buff the -1 (to team level) members so they'd contribute to the run, with an eye on the tank (who always said they didn't need any buffs) so I could help keep em alive when they bit off more than they could chew.

And Kin/Rads made the whole team killers (if they were smart enough to stay close to the action).  And they turned some of the nastiest AVs in the game into quickly killed creampuffs.  I called em AV Can Openers for a reason.

In CO teams seem to be extraneous... every team I've been on scatters to the wind after forming, so they all get their share of glowies and targets, with little or any cross-support between members.

So I've been soloing my Fire Inferno character Firedoll on CO... of course most of the time I encounter the boss of the mission, I get creamed... I looked it up, and yep, Infernos have a rep as a Glass Cannon.  So I just end the mission when I hit the boss, rather than die time and time again.  I don't get much Questonite, but have been levelling quite nicely otherwise.

Anxiously awaiting the return of CoH in whatever future form it may take.

Quinch

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2013, 02:24:14 PM »
I miss...

I miss my mind/emp. I miss the championship-difficulty whack-a-mole it played as during the teen levels. I miss confusing Frostfire so he kills himself with his own pets. I miss flying into a mob, popping Fulcrum Shift and living long enough to fire off Hail of Bullets. I miss one-shotting an EB with twenty tripmines on the floor. I miss making posts on the forums how the aggro cap should be increased. I miss logging in and goofing around for half an hour before work. I miss ambushing newbies in Atlas Park with money and Halloween salvage. I miss coming up with character concepts that I almost never got around to roleplaying. I miss the tell hell that followed a LFM broadcast. I miss turning people away because the team was full. I miss the Atta cave. I miss Laura Lockheart. I miss Aaron Walker's last, best, final program.

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2013, 04:04:01 PM »
I concur SO much.  About the teaming, and especially about the Defenders/Corrs (tho I always leaned WAY more to Defs, I'd take either in a heartbeat about now).

I miss the quick, easy-going, casual friendly teams and PUGs.

Teaming just worked so well within CoX.. As long as the leader was on top of grabbing new missions it was nearly non-stop action, hopefully with lots of witty and friendly banter in the team chat box. When one tries to team in most other MMO's you spend all your time trying to sync up quests, having to deal with obtaining even more "Bear asses" since everyone needs their own, and worry more about level gaps (Why isn't something like the side kick/Exemp system more broadly implemented in other games? It's bloody genius!)..

CoH teams also had the added advantage of being easy to fill/easy to leave. If something came up and you had to hope off, no problem. Your team should get along just fine without you, so you don't feel much guilt in leaving.. Not like some other game's I've played where if a certain player throws in the towel the entire team is dysfunctional without them...

I'm finding other MMO's just a drag to play anymore.. No one teams, and if they do its through a group finder in a dungeon, which turns out to be a loot run.. End result being a rushed, super fast run, no one talks, they might as well be bots.

Then I also miss Defenders/Corruptors.. Hot-damn, they were support on steroids. Anyone who complained about those classes probably never played a WHM in FFXI, or a support class in pretty much any other MMO hehe..

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2013, 04:41:33 PM »
Counter to that, and only because it was really creative, IMO, was the group of players on Virtue (I believe) who all named their characters some variation on "Ensign Red Shirt." I think they were Arachnos soldiers. That concept would play very well on the system that CO uses, particularly for a SG.

I'm pretty sure Enson Red Shirt was just one dude with a bunch of accounts. I think he posted here on Titan for a little bit, too.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2013, 06:14:58 PM »
I still have to dig through my screen shots, but there was one evening where five toons were standing in a clump on the steps, each with a different letter substituted. If it was all one guy, he had somehow gotten five different instances of the game running and parked in Atlas. Not saying you're wrong, just that it displayed a nearly unheard of level of dedication to pull that off.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2013, 07:09:22 PM »
I still have to dig through my screen shots, but there was one evening where five toons were standing in a clump on the steps, each with a different letter substituted. If it was all one guy, he had somehow gotten five different instances of the game running and parked in Atlas. Not saying you're wrong, just that it displayed a nearly unheard of level of dedication to pull that off.

Yup. That was my thought. Bunch of free accounts on one dedicated dude. I'm pretty sure he said at one point they were all him, too.  ;D

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2013, 09:18:19 PM »
That actually makes it more impressive... :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2013, 04:44:59 AM »
They really need a new word for that than 'printer' as that sounds dumb as heck. Fabricator or something, maybe.

Fabber.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2013, 06:59:42 AM »
Fabber.
Or UC (Universal Constructor), but in fact, it's just 3d printing.
Yeeessss....

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »
I miss getting the whole crew 'together' despite distance some Tuesday evening after a bad day at work, turning my settings on +2 x8, and rocking the socks off whatever had the audacity to stand in our way.

Skype calls are much more depressing.

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2013, 08:14:31 PM »
I miss the emotes too. They were all amusing in their own way, and every one of them had some sort of animation. Other games emotes are often just a bunch of emotions that most dont even have an animation for and it just says what your toon is doing in the chat box.

Heh, I remember when I discovered the Bat Smash emote. That was an amusing day!

The day I discovered what /em batsmash looked like in Kheldian Dwarf Form was pretty amusing for me too.
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2013, 10:54:17 PM »
I miss helping lowbies gain a few quick levels by tanking through +4 x8 mobs on Decoy, my favourite scrapper, to the tune of old wrestling entrance themes.

This was one of my favourites to tank to for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig5phtP3Z_0