Author Topic: Lay of the Land: Day 17  (Read 3856 times)

Paindancer

• Lieutenant
Lay of the Land: Day 17
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:44:49 AM »
Here we are at the 2.5 week mark.

Silence is deafening, and woefully disheartening, but it like any unknown, it can hold many things.  Its a game of chess, to which we are a small piece.

I do not think we could have played our part any better.  We have been heard and have made a impact.  As consumers acting as concerned stakeholders, we hit the mark.

I think intention to play the game, organize group trials, etc, are all in line with what we can and should be doing.  I think that is the best thing we can be dong internally.

Keeping the pressure on simmer is also good.  We probably wont hit the reactive splash we did, so now, the effort is in keeping morale up.  I do think we might want to see if we can focus on having COH players donate some funds to charities.  Homeless drive would be AWESOME press.  "Heroes are losing their virtual home, so they pony up to help others who are in the same boat"

A big role falls on TonyV, and I dont envy him.  Its a lot of pressure but he is the spotlight.  Really, he is likely gonig to continue to transition into the single focused voice for further public outreach.  but he is doing one hell of a good job!

Other than that.. its a waiting game.  Big pushes have happened, and the ball is rolling, where it stops remains to be seen.

I think, we have some great plans to reatain  community in a worst case scenario.

We also.. need to remember, and spread the word.. being a hero doesnt stop when we log out.  :)

That's my, unsolicited perspective. 

Off to the virtue walk.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:55:12 AM by Paindancer »
@vengeance mk2

The iReport:  http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-838027
(read it, share it, recommend it)

Knightward

• Minion
Re: Lay of the Land: Day 17
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:51:01 AM »
Honestly, I think the continued silence is a good thing.  The fact that they aren't saying "Our decision is final," as well as the talks going on is evidence that we are in a better position than we were 2 weeks ago.  To be a smartass, we've gone from certain failure to probable failure.  It's an improvement!  And, of course, the more we keep the pressure on the better our odds become.  I could probably phrase it better, but I'm running on all kinds of sleep deprivation.  I just want to stress that as nerve-wracking and agonizingly slow as this feels, we ARE making progress!

Beyond that, I completely agree with this post.

Paindancer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:53:14 AM »
we've gone from certain failure to probable failure.

Pure Cajun awesomesauce!
@vengeance mk2

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 03:32:47 AM »
It's nothing short of foolish to expect the initial surge of emotion to sustain us forever. We need underlying conviction to go further than that. We have the organizational infrastructure in place, and we have the people--should we need them. We just need to take steps to make sure our story doesn't fade from the news completely while we bide our time.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 03:36:15 AM »
My conviction remains unbroken. FREE PARAGON! FREE PARAGON! *pumps fist* >.>

But yes, it is now a waiting game. Activate Patience Defense, keep up the community cheer, and don't let yourselves get disheartened.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 04:02:24 AM »
It's nothing short of foolish to expect the initial surge of emotion to sustain us forever. We need underlying conviction to go further than that. We have the organizational infrastructure in place, and we have the people--should we need them. We just need to take steps to make sure our story doesn't fade from the news completely while we bide our time.

This is a REALLY good time to take things mainstream.  Keep writing stories about the community, use those testimonials, post on specialty blogs (cancer survivors, ADHD, Autism, Panic Disorders, Abuse survivors).  Post on BUSINESS blogs citing that White Paper and the employee reviews on Glassdoor.  Both can be incredibly effective. 
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 04:10:49 AM »
I just wanted to post this for you Tony. I just recieved word that my local newspaper is going to do the story.  So i have high hopes of getting some of our goals into print as well. Hopefully mainstream media will inspire ncsoft to break their silence.

There's a foot in the door.  The industry-based media started with just a foot in the door.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 04:25:35 AM »
This is a REALLY good time to take things mainstream.  Keep writing stories about the community, use those testimonials, post on specialty blogs (cancer survivors, ADHD, Autism, Panic Disorders, Abuse survivors).  Post on BUSINESS blogs citing that White Paper and the employee reviews on Glassdoor.  Both can be incredibly effective.
As usual, she has a point.  I don't doubt the convictions of the Cities community, and we need to make sure the outside world doesn't either.  More press = more better.

Paindancer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 04:38:54 AM »
A little bird *might* have put the whitepaper in a Korean Bloomberg correspondent's inbox.  We will see if they bite.
@vengeance mk2

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 04:51:19 AM »
A little bird *might* have put the whitepaper in a Korean Bloomberg correspondent's inbox.  We will see if they bite.
Ooo.  That's a smart little bird.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
Keeping the pressure on simmer is also good.  We probably wont hit the reactive splash we did, so now, the effort is in keeping morale up.  I do think we might want to see if we can focus on having COH players donate some funds to charities.  Homeless drive would be AWESOME press.  "Heroes are losing their virtual home, so they pony up to help others who are in the same boat"

We also.. need to remember, and spread the word.. being a hero doesnt stop when we log out.  :)

This 1000 times!  This was the last thing I read last night before going to work, and I work long shifts so it was in my head for a looooong time.  We raised the $1000 very quickly for the devs to lunch on us.  Many people didn't get to donate before it was closed.  Also, I know there is a superhero themed charity in Seattle (can't remember their name but didn't they come from CoH?).  Would it be possible to coordinate a huge, week long charity drive for a homeless shelter or some other well known homeless charity in Seattle, then partner with the superhero group there in some high profile press conference and have someone in costume, possibly in character even, present a giant check to some homeless charity?  We could even prepare some kind of speech about how we are nearing virtual homelessness, but there are people far less fortunate than us.  Local television stations could be contacted in advance and this could be a big deal.  Also, even if we can't save the game, this donation could be something we could be proud of as a community and really go out with a bang!

Sorry if this isn't a good idea.  Like I said earlier, I just got home from work and I work nights.  I get a little looney when I'm this tired, but then again I've been thinking about it all night.