Author Topic: Community-Built COH Style MMORPG  (Read 127245 times)

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
Re: Community-Built COH Style MMORPG
« Reply #380 on: June 02, 2013, 02:09:53 PM »
She isn't actually topless, just very close - it's beyond underwear, just a little patch over the nipples, like a really scant bikini. But from many angles you can't even tell it's there  :o

Aviticus Gladius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #381 on: June 03, 2013, 04:32:18 AM »
Our finalized female character and the first outfit is being applied for customizing. Should make it in this weeks build.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #382 on: June 05, 2013, 01:40:28 AM »
This week, this week, this week! Dammit, just focus on the Time Manip set, I think it's going to be the most immediately useful.

Solaris

• Minion
« Reply #383 on: June 08, 2013, 12:58:52 AM »
I just heard about this from a friend. Not sure how I missed seeing this thread, but there you go... Looking forward to see where this goes.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #384 on: June 09, 2013, 02:48:04 AM »
You're hardly the only one Solaris. Let's just be happy for such a pleasant surprise. These guys are seriously revved, and TPP is moving along nicely as well. It's only right a game like CoH should spawn more than one admirer. There just hasn't been enough varierty in the genre of super hero MMO's till now.

Well there's going to be....

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #385 on: June 11, 2013, 02:37:57 AM »
Is anyone actively funding this op?  Saw they posted a fundraiser on their site for 6K to push through to pre-alpha.  Don't know if it's legit effort but I was planning to help all the Zs with donations if I could.

PS - not a paid advertiser. Just curious if this is an actively supported endeavor by any of my cox peers.

Deathmint

• Underling
« Reply #386 on: June 11, 2013, 03:52:36 AM »
Download/Play link is down. I would love to jump in on this. Will there be a working link again soon? I see news for a public stress test. Going to be checking this thread for updates. :)

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #387 on: June 12, 2013, 12:04:56 AM »
This is not their primary location by any means, it's not the best place to watch for them. For updates, you're better off following their Facebook page. For the latest build to download and use, check their site. Links to follow. (the builds linked to earlier on this thread are now old and will no longer work).

https://www.facebook.com/ValianceOnline

http://valiance.shogn.net/index.php/forum?func=view&catid=11&id=190

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #388 on: June 12, 2013, 12:06:42 AM »
Is anyone actively funding this op?  Saw they posted a fundraiser on their site for 6K to push through to pre-alpha.  Don't know if it's legit effort but I was planning to help all the Zs with donations if I could.

PS - not a paid advertiser. Just curious if this is an actively supported endeavor by any of my cox peers.

It is very legit, check out their Facebook page and download their build and see for yourself! Please do help donate. And join the Kickstarter prep drive - TPP have set the date at September 8th and asked us to build up their base before then to ensure a successful campaign. Facebook likes, twitter follows - that sort of thing.

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #389 on: June 17, 2013, 04:06:53 PM »
I think this thread needs to be renamed to Valiance Online so people can actually find it. This is the closest thing we have to getting that COH feeling back, as of now. The progress they are making is incredible. I can't wait for them to be done!

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #390 on: June 21, 2013, 05:38:51 AM »
@TDGeorge, that's one of the things we are changing up with Valiance Online. Instead of using the mouse as a modifier for looking/strafing, the game will always use asdw as it would if you held the mouse-click modifier in most MMOs; freeing up the mouse buttons for combat.

"Always"? We won't be able to re-map the key assignments? I got so used to using Q and E for turning, A and D for strafing, and the mouse for clicking powers in CoH that I re-mapped as many other games to that as I could. Or am I reading this wrong? (It wouldn't surprise me; it's late.) I avoided using the mouse for movement because there was no "level flight" key to restore the toon to horizontal flight when steering with the mouse.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #391 on: June 21, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »
When I try creating a character, it displays "Status: Creating Character", and stays like that. I've let it run for minutes, several times, and have never gotten past that screen.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:04:40 PM by Super Firebug »

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #392 on: June 21, 2013, 05:15:13 PM »
"Always"? We won't be able to re-map the key assignments? I got so used to using Q and E for turning, A and D for strafing, and the mouse for clicking powers in CoH that I re-mapped as many other games to that as I could.

I would also like to have the option to re-map key assignments so that they work the same way they did in CoX.

TL;DR-- I second this.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #393 on: June 22, 2013, 03:54:46 PM »
I would also like to have the option to re-map key assignments so that they work the same way they did in CoX.

TL;DR-- I second this.

If this is what you consider tl;dr, I would hate to try and decypher a text from you. ;)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #394 on: June 23, 2013, 03:42:23 AM »
If this is what you consider tl;dr, I would hate to try and decypher a text from you. ;)

The last part of it has her seconding her own statement, so I thought it was a tagline, myself - something automatically added.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #395 on: June 23, 2013, 10:12:08 PM »

...I was trying to make a joke.  For some reason, I can only be funny by accident.

Aviticus Gladius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #396 on: June 24, 2013, 02:02:02 AM »
Greetings Everyone:

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this post. I'll be posting an official thread for Valiance Online here next week. We've been grinding out major updates for a new build scheduled for release next week. There is a lot of progress being made, so I'll post update logs to our forums with links on the new Titan forum thread. We are working really hard to release weekly or bi-weekly build updates. We're currently finalizing our game launcher which will auto-update builds to the latest updates. Upon entering the game world, you will see an "updates log" screen that will show you what we've added. Look for a post from us some time next week, and thanks as always for your support.

-Aaron

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #397 on: June 25, 2013, 11:29:28 PM »
Thank you for the update, AG! Very good to hear from you and very well done on your continual progress!
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

airpain

• Underling
« Reply #398 on: June 26, 2013, 05:30:42 AM »
Just my 2 cents:

It would be nice if a world was created first where we could all be there and chat with each other before all the pretty stuff was done.

A major feature that made CoH unique was the chat system where we could all visit each other.

I would think it would give the designers a way to see how many are interested, the bandwidth requirements, etc.  Those that are interested would be hanging around, maybe generate a fair amount of interest ...

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #399 on: June 28, 2013, 03:40:48 AM »
My only concern: It looks like the other games in development for your company are also at the same state as Valiance Online, if not in the planning stages alone.  Gaming companies rarely work on a single title without major backing, but indie houses have no rules.  All the same, are you sure you're not spreading yourself too thin with Legends of Etherell and Elite Units (both games that you have attributed for yourself as a leading role)?  I believe the programming experience is there, but tempered ambitions make for improved confidence.  Are you really aiming at three titles at once?

While I did buy into Star Trek Online, if Cryptic tried to develop Champions Online and Star Trek Online from the same planning stage at the same time, I'd feel the same way.  (Granted, this game may be an orange that I'm comparing to apples, and certainly not of the same weight or even field.)

Don't get me wrong, I do dig the work ethic-- It's probably your elevator pitch when talking to others about SHOGN... "MMO development meets the Google-esque 'Always Iterate' mindset" (especially on Titan Network: even if we end up with a glorified 3D Superhero Chat Room for a year before combat actually works, we'd get part of our lifestyle back with that alone), and I'm interested in playtesting (how often can you watch a MMORPG get built in front of you?) but all the same I'm still skeptical.

I will keep watching, but I'd like to know more about the roadmap and where things are going before I donate.  That's my "FUD" if you want to address it, others may feel differently of course.  (I did read the prior posts, and this is the only question I had that isn't answered.)

But don't chalk me up to doomsaying or malice, you have as much of a chance as Missing Worlds or PZ Studios at this stage.  City of Heroes isn't my first dance with doom: As a Browncoat, there's been past efforts like these involving my community that I sense will fill my buckets full of joy, but most times, they wind up weighing the same as the air they came with when I bought them.  Right now, I'm also watching webOS Nation sputter to a general halt waiting for an open sourcing renaissance that just won't come  ...I'm just bein' careful.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:00:57 AM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran