Author Topic: Future of gaming?  (Read 7350 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Future of gaming?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 05:54:21 AM »
For me, it comes down to backwards compatibility and mods. When was the last time you saw either for a console game on any system?

Uhmm... PS2? Nearly a decade ago. First generation only. Seconds generation, they stopped that nonsense.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 12:37:24 PM »
Yeah, to me it's not nonsense. I like being able to play old game sometimes without having to keep all my old systems around to run them. Maybe that makes me weird, I dunno.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 12:45:51 PM »
Heh. We just bought a replacement for each of our first two generation PS's. The punch line is that they were Christmas presents, because each of the boys had asked for one. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 01:35:14 PM »
Thinking on subscription gaming services and particularly the comment about what would happen if Steam came out with its own console, I had a thought:

What if said console had the explicit capability of burning and even stamping DVDs with logos of the game(s) that you own in Steam? You can then play from that disk or even take it with you elsewhere.

The disk is hard-written with your account information, asking for your Steam logon when you load it up on a machine that isn't logged onto the internet with your account info to confirm you are who you say you are. Off the top of my head, I think public-key encryption could be used to make sure that the disk itself never needs to have your logon info in a form that's "sniffable" by somebody who steals your disks. I'm not positive on this, though; I'm writing this as a quick idea rather than something deeply thought-out.

It would kill "right of first sale," but Steam doesn't really support that well anyway. A secondary buyer would find the fact that he's addressed by the original owner's name in most places mildly irritating, too, I'm sure. What would be a convenient feature that makes all the owner's preference settings pop into place for Steam while the disk is in use would be another irritant to a thief or a "black market" purchaser. Thus, there would be no need to restrict the printing and burning of these DVDs. Lose one? Print another...or just use it off your HD. Whatever floats your boat. You're rarely if ever successfully pirating.

It would still leave you free to really say you own your games, even if you lack space on the console's hard drive to save them all and even if Steam were to go out of business or the internet itself were to be shut down.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 01:50:59 PM »
Yeah, to me it's not nonsense. I like being able to play old game sometimes without having to keep all my old systems around to run them. Maybe that makes me weird, I dunno.
forgot the quotation marks.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 06:07:17 PM »
Thinking on subscription gaming services and particularly the comment about what would happen if Steam came out with its own console

You mean like this?

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/valve-steam-box-release-date-news-and-features-1127072

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 09:57:56 PM »
Something like that could be put together from Newegg for under $300. I kinda like those prospects. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."