Author Topic: Why COH will not get a server emulator.  (Read 99708 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: Why COH will not get a server emulator.
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2013, 02:19:11 AM »
Head explodes
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »
Head explodes
*begins to pick up the pieces*
Yeeessss....

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2013, 10:23:49 AM »
I am worried that Hail Mary TF may be severely impaired by VV's lack of proper head. We'd better bootstrap some sort of an emulator right quick.

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »
I think hatracking an emulator is a bit more urgent now.

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »
I think his intention in that post wasn't so much saying "we don't want a frozen at i23 or i24 COH" but rather I think he was saying "Why settle for i23/i24 that never advances when we can have endless expansion possibilities on top of i24"

Ah, I think you might be right.  In that case, not sure which way I'd lean on that idea.

herostar

• Underling
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2013, 06:27:03 PM »
Why can't a group of Devs do what the folks at SWGEMU.com have done with Star Wars Galaxies? I would kill for a Pre-Enhancement Diversification City of Heroes Emulator.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2013, 07:24:48 PM »
Why can't a group of Devs do what the folks at SWGEMU.com have done with Star Wars Galaxies? I would kill for a Pre-Enhancement Diversification City of Heroes Emulator.
If a team can pull off an I24 emu, I think it'll be able to add a "No DE" flag somewhere, at least in certain zones (via Ouroboros ?)
Yeeessss....

Feycat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2013, 10:27:19 PM »
If a team can pull off an I24 emu, I think it'll be able to add a "No DE" flag somewhere, at least in certain zones (via Ouroboros ?)

Why would they want to? DE was necessary to the health of the game, and inventions completely make up for it.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2013, 10:55:43 PM »
Why would they want to? DE was necessary to the health of the game, and inventions completely make up for it.
Well the original developpers did want to give us a totally overpowered mission as the first mission of the Mender Ramiel, because it was fun. So why not some ouroboros arcs where the rules are totally off just to have fun ?
Yeeessss....

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2013, 12:53:43 AM »
Well the original developpers did want to give us a totally overpowered mission as the first mission of the Mender Ramiel, because it was fun. So why not some ouroboros arcs where the rules are totally off just to have fun ?

You know....that is the one place where ending an arc with "and it was all a dream" would be perfectly legitimate.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2013, 01:22:44 AM »
I somehow think it wasn't a -DE in the Mender arc.  It was more a hugely overpowered set of three special temporary powers.  If Brawling Humiliator can go in with just brawl and take them out easily... BRAWL, people... 4 hits maybe on the toughest one...  It's not -DE, it's a gigantic Luck, Rage and such, added into the three temp powers.  You had something like a +50000% temp power forcefield surrouding you and affecting all you did, so you were effectively untouchable and overpowering.

But that's a guess, to be honest.  I'd really like to know for sure, myself.

/BRAWL.  Soloed that in no time.  That's ridiculous. :p

XxBudweiser8xX

• Underling
  • XxBudweiser8xX
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2013, 02:29:53 AM »
Ok, Soooooo If I understand everything I just spent all this time reading, And I understand it correctly.... There WILL be Bacon correct??

Hello??
PoN4LIFE

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2013, 04:32:35 AM »
I somehow think it wasn't a -DE in the Mender arc.  It was more a hugely overpowered set of three special temporary powers.  If Brawling Humiliator can go in with just brawl and take them out easily... BRAWL, people... 4 hits maybe on the toughest one...  It's not -DE, it's a gigantic Luck, Rage and such, added into the three temp powers.  You had something like a +50000% temp power forcefield surrouding you and affecting all you did, so you were effectively untouchable and overpowering.

But that's a guess, to be honest.  I'd really like to know for sure, myself.

Yep, the source of the insane 'Roid Rage boost in Ramiel's arc was three mission-exclusive temp powers:

[Divine Core Oscillation] : Gigantic piles of unresistable damage added as a proc to every hit.

[Limitless Radial Freeeem!] : Every stat you've got boosted out the wazoo.

[Paradox Core Eternity] : Complete invulnerability after a time travel event. Which you were just in.

In other words, you've basically had your entire body coated with an alloy of unobtainium and wonderflonium, and the lightest tap sends the target crashing through a brick wall where they burst into flame and explode in a giant fireball.

I too think that ED was necessary for the game's health, and that you could pretty much negate it's limitations by using IOs. But a couple Ouro arcs, or an "Echo" zone, where the rules get ignored... yeah, that could be pretty sweet. 8)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2013, 05:13:10 AM »
Yep, the source of the insane 'Roid Rage boost in Ramiel's arc was three mission-exclusive temp powers:

[Divine Core Oscillation] : Gigantic piles of unresistable damage added as a proc to every hit.

[Limitless Radial Freeeem!] : Every stat you've got boosted out the wazoo.

[Paradox Core Eternity] : Complete invulnerability after a time travel event. Which you were just in.

In other words, you've basically had your entire body coated with an alloy of unobtainium and wonderflonium, and the lightest tap sends the target crashing through a brick wall where they burst into flame and explode in a giant fireball.

I'd like to play through the entire game with all three of those on at least one character.

And I'd like a limitless supply of all IOs free from every vendor for all characters.

And x10 XP.  ;)

Of course, this is why I'd prefer to be able to play the game offline.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2013, 05:15:36 AM »
I'd like to play through the entire game with all three of those on at least one character.

And I'd like a limitless supply of all IOs free from every vendor for all characters.

And x10 XP.  ;)

Of course, this is why I'd prefer to be able to play the game offline.

I suspect the game would bore you to tears quickly.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2013, 05:27:02 AM »
I suspect the game would bore you to tears quickly.

You'd suspect wrong.  Probably because you base your suspicions on your own temperament, or possibly because you missed the part where I didn't want the uber-buffs on every character.  Basically the same statement has been fed to me regarding more games than I can count, and it was wrong in every instance. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2013, 05:34:29 AM »
You'd suspect wrong.  Probably because you base your suspicions on your own temperament, or possibly because you missed the part where I didn't want the uber-buffs on every character.  Basically the same statement has been fed to me regarding more games than I can count, and it was wrong in every instance.

Yes, I do base my suspicion on my own temperament and I can imagine such settings, paired with solo play, sapping any motivation to play the game for me. You are, however, welcome to have fun any way you like.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2013, 06:08:30 AM »
I'm give or take about "godmode" myself. When I used to play Neverwinter Nights, godmode was the only way I'd play, because I was playing that game to experience the storyline in all the player-made modules and dying kept getting in the way. However in a game like Torchlight, where story is a distant backseat to the action, godmode is the last thing I would ever do, for exactly the reason that it would get very boring very fast. In a game based around challenge, removing the challenge removes the reason to play.

I say, if you're competing against someone else, then everything should be kept entirely fair; one party should not have unearned advantages over another. But if it's just you, then play the way you like it. If you want to punch a mob in Atlas Park so hard he lands in Peregrine Island, so be it. I've played games that way and it is fun. Except, as you said Tenzhi, I'd limit it to one or two characters, just for those "pure over-the-top fun" runs :D

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2013, 09:10:17 PM »
If what's bold, that is what you say, is not saying "USB2 protocol requires all devices to comply with protocol USB1", and so, "USB2 protocol incorporates protocol USB1 and more" that is, "USB2 imitates USB1 and exceed it", then I'll be damned.

USB 2.0 is not a protocol.  Its a standard.  The electrical transmission protocol for USB is NRZI with bit stuffing.  Its a very common serial encoding protocol: anyone that does work with CSU/DSUs and other carrier gear would be familiar with it (the USB3.0 standard adds 8b/10b and LFSR data encoding for superspeed mode).  The USB control protocol is identical between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 except for a couple of USB2.0-specific commands.  There is no USB2.0 protocol as such.  That's normally how protocols evolve: a new one isn't created which emulates the older one, the original one is extended to add capabilities that older systems can safely ignore.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2013, 09:16:17 PM »
The USB control protocol is identical between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 except for a couple of USB2.0-specific commands.  There is no USB2.0 protocol as such.  That's normally how protocols evolve: a new one isn't created which emulates the older one, the original one is extended to add capabilities that older systems can safely ignore.
Okay then, I meant the USB control protocol, not the USB protocol, duh.

Thanks for providing such technical info once again.
Yeeessss....