Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7308337 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #22500 on: February 06, 2016, 09:16:21 AM »
Firstly, let's simplify the diversity formula to simply take the Euclidean norm of the proportional damage vector.  Rather than using further functions to adjust it into a scale from 0 to 1, let's assign intervals with appropriate guidelines.  Note that these are rough estimates from some initial crunching.  Would need to establish guidelines, compare to existing groups, and so on.  Also note that the range of this function is 1/2root2 (about 0.3535) to 1.

• [0.3535,0.41) - Very high diversity.  Roughly equal mix of 6 or more damage types.
  • [0.41,0.46) - High diversity.  4 or 5 primary damage types, or 3 primary types and multiple secondary types.
  • [0.46,0.55) - Moderate diversity.  3 primary damage types, or 2 primary damage types and multiple secondary types.
  • [0.55,0.75) - Low diversity.  2 primary damage types, 1 primary damage type and multiple secondary types.
  • [0.75,1] - Minimal diversity.  All or most damage of one type only.

So I've had some time to think about this, from two perspectives: general, and specific to CoH.

Specific to CoH, I don't think it works.  Or rather I don't think it does what you were intending it to do.  I understand you reserve the right to tweak numbers, but consider the case of a critter that does 25% smashing, 25% lethal, and about 8.3% of each of the other types.  This is a critter that is basically engineered to do 50% s/l damage, and 50% everything else spread out among all the other types.  It has an extremely low score: 0.408.  This critter's score is only marginally higher than the "perfect diversity" critter that deals 12.5% of everything.  So when I go from 25% s/l to 50% s/l, the diversity score barely budges.  That doesn't seem intuitively "right."  And here's something interesting: this system judges a critter that does 50% s/l and equal amounts of the rest to have the same diversity score as something that does *no* s/l damage at all, and equal amounts of the rest.  Both have very low (numerical) scores, implying very high diversity.  But I don't think those are actually equivalent in what I would colloquially consider to be "diverse damage."

Then there's the question of coupling.  Consider that a critter that does 50% smashing and 50% lethal has the same score as a critter that does 50% fire and 50% psi.  Smash/lethal resistances and defenses are closely coupled: if you have a lot of one you likely have a lot of the other.  Fire and psi are not closely coupled: it is not easy to build for both.  A fire/psi critter is, in CoH, a much more dangerous critter than a s/l critter even before you account for the fact that s/l resistances are somewhat more common.  This suggests to me there would be some need for either affinity weighting or type collapsing to make this work in CoH.

And then there's the last question about normalization.  Pretty much all the standard critters in CoH have very bad diversity scores.  And yet we consider them to be "normal" in difficulty.  We don't assign reward penalties to them even in the architect.  So if an all s/l critter has no reward penalty when the devs create it, should we be applying a severe penalty to them if they are player-created?  Shouldn't the system be designed to roughly approximate what the normal content does?

In the general case, would a system like this work?  I'm skeptical.  I think if you designed the game around the system it would not have some of the problems that it would have in CoH, but something about the basic function seems insufficiently "discriminating."  When I reduce the problem to the two-dimensional case, the curve seems insufficiently frontloaded to be decisive.  I'll have to think about it more to judge it less arbitrarily.

Primus1

• Minion
« Reply #22501 on: February 06, 2016, 11:08:05 AM »
 sigh...

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22502 on: February 06, 2016, 11:21:33 AM »
I find it hard to believe you didn't catch my sarcasm.  To be fair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6UuRTjkKs

Maybe I shared it earlier.  Go figure, when it comes to "automatic" wins though, I refer to things like many modern shooters or games where the "normal" difficulty is perhaps a little to easy.

I'm sorry but it's really not fair for you to expect me to have previously reviewed outside materials in order to understand your posts.  Either provide links so your reference is clear, or just be more explicit in your writing.  Also, vanilla smilies are typically inadequate to communicate sarcasm because they can also be (and often are) used by a sincere idiot, you should at least use winky faces.

What you wrote seemed pretty consistent with your earlier postings, so I took it at face value (see also: Poe's law), although in hindsight maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else who also makes ridiculous claims.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22503 on: February 06, 2016, 11:50:13 AM »
Appeal to authority?  Give me a break, you're better than this.

Noted logician Saul Kripke insists that wasn't an appeal to authority.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22504 on: February 06, 2016, 03:11:31 PM »
Noted logician Saul Kripke insists that wasn't an appeal to authority.

Better call Saul!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22505 on: February 06, 2016, 03:29:20 PM »
I'm sorry but it's really not fair for you to expect me to have previously reviewed outside materials in order to understand your posts.  Either provide links so your reference is clear, or just be more explicit in your writing.  Also, vanilla smilies are typically inadequate to communicate sarcasm because they can also be (and often are) used by a sincere idiot, you should at least use winky faces.

What you wrote seemed pretty consistent with your earlier postings, so I took it at face value (see also: Poe's law), although in hindsight maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else who also makes ridiculous claims.

Ooooooook......................

I actually posted that video as a way of telling you that im not a dumbo try hard.  I know when difficult games are just hard without substance, or as they say, 'artificially difficult'.  Aka, hard but not in a fun way.  Many earlier games it wasnt just so much as developers were bad but they had an audience that wasnt able to move on to new games so easily.

And they didnt need a huge audience either.  So it was more their tactic to make games nintendo hard worked.  But then the days when production costs came to be to high, so they switched to the cater to the lowest common denominator tactic.  Which for a while left many gamers who enjoyed hard games bored.

Course these days hard games are coming into demand again, because people are finally learning what makes a hard game fun.  It doesnt help though you still have companies like Activision and their fanbase for games like COD or maybe even WoW and blizzards fanbase.  Fans who just wont try anything out of the box at all :/.  No matter how bored they get of the skinners box they are in.

Edit: Corrected a silly mistake on my behalf.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:08:54 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #22506 on: February 06, 2016, 03:30:15 PM »
Hmm, I think you mean calculate the diversity of the minion average, not take the average of minion diversity.  If we calculate the average minion damage vector and compare its diversity to a particular minion we could see if the group was composed of different vectors or not that averaged out.  But if we average the diversity of the minions itself, we are averaging scalars: we lose the damage typing.  In other words, a group with all minions doing nothing but smashing damage has the same average diversity as a group with eight different minions, each doing just one type of damage, because each of those minions has the same diversity: all one type. 

That's intentional.  The diversity of the average minion shows as the highest in that case, but each minion shows as the lowest diversity.  But if each minion tended towards a mix of damage types, then the average of the scalars will be much higher.  It is a way to check if the diversity we see within the minions individually matches the overall diversity of the group.

I have a separate question.  You seem to be taking it as an axiom that if you have two minions, one that does all smashing and one that does all lethal, that group is in some ways weaker than one that has all minions doing an equal amount of smash/lethal.  I have a hunch that is true myself in at least some cases.  But do you have a way to demonstrate that?  I'm not 100% convinced that those two situations are distinguishable in a way I would *want* to distinguish.

Yes, I'm taking it somewhat axiomatically.  If we assume for the moment that diversity of damage types has intrinsic value, then it would stand to reason that the integrity of that damage diversity also has value.

A quick example.  Suppose you have 50% resistance to fire, but no resistance to psionic.  You face two minions that each do 10 DPS, 5 each of fire and psionic.  You are thus facing 15 effective DPS.  Defeat either one of the minions, and you now face 7.5 DPS.  But suppose you next face two minions, one of which does 10 DPS of fire, the other of which does 10 DPS of psionic.  The diversity of the spawn's damage registers as the same in this case, and the initial effective damage is still 15 DPS.  But you have the opportunity to focus fire down the psionic enemy, and once you do so the incoming damage drops to 5 DPS.  By segregating the damage types into individual minions, the result is that the threat of the enemy spawn, while initially the same, is concentrated in a way that it can be reduced with more ease.

The counter-argument, I suppose, is that the second situation introduces a new possibility: a spawn entirely composed of psionic damage dealers.  To some extent we're concerned with the worst case scenario, since a player is generally going to choose a difficulty that they expect to be able to manage routinely, and you go through enough spawns that this is not unlikely scenario.  At least, I think it's not.  How does CoH generate the composition of a spawn? 

At least though if you settled on the belief that damage diversity existing within the group is what matters, and individual diversity is a wash, then one aspect of the problem is removed.

Specific to CoH, I don't think it works.  Or rather I don't think it does what you were intending it to do.  I understand you reserve the right to tweak numbers, but consider the case of a critter that does 25% smashing, 25% lethal, and about 8.3% of each of the other types.  This is a critter that is basically engineered to do 50% s/l damage, and 50% everything else spread out among all the other types.  It has an extremely low score: 0.408.  This critter's score is only marginally higher than the "perfect diversity" critter that deals 12.5% of everything.  So when I go from 25% s/l to 50% s/l, the diversity score barely budges.  That doesn't seem intuitively "right."  And here's something interesting: this system judges a critter that does 50% s/l and equal amounts of the rest to have the same diversity score as something that does *no* s/l damage at all, and equal amounts of the rest.  Both have very low (numerical) scores, implying very high diversity.  But I don't think those are actually equivalent in what I would colloquially consider to be "diverse damage."

I hadn't noticed that last particular oddity, and I agree that's a significant issue.  One possibility could be to explore the p-norm more generally to effectively attach greater weight to damage types of larger proportion.

I had a niggling thought in the back of my mind that the simplest thing to do might be simply to count up how many damage types go over a particular threshold, but I need to think about that more.

Then there's the question of coupling.  Consider that a critter that does 50% smashing and 50% lethal has the same score as a critter that does 50% fire and 50% psi.  Smash/lethal resistances and defenses are closely coupled: if you have a lot of one you likely have a lot of the other.  Fire and psi are not closely coupled: it is not easy to build for both.  A fire/psi critter is, in CoH, a much more dangerous critter than a s/l critter even before you account for the fact that s/l resistances are somewhat more common.  This suggests to me there would be some need for either affinity weighting or type collapsing to make this work in CoH.

And then there's the last question about normalization.  Pretty much all the standard critters in CoH have very bad diversity scores.  And yet we consider them to be "normal" in difficulty.  We don't assign reward penalties to them even in the architect.  So if an all s/l critter has no reward penalty when the devs create it, should we be applying a severe penalty to them if they are player-created?  Shouldn't the system be designed to roughly approximate what the normal content does?

In the general case, would a system like this work?  I'm skeptical.  I think if you designed the game around the system it would not have some of the problems that it would have in CoH, but something about the basic function seems insufficiently "discriminating."  When I reduce the problem to the two-dimensional case, the curve seems insufficiently frontloaded to be decisive.  I'll have to think about it more to judge it less arbitrarily.

The smashing/lethal issue is one that I've been pondering.  One possibility is just to lump them together as one type; the game nearly does this to begin with.

I had to clarify for myself why this issue is an issue in the first place.  S/L damage is so ubiquitous in the game that you just take for granted that it will be present.  How many enemy groups don't do significant S/L damage?  But other types are relatively rare.  They are treated as exotic, and it's extremely rare to see high concentrations of those types, and when you do the developers had the option of determining appropriate rewards.  As such, there is little apparent issue in providing very high resistances to exotic damage types in thematic mitigation sets.  Fiery Aura Brutes can have 90% resistance to fire, Electric Armor Brutes can have 90% resistance to energy, and so on.  But AE allows one to invert this basic premise, to create content that doesn't approximate normal content.  Exotic damage types can be brought front and centre, and as we so often comment on, the way resistance works in CoH means that mitigation sets can now become several times more effective than what's expected.  The intersection of treating the exotic as still exotic, while actually making the exotic commonplace, is where the problem originates.

Perhaps, then, an option to explore is to only measure diversity of the "exotic" types, and what proportion of the overall damage falls into these types.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:24:28 PM by Pyromantic »

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22507 on: February 06, 2016, 03:50:57 PM »
Ooooooook......................

I actually posted that video as a way of telling you that im not a dumbo try hard.  I know when difficult games are just hard without substance, or as they say, 'artificially difficult'.  Aka, hard but not in a fun way.  Many earlier games it wasnt just so much as developers were bad but they had an audience that wasnt able to move on to new games so easily.

And they didnt need a huge audience either.  So it was more their tactic to make games nintendo hard worked.  But then the days when production costs came to be to high, so they switched to the cater to the lowest common denominator tactic.  Which for a while left many gamers who enjoyed hard games bored.

Course these days hard games are coming into demand again, because people are finally learning what makes a hard game fun.  It doesnt help though you still have companies like EA and their fanbase for games like COD or maybe even WoW and blizzards fanbase.  Fans who just wont try anything out of the box at all :/.  No matter how bored they get of the skinners box they are in.

I'll give you this: I don't like the trend of "cinematic" QTE "games" that are little more than glorified interactive movies.  I guess that could be considered "too easy"?  But that's not even a matter of difficulty, that's just a lack of actual game content.  I don't understand the rest of what you're attempting to say.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22508 on: February 06, 2016, 04:08:19 PM »
I'll give you this: I don't like the trend of "cinematic" QTE "games" that are little more than glorified interactive movies.  I guess that could be considered "too easy"?  But that's not even a matter of difficulty, that's just a lack of actual game content.  I don't understand the rest of what you're attempting to say.

QTE is actually lame, yes, thats what dragons lair was.  Or games where your on a linear path that, combined with railroading the controls just as well be QTE.  My post I just kind of went over what that video I posted said, did you even WATCH it?  It's when difficult is fun.

But I also mentioned AAA because of how often they have a poor perception of gamers at the top.  Hell, EA for example is run by people who don't even know anything about games or gamers.  Some publishers in fact are run by such people, it's a known fact(and a wonder why so many game franchises are ruined under them).

But even then, some game publishers that are run by someone who at least has some knowledge of the gaming business world such as Activision, well, they have to make money, so naturally they are reaching for widest audiences possible.  This means they have to shoe-horn devs into making easy games.  Then of course there are those cases where genre expectations come into play when they do make something hard, and it ends up a snooze-fest even though it is difficult, but also boring.

Edit: Forgive me if I'm a bit off right now, I just woke up :P.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:15:20 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #22509 on: February 06, 2016, 04:52:29 PM »
Oi!

The game really needs to come back soon, just to save us from spiraling into the philosophical, grammatical, and mathematical arguments we currently seem to be fixated on.  Makes me miss the days when we were extolling the finer points of the latest conspiracy theory on why NCSoft is intentionally withholding our game.  :roll: :o ;)
What was no more, is now reborn!

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22510 on: February 06, 2016, 05:55:08 PM »
My post I just kind of went over what that video I posted said, did you even WATCH it?

No, I didn't.  If you have a point you want to convey, you need to write it yourself.  I'm not going to watch someone else's video about the topic, especially when said video is already irritating a mere 5 seconds in (I did watch that much).  That's not how discussions work.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #22511 on: February 06, 2016, 06:22:09 PM »
No, I didn't.  If you have a point you want to convey, you need to write it yourself.  I'm not going to watch someone else's video about the topic, especially when said video is already irritating a mere 5 seconds in (I did watch that much).  That's not how discussions work.

Hmmmm.... arguably, a discussion needs to be based on the same foundations for both people involved. While Person A could very well paraphrase a video they saw, or say what they got out of the video, I think it's better that Person B just watch the video, so that both A and B have the same base to work with. I mean, if you're going to discuss something like Machivelli's The Prince, both people should probably have read it before the discussion. (Which I use because we're examining it in class right now.)
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22512 on: February 06, 2016, 06:34:25 PM »
Not to argue with your overall point, but I could easily produce 50 people who've not read the Prince but who could discuss it well past the point where any normal person would either nod off or walk (ok, run) away. If grad school in the humanities teaches nothing else (and it's not clear it does), it definitely teaches you to be long-winded and opinionated about a bunch of things you've not read  ;)

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22513 on: February 06, 2016, 07:10:34 PM »
I'm just gonna throw this out there now, I am not going to participate in a discussion about discussions.  Too meta for my blood.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22514 on: February 06, 2016, 08:31:10 PM »
I'm just gonna throw this out there now, I am not going to participate in a discussion about discussions.  Too meta for my blood.

What about a discussion about not participating in a discussion about discussions? 

Not to argue with your overall point, but I could easily produce 50 people who've not read the Prince but who could discuss it well past the point where any normal person would either nod off or walk (ok, run) away. If grad school in the humanities teaches nothing else (and it's not clear it does), it definitely teaches you to be long-winded and opinionated about a bunch of things you've not read  ;)

I've never read it.  But I would have no issue arguing that it is awesome because it shares the name with a "Formerly known as" badass.  I assume its about when Prince traveled back in time and wrote a biography about him self. (No not an autobiography)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22515 on: February 06, 2016, 09:11:06 PM »

Hmmmm.... arguably, a discussion needs to be based on the same foundations for both people involved. While Person A could very well paraphrase a video they saw, or say what they got out of the video, I think it's better that Person B just watch the video, so that both A and B have the same base to work with. I mean, if you're going to discuss something like Machivelli's The Prince, both people should probably have read it before the discussion. (Which I use because we're examining it in class right now.)

I think there is a subtle but significant distinction between offering someone else's argument as a point of discussion, and offering someone else's argument as an argument.  The difference is that you cannot cross-examine a video.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22516 on: February 06, 2016, 09:20:12 PM »
That's intentional.  The diversity of the average minion shows as the highest in that case, but each minion shows as the lowest diversity.  But if each minion tended towards a mix of damage types, then the average of the scalars will be much higher.  It is a way to check if the diversity we see within the minions individually matches the overall diversity of the group.

Wait, just to make sure I understand you, I said:

Hmm, I think you mean calculate the diversity of the minion average, not take the average of minion diversity.  If we calculate the average minion damage vector and compare its diversity to a particular minion we could see if the group was composed of different vectors or not that averaged out.  But if we average the diversity of the minions itself, we are averaging scalars: we lose the damage typing.  In other words, a group with all minions doing nothing but smashing damage has the same average diversity as a group with eight different minions, each doing just one type of damage, because each of those minions has the same diversity: all one type. 

Are you saying it is intentional that a group with eight minions each doing all if their damage as one of the eight damage types would have *identical* group diversity to a group with all of their minions all doing lethal damage only?  Because that doesn't seem right.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22517 on: February 06, 2016, 09:22:48 PM »
Oi!

The game really needs to come back soon, just to save us from spiraling into the philosophical, grammatical, and mathematical arguments we currently seem to be fixated on.  Makes me miss the days when we were extolling the finer points of the latest conspiracy theory on why NCSoft is intentionally withholding our game.  :roll: :o ;)

You think the game coming back saves you?  You didn't frequent the official forums much, did you?

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #22518 on: February 06, 2016, 09:48:19 PM »
Are you saying it is intentional that a group with eight minions each doing all if their damage as one of the eight damage types would have *identical* group diversity to a group with all of their minions all doing lethal damage only?  Because that doesn't seem right.

No, we seem to be miscommunicating.  Group diversity would be calculated by looking at the average damage vector.  But, as a second step, taking the average of the individual minion diversity allows you to tell whether, for example, a high group diversity is coming from minions that are diverse in their own damage, or minions that have more focused damage types individually, but different damage types than each other.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22519 on: February 06, 2016, 10:42:48 PM »
You think the game coming back saves you?  You didn't frequent the official forums much, did you?

You're on the Internet, you've already lost.