Author Topic: So is COH finally dead?  (Read 78862 times)

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
Re: So is COH finally dead?
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2013, 04:27:13 PM »
I think that it is reasonable not to pin high hopes on a speedy return of CoH.  City of Heroes is so excellent, I feel it's eventual return is likely, almost inevitable, but the future will show whether my opinion is overly optimistic or not,  So, no we don't have game.  And it's been one year, a year that had some pretty incredible creative thinking and fan activity.  Last I heard Team Wildcard hasn't given up.  And we do have City of Titans - okay, I know that's another year wait.  At minimum, we have our camaraderie & community here.

/em holdtorch

I'm fairly certain COH will not return from NCSoft. 

I fully expect COH to return in the form of a set of tools that will allow users to create and share game content that is playable in Paragon city with all of the characters and capabilities that were on the 24 beta client and also with their own custom creations and story/game content.

I would expect that those tools would be based on a general server architecture that could either establish private servers or allow solo machine play (perhaps by emulating virtual server/client(s) on a single machine)

Private server networks acting like multiple instances of our old city zones???

I will be surprised if more of those tools are not distributed in less than a year from now.

NCSoft/Paragon Studios let us create Atlas Park 33.  See you in Atlas Park 333.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2013, 05:50:26 PM »

This made me grin.  8)
(Says the woman who's had 'Rejoice in the Sun' on her "Favorites" playlist for many, many years-)
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

XboxVillain1

• Underling
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »
The CoX shutdown reminds me, in many ways, of the networks shutdown back in the day of a campy old sci-fi series that "nobody" cared about and no one wanted to support.  I think the name of it was Star Trek.

Anyone talked to Perfect World Entertainment about this then?

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »
Anyone talked to Perfect World Entertainment about this then?
One of their execs is already on record telling NCSoft of their interest.

XboxVillain1

• Underling
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2013, 03:32:29 AM »

Good, hopefully something will come of it.  They have taken much less promising projects *cough* BlackLight Retribution

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2013, 03:45:42 AM »

Are you talking about Jack's comment?

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2013, 04:04:25 AM »
Of course, that won't matter one teeny bit. There's no way NCSoft will ever release CoH, not under any circumstances.  I am absolutely convinced of that at this point.  That's why all the efforts to convince them to sell will fail - they just won't let it go.  That's why SCoRE is so important - it's the only way we'll ever get our city back.

NCSoft is pure evil and they'll cling to CoH to their dying breath, just to stick it to us.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2013, 05:17:52 AM »
Are you talking about Jack's comment?
Yup. He is technically an exec.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »
Yup. He is technically an exec.

Cryptic is the only company out there I think would have a realistic chance of being able to bring back COH if they acquired the IP.

It uses their engine and they have more of the old studio than probably anyone else.

That being said, I doubt Jack-- even if he really wanted to-- could convince PW to foot the cash to purchase COH.

Though if I were Cryptic, I would probably be designing a fresh super hero game that's close to COH's style than CO's.  Given how many COHers did not
like CO when they tried it (Though many of us do, me included), they could probably pick up a fair number of new players if they did without affecting CO's
population all that much.

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
There's no way NCSoft will ever release CoH, not under any circumstances.

I'm not convinced. They're a publicly traded company; if they have an asset which generates no revenue, whose value will diminish over time, and which brings a certain amount of bad PR (and the sale of which would generate some good PR), they can hardly refuse a generous offer from it without questions being raised by shareholders.

I think the difficulty is more that the amount of money that would be difficult to justify refusing is considerably more than CoX is worth from a purely business perspective (at this point, if you brought it back, the hard core would resubscribe, but who else?) so essentially it could only happen if someone independently wealthy did it as a labour of love.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »
If they were to bring it back, this hardcore player would play and bring about
30 new players into the game. Over time, word of mouth, from those players and myself, would build a nice community! 

/em hold torch

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2013, 05:01:05 PM »
I'm not convinced. They're a publicly traded company; if they have an asset which generates no revenue, whose value will diminish over time, and which brings a certain amount of bad PR (and the sale of which would generate some good PR), they can hardly refuse a generous offer from it without questions being raised by shareholders.

I think the difficulty is more that the amount of money that would be difficult to justify refusing is considerably more than CoX is worth from a purely business perspective (at this point, if you brought it back, the hard core would resubscribe, but who else?) so essentially it could only happen if someone independently wealthy did it as a labour of love.
I wish that were true, but there were offers to buy CoH, and NCSoft didn't even acknowledge their existence.  They just wanted CoH dead and buried - and that's what they got.  They'll never sell.  Our sorrow at City's demise warms their cold, cold hearts, to the extent that they bother to acknowledge we exist.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2013, 07:35:08 PM »

yup. but would be good PR in the long run?

More than likely, even if they brought it back soon, say in the next few months, there would be alot of up front costs from hiring to potentially an office building for the studio to operate out of for resurrecting a product that now especially at first will bring in relatively low income levels, and potentiall take long time to recoup those costs. Many ex players already sworn off ncsoft lead COX. And mroe than likely the vets taht do return probably wont feel comfortable spending as much as anywhere as they did prior. Thus which could lead to potentially another shut down situation whether because it's not bringing enough money or actually unprofitable and then restart the bad PR thing all over again. Why would they risk that?

They could sell, but NCSOFT is not the first and probably wont be the last to turn down crazy amount of money for their assets. Microsoft tried to buy facebook long time ago for about 17 billion. Z-man turned them down. Many people thought at the time he went bat crap crazy to turn down 17 billion. Luckily though in hindsight it was the right move as viewed by many but usually it dont work out like that. Think about all the porducts since 1940 that companies are still holding on to but havent seen production in decades. Why are they holding on to those assets that are not generating any sort of income and some been gone so long that it's assets that are probably near worthless now and hardly anyone remembers it? Who knows.

From the looks of it, if in fact the bad PR did as much damage as some here say it did, then more than likely they wont risk that happening again especially with the same crowd of people by bringing it back and the likely hood that it will make the same or less than it was making prior to the shut down.

on the flip side, buying an asset is a two way and pretty complicated process. Its not as easy as showing up with a bag of money saying "Here, now hand over COX." And given that there havent been any actually faactual proof of what was offered, those offers might in fact been not so generous at all or filled with too many strings attached. I.E. wanting NCSOFT to take the fall for future lawsuits on a product they would no longer own. Not saying that is or was or will be the case but  merely an example.

Or hell it may be very well that NCSOFT dont want to sell, but just because there was offers and because NCSOFT turned them down doesnt mean automatically it's due to ncsoft. NCSOFT can sell any time. The asset is not bringing in money but it's not costing money either. But selling it may indirectly cost them money especially if they ever choose from now until end of time wanting to get back into the super hero mmo. One key to business is to never shut a door permantly that one may want to open again. Simply close the door but always leave a crack in it. Fantasy games are a dime of dozen. Super hero games, I dont think there are even a dozen. NCSOFT more than likely knows this and probably dont want to be kicking themselves later down the line when they try to get in cold turkey in the super heroo mmo if and when it does take off. As long as they hold that asset, that is less work, less copyright paper work they must fill out, and the IP and concept is already there. And since many people say they will never forget COX, that means the name is known within a market already compared to having to start completely from scratch and trying to avoid being sued for infringement on something they used to own. Right now, the asset is like a ticket, a rain check, and as long as they hold on to it, no one can use COX or the lore. If they hand for a quick buck or two then it's basically a gift drop to real or potential present or future competitor. Thus may be the reason for the high price.

Like if a a person was running a software company and a competitor needed the office space that isnt being used. some people may give it to them. Many will not especially if that office space is all the competitor needs to get ahead of ya. But in business, charity and for the warm fuzzy feeling usually dont mesh unless it would be significantly profitable. There are many products being sold that if the company wanted to be warm and fuzzy and care about the customers they would lower the price of said product and assets they are not using would simply be given away just so a few people cheer them. Cheers doesnt always equate to money. It can be viewed if people was serious about spending money seriously and ensuring the health of the game they would have done so while it was alive. Now that it's dead, bringing it back especially if the bad PR was in fact a factor, it's the unknown. People want NCSOFT to make guarantees but what guarntee is given to them? Aka, besides a few warm and fuzzy cheers, what is in it for them and what guarantees do they have?

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2013, 05:00:10 AM »
Our biggest problem is the size of NCsoft relative to the value of CoH - it's basically loose change to them, so their financial situation would have to be be pretty much bankrupt before they'd be forced into selling it, as they'd have to be really desperate for cash before the few million they'd get for CoH would seem worth selling it.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2013, 05:20:20 AM »
Our biggest problem is the size of NCsoft relative to the value of CoH - it's basically loose change to them, so their financial situation would have to be be pretty much bankrupt before they'd be forced into selling it, as they'd have to be really desperate for cash before the few million they'd get for CoH would seem worth selling it.
basically.
 a couple of million to NCSOFT is like a 1 penny out of a dollar. Not many people will go out on a limb, fret, worry, or do much for a penny these days. Most people wouldn't even bother picking up a penny laying in the street. By definition it's free money, it's a penny they didn't have before, but a person that where a penny isn't going to make a difference or they wont miss a penny, probably wont pay it too much mind, hell some people refuse to carry pennies or even throw them away.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:29:57 AM by JaguarX »

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2013, 02:21:15 PM »

The only hope we've, ever, had of reviving CoH was that stranger things have happened. There's always that possility, however slim.

Spellcaster Hana

• Minion
  • City of Heroes will always and forever be my home.
    • Hana's Deviantart
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2013, 04:43:36 PM »
We have a bigger chance of bringing back CoX or at least the only thing I could think of if we're to buy NCSoft ourselves. Sadly, we need someone filthy rich who's willing to do that.  :roll:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:49:50 PM by Spellcaster Hana »
"Sometimes, crossing the line is necessary in order to move forward."
"ALL HAIL EMPEROR COLE!!!" ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
----------
My Deviantart: http://hanariblue.deviantart.com

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2013, 06:39:41 PM »

Basically we're just a bunch of Hobbits to them.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
We have a bigger chance of bringing back CoX or at least the only thing I could think of if we're to buy NCSoft ourselves. Sadly, we need someone filthy rich who's willing to do that.  :roll:
Gotta convince one why it's good business/investment to go for it. Which usually requires more than the usual warm fuzzy do it for the charity and praise from the old COX community.

Klendarin

• Underling
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2013, 08:26:26 PM »
Basically we're just a bunch of Hobbits to them.

Yeah, but the Hobbits win!  Then again, I'm almost inclined to agree with Gollum: "Stupid, fat NCSoft.  We wants it, we needs it. Must have the CoH. They stole it from us. Sneaky little NCSoft. Wicked, tricksy, false!"
AKA @Great_Cthulhu, Kelvoro, Virtue Server